• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOCKING: 'Free' Fallout 4 season passes have been revoked

theRizzle

I mean, I fully expected this and so should have anyone who managed to check it out of the store... but anyone who thinks this is "stealing" needs a serious dose of reality. If I walk into Walmart and there's a stack of Pepsi at the door with a "Free" sign on it by employee accident and I grab one and walk out, I didn't steal anything.

E-flux

What right would you have to be pissed? You invested a couple of seconds clicking a button. For that you deserve $60 of free content?

You were there at the right time and moment, the error is on their end, they gave you the season pass for free. They shouldn't take it away once they have sold it to you, at least no one does that in the real world at shops when something like this happens.

LewieP

It's a minor irritation/disappointment, but not really anything to get upset about.

I actually thought we'd get to keep it once the transaction had completed, but I guess not.

Taking advantage of retailer's mistake is not stealing. You can be damn sure that Sony would keep money you erroneously spent on their store (and would be within their rights to do so).

That is how free markets work.

For myself, I grabbed the free season pass thinking I'd pick up the game at a later date. I'm somewhat interested, but played too many open world games recently, so it can wait. Now I'll probably just wait for the game to go on sale.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
It was a mistake and Sony has every right to remove that content from your library.

You were there at the right time and moment, the error is on their end, they gave you the season pass for free. They shouldn't take it away once they have sold it to you, at least no one does that in the real world at shops when something like this happens.
5MD0Iu4.gif

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
lol. It'd certainly be a keeper!

I can imagine it going down like this for some people:

-"Can't wait for my free muthafuckin Fallout 4 DLC! What luck! LOL Suckers!"

-"Wait... I got a message?" *Message from Playstation*

-*clicks to open*

-
PNj3vME.gif

-
FX7OyfQ.gif

Amazing.

I wish this would have happened now.

Alucrid

Banned
i feel bad for the half of the people in that thread that never were going to buy it and the other half that didn't even have fallout 4

Meh cant be mad didn't pay for it. Certainly doesn't make me a theif tho. Was worth a shot anyway(bethseda can fuck off with that price increase tho)

TheJoRu

Paradoxally this is resulting in a net loss for them in terms of money from me, since I don't have the game but planned on getting it after using the glitch, but of course this is a good move. It felt really exciting seeing that "Free"-text and successfully downloading it at the time, but in hindsight it does feel better now knowing I didn't get any content dishonestly.

That's actually pretty surprising. I remember when the Mass Effect 3 Omega DLC was free. They never revoked that.

I guess cause Fallout 4 is a newer game and Sony wants to make sure Betathesda is happy.

Tingle

That's actually pretty surprising. I remember when the Mass Effect 3 Omega DLC was free. They never revoked that.

I guess cause Fallout 4 is a newer game and Sony wants to make sure Betathesda is happy.

Its possible its up to the developer to decide- it may have been Bethesda or it may have been Sony who made the decision. I don't think we really know. My gut says it has to be Bethesda, because in these situations they almost always honor it, at least as far as I've seen. Bethesda seems to be the factor that changed.

Bethesda must have called Sony and said,

giphy.gif

After raising the price they don't want anything given for free, even if it was an error.

Nere

I remember when mass effect 2 preorder weapons went up for everyone on xbox live microsoft let us keep them, sony is so evil.

Tingle

That raises an interesting question. If devs can do this with pricing errors, why do others not?

They probably have to decide if its worth the bad PR or not, how much the content costs and how many people jumped on the deal.

I can't imagine too many people got in, though. It was up for a very short time.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, they have. All i'm saying that even if they can do that they probably shouldn't.

But why wouldn't they do that in this case? we are talking about a $49.99 value of a DLC that hasn't even been released yet. What can Sony gain by letting thousands of people get the season pass for free?

Li1quid

Neo Member
But why wouldn't they do that in this case? we are talking about a $49.99 value of a DLC that hasn't even been released yet. What can Sony gain by letting thousands of people get the season pass for free?

I wanted to buy the game now that I had the season pass. Now I'm just going to wait till the GOTY drops to €20.

Havn't bought any DLC since COD4. I actually think that DLC replacing expansions is the worst thing that happend to gaming.

Axass

I love how when you buy something and you change your mind "every sale is final", but when they make a mistake, the sale isn't final anymore.

I love how when you buy something and you change your mind "every sale is final", but when they make a mistake, the sale isn't final anymore.

We need a contract lawyer to weigh in. But I feel like there must be something in place to protect both the customer and the seller.

Anybody who expected to be able to keep this is delusional, it was obviously an error. The DLC costs as much as the game does now, why would they give it away?

Reminds me of customers who come into work and expect a full priced game to be 99c because some other customer decided they didn't want it and dumped it on a cheap dvd rack. THAT kind of delusional.

sensui-tomo

If I walk into Walmart and there's a stack of Pepsi at the door with a "Free" sign on it by employee accident and I grab one and walk out, I didn't steal anything.

You stole it because you never went through checkout with it, you just cant take items and walk out of the store... But this is a stupid case there, if you said "It was labeled free and the cashier checked it out as free (like psn with the season pass) it wouldnt be stolen" Just grabbing shit without checking out is technically a non-purchased item.

E-flux

Just out of courtesy, and i don't think that the price is all that relevant when something like this happens since prices change constantly, even the season pass 30$ a little while ago.

Tingle

Just out of courtesy, and i don't think that the price is all that relevant when something like this happens since prices change constantly, even the season pass 30$ a little while ago.

It is going to be relevant to the developer. They will view any of the people not buying the pass as a potential loss of up to 50 dollars. They have to weigh if its worth the bad PR and revoking the content, or just letting people keep it.

They didn't sell anything though. Since you paid no money, no transaction took place, and you've no right to the content. If it were a pricing error, then sure, money changed hands and it's yours.

Likewise, if someone accidentally labeled a game on a shelf as zero dollars and you go to the register, and try to have it for free, they aren't going to allow that "in the real world."

Kazooie

Banned
They wouldn't gain anything. However how is that my problem?

Sony priced the DLC as free. I bought it at that price.

If I walk in to a Sainsbury's and buy a loaf of bread for 10p, the cashier can't then chase me in to the car park and say "actually, you're not having that as we have mispriced the item".

Aalvi

They can fix this bug but they can't fix Preston Garvey despite.

I see how it is.

For the record I didn't use this, don't even care about DLC.

E-flux

It is going to be relevant to the developer. They will view any of the people not buying the pass as a potential loss of up to 50 dollars. They have to weigh if its worth the bad PR and revoking the content, or just letting people keep it.

Yeah, but in all honesty i don't think that Bethesda is in such a bad place that they can't get an error like this slide by, and the bad PR they get just might in the worst case scenario completely blow up on their face, which would be far worse than a few happy people who got a season pass for free. And personally, if i would have gotten the season pass and then they would have revoked my licence for it i would have been pretty salty and probably not bought the season pass for real this time.

They didn't sell anything though. Since you paid no money, no transaction took place, and you've no right to the content. If it were a pricing error, then sure, money changed hands and it's yours.

Likewise, if someone accidentally labeled a game on a shelf as zero dollars and you go to the register, and try to have it for free, they aren't going to allow that "in the real world."

But you do have to checkout from the psn store so a transaction was there even if no money changed hands. Well i didn't mean it to be taken that literally, but with when they fuck up their discounts here i have never been asked to wait while they update the price, but anyway nobody else has done this when they have fucked up the price in the psn store so i don't think that it's the best choice for Bethesda be the first one to start revoking those.

Tingle

Yeah, but in all honesty i don't think that Bethesda is in such a bad place that they can't get an error like this slide by, and the bad PR they get just might in the worst case scenario completely blow up on their face, which would be far worse than a few happy people who got a season pass for free. And personally, if i would have gotten the season pass and then they would have revoked my licence for it i would have been pretty salty and probably not bought the season pass for real this time.

I agree with you, and think they made the wrong decision. I doubt a substantial people got in on the deal who were actually potential buyers, especially since they just raised the price by 20 dollars a few weeks ago.

Top Bottom