• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive is $799, ships early April 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buy one of these:

http://www.alienware.com/landings/oculus/

install steam on it, run big picture mode and check the box that says "start steam and run big picture mode when my PC boots." Set the PC to boot without any password prompts.

Bam, you have what you asked for. You'll never really have to interact with windows again. Your PC, when you turn it on, will take you directly to this:

It's controllable with an ordinary Xbox pad, or a keyboard, or a mouse, or a steam controller. It has a built in Webbrowser that is gamepad compatible. You can install and uninstall things on your PC from within steam's interface, using your gamepad. You can launch and reboot and turn off your PC from within this interface. All your friendslist stuff is in this interface. You can launch steamVR games from it.

If you wanted to go one step further, you could also install Kodi on your computer, then add a link from Steam to it, so you could launch this from that interface:

That would handle all your media needs. It's also controllable with an xbox controller. You can add an icon to Kodi from steam so it smoothly integrates.
This is pretty much exactly what I want! Time to save. I priced the oculus-ready boxes? 999.00 + vive = a nearly 2k investment. Let's hope developers really embrace this tech and it takes off!

bj00rn_

Banned
So close and I still can't decide which of my pre-orders to keep.. But I guess it would be a little crazy to not keep my +8 minutes Vive pre-order considering theres not going to be any Touch for a while.. Right?

The display is the same I've heard but not confirmed. Could it be from the same manufacturer?

Any news about the lens quality difference? Same quality, same FOV?

artsi

So close and I still can't decide which of my pre-orders to keep.. But I guess it would be a little crazy to not keep my +8 minutes Vive pre-order considering theres not going to be any Touch for a while.. Right?

The display is the same I've heard but not confirmed. Could it be from the same manufacturer?

Any news about the lens quality difference? Same quality, same FOV?

I don't remember if it was Brendan or Palmer from Oculus who said it, but anyway they mentioned that Samsung is the only company that can provide them the displays they need in the mass production capacity. So I would assume that HTC is ordering theirs from the same production line.

Lenses are supposed to be a bit better on the Rift, but let's see until reviews come out.

Personally I'm keeping my Rift pre-order, and I'll get Vive later this year when there's more software available.
I want both to my HMD collection so I can look back 10-20 years from now and wonder how crappy these first consumer kits were, yet so amazing :p

Krejlooc

Banned
This is pretty much exactly what I want! Time to save. I priced the oculus-ready boxes? 999.00 + vive = a nearly 2k investment. Let's hope developers really embrace this tech and it takes off!

Well, those are Alienware boxes. You can save some money if you, as an example, go with some AMD options instead, but I think the builds they show on that page are pretty much what you want.

And yeah, $1500-2000 is pretty much the expected price range for top of the line VR these days. It'll come down eventually, though.

This past week was crazy busy and I somehow missed the Vive pre-order until Thursday. I thought about it for a day (dat $799 pricetag) and then pre-ordered yesterday. It still said "Ships in May" but that could just be static text on the page - the actual confirmation message didn't say anything about an expected ship date (unlike the Rift pre-order).

I wonder which I will receive first, my slightly late Rift pre-order, or my relatively more late Vive pre-order. My only worry now is that it will take so long for the Oculus touch controllers to ship that it will be harder to decide which one I keep and which one I sell, until the resale value starts dropping.

Was responding to this

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This past week was crazy busy and I somehow missed the Vive pre-order until Thursday. I thought about it for a day (dat $799 pricetag) and then pre-ordered yesterday. It still said "Ships in May" but that could just be static text on the page - the actual confirmation message didn't say anything about an expected ship date (unlike the Rift pre-order).

I wonder which I will receive first, my slightly late Rift pre-order, or my relatively more late Vive pre-order. My only worry now is that it will take so long for the Oculus touch controllers to ship that it will be harder to decide which one I keep and which one I sell, until the resale value starts dropping.

This is how I'm approaching it:

Assume the touch controllers will be as good as the vive controllers. The wildcard is whether oculus can bring room scale to the OR along with it (I think they have to, and will)

So then it becomes more a - how much am I getting out of room scale in the next six months (realistically not that many games during that time, but they could be so fantastic I have to experience them *now*)

Spend time with both and if one headset is noticeably better than the other then I'll go with that - eg the vive has been mentioned to be front heavy which may not be as good for long sessions, and the rift is supposed to have clearer image quality.

If the headsets are close enough - If vive motion controllers and room scale blow me away then I'll keep the vive.

dhonk

Anyone else here have a dev kit? Need some input.

The secret shop demo isnt as smooth as Id like, and wondering if theres any tweaks I can do to help. If I look at the table it chops up like mad. all other demos perform great. Its a shame because its an incredible demo.

Spec: 32gb ram, 5960x, Titan X

Evo X

I've decided to keep pre-orders for both the Rift and Vive. I'll be getting them at their respective launch dates, March 28th and April 5th, since I placed orders within minutes of initial availability.

That way I can actually judge them fairly back to back instead of just listening to online debates and decide which one is best for my purposes. Hell, I might even end up keeping both if the experiences are unique enough.

Even if I decide to sell one, I doubt I will lose much money as they seem to be back ordered.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
So, had not realized until the other day that the Vive has no integrated audio.

What is everyone using for an audio solution? I have Turtle Beach XP Sevens that are pretty great, but I worry about cord length when using roomscale....
I just bought a pair of sennheisser HD 598's for vive specifically. Nice soundstage and all that.

The length shouldn't be an issue unless you're worried about it being too long, there's an extension right in the HMD.

Qassim

I think I've also settled on keeping my pre-orders for both the Rift and Vive, yeah there will be eventually a lot of overlap, but I've decided to sell a couple of devices I own which I haven't really used for nearly a year which could pretty much pay for the Rift and more. Plus selling those devices should help free up some room in for room scale VR :D

I may end up selling one of them, but I doubt it, I think it may take longer than by the end of the year for them both to converge on each other, if they actually do.

Monger

UPDATE regarding my multiple devices output quandary from earlier today.

My integrated audio is Realtek. Realtek HD audio drivers comes with a virtual recording device called Stereo Mix that is disabled by default. Enabling it allows me to have my computer repeat my default device's audio to another device. The only issue is that this seems to introduce about 300-400 milliseconds of latency to the secondary device (in this case, my surround sound and bass shaker by extension). That's kind of a lot of latency.

I'm going to try one of the virtual audio cable deals to see if it handles the latency better.

UPDATE 2:

My Sound Blaster card had the same feature, called "What U Hear", which accomplishes the same task with near-imperceptible latency. Issue resolved!

Thanks for the update. I'll check out my options and see what I have. Good luck with the rest of the setup. I had a Buttkicker in an old apartment setup and I really liked that little guy. It wouldn't really work in my new setup so I just shake the whole block with a couple Danley DTS10s instead.

If you want full room vr at some point wouldn't the Vive be the choice to make. Oculus doesn't have a full room solution yet.
Not if you want it "at some point", because Oculus is getting its Touch controllers and second camera for room-scale in just a few months. So just from a full-room-vr perspective, get Vive if you can't wait and must have full-room-vr on day 1. If you can wait, then it doesn't matter which one you get.

Thanks for the update. I'll check out my options and see what I have. Good luck with the rest of the setup. I had a Buttkicker in an old apartment setup and I really liked that little guy. It wouldn't really work in my new setup so I just shake the whole block with a couple Danley DTS10s instead.

Yep, I'm glad it ended up being as simple as it did. I'm still going to have to have sound coming out of my speakers if I want to use the bass shaker, though. I wish I could crank my subwoofer up, but I like my downstairs neighbor.

Compsiox

Banned
Not if you want it "at some point", because Oculus is getting its Touch controllers and second camera for room-scale in just a few months. So just from a full-room-vr perspective, get Vive if you can't wait and must have full-room-vr on day 1. If you can wait, then it doesn't matter which one you get.

It won't be as good and accurate. Occlusion.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
These guys are streaming the vive pre on twitch right now and having a blast. They don't seem to have used it before so it's cool to see some first reactions. http://www.twitch.tv/omgitsfirefoxx/

God TiltBrush/VR is SO fuckin cool. Like, just watching this I'm overcome by it. I'm watching this person nonchalantly testing stroke thickness in the middle of the air, completely oblivious to the fact that she isn't really in the middle of this art gallery alone and creating. It looks so trivial to do something that is impossible in real life, and she is just there. It truly feels like the future. Incredible.

Cartman86

Banned

We don't know the extent of Oculus room scale yet. Right now games are being designed for two cameras in the front which does not allow for 360 degree movement with the motion controllers. It's possible Oculus will advise a more corner setup like Vive, but in that case we still don't know the specifics of the USB length or field of view.

Bsigg12

We don't know the extent of Oculus room scale yet. Right now games are being designed for two cameras in the front which does not allow for 360 degree movement with the motion controllers. It's possible Oculus will advise a more corner setup like Vive, but in that case we still don't know the specifics of the USB length or field of view.

Cameras can be set in other areas if the room but for the sake of convenience most demos we have seen all involve having the cameras both right up front. You can also have more than 2 cameras, the processing power requirement just goes up. I believe the CV1 camera is 110 degrees.

Cartman86

Banned
Cameras can be set in other areas if the room but for the sake of convenience most demos we have seen all involve having the cameras both right up front. You can also have more than 2 cameras, the processing power requirement just goes up. I believe the CV1 camera is 110 degrees.

Oculus will need to tell people what to target and as of yet it doesn't look like they have. You can't have people moving cameras around depending on the game. Until they market this I don't think anyone should just assume it will happen when Touch comes out.

Bsigg12

Oculus will need to tell people what to target and as of yet it doesn't look like they have. You can't have people moving cameras around depending on the game. Until they market this I don't think anyone should just assume it will happen when Touch comes out.

The Touch controllers and to what extent they will be utilized were obviously not complete hence them being pushed back to the second half of 2016. It lines up with their E3 press briefing this year which is likely to focus heavily on the Touch experience and games that are shipping alongside the controllers. I would fully expect them go into great detail on what to expect with the Touch controllers and the best practices for camera setup.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I've decided to keep pre-orders for both the Rift and Vive. I'll be getting them at their respective launch dates, March 28th and April 5th, since I placed orders within minutes of initial availability.

That way I can actually judge them fairly back to back instead of just listening to online debates and decide which one is best for my purposes. Hell, I might even end up keeping both if the experiences are unique enough.

Even if I decide to sell one, I doubt I will lose much money as they seem to be back ordered.

If resale prices are insane I might be tempted to flip one. But with the high price I can't imagine there would be much of a premium. I would prefer to pass it on to a gaffer at cost price.

Durante

That's still going with the idea that Rift+Touch will offer a room-scale experience equal to the Vive.

It's possible, but hardly a certainty, and everything Oculus have officially stated so far says nothing of the sort. There are real technical challenges with offering wall-to-wall, floor-to-ceiling VR with cameras, and while you can assume that they will be overcome it's still just an assumption.

It's 100 degrees horizontal and 70 vertical. A Lighthouse box covers 120 by 120 degrees.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The Touch controllers and to what extent they will be utilized were obviously not complete hence them being pushed back to the second half of 2016. It lines up with their E3 press briefing this year which is likely to focus heavily on the Touch experience and games that are shipping alongside the controllers. I would fully expect them go into great detail on what to expect with the Touch controllers and the best practices for camera setup.

Same. They also have to react to the reality of what vive is offering. With oculus touch bundled they'd be close in price to vive and without room scale they'd be seen as inferior (even if their headset is better). They don't need to be talking to devs about specifics yet - if they support room scale then any game using steamVR should be straightforward to bring across - valve have even said they'd support oculus touch in steam VR for motion controls and chaperone mode etc.

I'd take an avatar bet that oculus touch will support room scale when it launches

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That's still going with the idea that Rift+Touch will offer a room-scale experience equal to the Vive.

It's possible, but hardly a certainty, and everything Oculus have officially stated so far says nothing of the sort. There are real technical challenges with offering wall-to-wall, floor-to-ceiling VR with cameras, and while you can assume that they will be overcome it's still just an assumption.

It's 100 degrees horizontal and 70 vertical. A Lighthouse box covers 120 by 120 degrees.

I don't fully understand why lighthouse needs 120 degrees vertically when they recommend you position it facing down by 30-45 degrees. I guess just a factor of the horizontal fov being the same?

I don't see a problem with the oculus camera. 100 degree horizontal is plenty for the corner of a room. And 70 degree vertical should be enough to place high up pointing down to get a similar volume of coverage.

it won't be easy (which is partly why they delayed IMO), and whatever they come up with is likely to be more cumbersome (I don't like the idea of needing to run long cables from my PC across the room), but I fully believe they'll do anything needed to match or closely match vive's room tracking. They could even change the cameras if necessary.

artsi

At least tracking speed on the Rift seems to not be an issue, contrary to some previous theories.

http://doc-ok.org/?p=1405

I also don't believe that Oculus Touch will ship without any method available to do room scale, it's a too big feature to ignore.

Krejlooc

Banned
Re: Roomscale tracking with Oculus Touch.

People have already used ray traced tracking volume visualizations to map the extent of multiple-camera room-scale tracking solutions possible with all 3 major VR headsets. The consensus is that Oculus Touch, with 2 positional tracking cameras, ignoring occlusion issues, can match the Vive's lighthouse tracking up to a volume of 12' x 12'. Beyond that, at 15' x 15', opposing corners get lost in tracking volumes. This is the single best picture I've seen that maps all tracking volume configurations:

MBjQ0FK.jpg

Anything colored is trackable space. Anything black is lost.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat

People have already used ray traced tracking volume visualizations to map the extent of multiple-camera room-scale tracking solutions possible with all 3 major VR headsets. The consensus is that Oculus Touch, with 2 positional tracking cameras, ignoring occlusion issues, can match the Vive's lighthouse tracking up to a volume of 12' x 12'. Beyond that, at 15' x 15', opposing corners get lost in tracking volumes. This is the single best picture I've seen that maps all tracking volume configurations:

MBjQ0FK.jpg

Yeah I'm not really sure why everyone thinks the Rift won't support room scale. There are youtube videos of it working with 2 cameras and Palmer has stated that it works. Maybe people are just unaware.

Krejlooc

Banned
Yeah I'm not really sure why everyone thinks the Rift won't support room scale. There are youtube videos of it working with 2 cameras and Palmer has stated that it works. Maybe people are just unaware.

There is hyperbole with both sides of the argument - of course you can do relatively occlusion-free room scale tracking with multiple camera points. Nobody should be disputing that.

But the people saying the rift with 2 tracking cameras will track a volume as well as light house are objectively incorrect, especially the larger the tracking area is. Around 15' x 15' is when the extents become noticeable enough to affect actual games. It's worth noting that 15' x 15' is not the limit of the Lighthouse tracking system, and the larger the volume the more obvious the limitations of the rift tracking system become. Something like The Void could not be realistically done with the rift, it would need a lighthouse style method of tracking.

Nzyme32

There is hyperbole with both sides of the argument - of course you can do relatively occlusion-free room scale tracking with multiple camera points. Nobody should be disputing that.

But the people saying the rift with 2 tracking cameras will track a volume as well as light house are objectively incorrect, especially the larger the tracking area is. Around 15' x 15' is when the extents become noticeable enough to affect actual games. It's worth noting that 15' x 15' is not the limit of the Lighthouse tracking system, and the larger the volume the more obvious the limitations of the rift tracking system become. Something like The Void could not be realistically done with the rift, it would need a lighthouse style method of tracking.

Isn't the issue not to do with cameras but to do with Touch's design itself, or so Alan Yates mentions?

Krejlooc

Banned
Isn't the issue not to do with cameras but to do with Touch's design itself, or so Alan Yates mentions?

No, the issue is also with the cameras themselves, as illustrated above. Past a certain point, resolvable resolution becomes too low to correctly identify the minimum of 3 rigid points necessary to detect position and orientation. They will become indistinguishable blobs of light.

JMZ555

Imagine your playing random game and you know your alone in house but the chaperone system starts picking up and showing people ...like in corners ...standing ...just slowly breathing...

Durante

MBjQ0FK.jpg

That's great. I assume the bright coloration is full 2-device (so, occlusion-resistant) tracking while darker colors are not?

Krejlooc

Banned
That's great. I assume the bright coloration is full 2-device (so, occlusion-resistant) tracking while darker colors are not?

correct. This particular visualization was made by Wormslayer, btw, the artist for HL2VR. He has an animated version as well that I can't find at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom