• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit Rumor: PSVR price to be $428 (bundle) and $299 (standalone)

vpance

It'd be a significant discount, but I feel that's what Sony needs to hit for the PSVR to be appropriately priced. If this rumor is true, the start-from-scratch entry point for Sony's VR solution would be $780. Even if that's nearly a full grand less than what Oculus is entering at, it's still way too expensive for the mass market. Especially without a compelling library of software or functionality.

If anything, this should prove that tech companies are being too eager in their VR push. We have the tech for sure, but it's not a mass market product for 2016.

Of course it's mass market. PS4 a mass market device and PS VR is an accessory available for it.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'm day 1 at that price as long as Ace Combat is ready. Hopefully with a flightstick.

Are we sure the PSVR will use the PS3 Move controllers, rather than a PS4 version of them?

Are there any PS4 games that use the PS3 Move controllers already?

Move motion controller is supported by PS4 and officially supported by PS VR.

Move navigation controller is supported by PS4, but has appeared on nothing related to PS VR.

I'm wishing I bought that second motion controller I saw for £8 in CEX. Think I might get a brand new dual charger while they are dirt cheap.

Oh sorry. I thought it was gonna have its own stand alone box.

I think the rumored price-point gave me that impression.
You're aware that Oculus Rift without a PC to run it is $600, right?

will PSVR only work with the camera?

Yes this is exactly how it works for advanced tracking (along with the gyros and such onboard), hence the LEDs on the headset.

PS4 camera is actually 2 cameras, for stereoscopic 3D tracking:

ps4-review-182-970-80.jpg

Of course it's mass market. PS4 a mass market device and PS VR is an accessory available for it.

I have zero faith that a $400+ accessory for a console will be successful. That's platform territory pricing, and needs to be judged accordingly. I really doubt most people will buy a $400 platform just to play the titles that have presently been introduced for PSVR. Enthusiasts will latch on, but that's also the demographic being courted by Oculus & Valve. That's not the space that Sony should be competing in, because they are not offering a comparable product.

Elandyll

Banned
That's obviously a fake (found it on reddit, and it uses the old Morpheus branding), but I agree that this would do a lot to speed up adoption this winter ;)

VqPORW6.jpg

It'd be a significant discount, but I feel that's what Sony needs to hit for the PSVR to be appropriately priced. If this rumor is true, the start-from-scratch entry point for Sony's VR solution would be $780. Even if that's nearly a full grand less than what Oculus is entering at, it's still way too expensive for the mass market. Especially without a compelling library of software or functionality.

If anything, this should prove that tech companies are being too eager in their VR push. We have the tech for sure, but it's not a mass market product for 2016.

No doubt starting from scratch is a hell of an outlay $800 or so. Little Timmy is gonna say to his parents that he wants a VR headset, only for the parents to then realise what's required, then keel over from shock. It's fair to say it's gonna take a long time to hit the big time.

I have zero faith that a $400+ accessory for a console will be successful. That's platform territory pricing, and needs to be judged accordingly. I really doubt most people will buy a $400 platform just to play the titles that have presently been introduced for PSVR. Enthusiasts will latch on, but that's also the demographic being courted by Oculus & Valve. That's not the space that Sony should be competing in, because they are not offering a comparable product.
We'll see. VR is a totally different beast than other console peripherals up until this point. Also I don't think it'll be $400, this is just a silly rumor.

xemumanic

That seems a decent price for standalone, and an oddly specific and not rounded price for the bundle.

Also I don't understand why they'd ship with the move controllers when the DS4 should be fine to play with - why no headset+camera bundle?

I thought they'd sell the moves separately as an accessory. Maybe they're making a push for motion controlled games and getting some of that Vive buzz before Oculus can get their touches out?

Helps to cover the cost better I think. $299 seems to barely get it out at cost for Sony, so this bundle will be where they make some sort of profit. As you imply, the Move controllers probably (definitely IMO) aren't required for the PSVR to work, but the camera is.

299 sounds fine. A single screen and plastic device. Reprojection isn't a hardware-only rendering method, doesn't require anything exotic for its controller (breakout box). Essentially its a screen with hardware splitter which contains a simple controller (Mobo, CPU, etc) for reprojection and various other processing elements needed for 120hz.

Sounds about right, tbh.

Though, I don't have one as a devkit, have never used one and don't know much about the box. This is just from my limited knowledge of the device.

No doubt starting from scratch is a hell of an outlay $800 or so. Little Timmy is gonna say to his parents that he wants a VR headset, only for the parents to then realise what's required, then keel over from shock. It's fair to say it's gonna take a long time to hit the big time.
It's a good thing kids are a very small part of the video game audience, the average gamer is over 35.

So is there any clue as to when they will announce the price and release date? I can't really see them waiting till E3.
Sometime after HTC reveals the price of the Vive, which is going on sale February 29.

All the PSVR demos I've seen so far with the controllers and what my buddy played at PSX (Wayward Sky) was using OG Move wands. Dreams was also being controlled with OG Move wands. I think out now is Octodad and Just Dance that use em.

Don't forget about Sportsfriends with Johann Sebastian Joust.

It's a good thing kids are a very small part of the video game audience, the average gamer is over 35

Yeah, but plenty of kids I know have PS4's etc, children are damn spoilt these days, but yeah this isn't for the kiddies, nor targeted for them, but the poor parents get battered.

Though, I don't have one as a devkit, have never used one and don't know much about the box. This is just from my limited knowledge of the device.

That's a shame. Would be legit awesome to play MAINFRAME ONE in VR, seeing all the pixelated environs trailing off around you.

We'll see. VR is a totally different beast than other console peripherals up until this point. Also I don't think it'll be $400, this is just a silly rumor.

Mushroom25 is also mistaken if they think the PSVR demographic is the same enthusiasts with high-end gaming rigs that are planning to get Oculus of Vive. It's definitely mainstream VR in comparison, and a more plug-and-play experience than PC VR.

Don't forget about Sportsfriends with Johann Sebastian Joust.

Sorry, but I choose to forget! :p

DavidDesu

Looking at all the "no way it'll be this low" kind of comments it would seem to be the pleasant surprise sweet spot for the majority. Remember all the people looking at PS4 coming with 8gb GDDR RAM and saying "no way this will be under $500!" and then Sony brought us the pleasant surprise and we all gave them a standing ovation... I see PSVR pricing announcement going down the same way!

If they can do it I think it means PSVR adoption will be pretty swift and get VR off to a great start with the general public, many of whom already have a PS4 to start off with so considering it brings real VR of the kind we've been imagining for decades it seems like a decent price of entry.

If you think about it many households were happy to own two consoles last gen, it's a fairly common thing to see. Playstation 4 is doing pretty well and kind of has this gen sewn up, PSVR is that additional console purchase right there, and it is being thought of as a new platform by Sony. VR will complement PS4 and make it even more attractive as a one stop shop for all your gaming needs, who would even consider an Xbox one or even the new Nintendo system, given PS4 can give you real VR this year! I see Sony going all out on this, the amount of games coming to it already seems damned impressive to me with well known franchises like GT going to get support and studios like Geurrilla Cambridge working on original unique VR content that goes beyond a one trick demo experience. Has one of the most impressive launch line ups I've seen for a while to be honest.

Glad I held on to my two moves controllers from a million years ago. Just need to get the camera and I'll be there day one if the price is really $300.

If this is true I'm in day 1. I might even buy 2 headsets if there's any demonstrable ability to play co-op within a VR game.

If you have 2 PS4s and a router, it should be no different than supporting any other multiplayer game assuming developers bother adding support for it.

So I'd guess about $450 AUD for the base headset $550 AUD for the full pack.
Sony always likes to add on an extra $50 RRP after conversion in Australia.

Full pack price is in line with the console at launch. That's okay.

The Argus

So is the rumored non-camera option for those who already own one? I'm under the impression that this thing requires the camera, and only some games will require the move controllers. Why not include the camera in all packs, it can't be that expensive to build right? I see this causing a lot of headaches next holiday season...

Just the sweet spot that I am hoping for. My prediction was $299-$349 for just the headset. So hope that happens. They will sell a ton at $299.

By the way, are the screens in these VR products much better than the high end phones? If not then why not have a shell helmet (everything else except a display) and let people use their phones as the screen. I know it won't happen but it will cut down the cost a lot if there was no screen and people will have option to use better screens as their phones get better.

Shoeless

Are the camera and the Move controllers they are going to use going to be the same that was used with the PS3?

The Move controllers thus far have been the same ones used on the PS3. The camera is the new PS4 camera that launched alongside the console, not the earlier PS3 model.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Just the sweet spot that I am hoping for. My prediction was $299-$349 for just the headset. So hope that happens. They will sell a ton at $299.

By the way, are the screens in these VR products much better than the high end phones? If not then why not have a shell helmet (everything else except a display) and let people use their phones as the screen. I know it won't happen but it will cut down the cost a lot if there was no screen and people will have option to use better screens as their phones get better.
The curved OLED panel Sony are using for the PSVR has a custom pixel arrangement, designed specifically to lessen the screen door effect and provide a clearer image. Using mobile phone screen does little more than provide a high "DPI" on a screen not designed to be viewed an inch from your face. This is why the three major players are using custom screens.

Mushroom25 is also mistaken if they think the PSVR demographic is the same enthusiasts with high-end gaming rigs that are planning to get Oculus of Vive. It's definitely mainstream VR in comparison, and a more plug-and-play experience than PC VR.
I believe Sony WANTS PSVR to play with a more mainstream demographic, but at $439/$299 they're pricing themselves out of that market. No 'normal' person is going to buy a peripheral at that price, without a tremendous software lineup to back it up. At this price, they're ensuring only enthusiasts will buy one - and that's where the other headsets have staked a claim.

I believe Sony WANTS PSVR to play with a more mainstream demographic, but at $439/$299 they're pricing themselves out of that market. No 'normal' person is going to buy a peripheral at that price, without a tremendous software lineup to back it up. At this price, they're ensuring only enthusiasts will buy one - and that's where the other headsets have staked a claim.
1. People are willing to spend lots of money on things they want
2. Prices can always go down
3. The prices in the Op are unsubstantiated rumor
4. The PSVR seems to already have a large software lineup
5. Lots of enthusiasts don't have the $1000+ computers to run OR/Vive but they do have PS4s

1. People are willing to spend lots of money on things they want
2. Prices can always go down
3. The prices in the Op are unsubstantiated rumor
4. The PSVR seems to already have a large software lineup
5. Lots of enthusiasts don't have the $1000+ computers to run OR/Vive but they do have PS4s
I'll concur that we simply don't know enough right now to make an objective judgement on this. We're still running on rumor and speculation. But I think if we extrapolate this rumor as true, and presume that the majority of what Sony has shown for PSVR will make up the device's first year software library - I don't think there's enough meat to justify the cost. I also imagine most mainstream consumers will agree.

The only people willing to buy in at this price, for this suite of offerings, are going to be enthusiast consumers that already spend a significant amount more on gaming than their mainstream counterparts. As such, they're going to be more heavily courted by Oculus/Vive.

neemmss

That's obviously a fake (found it on reddit, and it uses the old Morpheus branding), but I agree that this would do a lot to speed up adoption this winter ;)

VqPORW6.jpg

I was thinking about bundles like this a little while ago! This is a very cool mock-up of what one kind of bundle would look like. There are infinite possibilities with this.

I'll concur that we simply don't know enough right now to make an objective judgement on this. We're still running on rumor and speculation. But I think if we extrapolate this rumor as true, and presume that the majority of what Sony has shown for PSVR will make up the device's first year software library - I don't think there's enough meat to justify the cost. I also imagine most mainstream consumers will agree.
People buy game consoles at launch with far fewer games...

The curved OLED panel Sony are using for the PSVR has a custom pixel arrangement, designed specifically to lessen the screen door effect and provide a clearer image. Using mobile phone screen does little more than provide a high "DPI" on a screen not designed to be viewed an inch from your face. This is why the three major players are using custom screens.
I haven't heard that PSVR has a curved screen, does it really? As for a custom pixel arrangement, that's false, Sony already told us what it uses, it's a standard RGB/RGB OLED setup. They were making a point at the time that the Vive dev kit and Oculus DK2 both used Pentile displays instead, so PSVR looked slightly sharper/brighter/better.

The only people willing to buy in at this price, for this suite of offerings, are going to be enthusiast consumers that already spend a significant amount more on gaming than their mainstream counterparts. As such, they're going to be more heavily courted by Oculus/Vive.

People tend to muddy the waters with these terms. There is a big range between enthusiast consumers (spending $400-$600 on a GPU alone for a PC) and mainstream consumers (buying Madden, FIFA every year). There are almost 40 million PS4 owners world wide. A minority yet significant portion of this userbase are hardcore Playstation fans that were early adopters and spent $500+ on a PS4, multiple games, ps+ subscription, accessories, etc. They don't care about PC gaming nor just buying Madden every year but they do spend a lot of money on Playstation in general. Early on, this is the consumers Sony is targeting.

Pif

Banned
I can see a lot of past multiconsole owners, not getting a second console because they want the headset for PS4.

At least that's probably gonna be my case.

ZehDon

Gold Member
People buy game consoles at launch with far fewer games...

I haven't heard that PSVR has a curved screen, does it really? As for a custom pixel arrangement, that's false, Sony already told us what it uses, it's a standard RGB/RGB OLED setup. They were making a point at the time that the Vive dev kit and Oculus DK2 both used Pentile displays instead, so PSVR looked slightly sharper/brighter/better.
The single panel is indeed curved, the specs released by Sony show it as so. In regards to the pixel arrangement, I've seen nothing to contradict the earlier reports? More pixels in the centre FOV, fewer in the outter regions. The end result is same number of pixels, less SDE and sharper overall image when looking at the centre. Can you link to your sources please?

Top Bottom