• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit Rumor: PSVR price to be $428 (bundle) and $299 (standalone)

I believe Sony WANTS PSVR to play with a more mainstream demographic, but at $439/$299 they're pricing themselves out of that market. No 'normal' person is going to buy a peripheral at that price, without a tremendous software lineup to back it up. At this price, they're ensuring only enthusiasts will buy one - and that's where the other headsets have staked a claim.
Nobody knows the future. So you cannot say with certainty what will happen. So no point worrying about whether Sony is pricing themselves out of their target range. I doubt sales will say mushroomer25 has a point and then Sony changes their plan.

dukeoflegs

This hobby is going to start getting more expensive for me. If I get this and a lot of AAA games are supported, I will be looking at buying a steering wheel and a flight stick, and those aren't cheap.

Nobody knows the future. So you cannot say with certainty what will happen. So no point worrying about whether Sony is pricing themselves out of their target range. I doubt sales will say mushroomer25 has a point and then Sony changes their plan.

Sure, I could be wrong. But that's the point of speculation. It's kind of why any of us are here in the first place.

This is also the company that once priced a console at $599, and believed consumers would get a second job to cover the cost. They are not immune to bad decisions.

Rainer70

Sure, I could be wrong. But that's the point of speculation. It's kind of why any of us are here in the first place.

This is also the company that once priced a console at $599, and believed consumers would get a second job to cover the cost. They are not immune to bad decisions.

This is a common misconception.

The head of Sony games Ken Kutaragi said to Japanese economics publication Toyo Keizai today that Sony's PS3 strategy is "for consumers to think to themselves 'I will work more hours to buy one'. We want people to feel that they want it, irrespective of anything else."

While this quote has been mildly ridiculed in blogs like Engadget, T3 , and (surprise surprise) Kotaku, these remarks taken in context may make more sense. The audience for whom the quote was intended also helps to qualify Kutaragi's remarks. Japan is only now crawling out of a recession that has lasted over a decade; low birth rates resulting in a dwindling population, along with the high Yen, mean a shrinking consumer market. At this point economists may want to hear of ways to motivate people to work, save, and buy. If the PS3 can do that in some ways, why not? According to analysts' predictions, Sony will be subsidizing the cost of the new console anyway. Still, the quote hints that the price point of the PS3 may be the highest ever for a games console. That's a pretty risky move, considering that the Xbox 360 will likely already have been out for at least a few months by the time the PS3 debuts.
http://www.1up.com/news/ps3-job

Cynn

No doubt starting from scratch is a hell of an outlay $800 or so. Little Timmy is gonna say to his parents that he wants a VR headset, only for the parents to then realise what's required, then keel over from shock. It's fair to say it's gonna take a long time to hit the big time.
I don't think little Timmy is the target audience for this device. This is an adult enthusiast play.

RiverBed

Banned
I am willing to give this an honest try- given enough games are supported. I am in no rush; when it releases, I'll check the launch year of its games and see if it is compelling. After all, when it is released, it won't disappear from the market. I also aim at games beyond the 'first experience' design- i.e. games I want to keep playing and come back to as apposed to 'wow, look at that' and never touching it again.

I bought the EyeToy with it's launch game collection, and it was a novelty. That GG game about mechs looked fun. Let's see how far they push VR.

Both those prices sound great. I don't have any Move controllers but I do have a camera, however, going by those price points listed, I'd have to see what game is packed in with the bundle because if it's a $40-60 title separately then Just buying the $300 kit, plus two Move controllers, plus a game is going to put me at the same price point as a bundle, so I'd rather just get that and snag an extra camera along with it.

I think both price points are more than reasonable to get a bunch of people on board.

kyser73

The single panel is indeed curved, the specs released by Sony show it as so. In regards to the pixel arrangement, I've seen nothing to contradict the earlier reports? More pixels in the centre FOV, fewer in the outter regions. The end result is same number of pixels, less SDE and sharper overall image when looking at the centre. Can you link to your sources please?

Where's your source for the curved screen? I've never seen it mentioned anywhere in relation to PSVR, and I consider myself reasonably well informed on it.

leehom

$400 is my max for another long line of gimmicks.

Hopefully I'll get more use out of it than the others. (ps camera, move, kinect, wii, wii u pad, samsung gear vr, etc).

Where's your source for the curved screen? I've never seen it mentioned anywhere in relation to PSVR, and I consider myself reasonably well informed on it.

Hmmm, looking around I found CNET's impressions piece from PSX last December that said "the PlayStation VR is a tethered headset that uses special curved lenses to magnify and stretch a 5.7-inch screen across your field of vision.", noting in their specs that the 5.7" screen refers to an OLED screen.

kyser73

Hmmm, looking around I found CNET's impressions piece from PSX last December that said "the PlayStation VR is a tethered headset that uses special curved lenses to magnify and stretch a 5.7-inch screen across your field of vision.", noting in their specs that the 5.7" screen refers to an OLED screen.

Right, the optics are "curved" but the screen isn't.

Yup, curved lenses was the only reference to 'curve' I could find as well.

CONCH0BAR

Shit, if this thing really is $430 for the whole package AND is forward-compatible with 1st-gen PS5 VR games, I'm there day 1. Do it, Sony.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Sure thing, here's my source. However, it might be worth some scepticism - it appears that their details over at Sony's website don't mention the OLED panel being curved. Not sure if Sony aren't talking about it, or if the design spec has changed since that email went around.

kyser73

OT - I will be happy to spend as much on this as I did the console at launch, but will be happier if there are options that mean I only have to buy the HMD & box, as I have all the other kit.

Especially if those options are cheaper :)

Sure thing. However, it might be worth some scepticism - it appears that their details over at Sony's website don't mention the OLED panel being curved. Not sure if Sony aren't talking about it, or if the design spec has changed since that email went around.

Thanks!

That's the only place I've seen the scree described as curved - it's not in any of their external marketing & PR, and isn't in the PSVR section of PlayStation.com.

Would be interesting if true though.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Thanks!

That's the only place I've seen the scree described as curved - it's not in any of their external marketing & PR, and isn't in the PSVR section of PlayStation.com.

Would be interesting if true though.
Np, been trying to keep up to date, though Sony aren't being too forthcoming at this point.

In any case, Sony are more than aware of the issues that lower resolutions can cause. DK2 had the same resolution as the PSVR, however the hands on I've read say Sony's HMD is a significant step up from that. The only difference can be the lens and panel setup, though to be fair I have no idea how much of an improvement a curved screen would actually be to a VR HMD.

Still glad I picked up 4 move controllers when I saw them special for like $10 each a few years ago. I should probably charge them up to make sure they actually work. :p

Would be down for that price. I already have a PS4 cam but only used it once. and have some Move controllers from the PS3.

I just hope that they dont get too greedy and charge too much in Australia.

DieH@rd

Banned
Do you have a link to where they officially state that the DS4 will be the main VR controller? I haven't read that.

Yoshida talked about it few times. Of course, there is a chance that Moves will be a part of EVERY VR SKU, but I don't think that will happen. There will be cheap SKU.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The positive reactions in this thread might suggest they could get away with $100 more :)

They could have gotten away with making PS4 $100 more, too.

DieH@rd

Banned
If this is true I'm in day 1. I might even buy 2 headsets if there's any demonstrable ability to play co-op within a VR game.

There will be coop experiences, but not using one PS4 to power both players. Anyways, PS4 has only one HDMI port so only one headset per console can be supported.

So is the rumored non-camera option for those who already own one? I'm under the impression that this thing requires the camera, and only some games will require the move controllers. Why not include the camera in all packs, it can't be that expensive to build right? I see this causing a lot of headaches next holiday season...

Only for people who CAN'T READ big and eye-catchy text on the box, or who ignore the advices of sales personnel.

It is 100% fine to offer camera-less sku. I don't want to purchase additional camera, and general population will learn what is in the cheaper SKU. If they don't, then they deserve their headache.

gmoran

More pixels in the centre FOV, fewer in the outter regions. The end result is same number of pixels, less SDE and sharper overall image when looking at the centre. Can you link to your sources please?

Yes, this was revealed by Sony in a Dev conference last autumn and is on Youtube.

The single panel is indeed curved, the specs released by Sony show it as so. In regards to the pixel arrangement, I've seen nothing to contradict the earlier reports? More pixels in the centre FOV, fewer in the outter regions. The end result is same number of pixels, less SDE and sharper overall image when looking at the centre. Can you link to your sources please?
The single panel has never once been announced or hinted as curved. If it was curved they'd make a large deal about it, because curved screens are expensive and only recently have devices with curved screens been seen (like the Samsung Edge phones). If you can point me towards those specs released by Sony that say it is that'd be very useful.

The pixel arrangement thing was someone watching a Sony video and ignoring the fact that they were talking about the optics, not the screen. Sony has never said the screen was anything out of the ordinary aside from being OLED with an RGBRGB sub pixel arrangement (which isn't out of the ordinary).

https://youtube.com/watch?v=3RNbZpcfAhE
At 14:55 is where the misunderstanding starts, note he is talking specifically about optics during that section, not the screen.

The single panel has never once been announced or hinted as curved. If it was curved they'd make a large deal about it, because curved screens are expensive and only recently have devices with curved screens been seen (like the Samsung Edge phones). If you can point me towards those specs released by Sony that say it is that'd be very useful.

The pixel arrangement thing was someone watching a Sony video and ignoring the fact that they were talking about the optics, not the screen. Sony has never said the screen was anything out of the ordinary aside from being OLED with an RGBRGB sub pixel arrangement (which isn't out of the ordinary).

https://youtube.com/watch?v=3RNbZpcfAhE
At 14:55 is where the misunderstanding starts, note he is talking specifically about optics during that section, not the screen.

His source is actually this:

http://view.playstationmail.net/?j=...em_211309&et_rid=22364917&Linkid=Morpheus&r=0

orochi91

I do wonder about it though. It's the only mention of it. Perhaps a typo of sorts?

This is literally the first I've heard of that which seems really strange.

For real, I just googled "PSVR curved OLED" and nothing really came up, with respect to coverage on the major gaming sites.

This seems like a big thing to have simply flown under the radar, lol

Do we have any gaming journalists on GAF? Maybe they should get on this.

shmoglish

I would absolutely buy it for that price (as long as everything works fine and there are at least 2 interesting games for me). And may need to try before I buy it.

This is what I thought and hoped the Rift was going to be priced at... So yes, if this is actually true, I'm on the boat fucking day 1.

I would absolutely buy it for that price (as long as everything works fine and there are at least 2 interesting games for me). And may need to try before I buy it.

I both want to try it before hand but also I don't. I kinda want my first time trying it to be in the comfort of my home and controlled with no outside influence. I also want the shock of seeing VR for the first time to be an extended play session not 10 minutes.

I really want to see the launch lineup

shmoglish

I both want to try it before hand but also I don't. I kinda want my first time trying it to be in the comfort of my home and controlled with no outside influence. I also want the shock of seeing VR for the first time to be an extended play session not 10 minutes.

I really want to see the launch lineup
Well, I know myself. When there is no PsVr Station around the corner where I can try it, Ian going in blind.

I am sure rigs was announced as a launch title (interesting title NR1 Check) and maybe we get stuff like The heist or the kitchen (those are full games, right?) and support for games that are already out.

I just hope the announce the price a few months before the release.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Isn't the difference between visuals and immersion going to be decently big between this and the pc stuff?

For a high end PC sure - just like it'd have a noticeable difference over a normal PS4 game. But I think someone from Epic said that if you take the GTX979 recommend hardware on PC, then PSVR isn't much different to drive at similar detail. Assuming you do 60fps (reprojected to 120), combined with the lower resolution screen needing fewer pixels.

What's the benefit of having a curved screen? The FoV is still only 100 deg. isn't it?

With a curved screen they can make all areas of the screen the same distance from your eyes. That might simplify the optics and give you a larger sweetspot in focus. With DK1 (and I assume to a lesser degree on more recent devkits), only the very centre of the screen was completely sharp, and it'd get increasingly blurry towards the edges.

tr00per

The positive reactions in this thread might suggest they could get away with $100 more :)

Does anyone ever think these rumors are started by Sony to gauge the market?

Fwiw, this price point would be great! I believe they should have at least 2 skus,one being the standalone unit. I own a camera and move controllers as well

Top Bottom