• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOCKING: 'Free' Fallout 4 season passes have been revoked

people who try to take advantage of pricing errors and then complain about it are the worst. it happens in retail all the time. i remember when i was working one lady tried to get something that cost $200 for twenty bucks because the website left off a 0.

And sometimes they slip through, Sony did let this slip through at £0 I bet if they website had let that one go and accepted the sale, they wouldn't then say, sorry you have to return it to us.

Kaz42

And sometimes they slip through, Sony did let this slip through at £0 I bet if they website had let that one go and accepted the sale, they wouldn't then say, sorry you have to return it to us.

I'm having trouble following what you're saying. Are you talking about Sony's own web store? Or a third party seller like Amazon. You're probably right that if this was on an individual level sony wouldn't have negated the license. But Sony also shouldn't have to lose money if a large number of people got in on a pricing error if they have the ability to revoke the license to the content and the customers who "purchased" the license aren't out anything since it was free.

I'm having trouble following what you're saying. Are you talking about Sony's own web store? Or a third party seller like Amazon. You're probably right that if this was on an individual level sony wouldn't have negated the license. But Sony also shouldn't have to lose money if a large number of people got in on a pricing error if they have the ability to revoke the license to the content and the customers who "purchased" the license aren't out anything since it was free.

I agree, but it's certainly not good customer practice to take something they had previously 'sold' to the customer. The worst thing if you ask me is that there has been zero communication from Sony regarding this and WHY they chose what they did. As mentioned before I'm honestly not too bothered, I don't have the game but did consider getting it after having 'bought' this pass. Now I will just wait it out I guess if I ever bother to getting around to it.

you've already said something like this. How would they be able to get it back in the first place? Like how would the company go about proving that the pesron even still has it?

Zafir

Good job I didn't buy the PS4 version cos I got it then, lol.

First time I've actually seen them revoke something like that, guess I should have expected that from Bethesda though.

Doc_Drop

I agree, but it's certainly not good customer practice to take something they had previously 'sold' to the customer. The worst thing if you ask me is that there has been zero communication from Sony regarding this and WHY they chose what they did. As mentioned before I'm honestly not too bothered, I don't have the game but did consider getting it after having 'bought' this pass. Now I will just wait it out I guess if I ever bother to getting around to it.

Is any communication needed? It's pretty obvious season passes aren't free and their T&Cs clearly state they can revoke licenses due to pricing errors. Like, yeh Sony are gonna take a $400,000 (based on only 10,000 free sales - which I think is probably conservative) hit when they have no need to, it's basic business sense. Never mind the probable backlash from existing customers who paid for their season pass

Good job I didn't buy the PS4 version cos I got it then, lol.

First time I've actually seen them revoke something like that, guess I should have expected that from Sony though.

Fixed that for you, unless you have any proof of whose decision this was?

Occam

Among certain other prerequisites a valid sales contract requires that something is exchanged (usually currency for wares).
That means you cannot sell anything for $0. Yes, you can give things away or make donations, but that's not what happened here. In this specific case, we have a void sales contract. It's not legally binding.
Case closed.

NB, those who "purcased" the item for $0 did not commit theft.

bobawesome

So many sad cheapskates in here, lol.

Pretty much how I'm looking at it. Just because errors have slipped through the cracks before doesn't mean you're entitled to something. Would I have liked a free season pass myself? Heck yeah. But I'm not going to whine about it if they take notice and revoke access as I haven't spent a dime.

Is any communication needed? It's pretty obvious season passes aren't free and their T&Cs clearly state they can revoke licenses due to pricing errors. Like, yeh Sony are gonna take a $400,000 (based on only 10,000 free sales - which I think is probably conservative) hit when they have no need to, it's basic business sense. Never mind the probable backlash from existing customers who paid for their season pass

I think common business courtesy would be to give some kind of communication. Be it via their blog/twitter etc. They clearly know the IDs of those involved, so why not send an email or push an alert to their machine?

You need them to spell it out for you? Show me an example of a free season pass for a big budget AAA game or heck ANY game, and I could see how you might have been confused

Mark my words, there is not a single person in the entire world who saw that 0.00 price tag and actually thought "oh nice Bethesda is doing us a solid!" They all knew it was a pricing glitch and wanted to take advantage.

You'll get no sympathy from me, pay for your stuff like the rest of us do, if you don't like the price then wait for a sale or move onto to something else. You obviously bought the base game so you must have interest in the content besides it being free

I think common business courtesy would be to give some kind of communication. Be it via their blog/twitter etc. They clearly know the IDs of those involved, so why not send an email or push an alert to their machine?

their terms of services says" Errors in listed prices, product descriptions, and associated terms and conditions may occur. If we discover an error in the price of items you have ordered, we will contact you. You will have the option of either reconfirming your order at the correct price or canceling it. If we are unable to contact you, your order will be cancelled." so it does sound like they do occasionally make an effort to contact people. Why does it really matter if they weren't contacted though? Either way the person is going to have the item cancelled

You need them to spell it out for you? Show me an example of a free season pass for a big budget AAA game or heck ANY game, and I could see how you might have been confused

Mark my words, there is not a single person in the entire world who saw that 0.00 price tag and actually thought "oh nice Bethesda is doing us a solid!" They all knew it was a pricing glitch and wanted to take advantage.

You'll get no sympathy from me, pay for your stuff like the rest of us do, if you don't like the price then wait for a sale or move onto to something else. You obviously bought the base game so you must have interest in the content besides it being free

I'm not saying I feel hard done by though, I'm clearly saying that Sony should at least acknowledge it and their actions. I don't think anyone could rightly complain with their actions, but to not bother acknowledging the issue is a little poor imo. Nope I don't own the base game at all, hence not caring that they have taken it back. I've more than enough games in my library to be playing so it's of no loss to me. I just feel as a company they should at least say something regarding their mistake and resulting steps taken.

their terms of services says" Errors in listed prices, product descriptions, and associated terms and conditions may occur. If we discover an error in the price of items you have ordered, we will contact you. You will have the option of either reconfirming your order at the correct price or canceling it. If we are unable to contact you, your order will be cancelled." so it does sound like they do occasionally make an effort to contact people. Why does it really matter if they weren't contacted though? Either way the person is going to have the item cancelled

So there you go, they most certainly CAN contact those involved so why haven't they?

Zafir

Fixed that for you, unless you have any proof of whose decision this was?

When it's been Sony first party stuff with extreme mis-prices, they haven't revoked or refunded.

I got Killzone for 70p for example not that long after it's release.

Due to that, I'm more inclined to believe Bethesda was probably the party who wanted the products being revoked and asked Sony to do it. The fact that they decided to up the price of the season pass tells me they really want more money.

Doc_Drop

When it's been Sony first party stuff with extreme mis-prices, they haven't revoked or refunded.

Due to that, I'm more inclined to believe Bethesda was probably the party who wanted the products being revoked and asked Sony to do it. The fact that they decided to up the price of the season pass tells me they really want more money.

No, Sony revoked the license because they would have owed 70% (or whatever %, I think I saw this earlier) of $40 per season pass pre-order to Bethesda regardless of whether they fucked up re pricing. How would Bethesda then reconcile the fact they allowed a shit tonne of customers to get free season passes on only one console with the customers on PC and XB1 who paid the correct price? Give them all refunds? Why not just make everything free at that point?

This is on Sony, sorry

Zafir

No, Sony revoked the license because they would have owed 70% (or whatever %, I think I saw this earlier) of $40 per season pass pre-order to Bethesda regardless of whether they fucked up re pricing. How would Bethesda then reconcile the fact they allowed a shit tonne of customers to get free season passes on only one console with the customers on PC and XB1 who paid the correct price? Give them all refunds? Why not just make everything free at that point?

This is on Sony, sorry

Sure, what ever, does it really matter lol?

Zafir

Not really, you were just another person seemingly blaming Bethesda and giving Sony a free pass

I don't have any investment either way. I don't know why you care so much though.

I have more knowledge of the Steam store, and in that case, it's on the publishers themselves if they get the price wrong.

If that's not the case on the PSN, then whatever, no skin of my back.

Dahaka

I "bought" the Season Pass for 0 pounds with zero expectations. Sure I had a lucky moment like the legendary Dying Light season pass + full game through Gamestop but that didn't change my stance.

The entitlement and whining here and in german HUKD is fucking embarassing. This whole "Preisfehler" exploitation culture is digusting. No need to get upset like little spoilt children.

Doc_Drop

I don't have any investment either way. I don't know why you care so much though.

I have more knowledge of the Steam store, and in that case, it's on the publishers themselves if they get the price wrong.

If that's not the case on the PSN, then whatever, no skin of my back.

