• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't like this train of thought. When did / why do games lose all value when they hit some arbitrary age?

Early adopters pay more to play early, and then the prices drop so more people will buy the game/dlc later. In a world where Steam sales exist, the DLC not going on sale occasionally is a bit ridiculous tbh. The games even go on sale regularly.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I really wonder what's preventing EA or Bioware of just getting rid of Bioware Points for ME games. It can't just be an incredibly difficult technical issue.

I'm going to guess it's more like they do not care at all about this and want to spend 0 resources and effort on this because it's old games on the least popular platform of the series.(I'm assuming it was more popular on PS3 than PC, could be wrong).

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So what is a non-arbitrary period of time when games lose all value?

I'm curious, do you think electronics made 6 years ago should be sold at the same price as in 2010? TV, computers, fridges, etc.? Let's say they're still new or barely used for the sake of argument. I mean, their value is just the same as back then, right?

Old stuff tend to lower in price overtime, that's nothing new. There's no reason why video games should be an exception.
Do you think that SNES games being sold for 8$ on the VC is not normal? That they should be sold for the same price as back in the 90s when SNES games were sometimes over 70$? I mean, video games don't lose any value over time, am I right?

Ralemont

not me
Take this with a grain of salt as it's all unconfirmed, but in light of getting probably little to no news until June, I thought it was interesting anyway. There's a user on the Bio forums who says his buddy's played a small vertical slice of Andromeda. The user isn't traditionally known to BS about this type of stuff, and a lot of what his friend told him lines up with what has been already leaked (such as deployable shields through omnitools, seamless transitions, using Remnant artifact missions to find weapon schematics, etc), with some new stuff that seems pretty reasonable. With all that being said, it could just be someone making shit up.

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/569831-oki-know-how-this-is-gonna-sound/

1: there us a Krogan character in the squad so far called Drake. (my note: this is Drack from the previous leaks, I'd wager)

2: There is a Synthetic in the squad...it is not a geth

3: A big thing that was a focus of this was showcasing the "no loading times". Apparently there are none. From flying through the "map" to picking a planet to landing with the squad. Problem my friend was made aware that thanks to this approach graphical features were loading after game play begun. He did not care much....but the person making him aware was not happy.

4: Squad AI was better than he remembered from ME3. He pointed out the companions were aggressive and actively using shields when the team was taking damage and whatnit but he made it sound like they were more like the Geth deployable shields from the early ME1. Might have been me interpreting wrong tho. Game play was described as "familiar" and "refined" from ME3.

So the ship flying around happen's somewhat like in the trailer as I said. You CAN partially direct the shuttle to the planet as you land, he did not know if there were limits to that.

Now weapons. Some weapons have cool down, some have thermal clips. Mods are back in full force and there are beam weapons. Mods work in synergy so some mods will complement one another better than others meaning the whole might be more than the sum of the parts. He also said you can mod some weapons to take clips OR cool down.

Apparently a lot of this revolves on finding ancient artifacts of a civilization that colonized that part of andromeda in the past. Sounds suspiciously familiar.

Personally I love the sound of mod synergy and having some weapons be clip-based and some cooldown based.

A big thing that was a focus of this was showcasing the "no loading times". Apparently there are none. From flying through the "map" to picking a planet to landing with the squad. Problem my friend was made aware that thanks to this approach graphical features were loading after game play begun. He did not care much....but the person making him aware was not happy.
If they stick with seamless loading times then... Brehs, elevators make their triumphant return.
Now weapons. Some weapons have cool down, some have thermal clips. Mods are back in full force and there are beam weapons. Mods work in synergy so some mods will complement one another better than others meaning the whole might be more than the sum of the parts. He also said you can mod some weapons to take clips OR cool down.
Oooh sweet baby Jesus yes.
Apparently a lot of this revolves on finding ancient artifacts of a civilization that colonized that part of andromeda in the past. Sounds suspiciously familiar.
Meh.

diaspora

If they stick with seamless loading times then... Brehs, elevators make their triumphant return.

Oooh sweet baby Jesus yes.

Meh.

Do they? We're not dealing with systems running on 512MB RAM anymore.

In Frostbite I trust.

edit: Incidentally I'm not opposed to coming across ancient artifacts. You have that in Dragon Age where something as minute as the leafless tree on a minor quest item- Flemeth's book in DAO builds up to something big in DAI. It can be good and interesting, the real question is if they can pull it off.

diaspora

I could see that too. Battlefield 4 already does it, and it's a cross-gen game.

DAI locations are reasonably huge as well, where things like forts and such are built into the world with oftentimes no loading. The only time I remember any is that tavern in redcliffe.

DOWN

Banned
DA I had so many fetch quests so I really hope they are working overtime to take a page from ME2/3 and Witcher 3 and trying to stick with written quests rather than object heavy. This is coming from someone who hated Witcher 3 and loved DAI. The quest structure in W3 got stale way slower than most western RPGs of the last several years.
Do they? We're not dealing with systems running on 512MB RAM anymore.

In Frostbite I trust.

edit: Incidentally I'm not opposed to coming across ancient artifacts. You have that in Dragon Age where something as minute as the leafless tree on a minor quest item- Flemeth's book in DAO builds up to something big in DAI. It can be good and interesting, the real question is if they can pull it off.
ME 1 had stunning atmosphere partly due to how artifacts, dead astronauts and scientists of various species, and lost ships and science outposts were placed without fanfare throughout the solar systems. A long walk on an open plain that led to a frozen body who had been exploring the vastness. It was incredible and I'm so thankful planetary exploration is back.The

diaspora

DA I had so many fetch quests so I really hope they are working overtime to take a page from ME2/3 and Witcher 3 and trying to stick with written quests rather than object heavy. This is coming from someone who hated Witcher 3 and loved DAI. The quest structure in W3 got stale way slower than most western RPGs of the last several years.

ME 1 had stunning atmosphere partly due to how artifacts, dead astronauts and scientists of various species, and lost ships and science outposts were placed without fanfare throughout the solar systems. A long walk on an open plain that led to a frozen body who had been exploring the vastness. It was incredible and I'm so thankful planetary exploration is back.The

The entire game of ME1 outside of the main quests were fetchquests >.>

ME1 was ambitious and it was awful no small thanks to the nature of UE3. But I mean ultimately, the game was filled with boxes of nearly nothing with an occasional copy/paste building/mine. The progression of stuff you find from DAO through to DAI is impressive there's offhand stuff you'll hear in the first game that builds up to something bigger by the third.

There'll still be loading times obviously, but no screens. Basically the level loads as you're flying down to the planet.
they could've just done that in the previous games too. like in Me2 when you go to the citadel or omega there'd be that cutscene that plays; they could've just had that play during the loadscreen to save time like in uncharted.

Out of the supposed 7 squadmates we've got:

Drack the Krogan
Cora the biotic human female
Synthetic

I'm guessing the rest will be:

Obligatory human male
Obligatory Asari (blegh)
Obligatory Turian
New race or Quarian

Take this with a grain of salt as it's all unconfirmed, but in light of getting probably little to no news until June, I thought it was interesting anyway. There's a user on the Bio forums who says his buddy's played a small vertical slice of Andromeda. The user isn't traditionally known to BS about this type of stuff, and a lot of what his friend told him lines up with what has been already leaked (such as deployable shields through omnitools, seamless transitions, using Remnant artifact missions to find weapon schematics, etc), with some new stuff that seems pretty reasonable. With all that being said, it could just be someone making shit up.

Personally I love the sound of mod synergy and having some weapons be clip-based and some cooldown based.

Been reading the thread since last night. Much of it is accurate.

if there is a krogan on your squad then that means there's krogan on that ship escaping the milky way?

Part of me is wondering if the synthetic is a copy/backup of EDI's mind/software.
Apparently the synthetic is "male".
if there is a krogan on your squad then that means there's krogan on that ship escaping the milky way?
BioWare have been repeating the point about 'new home for humanity' but the entire thing must've been worked on by nearly all races, or at least all council races, otherwise it wouldn't be feasible. I'm guessing a few krogan from various clans volunteer to go to Andromeda.

I think it meant no loading screens hidden or otherwise in a particular world, like going in and out of buildings/caves/etc.

Yeah. Worlds will have to load (and of course we get a cutscene of the ship or shuttle landing 'cause c'mon), and once we're there it's all gravy.

Loving the sound of weapon customization.

DOWN

Banned
The entire game of ME1 outside of the main quests were fetchquests >.>

ME1 was ambitious and it was awful no small thanks to the nature of UE3. But I mean ultimately, the game was filled with boxes of nearly nothing with an occasional copy/paste building/mine. The progression of stuff you find from DAO through to DAI is impressive there's offhand stuff you'll hear in the first game that builds up to something bigger by the third.

Read again as I haven't leveled ME1 to be a technical hallmark at all and it isn't mentioned once in the post you quoted. That said, let's not try to deny the atmosphere they conceived and conveyed with their exploration, further evidenced by the return of the concept for the upcoming game. It had plenty of beauty and superior creative vision.

diaspora

Read again as I haven't leveled ME1 to be a technical hallmark at all and it isn't mentioned once in the post you quoted. That said, let's not try to deny the atmosphere they conceived and conveyed with their exploration, further evidenced by the return of the concept for the upcoming game. It had plenty of beauty and superior creative vision.

There was nothing conveyed through those open boxes. Removing it was probably the biggest improvement moving from ME1 to 2. It's not even about technical acuity, but the fact that there was virtually nothing there.

edit: Like if ME 2 and 3 added those empty planets back the series would have been worse off for it.

SnowTeeth

Banned
So what is a non-arbitrary period of time when games lose all value?

It's been 4 years and I'm still forced to pay $80AU for the 4 DLC packs. The base game is now $20. Why would they decrease the game price and not the DLC? They were banking on this all along. It's disgusting.

Thanks for the link.

Really looking forward to learning more about the party members. So far we know of the Krogan (Drek?), a blonde female, and this synthetic (assuming this is true). Am I missing any others?

1: there us a Krogan character in the squad so far called Drake.
hotline-bling-gif-7.gif

Banned
Thanks for the link.

Really looking forward to learning more about the party members. So far we know of the Krogan (Drek?), a blonde female, and this synthetic (assuming this is true). Am I missing any others?

hotline-bling-gif-7.gif
If all this is true I'll end up dancing like drake in my living room.

Mindlog

The best of every world. This setup gives them even more freedom to meaningfully differentiate many more weapon types. Norman and company did wonderful work in this area and I'm relieved to hear that those lessons live on.

Grain of salt of course.

The best of every world. This setup gives them even more freedom to meaningfully differentiate many more weapon types. Norman and company did wonderful work in this area and I'm relieved to hear that those lessons live on.

Grain of salt of course.

Agreed. Weapon variety has done nothing but improve from as the series went on, very glad to see that trend continue (if true).

Apparently the synthetic is "male".

BioWare have been repeating the point about 'new home for humanity' but the entire thing must've been worked on by nearly all races, or at least all council races, otherwise it wouldn't be feasible. I'm guessing a few krogan from various clans volunteer to go to Andromeda.
Cool. Makes sense to me.
I don't know the full extent as to who all exactly is on the Ark ship.
so we do know that there's at least 1 krogan?

Ralemont

not me
The presence of a krogan is interesting, though not as interesting as, say, the presence of a quarian or geth (if either of those were confirmed, it would mean the Ark has to leave before Rannoch happens). Krogans can still exist even with the genophage maintained so Tuchanka's less of a barrier. Still, the question is under what scenario the Council races would even let krogans aboard with limited space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom