• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Big Ass Superior Thread of Learning Japanese

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laws00

I posted this in the Japan Gaf thread.

Can someone give the name of these Mangas that a friend gave to me please.

20160122_062510_zps2uipffmi.jpg

Lol it sure does

Im interested in whats on the dvd. Luckily i have a Japanese region 2 ps2.

Does the magazine on the left really come with a DVD? The blurb on the cover says "4 hours of footage" to be presented to all people who apply (I'm assuming they have one of those tear-out postcards for mailing inside the pages).

Laws00

Does the magazine on the left really come with a DVD? The blurb on the cover says "4 hours of footage" to be presented to all people who apply (I'm assuming they have one of those tear-out postcards for mailing inside the pages).

Yes
there is something incased in thick paper and i cant bend seems like id break it. I show whats allowable when i get home

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Passed N1!

Thank God, time for 漢字検定 etc.

Congratulations! Didn't know the results were out. I'll have to check if I can remember my login information.

Resilient

Congrats!

US results are supposed to go up tomorrow I think. Not feeling too optimistic, but I guess we'll see.

how come you aren't feeling confident? how did you find the test? which parts were toughest for you + what kind of study did you do? peppering you with questions atm :p

GSR

how come you aren't feeling confident? how did you find the test? which parts were toughest for you + what kind of study did you do? peppering you with questions atm :p

What, trying to rub salt in the wounds? I thought that was expert's job. =P

I took N1. Like last year (where I took N2 and smashed it), my main study was from about a month before the test when I started drilling kanji/vocab multiple times a day. I also had some of the Shin Kanzen Master books and Tettei Drill, though I didn't have time to work on those until closer to the test. I also took the official N1 sample book and it went decently.

The main thing that hit me harder than expected was the listening. For whatever reason it was very in-one-ear-out-the-other on the day of, and while I think I probably still passed listening, I suspect I don't have as much of a buffer there as I'd hoped to have to make up for any issues in the other sections.

Basically though, if I fail it was largely a function of life leading up to the test being very busy and keeping me from studying as seriously as I should have. (And to be clear, that also includes me just not prioritizing study throughout the year as much as I should have - can't blame circumstances for everything!)

Resilient

What, trying to rub salt in the wounds? I thought that was expert's job. =P

I took N1. Like last year (where I took N2 and smashed it), my main study was from about a month before the test when I started drilling kanji/vocab multiple times a day. I also had some of the Shin Kanzen Master books and Tettei Drill, though I didn't have time to work on those until closer to the test. I also took the official N1 sample book and it went decently.

The main thing that hit me harder than expected was the listening. For whatever reason it was very in-one-ear-out-the-other on the day of, and while I think I probably still passed listening, I suspect I don't have as much of a buffer there as I'd hoped to have to make up for any issues in the other sections.

Basically though, if I fail it was largely a function of life leading up to the test being very busy and keeping me from studying as seriously as I should have. (And to be clear, that also includes me just not prioritizing study throughout the year as much as I should have - can't blame circumstances for everything!)

haha. nah I just wanted to grab N1 impressions where I could. it goes like that doesn't it; shit gets in the way + a little bit of laziness through the year and suddenly you're scrambling a few weeks before. reminds me of uni. i think listening is what i fear the most; when I take it i plan to be at a level where that just...isn't an option. but we'll see. i think if you walked out of the test feeling like you did ok, and the most you lost was your buffer, you should be fine. it's only when you leave it thinking, "i just fucked my whole shit up" that it's a problem. fingers crossed! you're in Japan though aren't you? no biggie if you can just take it again at mid-year.

GSR

haha. nah I just wanted to grab N1 impressions where I could. it goes like that doesn't it; shit gets in the way + a little bit of laziness through the year and suddenly you're scrambling a few weeks before. reminds me of uni. i think listening is what i fear the most; when I take it i plan to be at a level where that just...isn't an option. but we'll see. i think if you walked out of the test feeling like you did ok, and the most you lost was your buffer, you should be fine. it's only when you leave it thinking, "i just fucked my whole shit up" that it's a problem. fingers crossed! you're in Japan though aren't you? no biggie if you can just take it again at mid-year.

Nope! If I was I'd already know if I passed or not, haha.

I do wish they ran it twice a year in NA, but that's life. I actually think there's one place in Canada that does the summer exam as well, but it wasn't really feasible to get out there for me.

Resilient

Nope! If I was I'd already know if I passed or not, haha.

I do wish they ran it twice a year in NA, but that's life. I actually think there's one place in Canada that does the summer exam as well, but it wasn't really feasible to get out there for me.

ah i see. i'm in Au so we only do it once as well. i'm gonna fly over to NZ for a sneaky mid year exam tho and then some snowboarding+middle earth..gives me the opportunity to double up which is neat.

urfe

Thanks everyone.

I passed, but I could've done a lot better. Below is my score ( you need 100 to pass N1). The lack of studying shows in my grammar score.

CZnfKmmWkAErwyr.jpg

I haven't even looked into the 漢字検定 yet, but I doubt anything as high as 3級. Isn't there writing too? I'm shit at writing kanji from memory.

Aizo

Banned
I'm curious how close to 100% Zefah got. Some Korean guy who is friends with some of my Japanese friends from 上智 got 100% on N1 last year. I was impressed by that.

GSR

Holy hell I passed N1. It was damn close (22/60 on 言語知識 and 108 overall) but I'll take it.

My breakdown for 言語 was C for vocab and A for grammar, which, yep, that sounds about right.

leroidys

I feel ya with how nitpicky wanikani can be about some word definitions, but ~人 being people and not person is not wrong imo. It's the counter they're asking for, and you can't say "two person". People is more natural there. Btw you can add your own synonyms if you get one wrong, so you could add "a few" yourself to 少 and next time it'll accept that definition. I use it a lot.

I've fixed a lot of minor annoyances I have with WaniKani through userscripts, such as adding an "ignore answer" button in case you get a word wrong because of a typo (watch out you don't abuse it) and I've seen scripts that change the review order which fixes that thing you mentioned about wanting to drill the words you keep getting wrong. There are tons of scripts available on the forum and they're incredibly easy to install. Give it a try!

I recently bought WaniKani Lifetime when it was on sale. I'm level 12 now I think and I'm finally getting to the "good stuff" (new things :p). It's really a fantastic way to review kanji and making sure you don't forget them.

Where does the free content take you to? Do they give the kana reading to you for 少?
ー人 is probably listed as people because it's trying to say 一人 、 二人 instead of just ひと which you would assume is written as 人。

Oh wow, these are fantastic tips! I had no idea that this stuff was even possible. To me personally, counters make more sense in the singular, as it's like "10 things of type person", and further Japanese *does* have non-productive ways of making plural nouns, so I think it's best not to try and map on the English conception of plurality when possible. Either way though, wanikani isn't even internally consistent. For ~台 they only list singular- "Big Machine, Big Device, Machine, Device, Machine Counter".

As to your question Resilient, the free content goes up through level 3 for kanji/radicals/vocab.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm curious how close to 100% Zefah got. Some Korean guy who is friends with some of my Japanese friends from 上智 got 100% on N1 last year. I was impressed by that.

100% is highly unlikely even for a native speaker who knows the language well, so that is a very impressive result. I'm curious to see how well I did, too! Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the results are out yet for overseas exam locations.

Resilient

Holy hell I passed N1. It was damn close (22/60 on 言語知識 and 108 overall) but I'll take it.

My breakdown for 言語 was C for vocab and A for grammar, which, yep, that sounds about right.

you did it son
you the real MVP
and yeah, 108 - you'll definitely take it! congrats mate. now to just...continue to saturate yourself in as much content as you can..

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Yeah, 2 of my fellow 日研生 with whom I was on scholarship here got 100% on N1. Both were Korean.

Resilient

Failed the N1 by 10 marks. Well shit.

that's not so bad dude. i dont know your circumstances or if there is an urgency for you to get N1. but look at it this way. the people above who passed it (i'm not taking a dig at you guys) barely made it over the line. to me, that says

1. you're good enough to pass it
2. you still need to do some serious work

we've talked about this shiz for days over the last few weeks, but the learning never stops (the ride never ends). so...really, what else could you have done? studied harder? procrastinated less? maybe it doesn't retain easily for you compared to others? you did what you could. and now that you know your result, you should be saying to yourself, time to go harder. work out how you're gonna do it and start now. the next exam is in 4.5 months, that's heaps of time to study. it's also really not that far away, so you can easily try again. don't aim to pass this time, aim for 90% or something.

take it the result and use it to fuel you. you'll get it next time if you do. i mean if i got 55% i'd be like, shit yeah i passed, but also, damn son i really need to do more work.

Philippo

Phew, passed the N3, honestly did not expected it, i also spent two months convinced of having thrown lots of mony down the toilet.

I guess it's a nice consolation from having failed yesterday's Japanese exam in my university, which has automatically delayed my graduation from July to November :/

Also should totally remember this thread for next time, had lots of questions these day i had no idea where to look answers for.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Damn, I wasn't expecting this...

Got 100%

I know you're good enough to actually get 100%, but are you just pulling our legs because of the last couple of posts? Cause I gotta be honest: the numbers kinda look photoshopped in.

If not, then congratulations, man. Incredible.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I know you're good enough to actually get 100%, but are you just pulling our legs because of the last couple of posts? Cause I gotta be honest: the numbers kinda look photoshopped in.

If not, then congratulations, man. Incredible.

Nah, I wouldn't do something like that.

It might look weird because I saved it as a PDF first and then screen captured the relevant portion on my Mac.

I'm honestly surprised myself. I figured I would have got at least a few wrong.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Nah, I wouldn't do something like that.

It might look weird because I saved it as a PDF first and then screen captured the relevant portion on my Mac.

I'm honestly surprised myself. I figured I would have got at least a few wrong.

Well then, congratulations again!

I know where you're coming from. I've never taken the TOEIC test (basically the equivalent of the JLPT for English) because I would be too afraid to make even a single mistake. I couldn't settle for anything less than 100% for the TOEIC cause it's honestly a joke.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well then, congratulations again!

I know where you're coming from. I've never taken the TOEIC test (basically the equivalent of the JLPT for English) because I would be too afraid to make even a single mistake. I couldn't settle for anything less than 100% for the TOEIC cause it's honestly a joke.

Thanks!

I remember when I was back in college and all of my Japanese friends were so hung up on their TOEIC scores. I took a sample test (excluding the listening portion) once and I think I aced it. It didn't seem like anything a native speaker at college level would have any trouble with. I know you're not a native English speaker, but I have a hard time imagining you would get anything wrong on TOEIC unless the content has changed since ten or so years ago.

Resilient

Lol Zefah nicely done :p

So for the N1 people;
What was the most obscure Kanji that came up (and by extension, type of vocab)?
How many kanji were you confident with going into the exam? Where was your vocab at? I notice a few of you got right on the mark for passing, what happened?

Zefah you're included on this q!

Desmond

So for the N1 people;
How many kanji were you confident with going into the exam? Where was your vocab at? I notice a few of you got right on the mark for passing, what happened?

Vocab definitely let me down.

I use flashcards a lot but I only really remember something when I hear a friend say it or hear it on TV. Rote-learning doesn't help.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Thanks!

I remember when I was back in college and all of my Japanese friends were so hung up on their TOEIC scores. I took a sample test (excluding the listening portion) once and I think I aced it. It didn't seem like anything a native speaker at college level would have any trouble with. I know you're not a native English speaker, but I have a hard time imagining you would get anything wrong on TOEIC unless the content has changed since ten or so years ago.

Thank you for the kind words. I'm sure I would get a great score, but you're underestimating my ability to lose my concentration and make dumb mistakes :p. I'm even more prone to it if the thing as a whole is a piece of cake.

I've thought of taking the Cambridge test as well (which is way, WAY harder) as well, but I'm not sure it's that useful. It's not that well-known.

urfe

So for the N1 people;

I studied "for the test" about a week I think. I only passed due to using Japanese at work, and the Japanese I know being on the test.

I couldn't give you any sort of quantitative information on where my kanji or vocab is at. I'm not sure what constitutes at obscure kanji either honestly. I think it's all joyo.

Resilient

I studied "for the test" about a week I think. I only passed due to using Japanese at work, and the Japanese I know being on the test.

I couldn't give you any sort of quantitative information on where my kanji or vocab is at. I'm not sure what constitutes at obscure kanji either honestly. I think it's all joyo.

Yeah thinking about that's a pretty dumb question. It's like you said. I'm nearing the end of the list and was expecting some crazier 25+ stroke stuff but it's all kind of simple. And easier too as they start having only one reading. I dunno I'm just interesting in getting as much info out of people who took the test.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Nice! That must be quite reassuring. You don't live in Japan anymore, right? You have a reason to be using Japanese daily still?

Yeah, both at home and at work. Honestly, a lot of days I probably end up using Japanese more than English despite living in the U.S. I also take trips to Japan multiple times a year (mostly for work).

KanameYuuki

I decided to go to jp classes a few weeks ago, it's been quite fun, only one day each week though but it's better than nothing I guess, I'm pretty much on my own when it comes to hobbies and all of that so it's cool to be close to people with your same goals, after finishing reading my first book to learn by myself I don't know what happened but it was like a month and a half that I did not care about learning but I'm trying to get back into it (I sound like a veteran that got burned out after 5 years but I guess it's also normal to newcomers or at least I hope so haha)

Teacher did the test and he got N2 so that's reassuring regarding his knowledge, the dude is quite cool haha, he is like a roll model.

Something quite funny happened yesterday while I was reviewing my book, while I was reading into the very basic stuff I was craving for there to be Kanjis, they are not that scary symbol anymore, but instead they feel more intuitive and so much more practical for readability purposes.
Just a post to check in and share some stuff in my life.

Aizo

Banned
Yeah, both at home and at work. Honestly, a lot of days I probably end up using Japanese more than English despite living in the U.S. I also take trips to Japan multiple times a year (mostly for work).
I don't recall if you have said your line of work ever, although that's likely intentional.

Edit:
Teacher did the test and he got N2 so that's reassuring regarding his knowledge, the dude is quite cool haha, he is like a roll model.
That's not reassuring at all, regardless of how impressive his rolling is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom