• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 PC Beta Thread of dedicated servers and HBAO rig-flexing

Cohsae

WuselDusel said:
Point to medic - press Q - calls for medic
Point to assault - press Q - calls for ammo
Point to vehicle - press Q - calls for taxi
Point to enemy- press Q - marks the enemy

anyhow, I would love to have the commorose because it makes no sense to search for an assault guy if I need ammo. I want to SCREAM for ammo and then get it served to ME :p
Ah thankyou.

Sanjay

To improve performance turn off HBAO, I can't even tell the difference if its on or off, any one else? and shadows on medium helped too.

Also how do you know if its running on dx9 or dx10?

naib

GAF Bad Company 2 Players:

Spl1nter
BlackWater
pinbacker
Nabs
Klo8
DeadEyeTyler
MonkyofDoom
Fourman
Smash88
valru
NOiRPsi
TheExodu5
Cirrus
maxkem
sMurfin
NachoNeva-
DaFishy
Coachnando
snappymcsnapsnap
Plague_In_A_Bag
Jehbeh
Mbaraki
Sanjuro
Palantiri
Ceebs
dkNe
q8_devil
Stahsky
Duouk2000
Perthius
Anton Sugar
Tamanon
Furly
lalabou
RotBot
sn1pes
JonRemedy
VaLiancY
Denogginizer
snack
Salacious Crumb
KakTheInfected
Seanbob11
ShawsieSixyFour
MrPing - Europe
kn1ves24
naib

Tokubetsu

NameGenerated said:
Bad experiences with the first X87 shotty. 3 shots to the back then they just turn around and kill me like it's nothing. :(

It could use some work but I'd rather they just leave it alone. BC1 ended up with broken machine guns and OP shotguns because they tried to rebalance the game.

Druz

Tokubetsu said:
Anyone else having a "stuck" keys problem? Crouching being held etc or running into one direction.

Me

Saterium said:
Yeah its annoying..

My shift key wasn't working and my character would always strafe right, the only fix I could find was quitting out =/

You fix it by pressing in the direction you're moving in

Saterium

Druz said:
Me

You fix it by pressing in the direction you're moving in

That's the first thing I did, sometimes it would fix it temporarily but it'd always come back in about 15 seconds.

It's a beta though, so I guess it's to be expected that the game has bugs.

Tokubetsu

Probably just a server thing. Just got done playing in a lag free server for about half hour to 45 minutes without the sticky keys probably acting up.

delirium

I don't know what's going on, but if seems the game dc me from the internet every 30 mins or so. I didn't have any problems with my wireless connection until I installed this game and started playing it.

Cohsae

People seem to take a ton of damage. I can snipe a guy in 2 shots or 1 hs, but i was using that engineer gun and it took a lot of bullets to kill someone.

Tokubetsu

Cohsae said:
People seem to take a ton of damage. I can snipe a guy in 2 shots or 1 hs, but i was using that engineer gun and it took a lot of bullets to kill someone.

From hip or aim down sights? this is actually probably the easiest BF game in terms of infantry combat. You could be mid to close range in BF2 and fire an entire clip of an m4 with only about 1/3rd of the bullets hitting your target and it literally took like a half to two-thirds of a clip to kill someone.

I haven't any problems killing anyone so far. Just remember that the SMG is more of a mid to close range weapon and always fire in bursts. The SCAR is awesome though.

EGM92

Been playing the beta all night, really fun.

Runs buttery smooth on 2 different video card rigs.

i7 975 @ 4.0ghz
12GB DDR3
ASUS 295GTX + Co-op Bios

and

Asus 5970

Everything on high, maxed out 16x AA/AF both cards make the game run super smooth, infact the only drop in FPS I've suffered was when the server had a hiccup and I all of a sudden was in a storm of artillery fire.

derFeef

So Engineer is the most use class by GAF? Nice! Will try Medic a bit today but Engie is awesome so far.

EGM92 said:
Been playing the beta all night, really fun.

Runs buttery smooth on 2 different video card rigs.

i7 975 @ 4.0ghz
12GB DDR3
ASUS 295GTX + Co-op Bios

and

Asus 5970

Everything on high, maxed out 16x AA/AF both cards make the game run super smooth, infact the only drop in FPS I've suffered was when the server had a hiccup and I all of a sudden was in a storm of artillery fire.

Do you have the flickerng shadow issues? I am having that with my 4870 X2

JWong

Banned
Person connects, lag for a minute.

Someone kills me, crash.

Jesus Christ! I can't find a decent gaming experience with the beta.

EGM92

WuselDusel said:
So Engineer is the most use class by GAF? Nice! Will try Medic a bit today but Engie is awesome so far.

Flickering shadows? No, but I have experienced the screen flickering black. Happened when I was a gunner in a tank, I don't know if it was cause we were under attack or the video drivers not liking Nvidia drivers on the system. Thats the only flickering I've had.

If you're using 10.1 Catalyst downgrade that shit, it pretty much breaks Crossfire cards. So X2 would be useless with it for now, my 5970 refused to use the second GPU with the 10.1 drivers while with 9.12 it was running fine.

vanty

I'm having much more success killing people just firing bursts, even at close range. Full auto is totally useless.

Tokubetsu said:
From hip or aim down sights? this is actually probably the easiest BF game in terms of infantry combat. You could be mid to close range in BF2 and fire an entire clip of an m4 with only about 1/3rd of the bullets hitting your target and it literally took like a half to two-thirds of a clip to kill someone.
BFV was far easier to kill people, basically if you could aim, you'd kill someone with no need to ever fire more than a burst or two. It was a bit overpowered, but they've just gone in the total opposite direction since and guns have gotten weaker and weaker in BF games.

BF2 guns were totally useless apart from the G36 from what I remember.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Has anyone set up a 360 pad for certain functions? I want to use it to control turrets, but the game doesn't seem to recognize it. However, it DOES recognize my 360 fight stick :lol

derFeef

EGM92 said:
If you're using 10.1 Catalyst downgrade that shit, it pretty much breaks Crossfire cards. So X2 would be useless with it for now, my 5970 refused to use the second GPU with the 10.1 drivers while with 9.12 it was running fine.

Crossfire works fine for me (I have the latest Mass Effect 2 hotfix) because if I turn off A.I. the flickerng is gone but also 40% of the framerate ;)

furly

Neo Member
WuselDusel said:

Disabling Catalyst A.I. fixed the flickering textures for me.

edit: oops beaten

eek5

Ysiadmihi said:
Has anyone set up a 360 pad for certain functions? I want to use it to control turrets, but the game doesn't seem to recognize it. However, it DOES recognize my 360 fight stick :lol
Damn I wanted to hook it up to control the tanks. They feel so awkward with the mouse/kb after having played bfbc1 and the ps3 beta/360 demo

MAKE SHORTCUT TO THE BFBC2Game.exe

at the end of the link add +fullproc so it looks like this...

D:\games\bfbcb\BFBC2Game.exe +fullproc
(this lets you utilize all cores, it adds more thread or some shit i dunno but it worked)

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Did they seriously not change the way calling for a medic etc works? That was horribly implemented in the beta and I really expected it to be changed for the PC version.

derFeef

Ikuu said:
Did they seriously not change the way calling for a medic etc works? That was horribly implemented in the beta and I really expected it to be changed for the PC version.

Yeah, I want my rose :( It was perfect in 2142

Ysiadmihi

Banned
eek5 said:
Damn I wanted to hook it up to control the tanks. They feel so awkward with the mouse/kb after having played bfbc1 and the ps3 beta/360 demo

I got it to recognize the pad now, but it still doesn't work properly. I was able to bind the left stick to driving, but once in a vehicle it doesn't respond. Tried to bind turret aiming to the right stick and it wasn't recognized at all.

derFeef

SolidsnackooFoxhound said:
Server list seems to be working again.
So there was an update? Which leads to my question - is this going to be a "collect data" beta or a serious "update beta during beta to test things" beta?

Cohsae

Ikuu said:
This is still in beta. But yes its a shit implementation. Look around, try to tell who's a medic, hit q. Haven't they played TF2? One button, bang, all medics are made aware. Bring back the master race comms system. I really hope that's planned.

WuselDusel said:
So there was an update? Which leads to my question - is this going to be a "collect data" beta or a serious "update beta during beta to test things" beta?

I sure as hell hope its a Collective data beta and that they plan to do something about it. They really don't have a choice because its pretty much hell right now. The biggest bug i have encountered so far seems to be when my keyboard stops working in game or i lose control of my character and he keeps moving left or right without me pressing a or d. When this occurs i have to exit out the game completely for my keyboard to start working again.

TheExodu5

Banned
Game looks so much better with bloom off. You get to experience the high quality textures in all their glory without the shimmering and nastiness from bloom.

The spotting mechanic seems pretty lame. I just go around and constantly hit q. What's to stop someone from just setting up an auto q macro? It seems like there should be a penalty to spamming it.

KillerAJD

Alright, so I didn't get the beta through Steam, and I know you can add non-steam games to your games list and they SHOULD allow you to use the in-game overlay(I've done it with multiple games) , but it's not working for me with BC2. I disabled Rivatuner, which I found out sometimes blocks the overlay, and I turned off my antivirus, but it's still not working. A buddy of mine got the beta through the same way I did, and his works fine. I also read it doesn't work with Punkbuster, but again, he seems to be able to use it. Any advice GAF? It's a pain in the ass having to alt-tab back and forth, and now I'm just playing it in windowed mode just so I don't have to wait for it to switch back and forth. :lol

derFeef

SolidsnackooFoxhound said:
I sure as hell hope its a Collective data beta and that they plan to do something about it. They really don't have a choice because its pretty much hell right now. The biggest bug i have encountered so far seems to be when my keyboard stops working in game or i lose control of my character and he keeps moving left or right without me pressing a or d. When this occurs i have to exit out the game completely for my keyboard to start working again.

Keep hammering all of your movement keys, works for me. But what I meant was, that I hope they are updating the game during the beta phase and not just collect data and leave us with gamebraking bugs.

TheExodu5 said:
The spotting mechanic seems pretty lame. I just go around and constantly hit q. What's to stop someone from just setting up an auto q macro? It seems like there should be a penalty to spamming it.

If you spam it you are not able to spot for some time. I thought that was a bug, but then I realized I spammed Q too much :p

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Any chance they add a map to the beta? I'd like a crisp desert map with some small city stuff like the one in the first BC demo. The current one looks pretty meh.

Nabs said:
things seem to be running better. i'm getting local servers now.

is voice chat enabled?

Just used the play now feature and got into a game on my first try. After that i exited out and went to play now again and was able to get into another game. Things do seem to be working better. :D:D

Tokubetsu

out0v0rder said:

(this lets you utilize all cores, it adds more thread or some shit i dunno but it worked)

Haven't seen any noticeable differences but thanks! I seem to be averaging 45 fps. 1920x1080, everything on, all max, 4xAA and 4xAF. Crossfire 4870s 3.0ghz Core 2 Quad and 8 gigs of ram.

Max

I am not Max
I forced DX9 rather than using DX10 and the game runs so much more smoothly, it looks exactly to same too

Ysiadmihi

Banned
out0v0rder said:

Wow worked pretty well, thanks!

Top Bottom