I just don't see why developers should be misrepresented in flippant comments. I wont lie, I am a fan of Bethesda's work and have bias and the dogpiling they get seems disproportionate in this case (not that that they haven't earned a reputation previously)

I'm not saying I feel hard done by though, I'm clearly saying that Sony should at least acknowledge it and their actions. I don't think anyone could rightly complain with their actions, but to not bother acknowledging the issue is a little poor imo. Nope I don't own the base game at all, hence not caring that they have taken it back. I've more than enough games in my library to be playing so it's of no loss to me. I just feel as a company they should at least say something regarding their mistake and resulting steps taken.

So there you go, they most certainly CAN contact those involved so why haven't they?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...n-pass-currently-free-on-uk-playstation-store

If you paid attention then you'd notice they did acknowledge it and have said it was due to a pricing error.

I just don't see why developers should be misrepresented in flippant comments. I wont lie, I am a fan of Bethesda's work and have bias and the dogpiling they get seems disproportionate in this case (not that that they haven't earned a reputation previously)

Again this is something an announcement from Sony would solve, if they were to clear up their reasoning for the removal, people would know where the decision was made. Honestly I'd be surprised if anyone is truly angry about having it taken back (those that maybe bought the game after having gotten it might be annoyed) but I think the silence and just removing it is what is frustrating.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...n-pass-currently-free-on-uk-playstation-store

If you paid attention then you'd notice they did acknowledge it and have said it was due to a pricing error.

And those that don't read Eurogamer, and maybe look to their own Blog/Twitter/Facebook or even personal email accounts?

Memnoch

Pretty much how I'm looking at it. Just because errors have slipped through the cracks before doesn't mean you're entitled to something. Would I have liked a free season pass myself? Heck yeah. But I'm not going to whine about it if they take notice and revoke access as I haven't spent a dime.
My sentiments exactly. I paid 40 CAD for the pass last year.

Doc_Drop

Again this is something an announcement from Sony would solve, if they were to clear up their reasoning for the removal, people would know where the decision was made. Honestly I'd be surprised if anyone is truly angry about having it taken back (those that maybe bought the game after having gotten it might be annoyed) but I think the silence and just removing it is what is frustrating.

That is fair, I honestly assumed an email would have been sent out regarding the revoking and pricing error

I don't know. they also implied that they might not be able to contact people all the time. Maybe they have technical difficulties, , maybe they are in the process of writing something, , maybe they have contacted people in emails already and nobody noticed, maybe they are just busy with something else , or maybe they just blatantly don't care and can handle the fact they might lose some support from people offended about a lack of freebies. Either way I can't really get riled up about it

Tigress

Or alternatively since it is first party Sony loses a lot less and decided to just eat the loss (which is mostly loss of potential sales) where as with a third party they still need to pay Bethesda for those passes and that is a lot more money out of their pocket so it wasn't worth the customer goodwill it might get not to revoke them. The only thing Bethesda did "wrong" here was not not charge Sony for those passes (and why would they, it was not their mistake).

I mean think about it, why should Bethesda eat the loss when it was not their mistake? I know in my store if we break an item we don't expect the manufacturer to eat the cost we do. If we price something wrong and decide to honor it, we are eating the cost, not the manufacturer. If something gets stolen from our store we are the one who eats the cost. Hell most returns we take that are unsalable we eat the cost. Key point here is that once the item is out of the manufacturer's hands, it is our problem. They did their part of the job which is provide us with a product. What we do with it after that is our responsibility. So why the hell is Bethesda supposed to suddenly eat the cost for Sony's mistake?

blackjaw

Why are people so salty, you didn't lose anything. Didn't gain anything, didn't lose anything.

If you are sad because of the megabytes lost or personal time in downloading, it was a risk that didn't pay off, but you still aren't out financially.

zM1o2uY.png

Liamario

Banned
Why are people so salty, you didn't lose anything. Didn't gain anything, didn't lose anything.

If you are sad because of the megabytes lost or personal time in downloading, it was a risk that didn't pay off, but you still aren't out financially.

Reasonable people aren't salty for losing the season pass. But let's be fair if the shoe was on the other foot, there'd be no refund.

Real world example- I made an "unfortunate error" which led to my 2 year old son buying BLOPS2 DLC. I don't own the game and never had. DLC was never used. Nonetheless, Sony refused to refund me.

Top Bottom