• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Richard Dawkins suffered a stroke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foffy

Banned
Is this Richard's first major health problem? Pretty good if so. Having a major health uh oh in your 70s and not sooner is a good enough run as is. Doubly so if this is a minor stroke and not one that leaves lasting effects.

A stroke kind of killed the intellectual discourse Thich Nhat Hanh had with people, and that would be a shame if something like that happened with Dawkins as well. We need as many people using reason and understanding in the world, as I feel we have a great deficit of them.

Because it's easier to yield to emotion and collective ad hominem groupthink that he is smug and superior rather than attempt to critique his ideas.

Ah, don't do that. You've just dismissed the notion of disliking Dawkins as "groupthink" when I'm capable of disliking him for reasons I've arrived at on my own terms with my own reasoning.

Regardless, this isn't the thread for that. He is a very important writer who has done great things for a lot of people and I hope he recovers with no issues.

Grug

Ah, don't do that. You've just dismissed the notion of disliking Dawkins as "groupthink" when I'm capable of disliking him for reasons I've arrived at on my own terms with my own reasoning.

You used the word hate, so you'll have to forgive me for making an assumption about emotion effecting your judgement.

You used the word hate, so you'll have to forgive me for making an assumption about emotion effecting your judgement.

No, I didn't, that was the other guy. But, that's a fair point nonetheless so I'll drop it.

Either way, hope he gets well soon.

Rektash

Heh, Christians showing their spirit of charity by taunting a person who suffered a stroke on twitter. How lovely.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Im sure there are many who agree with his arguments but just dislike his personality.
I think he is pretty moderate compared to other atheists. In every single discussion I watched from him the theists end up being a lot more annoying than he could ever be.

Ratrat

I think he is pretty moderate compared to other atheists. In every single discussion I watched from him the theists end up being a lot more annoying than he could ever be.
I dont disagree, at least from the videos of debates I've seen. The more recent stuff about down syndrome or the clock bomb he's posted on twitter were kind of eh, though.

PSqueak

Banned
Eh, just wish him well.

What's the difference honestly? I see people throw around "but prayers don't do anything!", neither does wishing him well, just as useless, "praying" for someone is just the religious word for "wishing" someone well anyways.

This is why i never got why people get mad when someone prays for them, like, whatever you or they believe, they're just wishing you well man!

AlucardGV

Banned
Just finished the God Delusion the other day. Ehat an eye opener.

All the best to Richard.

out of curiosity, is that book really a "eye opener"? granted that i pretty much view the matter like him but in a less rude way, it's like his video on youtube where he discuss religion with religious people or it's something different?

Damn, that sucks. I hope he recovers.

out of curiosity, is that book really a "eye opener"? granted that i pretty much view the matter like him but in a less rude way, it's like his video on youtube where he discuss religion with religious people or it's something different?

In my personal experience, it's only an eye opener if it's sort of your first look into atheist thought. It was definitely eye opening to me, but I read it in the tenth grade when I was first really considering these things. It's nothing too profound if you're already pretty aware of the he arguments for atheism.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
i don't mean to sound like a dick, but i know nothing about strokes so i got to ask: the article says he is expected to make a full recovery "in time," but do 75 year-olds generally have that time? of course someone can live to be over a hundred, but what i mean is that if you get a stroke in your seventies, what are the odds that your condition will improve rather than deteriorate?

Yrael

Report from Karen Owens:

Richard Dawkins was to appear in February 12, 2016 in London with Jerry Coyne for the British Humanist Association Darwin Day event and later at events in Australia & New Zealand. He had to cancel all events. Since the Sydney Opera House has finally broken the basic story publicly on the reason why, I now feel free to add details before rumors start to fly. Friday night, February 5th, around 5:00 PM (UK time), Richard had a hemorrhagic stroke in the deep white matter of his right brain, affecting his left side. He was alone at home in Oxford. He had the presence of mind to realize he was having a stroke, struggled to his cell phone and called his wife Lalla who was in London at the time. She called a friend who has a key to their house, and then an ambulance. Because of all this, he survived. He was in John Radcliffe hospital until Tuesday the 9th and is now home. Richard underwent his first physical therapy on Wednesday the 10th at home. There are some people who would like to take Richard down and one way would be with rumors that his mind is gone. I’m happy to report that HIS COGNITIVE FACULTIES ARE THUS FAR INTACT. I know this for certain because he sent a few friends, including me, two tapes he made after the stroke, because it was too difficult for him to type Emails. His speech is only minimally impaired. The worst of it is that his face is partially paralyzed on the left. His smile is crooked. He can barely use his left hand and arm. Fortunately, he is right-handed. He has difficulty aiming at and picking things up with his left hand and more difficulty letting them go. The fact that he can use his left hand at all gives great hope for a full recovery. You can wish him well on the Richard Dawkins Foundation website or on Twitter @RichardDawkins.

kavanf1

The book should be essential reading for high school age kids, in my opinion.

Afa

What's the difference honestly? I see people throw around "but prayers don't do anything!", neither does wishing him well, just as useless, "praying" for someone is just the religious word for "wishing" someone well anyways.

This is why i never got why people get mad when someone prays for them, like, whatever you or they believe, they're just wishing you well man!

I think some people just take it in a literal sense that, hoping and wishing is just plain being thoughtful. Where as praying, to an atheist, means the pray-er is "commuting" with something they don't believe exists and hence fills a little empty?

In saying that, I hope he gets better and wish him all the best.
Although knowing his views, death (if it came) is just a natural part of life and he'd make no biggie of it.

PSqueak

Banned
I think some people just take it in a literal sense that, hoping and wishing is just plain being thoughtful. Where as praying, to an atheist, means the pray-er is "commuting" with something they don't believe exists and hence fills a little empty?

"Praying" people are being thoughtful too, and "hoping", "wishing" and "giving your thoughts" is as much empty in the end all these actions, prayer included, are done for the sake of giving the person in need and the people being thought full some peace of mind through the expression of support, they might do it differently, but it's the same thing, and people should understand this, no option is more empty than the other and they all serve the same purpose and yield the same results.

Afa

"Praying" people are being thoughtful too, and "hoping", "wishing" and "giving your thoughts" is as much empty in the end all these actions, prayer included, are done for the sake of giving the person in need and the people being thought full some peace of mind through the expression of support, they might do it differently, but it's the same thing, and people should understand this, no option is more empty than the other and they all serve the same purpose and yield the same results.

Yeah realistically it wouldn't make a difference to the person being thought upon either way.
In the other direction however, the wisher and hoper might have neutral thoughts on the outcome of the events. With pray-ers, might not some of them think that what they did caused the outcome?

Sethista

Hope he gets better and everything is ok.

I already saw people saying on social media if he saw god, if now he would be accepting prayers, etc.

People are assholes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom