• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the excitement for VR the technology or the software available?

0racle

Im torn.

Like most of you im a sucker for anything new in the gaming industry so obviously I am excited for what is to come with VR. I normally jump on the bandwagon day one and planned to buy a PSVR day one, in fact I already purchased the camera/move in prep.

Now, I dont know if its my age and situation ( 30 with 2 small kids ) but I seem to be thinking more logically now, than I did a few years ago. Money is not a constraint and I have ample time to play games when the kids are sleeping/daycare what have you so that is not an issue with my thought process. But what im realizing is that im more excited for VR because its VR.

Nothing that is comming out looks....good? good in the sense that those titles are a must have. Would I buy those if they where standard titles in non VR? no. I think our jaws will drop but what happens when the initial wow factor is gone? we are left with titles that arnt that engaging one way or another. Maybe I need to really get some good hands on time with it but I cant seem to jump in 100% as of yet. E3 will have to shine big time.

Krejlooc

Banned
Both

There are a bunch of experiences that I can't wait to dive into, like The Lab, Eve Valkyrie, ADR1FT, Edge of Nowhere, The Climb, Hover Junkers, Budget Cuts, etc.

But the hardware itself is also incredible.

I think our jaws will drop but what happens when the initial wow factor is gone? we are left with titles that arnt that engaging one way or another.

I have put hundreds of hours into Elite Dangerous and Project Cars in VR.

emb

Definitely the tech for me.

I assume that the software will get there. But for now I just want the new type of experience, even if there's still a long way to go for the applications. But the tech of course doesn't really do much without some sort of software.

It's a lot like buying a new console for me. Except those are less and less new feeling these days.

The specific software doesn't matter because everything will feel amazing in VR in general. Realistic locations, even mundane ones. Or outlandish cartoon worlds. Doesn't really matter, everything will feel special in VR (at least the first time).

ps3ud0

Initially the tech, but then its the games that make it an actual purchasable decision. I do have concerns on both how quickly the hardware will be replaced and experiences take a back seat to full fledged games.

Its nice to be excited about something that really isnt just say a new generation of consoles.

ps3ud0 8)

Thewonandonly

Both for me.

I'm super excited for some of the games coming on VR. Rigs looks super good and fun. Servers are going to be wild the first couple of days with that game. Then I have eve which looks incredible. I have never played a space sim before but my god in VR it sounds incredible. For racing kicks track mania is going to be VR and is basically going to teleport me into speedracer. That game will be incredibly fun on VR. Also you have ARK which is going to get VR support. Their are many games that are coming to VR so I'm not worried. indies will be huge for it at the beginning.

But then their is the teck. If I want to watch a sport event like the Olympics I can watch as a audience member. Then I have the theater mode which means I can play games on a IMAX screen. I don't really care about graphics so if this is as awsome as it sounds then I will be spending a lot of time in VR playing normal games. That way I am just playing the game or watching the movie with no distractions
neogaf ;)

I think the tech looks interesting even if I have my issues with it and won't be getting one anytime soon. But there are basically no games I think look fun out side of the initial "its like I'm there".

So I would say the tech is FAR more interesting than the software. I'm more interested in what will happen with it out side of games.

Alexm92

I'm on the fence when it comes to VR. I really like the look of the Rift but I'm yet to see any software I want. I want to see big story driven AAA blockbusters but I'm yet to see one. If anyone knows of any let me know.

Really like the idea of the virtual cinema screen. I think I'd use that a lot if it was good.

Glix

For me its the tech. I'm super excited for some of the experiences that I have seen, but none of them make me say I NEED VR JUST FOR THAT.

Except for maybe virtual Jerrys apartment.

Griss

It's entirely based on the tech for me. I wouldn't give a fuck if there were no proper games for 5 years. I never saw it as exclusively a games-based technology.

Varies between each person depending on their sexual success

Haha, this too.

What are you going to do with VR hardware with no software? Use it as a sunshade?

Fuck around with Unity / Unreal, experience tech demos etc. Just exist in another space.

You seem to focus on gaming content alone.

I buy a VR headset not just because of gaming, but because of VR/360 videos, where I can feel "I am now in Tibet while watching a documentary", "I am walking around the Louvre" or even "being" on the ISS watching the earth.

Krejlooc

Banned
Fuck around with Unity / Unreal, experience tech demos etc. Just exist in another space.

One of the uses for VR I'm most excited about? UE4 VR. People are overlooking this stuff. Forget minecraft, forget lego, forget toybox apps; VR turns UE4 into a god simulator. You become omnipotent. Create anything you want any way you want, then immediately go inside and begin playing in your virtual holodeck. Nothing else comes close:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z74B54d4AIo

To me it's the "new" experience and therefore the tech, definitely not the vr only games that are announced. But that's actually more than enough to justify it in my eyes. Finally being inside the game and not longer on the outside looking in, into a stamp sized 2d rectangle, the tv in your livingroom.
I have to assume that most people that have read about VR are looking forward to that in the first place.
I'm not sure there will be a loss of impact, at least not to the degree of turning down the feeling of being there and returning to the old window.

Stoze

It's definitely the tech, but that doesn't mean a bunch of the demos and software shown for it don't look good.

The tech. ADR1FT and Edge of Nowhere are the only games that I may have bought if they were non-VR. Everything else is butt-cheese that I would only buy to justify my purchase of an expensive VR HMD.

I'm more excited about the possibilities at this moment, only VR title that's really impressed me is Adrift, so I'll definitely be waiting at least a year after these devices release before considering whether to get one.

Mexen

I, admittedly, have not followed VR religiously to be excited about the titles on offer. However, I am very interested in seeing what can be accomplished with the technology. I don't even know if the promotional videos do the technology any justice because I feel it's something I would have to experience for myself to fully get. I just hope I do get VR feels because right now it all seems like an "up close and personal" screen. Of course, there are rich experiences out there and people can testify but all I am saying is that the tech has my interest piqued for the moment with very few titles blowing my socks off in a I-wanna-try-that! kinda way.

I'm excited for VR in general but there are definitely games that I'm very excited for.

I'm getting both OR and (hopefully) PSVR day 1 and there's probably 5 titles or so that I want for each out of what's announced now.

Guevara

Usually the software lags the hardware. I don't expect anything really exciting in the first year, maybe longer.

viveks86

Mostly the technology

And the talos principle

And project cars

And budget cuts

And the witness

And star citizen (in my dreams)

And dreams (the MM game)

And driveclub

And everest

And <insert unannounced horror title here>

But mostly the technology

Kanhir

The tech for me. I'm looking forward to something as simple as sitting in Oculus Cinema/whatever other media player, watching my 1080p movies on a huge screen.

Bit of a catch 22 this question have I played racing games or space sims or mech games before? Well of course I have but better A.I. or immersion or graphics have always kept me coming back and that's all V.R. is the next step in immersion.

Mediking

For games like Dead or Alive and other cool JRPGS to take advantage of VR... that's where my excitement comes from.

Top Bottom