• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Counter-Strike 2 is coming Summer 2023

Draugoth

Gold Member

Go here: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/counter-strike-2-revealed-info-beta-discussion.1654476/

header_ctt.png
2i6gh6j9ibpa1.jpg

How do I gain access to the Counter-Strike 2 Limited Test?
Players are selected based on a number of factors deemed important by the Counter-Strike 2 development team, including (but not limited to) recent playtime on Valve official servers, trust factor, and Steam account standing.

How do I know if I've been selected for the Counter-Strike 2 Limited Test?
If you are chosen to participate in the Counter-Strike 2 Limited Test you will receive a notification on the main menu of CS:GO.

If you receive an invitation select "ENROLL" and begin your download. When the download is complete launch CS:GO and select the "Limited Test" option to play the Counter-Strike 2 Limited Test.

How often are players added to the Counter-Strike 2 Limited Test?
More players will be added to the Limited Test over time. Keep checking your CS:GO main menu to see if you have received an invite.

How long will the Counter-Strike 2 Limited Test last?
Counter-Strike 2 is expected to ship Summer 2023.

Please visit the Counter-Strike blog for up-to-date information on the limited test and future announcements.

What features are in the Counter-Strike 2 Limited Test?
Initially the Counter-Strike 2 Limited Test will offer Deathmatch and Unranked Competitive matchmaking on Dust2.

Future limited test releases will offer other game modes, maps, and features.

I'm in the Counter-Strike 2 Limited Test! How do I report bugs?
If you encounter bugs during the Counter-Strike 2 Limited Test please send an email to cs2team [at] valvesoftware [dot] com and title your email "CS2LT Report".

In the body of your email please include a detailed description of the bug, reproduction steps, and any screenshots or other helpful information so the Counter-Strike 2 team may investigate.

Can I use my CS:GO inventory items in Counter-Strike 2?
Yes. All of your weapon finishes, stickers, and other CS:GO inventory items will be available to use in Counter-Strike 2. Please report any inventory item and weapon finish bugs you encounter using the previoulsy mentioned bug report process.

Can I modify my inventory items during the Counter-Strike 2 Limited Test?
No. During the Counter-Strike 2 Limited Test players cannot modify inventory items within Counter-Strike 2. This includes applying stickers, scraping stickers, using Trade Up Contracts, and other ways players can modify their in-game items.

If you would like to modify your items you will need to do so in CS:GO.

Can I still play CS:GO while the Counter-Strike 2 Limited Test is happening?
Yes. Please note, you will only play with and against other players playing the same version of Counter-Strike as you.

Counter-Strike 2 players will play with and against other Counter-Strike 2 players, and CS:GO players will play with and against other CS:GO players.

Can I earn XP in the Counter-Strike 2 Limited Test?
Yes. XP in the Counter-Strike 2 Limited Test counts and will carry over to CS:GO.

Can I stream or make videos of the Counter-Strike 2 Limited Test?
Yes.

Can I run or play on workshop maps in the Counter-Strike 2 Limited Test?
Not initially. Stay tuned to the CS:GO blog for information about workshop map availability.

Can I run or play on community servers during the Counter-Strike 2 Limited Test?
Not initially. Stay tuned to the CS:GO blog for information about community server availability.

I was banned in CS:GO. Can I use the same Steam account to play Counter-Strike 2?
No. Accounts with VAC or game bans in CS:GO cannot play Counter-Strike 2 on VAC-secured servers.

Are competitive cooldowns shared across Counter-Strike 2 and CS:GO?
Yes. If you have a competitive cooldown in CS:GO you cannot matchmake in Counter-Strike 2 and vice versa.

Can I participate in the Counter-Strike 2 Limited Test on Linux or macOS?
No. The Counter-Strike 2 Limited Test is only available on Windows.

Last edited by a moderator:

RagnarokIV

Can't tell if those 2 guys are characters you haven't unlocked yet, or there's a driver bug messing up shader compilation.

phant0m

Anyone else think the CS2 to CS:GO screenshots are not…..great?

It looks like someone cranked up the gamma and killed the dynamic range. On the dust2 mid doors shot there’s nice range and contrast between dark and light areas. The CS2 version is brighter and flatter. Same thing in the shots of nuke.

I guess it’s more realistic? I prefer the look of CS:GO based on those shots though

Fake

Has the feeling of guns and shooting improved much? Not the biggest fan of GO, but loved 1.6 and Source.

I remember playing GO back in day and in comparison with Source was terrible bad, but GO was a loads of mistakes by Valve because even now they have silenced guns attached with was removed in thei early of GO.

I don't see people talking much about, but what I can see is just a boost in perfomance (because Vulkan/Directx11) and a more saturated color vibrant game.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
I finally got an invite for this and had a bit of time today to try it out.

Thoughts, after approximately 10,000 hours in previous versions of CS ove the years;

• Bullet registration is night and day improved upon the old versionf of CS. I have no idea what they did, what changed, or how it works, but it is like a different universe.
• New smokes are fantastic. I love how they add a dynamic effect and can be disperesed, feeling like living organic smoke in confined areas, it behaves well and gives the item some counterability.
• Sound seems way off. Not sure what is going on here but I couldn't get my barings on where enemies where, what distance they were from me, and how close proximity stuff was.. people that play competetive will know what I mean, but I really struggled. Half of the skill involved with CS is hearing and pinpointing an enemy movement / footstep through a wall or round a corner.
• visuals, ehhhhhhh.... have to be honest it doesn't seem like much of an upgrade on that front beyond the smokes and fire effects being cool.
• Actual gun weight and sound however I mentionned above is way better. Guns sound more realistic, chunkier, and blood splats have far better range-based acknowledgement.

I have no doubt my gripes will get fixed by release, and this will most certainly replace the CSGO competetive space for me. I still play 5-6 games a week and love CS. Amazing how much sticking power this game has, it's just as good now as it was 15 years ago. Competetive is still hugely active and there are plenty of passionate players on matchmaking to make it fun solo if you have no party to play with.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
I'm not sure what they've got planned for today.

If they are releasing it to everyone then they'd better stick a big fat "Early Access" title next to it as this shit simply ain't ready for release this summer, let alone this year. There's still so much work to be done ranging from clipping, to the sub-tick inconsistencies with regards to animation, audio, movement, gamebreaking bugs, etc. Obviously CS:GO didn't start off on the greatest foundation either and was improved over time, I get that, but if they tout it as a full phat 1.0 release then I can already see the "mostly negative" or "mixed" review scores pouring in.

Not sure why the pros haven't been more vocal about CS2's shortcomings so far. Most major teams are playing a CS:GO tourney atm so maybe it's due to that but still... this thing isn't exactly esports ready either lol.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
It’s replacing CSGO
Kind of weird they're opting for the Overwatch route tbh.

I at least assume we'll be able to play CS:GO offline through a selectable branch via Steam. It'd be a massive waste if we cannot go back to it in some capacity.

BossLackey

Gold Member
Kind of weird they're opting for the Overwatch route tbh.

I at least assume we'll be able to play CS:GO offline through a selectable branch via Steam. It'd be a massive waste if we cannot go back to it in some capacity.

Yeah, I'm not exactly sure how it's going to work, really. Because I agree. Not being able to go back to CSGO is kinda crazy.

I'm literally just checking Steam every 30 minutes to see if it's up.

Fools idol

Banned
Yeah, I'm not exactly sure how it's going to work, really. Because I agree. Not being able to go back to CSGO is kinda crazy.

wait, what? they are replacing CSGO? when? is match making going to be available or what

BossLackey

Gold Member
wait, what? they are replacing CSGO? when? is match making going to be available or what

There are very, very few details. Hell, their release date announcement was a cheeky, hyper vague tweet.

In fact, even it replacing CSGO is purely informed speculation. So take everything, including what I'm saying, with a grain of salt.

No idea how this is going to go down.

VN1X

Banned

Probably around 2PM Seattle time* which is... like 6 hours from now so I wouldn't hold my breath before then hah.

*that's when they usually update the game.

VN1X

Banned
Virre just released this:

So funny to see how dated the original Source version of Inferno looks compared to CS2's.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Wonder what's going to become of Danger Zone.

Also I want all of the casual content back and silly maps like Assault!

BossLackey

Gold Member
They can't do that if minimum requirements go up.

If someone's PC can't run CS2, they're loooooooooooooong overdue for an upgrade.

Valve wants as large a net as possible and I know it runs really well on even okay hardware.

Regardless, it's not Valve's responsibility to make sure their games run on 15 year old hardware.

EDIT: I realize you may be speaking literally. I dunno.

Last edited:
I am gonna put this here for Nostalgia sake. First time I saw this as a 13 year old I couldn't believe what I was looking at. Man, the launch of CS Source HL2 and Steam was a legendary era and time to be alive for. The day and age of digital media l being born on the PC platform and changing the video game industry landscape forever and ever.

nikos

Really excited for a new CS.

Haven't played CS:GO too much but loved Source. Hope I can get into this one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom