• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox introduces new strike system to curtail bad behavior

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I am not assuming CoD is going to die. I am assuming more people that get their Xbox accounts banned will move on to another ecosystem instead of sticking around. We can have a different opinion on that subject without trying to turn this into something that it is not.
Call of Duty is all but guaranteed to be part of the Xbox ecosystem, or are people still holding out for ABK to NOT be acquired?

If only 1% of players get any action taken at all, I think its safe to assume the number of players who get 1 year bans is something like 0.1%.
Those that get enough strikes for a day, a week or a month, are just gonna wait the month out or make another account.
Those with enough infractions to get a one year ban, really should just go play some other game.

P.S Have you followed the quote train that started this conversation?

reinking

Gold Member
Call of Duty is all but guaranteed to be part of the Xbox ecosystem, or are people still holding out for ABK to NOT be acquired?
I have not said that ABK will not be acquired. 10-year deals. That means for the next 10 years other ecosystems will have Call of Duty. This is another shift to a different topic. As I said earlier, I believe more people that get banned from the Xbox ecosystem will move on than those that will stick around. That is a conversation that relates to this topic. We seem to have a different opinion on that, which is cool, It happens.

Black_Stride

I have not said that ABK will not be acquired. 10-year deals. That means for the next 10 years other ecosystems will have Call of Duty. This is another shift to a different topic. As I said earlier, I believe more people that get banned from the Xbox ecosystem will move on than those that will stick around. That is a conversation that relates to this topic. We seem to have a different opinion on that, which is cool, It happens.
You will need an Xbox Live account to connect to online services for Xbox Game Studios games.
So leaving the "ecosystem" would imply you wouldnt be playing CoD at all.
Which was where this whole quote train started, someone saying CoD players would leave the Xbox ecosystem......thats literally laughable.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm so glad Sony and the Japanese could give two shits about this.

This ruins half the fun of online multiplayer gaming. You can't shit talk anyone now on Xbox which sucks.
They have a reporting feature (which all 3 companies always had/have). Not sure about a social credit system like this one, however.

Black_Stride

I'm so glad Sony and the Japanese could give two shits about this.

This ruins half the fun of online multiplayer gaming. You can't shit talk anyone now on Xbox which sucks.

• Using slurs, whether racial, ethnic, sexist, homophobic or ableist to address or insult other players.
  • Targeting anyone for their gender identity or expression.
  • Targeting or degrading women with misogynist language.
  • Insulting or calling names based on real-life and/or perceived mental, cognitive or physical ability.
  • Promoting hate groups and their ideologies by posting hate symbols/imagery.
  • Sharing memes that negatively stereotype a person or group’s protected characteristics.
  • Glorifying or condoning violence, brutality, or death toward a person or group.
  • Using a person’s personal characteristics to degrade them or negatively describe their gameplay.

Last edited:

• Using slurs, whether racial, ethnic, sexist, homophobic or ableist to address or insult other players.
  • Insulting or calling names based on real-life and/or perceived mental, cognitive or physical ability.
  • Sharing memes that negatively stereotype a person or group’s protected characteristics.
  • Glorifying or condoning violence, brutality, or death toward a person or group.
  • Using a person’s personal characteristics to degrade them or negatively describe their gameplay.
Sure, I should have been more specific. I didn't mean they don't give a shit terms of corporate policy, etc.

But I myself nor anyone that I know of has ever been banned on PlayStation, honestly not even for a few hours, and I've been saying things to randos and friends and have heard shit, even in game chat, under every aspect of that list for well over 15 years at this point.

I'm sure it's much harder to get away with now and game chat is pretty much dead on every major multiplayer title now because of party chat. So pretty much every single one of these points has basically been mitigated.

Edit: Maybe it's just been luck? But I really only ever hear of Xbox banning people.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Sure, I should have been more specific. I didn't mean they don't give a shit terms of corporate policy, etc.

But I myself nor anyone that I know of has ever been banned on PlayStation, honestly not even for a few hours, and I've been saying things to randos and friends and have heard shit, even in game chat, under every aspect of that list for well over 15 years at this point.

I'm sure it's much harder to get away with now and game chat is pretty much dead on every major multiplayer title now because of party chat. So pretty much every single one of these points has basically been mitigated.

Edit: Maybe it's just been luck? But I really only ever hear of Xbox banning people.

1% of players have ever had any action taken at all on XBL.
Im going to guess the stat is similar for Playstation as well.
Both Sony and MS introduced recording voice chat when submitting reports so the policies are nigh literally exactly the same.

As for only hearing about XBL bans.......thats just weird cuz I hear equal numbers of XBL and PSN bans for people doing shitty things.
And ive been on XBL since the OGX and PSN since ~2007.

P.S During the peak of Call of Duty 4 pretty much everyone on Xbox 360 had a mic (cuz it came free) and lobbies were open mic with no party chat, XBL was the most golden trash heap of gamers you could gather, so maybe thats why youve heard of more XBL bans than PSN.

For the few online games I play with friends we're always in party chat. On the extremely rare instance I play with randos I treat it like I'm speaking with people IRL, like a functional adult without the desire to sperg out.

If it tamps down the legions of 12 year olds who have apparently all had sexual relations with my mother then I'm all for it.

It's called THE GAMER WORD for a reason. If you can't handle a few slurs thrown at you in jest, or let it slide off you if it's serious, you aren't a REAL GAMER.

1% of players have ever had any action taken at all on XBL.
Im going to guess the stat is similar for Playstation as well.
Both Sony and MS introduced recording voice chat when submitting reports so the policies are nigh literally exactly the same.

As for only hearing about XBL bans.......thats just weird cuz I hear equal numbers of XBL and PSN bans for people doing shitty things.
And ive been on XBL since the OGX and PSN since ~2007.

P.S During the peak of Call of Duty 4 pretty much everyone on Xbox 360 had a mic (cuz it came free) and lobbies were open mic with no party chat, XBL was the most golden trash heap of gamers you could gather, so maybe thats why youve heard of more XBL bans than PSN.
Well that's pretty interesting I didn't know there were actual percentages related to this topic. Sounds about right.

And ahh yes... CoD 4 the good ol' days. Multiplayer games have pretty much lost half the fun that they used to have because game chat is dead.

Dream-Knife

Banned

You can't even call someone a retard?

It's no wonder no one talks in lobbies anymore.

Raonak

Banned
Not the point.
What is the point then?

Is the point that you're okay with people being racist/sexist/hateful or whatever? You want the freedom to be an bigot asshole online without consequences?

Unfortunately for you that's not how the world works. Turns out most people most people hate bigots.

You may get hit if you say that shit in real life. You may get fired if you say that shit at work. And most online services will ban you if they catch you.

Try say that shit on neogaf? You're gonna get banned too.

Life aint 4Chan.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
What is the point then?

Is the point that you're okay with people being racist/sexist/hateful or whatever? You want the freedom to be an bigot asshole online without consequences?

Unfortunately for you that's not how the world works. Turns out most people most people hate bigots.

You may get hit if you say that shit in real life. You may get fired if you say that shit at work. And most online services will ban you if they catch you.

Try say that shit on neogaf? You're gonna get banned too.

Life aint 4Chan.
No, it turns out that we've created a generation of people who are so fragile, so terrified, and so desperate for 'protection from harm', that they are literally willing to not only embrace but demand Orwellian codes of speech and behaviour.

Context matters. There's all kinds of things that I'd never say at work, that I'd be more than happy saying at home. Or here. Or wherever.

It's not a question of whether 'you're okay with people being racist/sexist/hateful'. It's a question of whether you have the minimum level of maturity necessary to dismiss them without pleading for large corporations to install social credit systems on consumer items that you've paid for.

And, as for 'consequences' - the fear and cowardice in statements like that never fail to blow my mind. You're literally asking for people to be 'punished' by soulless tech companies if you hear The Words. Grow the fuck up. Would you like your toaster to be listening to you, too? Maybe it could deactivate if it hears 'sexist language'. After all, why shouldn't people be punished for being 'bigot assholes'?

No, it turns out that we've created a generation of people who are so fragile, so terrified, and so desperate for 'protection from harm', that they are literally willing to not only embrace but demand Orwellian codes of speech and behaviour.

Context matters. There's all kinds of things that I'd never say at work, that I'd be more than happy saying at home. Or here. Or wherever.

It's not a question of whether 'you're okay with people being racist/sexist/hateful'. It's a question of whether you have the minimum level of maturity necessary to dismiss them without pleading for large corporations to install social credit systems on consumer items that you've paid for.

And, as for 'consequences' - the fear and cowardice in statements like that never fail to blow my mind. You're literally asking for people to be 'punished' by soulless tech companies if you hear The Words. Grow the fuck up. Would you like your toaster to be listening to you, too? Maybe it could deactivate if it hears 'sexist language'. After all, why shouldn't people be punished for being 'bigot assholes'?
thanks bro. sick of these HR types

Optimus Lime

thanks bro. sick of these HR types
It's like we have bred an entire generation of people with the sensibilities and fragility of a first year women's studies student.

You would have to have shit for brains to think that ceding control of things you have paid for to a soulless monolith like Microsoft is a good thing ackshually because it means that The Bigots won't be 'free from consequences' for saying the words.

In the 20th century, people fought German fascism across Europe. In 2023, people bicker about which tennis shoe wearing tech bro is going to save them from harsh language because if they hear it they might just kill themselves.

It's all so fucking pathetic.

Raonak

Banned

Bad words cool! There's always consequences, there's always been consequences. That's just how reality works. Only children think they can say whatever they want without consequences.

The internet ain't your home. Neogaf ain't your home. Keep your childish bigotry at home. Public voice chat doesn't need your garbage. If you want to be a manchild, then private chat exists for you.

And continue crying about how the internet won't let you say bad words. You sure have my sympathy, such a hard life you have.

Bad words cool! There's always consequences, there's always been consequences. That's just how reality works. Only children think they can say whatever they want without consequences.

The internet ain't your home. Neogaf ain't your home. Keep your childish bigotry at home. Public voice chat doesn't need your garbage. If you want to be a manchild, then private chat exists for you.

And continue crying about how the internet won't let you say bad words. You sure have my sympathy, such a hard life you have.
Bad words are cool. Youre just a pussy. If your idea of control was a reality then you would be the first to be slaughtered. Keep pretending you have authority on the internet though, we see right through you.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Boombox Shut Up GIF

gonna cry tobey maguire GIF

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Bad words are cool. Youre just a pussy. If your idea of control was a reality then you would be the first to be slaughtered. Keep pretending you have authority on the internet though, we see right through you.

What are you talking about? They're in favour of people not acting like total dicks and your response is to say that they're "first to be slaughtered"? Are you ok?

What are you talking about? They're in favour of people not acting like total dicks and your response is to say that they're "first to be slaughtered"? Are you ok?
Well the thing is, people always act like total dicks when they dont understand something. So maybe stay away from a situation if you feel uncomfortable. Your british interpretation of acting like a total dick is different than my american version. Let's not try to control each other?

Optimus Lime

Your talk about 'reality' is hilarious.

You're not looking for 'reality'. You're crying out for a tech company to manufacture a fake reality where you are shielded from offense, from 'offensive language' and ideas, and from anything that might make you uncomfortable. If you were actually interested in 'reality', here's some reality for you: People are messy, they say and do things that are offensive, cross lines, and are deeply unpleasant. The 'reality' that you should be trying to create is one in which the individual has the fortitude to inoculate themselves against however that reality makes them feel by self-moderating their technology use via the mute and block functions of their device.

This isn't a conversation about whether or not all speech is appropriate for all contexts. It is, very specifically, about Microsoft creating a social credit score to cater to the weak, spineless crying of people like yourself who are too stupid/lazy/ignorant to use the block/mute button.

'The internet ain't your home. Neogaf ain't your home. Keep your childish bigotry at home. Public voice chat doesn't need your garbage. If you want to be a manchild, then private chat exists for you.'

And, here we see it. Everyone who disagrees with your need for greater tech sector autocracy is 'a bigot'. How convenient for you.

You are weak. A weak, spineless person. Grow up.

Raonak

Banned
Your talk about 'reality' is hilarious.

You're not looking for 'reality'. You're crying out for a tech company to manufacture a fake reality where you are shielded from offense, from 'offensive language' and ideas, and from anything that might make you uncomfortable. If you were actually interested in 'reality', here's some reality for you: People are messy, they say and do things that are offensive, cross lines, and are deeply unpleasant. The 'reality' that you should be trying to create is one in which the individual has the fortitude to inoculate themselves against however that reality makes them feel by self-moderating their technology use via the mute and block functions of their device.

This isn't a conversation about whether or not all speech is appropriate for all contexts. It is, very specifically, about Microsoft creating a social credit score to cater to the weak, spineless crying of people like yourself who are too stupid/lazy/ignorant to use the block/mute button.

'The internet ain't your home. Neogaf ain't your home. Keep your childish bigotry at home. Public voice chat doesn't need your garbage. If you want to be a manchild, then private chat exists for you.'

And, here we see it. Everyone who disagrees with your need for greater tech sector autocracy is 'a bigot'. How convenient for you.

You are weak. A weak, spineless person. Grow up.

People are messy, they say and do things that cross the line, and guess what? They face the consequences, because that's what reality is.
You can try it too, try say some slurs at some minorities, see what kind of "immature" reactions you get to it.
Those consequences can be a lot worse than a banning.

The internet is merely a refection of this reality. Neogaf, Xbox, Playstation, Nintendo, most Communities on the internet exists with consequences.
You think microsoft's score system is unique to them?
No, it's the norm on the internet, but it's rarely surfaced to the end user like they're doing.
If you say fucked up things, you face the consequences.

You're not a little baby, so stop crying that mommy microsoft won't let you say bad words.

Optimus Lime

People are messy, they say and do things that cross the line, and guess what? They face the consequences, because that's what reality is.
You can try it too, try say some slurs at some minorities, see what kind of "immature" reactions you get to it.
Those consequences can be a lot worse than a banning.

The internet is merely a refection of this reality. Neogaf, Xbox, Playstation, Nintendo, most Communities on the internet exists with consequences.
You think microsoft's score system is unique to them?
No, it's the norm on the internet, but it's rarely surfaced to the end user like they're doing.
If you say fucked up things, you face the consequences.

You're not a little baby, so stop crying that mommy microsoft won't let you say bad words.
Again, you are deliberately ignoring the point. Or, maybe you're too stupid to see what it is.

The argument isn't that it is appropriate for people to say anything that comes into their head at any given time.

The argument is that Microsoft is applying a China-style social credit score system to consumer devices, using a combination of surveillance and snitching, that is basically designed to ensure that weak, fragile, crybabies like yourself are able to live your lives free of ever facing a single moment of discomfort at anything anyone ever says.

Nobody is advocating for racial abuse of minorities. The point, since you are too dumb to divine it alone, is that the cost of that level of protection is that we invite a surveillance culture into our homes via consumer devices, which is Orwellian in both intent and application.

Clearly, you believe that Microsoft's stated intention is to purify the speech of their users via a blend of survelillance, snitching by other users, and highly subjective 'moderation' by their internal staff, and you think that's wonderful since waaaaaaaaaaaaaa bigots.

That's fine. You can hold that view. I just think you're pathetic, weak, fragile, and are the kind of useful idiot that big tech is banking on to help insinuate themselves into our lives.

And as for this: 'You're not a little baby, so stop crying that mommy microsoft won't let you say bad words.'

I'm not. I don't require my speech, or the speech of others, to be policed by a tech company, hence I decline to use their products. You are free to enjoy your surveillance state and shadow box 'bigots'. Have fun!

Raonak

Banned
(waaaahhhhh)

Why are you ignoring the fact that this is what literally every community online uses?
Begin banned for being a public bigot is not it's not new development. This is the historical norm since the dawn of the internet.
This is no different than neogaf, or playstation, or nintendo, or every other public community not named 4chan.
MS is just surfacing it to the user.

And I don't really give a shit what you think of as "weak" or "strong" in your childish world view.

If tech companies make racists/sexists/bigots lives uncomfortable, then it is nothing but a good thing for me :)

Optimus Lime

Why are you ignoring the fact that this is what literally every community online uses?
Begin banned for being a public bigot is not it's not new development. This is the historical norm since the dawn of the internet.
This is no different than neogaf, or playstation, or nintendo, or every other public community not named 4chan.
MS is just surfacing it to the user.

And I don't really give a shit what you think of as "weak" or "strong" in your childish world view.

If tech companies make racists/sexists/bigots lives uncomfortable, then it is nothing but a good thing for me :)
I'd say that you're either very young, or very new to the internet.

The 'historical norm since the dawn of the internet' was for communities - and individuals - to moderate themselves. This was a part of being an adult. The expectation was that people are responsible for their own mental health and their own wellbeing, and were expected to use the block button extensively, should content offend them. This was true from Usenet, to the web, to online gaming. So, you're wrong.

My worldview isn't 'childish'. The idea that the individual should be responsible for what they see and hear, and should not expect tech companies to engage in mass surveillance and social credit systems in order to ensure their comfort, is what a reasonable person should believe. You, on the other hand, are a bedwetting crybaby.

And, I assume that you're comfortable to let big tech companies like Microsoft decide who is 'racist/sexist/bigoted'? The fear and fragility in everything that you're saying is absolutely palpable. You're right about one thing - you absolutely belong on neo-Xbox, where uncle Phil can make sure that your wuss desires are thoroughly and consistently satiated. Run along now, citizen. You've got important thought policing to be doing in order to maximise your social score.

Raonak

Banned
I'd say that you're either very young, or very new to the internet.

The 'historical norm since the dawn of the internet' was for communities - and individuals - to moderate themselves. This was a part of being an adult. The expectation was that people are responsible for their own mental health and their own wellbeing, and were expected to use the block button extensively, should content offend them. This was true from Usenet, to the web, to online gaming. So, you're wrong.

My worldview isn't 'childish'. The idea that the individual should be responsible for what they see and hear, and should not expect tech companies to engage in mass surveillance and social credit systems in order to ensure their comfort, is what a reasonable person should believe. You, on the other hand, are a bedwetting crybaby.

And, I assume that you're comfortable to let big tech companies like Microsoft decide who is 'racist/sexist/bigoted'? The fear and fragility in everything that you're saying is absolutely palpable. You're right about one thing - you absolutely belong on neo-Xbox, where uncle Phil can make sure that your wuss desires are thoroughly and consistently satiated. Run along now, citizen. You've got important thought policing to be doing in order to maximise your social score.
Racists, sexists, bigots, they surprisingly, don't like moderating themselves, because they're idiots.
That's why online voice chat is a barren wasteland, every sane person knows to avoid it.
And that's exactly why communities moderate themselves. That's exactly why reporting systems exist (which have existed since the dawn of the internet)
All these communities do it, because unlike you, most people actually hate bigots and don't want them around.

Your world is indeed very childish, the idea that "strong" people ignore racism, and everybody is hatefilled asshole. It's like a teenage edgelord's fantasy land.
Once again, welcome to reality. Where people don't put up with your bullshit.

And protip- I don't even like xbox

Optimus Lime

Racists, sexists, bigots, they surprisingly, don't like moderating themselves, because they're idiots.
That's why online voice chat is a barren wasteland, every sane person knows to avoid it.
And that's exactly why communities moderate themselves. That's exactly why reporting systems exist (which have existed since the dawn of the internet)
All these communities do it, because unlike you, most people actually hate bigots and don't want them around.

Your world is indeed very childish, the idea that "strong" people ignore racism, and everybody is hatefilled asshole. It's like a teenage edgelord's fantasy land.
Once again, welcome to reality. Where people don't put up with your bullshit.

And protip- I don't even like xbox
You're just rambling like an idiot.

It is obvious that you've been brainraped by Twitter into believing that the world is full of 'bigots' who are 'hatefilled'. It isn't. And, again, you fail to understand what we're even discussing.

Once again, since you're slow:

We are talking about Microsoft installing a social credit system on their hardware.

We are not debating the morality of holding/expressing racist views.

You seem completely incapable of understanding the distinction, which would explain why you have the politics of a 14 year old.

Raonak

Banned
You're just rambling like an idiot.

It is obvious that you've been brainraped by Twitter into believing that the world is full of 'bigots' who are 'hatefilled'. It isn't. And, again, you fail to understand what we're even discussing.

Once again, since you're slow:

We are talking about Microsoft installing a social credit system on their hardware.

We are not debating the morality of holding/expressing racist views.

You seem completely incapable of understanding the distinction, which would explain why you have the politics of a 14 year old.
We're talking about microsoft having the exact same policies as every other online community,
where being racists/sexists/bigot, or cheating or posting nudity, or whatever else, can get you banned.
Except now microsoft is surfacing their process, so you know where you stand.

And is considered a bad thing...?

Yeah, sorry, I can't keep up with whatever you're throwing a tantrum about 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Top Bottom