• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive is $799, ships early April 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z3M0G

He is high on the motion controls and has only used a DK2 so the comments about no screen door and the resolution etc are to be taken with a large pinch of salt.

It is a fun video though.

I'm not even talking about the screen door and resolution... I'm talking about the motion tracking...

But I realize now that he probably only used a standard controller in Oculus... that part slipped my mind.

I'd like him to try PSVR and compare.

Thanks. How would a 3rd person game even work in VR? That I can see giving motion sickness.

If only my Vive was shipping in April instead of May :(
If you do the camera controls right you can avoid it - remember that the Oculus Rift is *shipping* with a 3rd person Marioesque platformer packed with it, they wouldn't do that if it made people sick.

I'm not even talking about the screen door and resolution... I'm talking about the motion tracking...

But I realize now that he probably only used a standard controller in Oculus... that part slipped my mind.

Yeah, nobody but a very select few developers have access to Oculus Touch. It didn't even exist when the DK2 was released. But going by the impressions I've read/seen, it's just as impressive and 1-1. The concerns come from room scale, and the Touch's potential occlusion issues when you turn and your body blocks line of sight to the cameras. But given its delay, I have to imagine it's something they're working on.

Zaptruder

Banned
Yup. Don't depend on VR SLI guys. This has to be implemented on a game by game basis.

Other than the fact that it needs to be explicitly implemented... is it particularly difficult for devs to add? Is it essentially a few lines of code to enable it? Or is it a deeper design based implementation that requires significant resources to optimize for?

libertytoast

Neo Member
Other than the fact that it needs to be explicitly implemented... is it particularly difficult for devs to add? Is it essentially a few lines of code to enable it? Or is it a deeper design based implementation that requires significant resources to optimize for?

I know multiple engines, and Nvidia Gameworks, are rolling out VR SLI support. I read that the issue is that using SLI changes how the game is rendered. If devs are trying to get the best looking experience at a consistent framerate, delving into SLI means they'd have to plan out multiple ways to render their game.

I think at this point most games are far enough along that going back to add SLI support would cause delays, and a lot of devs are trying to target a certain release window, with the Rift and Vive coming out within the next month.

Qassim

Are there any demos of people using the Vive whilst sitting? Can't imagine it would have trouble tracking whilst sitting provided the lighthouses are placed well, but would like to see more recent impressions of it.

cakefoo

I have to recommend Space Pirate Trainer to y'all!! Lots of awesome fun, but don't blame me if you get hurt when you're diving around and such. :p

Hover Junkers is a no brainer as well.

If you have little kids they'll love Final Approach. There's also a version of Surgeon Simulator for the Vive, but not sure if they're releasing to the public that my small cousins have had a blast on. Haha

I have some others I've been playing a bunch, but I dont think they've been revealed yet.

Also, just so you guys know Budget Cuts isn't releasing along with the Vive on April. They'll release later in the year I think.
Ooh, unannounced games. Good to hear more software is coming than we know of.

Everyone is showing TheBlu (whale demo) when showing off the Vive. They better have that exact demo available at launch. I care not for the full game as much as I do that little demo. It's what I want to show everyone when they first use the Vive.

Any word on if I can get my hands on that demo for the CV?

dhonk

Shiiiiiiiiiiiet guys. Got the Pre today (dev hookup) and it was my first VR experience. Can't stop thinking about it, its absolutely insane. Didnt experience any major hiccups besides the secret shop demo being kind of choppy. The portal demo is just.......

I dunno you guys, I thought those "this is the future" stuff was dumb but wow.

Durante

For now my list is as follows (excluding the games that are packed in with Vive already):

Mind: Path to Thalamus
Irrational Exuberance
Audioshield
Modbox
Space Pirate Trainer
Call of Starseed
Hover Junkers
Fantastic Contraption

Might try also A legend of Luca.

I have Elite Dangerous already.
I'm getting all those and Cloudlands VR Minigolf. That one should be great to demonstrate VR to non-gamers.
(And to tell the truth I also really want to play it myself)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
From the VR games thread:

Pollen got a Steam Store page:

header.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/393750/

Vive and Oculus. Thats great.

P·O·L·L·E·N is an atmospheric, suspenseful and highly interactive first person sci-fi exploration game set on Saturn’s moon Titan. Delve into the richly detailed Station M, and try everything you can get your hands on to uncover the mysteries that lie beneath the moon’s crust.

I'm very interested in this kind of game, so I just added another entry on my list.

Onemic

Are the recommended specs posted for Vive and Rift even sufficient? I just looked at the Elite Dangerous recommended requirements for VR in the game and it recommends at least a GTX 980....

artsi

Are the recommended specs posted for Vive and Rift even sufficient? I just looked at the Elite Dangerous recommended requirements for VR in the game and it recommends at least a GTX 980....

Some games can have higher requirements, it's just everything in Oculus Store that will have to run perfectly with a 970.

It's 1:1, but also uses a far worse tracking solution in terms of accuracy & scale (for 360 degrees and room-scale anyway)
Not really. It's different technology, but it's not significantly less accurate, and allows for room-scale in exactly the same maximum size as Vive. Palmer Luckey even showed off a layout where he was playing around with it. The difference is on Oculus you need a really long USB cable to move one of the cameras to the opposite corner of the room, and it doesn't have the useful built-in camera on the headset.

For Oculus, they won't allow any app in their Oculus Home store that doesn't run at a solid 90fps using the recommended specs, meaning Elite Dangerous won't be allowed into the store (they are sort-of treating their store as a game console with a known set of specs). Elite Dangerous requires a killer system mainly because how it renders planets in the new Horizons expansion is very processor/GPU intensive; if you remain in space and on stations you don't need as hefty a system. But land on a planet and boy does the game get choppy if you don't really drop your settings. And choppy framerate is baaaaad in VR...puke city.

Onemic

Not really. It's different technology, but it's not significantly less accurate, and allows for room-scale in exactly the same maximum size as Vive. Palmer Luckey even showed off a layout where he was playing around with it. The difference is on Oculus you need a really long USB cable to move one of the cameras to the opposite corner of the room, and it doesn't have the useful built-in camera on the headset.

For Oculus, they won't allow any app in their Oculus Home store that doesn't run at a solid 90fps using the recommended specs, meaning Elite Dangerous won't be allowed into the store (they are sort-of treating their store as a game console with a known set of specs). Elite Dangerous requires a killer system mainly because how it renders planets in the new Horizons expansion is very processor/GPU intensive; if you remain in space and on stations you don't need as hefty a system. But land on a planet and boy does the game get choppy if you don't really drop your settings. And choppy framerate is baaaaad in VR...puke city.

Do you know what the AMD equivalent of their GPU requirement would be? Im hoping its the 390x....

Akronis

Do you know what the AMD equivalent of their GPU requirement would be? Im hoping its the 390x....

If you're talking about the AMD equiv of the GTX 970, yea, the 390 would be just fine. It's actually been performing better than the GTX 980 recently with some AAA games.

This is a must watch... wow THIS is how you demo VR through a video.

Edit: where he flips the controller and catches it should be .gif'd. (5:56)

Edit:... Ok... this guy goes on and on about how much better this is from Oculus... doing basic things like flipping the controller because Oculus is not 1-1 enough to allow that to be possible... and the shooting demo with the shield he is doing...

Is he off on this? I'd expect the same from Oculus and even PSVR...

Does he have a Touch? No? I mean, most developers don't have one, so I doubt he has one.

Therefore I can only suppose he is bullshitting.

Vive recommended specs seems... softer than Oculus, a bit like the spec of every game on Steam which are to be interpreted as anyone can; while Oculus on the other hand seems it will be harsher on it (you need to reach their goals with that spec to be sold on their store). Imo, Oculus is following a more curated experience with more control, reminding me of Apple.

Clydebink

Neo Member
Everyone is showing TheBlu (whale demo) when showing off the Vive. They better have that exact demo available at launch. I care not for the full game as much as I do that little demo. It's what I want to show everyone when they first use the Vive.

I don't know, but it's on the Oculus Store for the GearVR.

Don't worry, people that actively want VR to fail will stop spouting their stupidity once they eventually try it for themselves.

Anyone with an open mind and the slightest bit of common sense has known it was the future for years now, it's just time for everyone else to catch up :p

Bsigg12

While were talking about the Rift, have they said anything about the DK2 being able to play CV games?

Does the Oculus SDK 1.0 support the DK2? I know they've only rolled the 1.0 version of the SDK out to devs who have promised a game on March 28th so we haven't really seen much of what was added to that yet.

Does the Oculus SDK 1.0 support the DK2? I know they've only rolled the 1.0 version of the SDK out to devs who have promised a game on March 28th so we haven't really seen much of what was added to that yet.
Yeah I just found a tweet where they've said it does, so I should be good to go. There aren't any feature breaking things missing off the dk2 so I should be good to go on any Rift exclusives.
If not, then oh well, but its nice to think.

Neil_J_UK

I really, REALLY want a Vive... but my gaming room isn't big enough and would limit me to gaming at my desk only. Not sure if it would be a waste or not.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

Holy shit. I have never seen this, but this looks like it would be an awesome demo for sense of presence.

Hope this and many other demos like Robot Repair, Back to Dinosaur Island etc... will be available to mess around with.

Mihos

Gold Member
I'm getting all those and Cloudlands VR Minigolf. That one should be great to demonstrate VR to non-gamers.
(And to tell the truth I also really want to play it myself)

I thought I was the only one kind of excited about minigolf....I don't even play in real life, but VR sounds perfect for some reason.

Bsigg12

Yeah I just found a tweet where they've said it does, so I should be good to go. There aren't any feature breaking things missing off the dk2 so I should be good to go on any Rift exclusives.

Yea I just saw your edit. I suppose the biggest differences are the CV1 require a higher resolution and framerate than the DK2. Besides that, the tracking is roughly the same though the CV1 has more possible points for the constellation tracking including on the back of the head in the strap.

Anyways, we're just over a week away from the games showcase Oculus is having at GDC and we're 24 days out from people receiving their Rifts so that's exciting.

Do we know if Valve or HTC will have a presence at GDC?

Well there's my answer! Awesome, GDC should be a good one this year.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So, had not realized until the other day that the Vive has no integrated audio.

What is everyone using for an audio solution? I have Turtle Beach XP Sevens that are pretty great, but I worry about cord length when using roomscale....

dhonk

What is everyone using for an audio solution? I have Turtle Beach XP Sevens that are pretty great, but I worry about cord length when using roomscale....

The headphone jack is on the headset so presumably you can just wrap the cord up a bit so it isn't dangling down so far.

I'm using Koss Porta Pros right now. Works a treat.
Also tried grados, those did good too.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment

The Vive has a head phone jack. Better yet, get a wireless headphone!

Games with Elite's requirements are extremely rare. But even then, Elite's recommended requirements are for "a full 90fps with our VR optimised graphics settings rendering at 3024x1680 (1.4x each dimension recommended by Valve) and then scaling down. We believe this is hugely important for anti-aliasing in VR to avoid noticing pixels so much so that's the spec we're confident putting our name on for a consistent gameplay experience when you're exploring our galaxy". Rendering at native res with some settings turned down should ease the requirements a bit, they just want to recommend a high quality experience. Having ran Elite in a DK2 with everything on low on an R9 280 it was still utterly mindblowing, so I'm willing to forgo optimal graphical quality if I can get it to run at 90fps on a 970.

There are a couple feature-breaking things missing: the built-in microphone and headphones designed around 3D audio. The Rift has its own complete audio system built-in for the 3D audio, to the point that Palmer Luckey says even if you have better quality headphones the built-in ones will provide a vastly superior VR experience. If any game is written to use the microphone though I wouldn't be surprised if you can use any old microphone or headset for it.

There are a couple feature-breaking things missing: the built-in microphone and headphones designed around 3D audio. The Rift has its own complete audio system built-in for the 3D audio, to the point that Palmer Luckey says even if you have better quality headphones the built-in ones will provide a vastly superior VR experience.
While those are certainly enhacements, it doesn't sound like either of those will cause games to not work with a supplied headphones and mic.

Also that was a weird repeat post but whatevs.

mrlion

PSVR will have to do until then.

The PSVR will be just as expensive. True, Sony at one point said that it'll cost just as much as a console, I say that's very unrealistic considering that the PS4 itself can't power the headset, it needs a separate box to do that.

That is why they are not revealing the price yet.

The PSVR will be just as expensive. True, Sony at one point said that it'll cost just as much as a console, I say that's very unrealistic considering that the PS4 itself can't power the headset, it needs a separate box to do that.

The breakout box does not provide any processing power. All it does is de-warp the video signal so it can be displayed on a TV.

Bsigg12

The breakout box doesn't do what you think it does. It processes the 3D audio and it unwraps the video to allow it to be sent to a TV. That is it and Sony has said that a thousand times now.

Alec

Shiiiiiiiiiiiet guys. Got the Pre today (dev hookup) and it was my first VR experience. Can't stop thinking about it, its absolutely insane. Didnt experience any major hiccups besides the secret shop demo being kind of choppy. The portal demo is just.......

One of us. One of us.

Onemic

Games with Elite's requirements are extremely rare. But even then, Elite's recommended requirements are for "a full 90fps with our VR optimised graphics settings rendering at 3024x1680 (1.4x each dimension recommended by Valve) and then scaling down. We believe this is hugely important for anti-aliasing in VR to avoid noticing pixels so much so that's the spec we're confident putting our name on for a consistent gameplay experience when you're exploring our galaxy". Rendering at native res with some settings turned down should ease the requirements a bit, they just want to recommend a high quality experience. Having ran Elite in a DK2 with everything on low on an R9 280 it was still utterly mindblowing, so I'm willing to forgo optimal graphical quality if I can get it to run at 90fps on a 970.

Im probably gonna be getting an R9 390x when my Vive ships in May(unless Polaris/Pascal cards release before then) so as long as it can run on that Ill be happy. (and hopefully not on low settings :p )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom