• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 PC Gamer Details

sn00zer

BobsRevenge said:
For Delta mode, Crysis is BY FAR better paced. Certain sections of Warhead on delta just break apart due to the differences in vehicle controls and such (not being able to shoot while driving). .
SO true, when playing delta I ALWAYS switch to Medium on the driving section....so much fun

DennisK4 said:
If we only get to fight aliens and not human enemies, I am going to throw the mother of all hissy fits.

CryTek knows most people hate the aliens so the wouldn't make them the only enemies....right?

*nervous laughter*

Crytek could make the aliens interesting and fun to fight? It's not like they're copy/pasting the aliens and A.I. from the first game.

We now close to nothing about the game, so it might as well work and be amazingly fun.

Also, can anyone explain why there is so much hate when it comes to the console version? Most people experincing FPS games do it on consoles, and it just means that Crytek has a chance to stay in business. So why the hate?

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Vinterbird said:
Also, can anyone explain why there is so much hate when it comes to the console version? Most people experincing FPS games do it on consoles, and it just means that Crytek has a chance to stay in business. So why the hate?
Fear that it'll be a watered down experience, and won't push the PC platform forward like the first game did.

And it sounds like it probably will be.

So that's why. Crytek would stay in business either way.

edit: Although, I'll say that I have a huge amount of confidence that Crytek will push out a game that is beyond awesome either way.

Zenith

Banned
This video has been doing the rounds, although the evidence linking it to Crysis 2 is tenuous.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/The-...dation-of-the-NYC-Based-Crysis-2-133044.shtml

However if they do use that tech (the version shown is a 6 month old tech demo) it will blow my mind.

jafcj7.jpg

2hd36dc.jpg

w0neib.jpg

BobsRevenge said:
Fear that it'll be a watered down experience, and won't push the PC platform forward like the first game did.

And it sounds like it probably will be.

So that's why. Crytek would stay in business either way.

If it's a good game, then does it need to push PC hardware to the brink of what it is capable of? If Cryteks wants to keep their open world direction, then it's possible (games like Bad Company 2 show that it is more then possible on the consoles). It's just a matter of what they want with the game, and maybe they felt the open world'ish parts actually hindered the game experience, which is what I've felt with Crytek games in general. It's not as directed as I personally would like it.

BobsRevenge

Vinterbird said:
If it's a good game, then does it need to push PC hardware to the brink of what it is capable of? If Cryteks wants to keep their open world direction, then it's possible (games like Bad Company 2 show that it is more then possible on the consoles). It's just a matter of what they want with the game, and maybe they felt the open world'ish parts actually hindered the game experience, which is what I've felt with Crytek games in general. It's not as directed as I personally would like it.
Yeah, because someone has too and there really isn't anyone left. And that sucks.

The openness is what set Crysis apart so much and really helped raise the bar for the entire genre. The way it combined with the powers was... magical, or something. I thought it worked beautifully.

spidye said:
if we see something like this in crysis2 then I am going to buy my first gaming pc after 8 years.
you really missed out on the first Crysis. just saying... that's why i'm GLAD Crysis 2 is coming to consoles... so people will finally stop claiming that it's some crap tech demo and will acknowledge that it's a great game.

Crysis was a great game on medium settings on an 8800 wasn't it? only a small percentage of us have seen it totally maxed out and playable, but it's always been a great game with or without the occlusion bump mapping and the god rays and the light diffraction in the water etc etc.

BobsRevenge

plagiarize said:
you really missed out on the first Crysis. just saying... that's why i'm GLAD Crysis 2 is coming to consoles... so people will finally stop claiming that it's some crap tech demo and will acknowledge that it's a great game.

Crysis was a great game on medium settings on an 8800 wasn't it? only a small percentage of us have seen it totally maxed out and playable, but it's always been a great game with or without the occlusion bump mapping and the god rays and the light diffraction in the water etc etc.
I played Crysis through 3 times on a 7600gt on medium and low settings at 1024x768. It was still really goddamn amazing, and was instantly my favorite FPS after my first time beating it (which was in one sitting, lasting until 4 in the morning).

I'm pretty sure it was playable on all high settings on an 8800, btw. Even very high if your resolution isn't too high.

That procedurally generated city is pretty cool. I wonder how they program it to get a proper room distribution. It will look kind of silly if they end up with a bathroom the size of a master bedroom with bookshelves and closets to fill space, or a kitchen in the basement. Still, really looking forward to a game with a fully explorable city, hopefully Crysis is the one that does it.

Also, holy shit at just tearing through the plywood walls. I want it!!! I also want full on structural supports so I can C4 the foundation and have skyscrapers collapse...give me my 3 fps Crytek, I dont give a shit. My hardware will be ready in 4 years, I just want the experience for now.

EDIT: I played Crysis on high with an 8800GT at somewhere between 15-20 fps at 1366x768, and it was still amazingly playable.

spidye

plagiarize said:

oh I played crysis on my friend's pc and I really loved it. unfortunately his pc wasn't exactly a beast either but still even on medium crysis is the best looking fps ever.

Zenith said:
This video has been doing the rounds, although the evidence linking it to Crysis 2 is tenuous.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/The-...dation-of-the-NYC-Based-Crysis-2-133044.shtml

However if they do use that tech (the version shown is a 6 month old tech demo) it will blow my mind.

it was developed by Crytek programmer Marco Corbetta and 3D modeler Miragoli Gianluca .So we can say that they can implement it in the game as well.
Note that you can also see similar stuff in the last cryengine 3 video @1:13.
CryEngine 3 Beauty Speed Interaction Trailer

MDSLKTR

Scans are out. Looks bland (maybe because of the bad quality and the grey urban color palette), but there's one shot... If it's real time then holy shit...

MDSLKTR said:
Scans are out. Looks bland (maybe because of the bad quality and the grey urban color palette), but there's one shot... If it's real time then holy shit...

I don't see why not, with DX11 tesselation, an order of magnitude increase in model geometric complexity should be par for the course.

Saw the scans, meh.

Main reason I liked Far Cry 1 and Crysis was the wide open tropical jungle locations so this whole urban jungle is just not doing it for me.

I have no doubt it'll be an amazing FPS experience, but just not the Crysis sequel that I was looking forward to (given the details we know to date).

=/

Zeliard

I'm really curious to see how they'll implement destructibility in an urban environment. Specifically, just how far they go with it.

Zzoram

I hope the PC version supports a ton of destructibility, and that the console version has at least as much as Battlefield Bad Company 2.

That's one thing that bothered me about Crysis. When I was on the wrong side of a wall, explosions wouldn't make a shortcut for me.

matmanx1

It's scheduled for the "latter half" of 2010 as of now so I certainly hope so.

Crysis is one of my favorite PC gaming experiences of the last couple of years so I have high hopes for the sequel.

No aliens or other crap, only human enemies and I'm in this time.

Scans look awesome and I hope they can implement the things in the video above.

edit: I read aliens :(

jett

D-Member
Hard to get excited with the pictures shown in the article. Maybe if I knew how to read german... :p

The overall art style and color palette reminds me a lot of Black.

As long as it runs better than previous Crysis games, i'm looking forward to it. Hopefully the focus on consoles has one postive to it - bleeding-edge, highly optimised programming.

short info summary of what I read, not complete and all:

- aliens attacked and ny is destroyed
- they explain one mission
- big ship crashed into skycraper and you have to go there to get some DNA
- big new element is the vertical axis of the game
- in Crysis you could only jump on a car
- this time you can go up the skycrapers to jump off of them for example or to check and mark your targets before you attack

- 4 types of ways to use the nanosuit
- infiltrate - while in this mode you are invisible and can see enemies through walls
- power
- tactic - you can see where you are attacked from, you can hear far away conversations, you can see weapons laying around and stuff
- armor mode - better protection

- they are experimenting with different huds for every mode

- there is a third fraction in the game which is attacking the player AND the aliens

- dark elements with dead bodies swimming around with some flair like in stalker
- color elements like in The Saboteur
- where the alien ship crashed it seems all living is gone, everything is grey and dark, only red and yellow is noticable
- aliens do not look like in Crysis but like Predators. Walking on two legs and has some kind of dreadlocks
- this alien is totally badass and fearful

not complete, don't hurt me if something is wrong. just a small overview ;)

- there is a third fraction in the game which is attacking the player AND the aliens
- aliens do not look like in Crysis but like Predators. Walking on two legs and has some kind of dreadlocks

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee :O

Nizz

Caesar III said:

- dark elements with dead bodies swimming around with some flair like in stalker
- where the alien ship crashed it seems all living is gone, everything is grey and dark, only red and yellow is noticable

Thanks for the info, Caesar III. The bolded part is what worries me. I've always wanted to get my hands on a Crysis game for the beauty of the environment.

I'm sure that area they're describing will look damn good. I'm just hoping that somewhere in the game you'll go through some similar setting, or a forest like setting. Central Park?

I'm still excited that I'll get to play a Crysis game on consoles (in my case PS3). Hope they show it off at E3.

fps fanatic said:
Thanks for the info, Caesar III. The bolded part is what worries me. I've always wanted to get my hands on a Crysis game for the beauty of the environment.
like I mentioned above it's some kind of game element. It's only exactly there. Like Paris is grey in The Saboteur at first and like the world in Okamis is dead all over.

They did not mention if you can change it like you can in above games but they use the fading colors as some kind of stylistic element

Frenck

Banned
fps fanatic said:
The PC Gamer article?

The German PC Games article. They were probably shown the same live demo as PC Gamer and the game was played on a Xbox 360, no PC version in sight :D

Nizz

Frenck said:
The German PC Games article. They were probably shown the same live demo as PC Gamer and the game was played on a Xbox 360, no PC version in sight :D
Damn, that's crazy.

It's easier to show a game to someone when you only have to hold a controller.
It's also a lot of easier to look at because you CANNOT do highspeed lookarounds what you would normally do with mouse/keyboard.

Blablurn

i always dreamt of a big ego shooter which takes place in a huge city. and new york is the best scenario. most anticipated game? maybe. i hope the ps3 version will deliver.

Luigiv

Caesar III said:

- aliens attacked and ny is destroyed
- they explain one mission
- big ship crashed into skycraper and you have to go there to get some DNA
- in Crysis you could only jump on a car
- this time you can go up the skycrapers to jump off of them for example or to check and mark your targets before you attack

- 4 types of ways to use the nanosuit
- infiltrate - while in this mode you are invisible and can see enemies through walls
- power
- tactic - you can see where you are attacked from, you can hear far away conversations, you can see weapons laying around and stuff
- armor mode - better protection

- they are experimenting with different huds for every mode

That actually sounds really good. I just wish it was set in a different city (I'm sick of NYC already and I've never even been there).

GONz

Caesar III said:

Fuck yes

Caesar III said:

Hope they're not floating and octopus-shaped >.<

Binabik15

Hey, where´s my speed mode D:

I need to be like Usaine Bolt when I fuck up an ambush on Delta.

Everything else sounds good (Predator rip.offs, yay) or okay, but I want to see how the "verticality" works. I hate first person jumping.

-SD-

Banned
PC Games Magazin just RELEASED THE SCANS ON THEIR OWN WEBSITE (of all places) :D

http://www.pcgames.de/aid,686641/Cr...te-Screenshots-Missionen-vorgestellt/PC/News/
Updates 29 January 2010: The interest in Crysis 2 is so large that - no surprise - the first scan of the PC Games title story was published on the Internet. We show you these scans in our gallery. Please note that you will find the best quality of pictures and additional info only in PC Games 02/10, which currently is available at newsstands. Alternatively, you can also visit our subscription shop.

derFeef

Well, not original ideas (Half-Life, AvP, crackdown[?],..) but Crytek is going to execute all of this pretty well. I am sure.

Binabik15

Wow, so far the article is a really good read. Prophet is back, bitches
is he?

Power mode merged with speed mode :D Modes are vastly different from each other, tactical blocks out background noises, infiltration has a passive ability (seeing enemies) and an active one (invisibility) using power. Armour mode makes your steps louder, you hear the suit harden up and bulllet impacts make a different noise. More in-depth story.

randyecoplasm.jpeg

Edit: tearing machine guns from vehicles and killing enemies with it? All over my face.

Top Bottom