• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV: Platinum Demo Thread

m4st4

I love the world, the soundtrack and, based on the trailers, story premise... but is combat supposed to be clunky and unresponsive? Cause that's the aspect that will make or break this game.

I walked in expecting DMC or Bayo... came out embarrassed by my skills, or by game controls, still not sure.

I love the world, the soundtrack and, based on the trailers, story premise... but is combat supposed to be clunky and unresponsive? Cause that's the aspect that will make or break this game.

I walked in expecting DMC or Bayo... came out embarrassed by my skills, or by game controls, still not sure.

It's not an action game. The combat is what it is.

Squire

Banned
Duscae players know the combat is already significantly beyond what's in this demo. Not that Duscae combat was perfect, but you can already see how it's far beyond this "hold O for simple sword strikes" combat. I have no doubt the full game will layer in many additional attacks and we'll have our plate full of combat possibilities at any given moment.

This demo isn't doing SE any favours explaining that, though. You know there are hundreds of people who are going to play this and come away thinking "it's like Kingdom Hearts, but more boring and with even simpler hold button to autobattle"

People are watching the trailers and thinking it plays like KH full-stop. I broke the the news to like three people just last week.

Anecdotal as it is, that was the first time I considered they may have a perception problem.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yes, that's how it works.
lol no. What's going on here is that the framerate drops are more or less the same for everyone but not everyone notices them and/or is as bothered by them. That's okay. I'm a Souls console player, I'm used to unstable framerates. But it's factually inaccurate to say the framerate was stable.

FFXV has secure soundtrack of the year already. No contest.
Ridiculous. I thought it was boring anyway. Nothing stood out.

Have you played it?

Duscae was great. Garbage? Go back to your hyperbolic time chamber.
Honestly, I have played it and I agree it was garbage in every single way. The only thing I enjoyed was Carbuncle's cuteness.

Duscae players know the combat is already significantly beyond what's in this demo. Not that Duscae combat was perfect, but you can already see how it's far beyond this "hold O for simple sword strikes" combat. I have no doubt the full game will layer in many additional attacks and we'll have our plate full of combat possibilities at any given moment.

This demo isn't doing SE any favours explaining that, though. You know there are hundreds of people who are going to play this and come away thinking "it's like Kingdom Hearts, but more boring and with even simpler hold button to autobattle"

im really hoping you are right about this being an early/stripped down version of the fighting mechanics.

why would they revert to this when Duscae had it more dialed in? perhaps this is a very old internal tech demo?

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
The bs will not be received well when the game launcheS. Should ve been full action from the start if they wanted to be a hit like witcher or skyrim. Bah

Dark_castle

My problem with the game isn't about the amount of options in combat. It's the basic attacks are made by holding that breaks the whole game for me. It wasn't fun holding to attack, and it will never be.

Edzi

Eh? You don't have to hold the button, you can just time your presses like normal.

It said hold to do an attack string, right? Duscae was the same way, you can technically mash the button, but I don't think it makes a difference. You're not really stringing together separate attacks, the game is just going through a preset combo that you trigger with one button. Duscae at least had combo enders that you could trigger by timing different button presses, but I didn't see anything like that in this demo since the weapons are assigned to the dpad now.

m4st4

It's not an action game. The combat is what it is.

But... that sounds like it won't sell me on the full game? 'The combat is what it is'... not fun to play?

I don't know how Duscae plays but in that boss fight I was unable to coordinate zip-jumps, properly dodge attachs, or feel like I'm in any kind of control. And I'm the player.

This demo is more of a "playable teaser". It's not supposed to show you the full gameplay, but more make you curious about the world and setting.

I think the environmental things like warp points and fuel cans in the Iron Giant fight are very promising. But people who expect an action game will probably be disappointed.
But... that sounds like it won't sell me on the full game? 'The combat is what it is'... not fun to play?

I don't know how Duscae plays but in that boss fight I was unable to coordinate zip-jumps, properly dodge attachs, or feel like I'm in any kind of control. And I'm the player.

Yeah I wasn't trying to sell you on it. More set right expectations. It will NEVER be a game like DMC or Bayonetta. It's supposed to be more accessible and the difficulty will probably come from MP/stamina management and environmental attacks. It's not going to be control/execution heavy.

I don't even think many people who play it grasp that it's not an action game :p let alone mere viewers.

It's not even an action RPG really, aside from the 3D positioning in the world.

Holding O button is auto-attack. It's the equivalent of holding down O on an old-school RPG and choosing "fight" on a menu over and over again. It's the "fight" menu option mapped to a button command. It's not a direct attack move as seen in a traditional action game like Devil May Cry, or something. Even Kingdom Hearts is more of a direct action game with RPG statistics.

This is a good way to see it

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
People are watching the trailers and thinking it plays like KH full-stop. I broke the the news to like three people just last week.

Anecdotal as it is, that was the first time I considered they may have a perception problem.

I don't even think many people who play it grasp that it's not an action game :p let alone mere viewers.

Holding O button is auto-attack. It's the equivalent of holding down O on an old-school RPG and choosing "fight" on a menu over and over again. It's the "fight" menu option mapped to a button command. It's not a direct attack move as seen in a traditional action game like Devil May Cry, or something. Even Kingdom Hearts is more of a direct action game with RPG statistics.

EndMerit

Demo left me feeling conflicted. I love the game's setting of fantasy world in modern times. Mixing magic, castles, knights, monsters and airships with cars and smartphones is pretty sweet, and when Carbuncle first talked to you through your smartphone... I marked out a little.

World looks great, Noct not so much. Whatever tech they are using to render characters' hair, it looks pretty garbage, especially during cutscenes.

Movement, camera controls, combat... I kind of didn't like the feel of any of them. Especially the boss just managed to confuse me even more about what you can and can't block and dodge.
I guess it's kind of like poor man's Kingdom Hearts. Ironically.

But oh man that title screen. Up there with Xenoblade Chronicles, maybe even better.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
My problem with the game isn't about the amount of options in combat. It's the basic attacks are made by holding that breaks the whole game for me. It wasn't fun holding to attack, and it will never be.

I do agree to a certain extent but I must say to their defense that MMORPGs don't even require to click any button to attack anything and most MOBAs are the same or like in SMITE/PARAGON u hold like in FFXV a button and everything goes automatic.. The problem here it's that the enemies and the world are from an FULL action game like DMC while ur characters are strict to different rulez. It's simply bad.

I dont know what everyone else was playing.

As someone who has never liked FF, it felt servicable.

You just have to work with the combat system.

as a kid, equip sword, circle circle, switch to hammer, circle is your basic combo.

As an adult, lead in with the teleport, circle circle, dodge, teleport, circle is your best combo.

Ive watched a few videos of people playing and it looks more like people just dont know how to play action orientated games, than the combat system being overly bad. There is no reason people should be getting hit so much unless they are ignoring obvious tells and just hammering away on the buttons.

I never held the buttons, i just tapped quickly.

As for graphics, meh. They were nice enough.

Squire

Banned
The bs will not be received well when the game launcheS. Should ve been full action from the start if they wanted to be a hit like witcher or skyrim. Bah

I really could see there being a pretty big backlash. As it stands, it's less involved than FFXIII.

There's probably more to it, but they're asking people to take a lot on faith. The next time I see this thing, I want to see mid-game stuff. Like, fighting from 20 hours in/halfway through the game when you actually (presumably) have a bunch of skills and options. That and their growth system. And how you control the guys.

Totally! Notice the terminology they're using though. I wouldn't be surprised if "this isn't what I was expecting" is a pretty common sentiment around launch.

I dont know what everyone else was playing.

As someone who has never liked FF, it felt servicable.

You just have to work with the combat system.

as a kid, equip sword, circle circle, switch to hammer, circle is your basic combo.

As an adult, lead in with the teleport, circle circle, dodge, teleport, circle is your best combo.

Ive watched a few videos of people playing and it looks more like people just dont know how to play action orientated games, than the combat system being overly bad. There is no reason people should be getting hit so much unless they are ignoring obvious tells and just hammering away on the buttons.

As for graphics, meh. They were nice enough.

Eh I disagree. The problem is that it does NOT control like an action game, and that's where people are having problems.

Skrams

Ok, after playing it a second time I understand stuff a little better.

You get orbs by finding them and also killing enemies. I got 413 my second time through and that was with skipping a few enemies in area 2. I don't think they really impact anything past the gold plates or whatever it is?

I also found the better version of the hammer in area 3 and the other two weapons during the final fight. Didn't know you could warp to those places the first time. I liked the shield since it allows for pretty much a parry on any attack, but it's too buttcake easy to do it. I also think I figured out the special parry for the battle is just when defend pops up and you have to time it right for his big overhead slash that usually gets him stuck in the ground. No touching of the stick by accident or anything I think.

I get that this was rushed a bit most likely, but man, there doesn't really feel like a lot of things to mess with at all. At least I don't see a path for the systems at all present for me to learn more. Holding circle for autocombos is just really uninteresting. I was hoping that since the game presented you with a lot of options and a infinite boss at the end would mean it would have a little chunk to mess with, but ehhhhh. There's some things to get more of a hold on, but I'm not really feeling much of it.

Also man the warp lock on is terrible for what it chooses.

And I still probably buy the deluxe version day one despite this.

I also need to take this chance to play the Duscae demo too and compare.

It said hold to do an attack string, right? Duscae was the same way, you can technically mash the button, but I don't think it makes a difference. You're not really stringing together separate attacks, the game is just going through a preset combo that you trigger with one button. Duscae at least had combo enders that you could trigger by timing different button presses, but I didn't see anything like that in this demo since the weapons are assigned to the dpad now.

I also got used to the old way they had it and found myself fumbling with weapon switches. I did manage to end sword combos (with kid Noctis) using the hammer. Seemed pretty effective. Acts as a knockdown.

BocoDragon

In the final game there will be such a myriad of things to deal with in combat. "Holding to attack" is what you will be doing in those brief seconds you have in between switching weapons, defending, warping and moving in the 3D space.

Of course it's not fun. Selecting "fight" on a menu over and over again at the beginning of an old school RPG isn't fun either. That's what this O auto-battle mechanic represents.

Man I wish we could just get an FF game with DMC / Bayonetta combat if they don't want to do turn based.

That's never going to happen though of course.

UPDATE on glitching out of the map:

Got pushed through the floor by the big guy in the center of the map.

Couldn't really decipher if there was water or endless void below me because as soon as it happened, the game stopped, flashed a black box warning about returning me to the play area, then immediately returned me to the play area via fading to black transition. No loading screen, happens instantly. Capture didn't save on PS4 for some reason (wtf?).

Seems the era of glitchy exploration is at an end, my friends.

BocoDragon

Man I wish we could just get an FF game with DMC / Bayonetta combat if they don't want to do turn based.

Nier Automata appears to be a straight up Platinum character action game with RPG elements, so never say never.

Sometimes I wish we could go back to just straight turn based combat.

if they don't want to do turn based.

There are 1 million ways to arrange RPG elements without being turn based. I want to see these experiments.

Not saying I don't want to see turn based again some day... just don't kill the myriad of RPG possibilities in the womb. Real time elements doesn't necessarily mean the death of strategy.

Faenix1

K. Was that really suppose to sell me to preorder Final Fantasy 15?
I don't know if I'm an idiot, the demo sucked, or it was just THAT bad at telling you what to do but I didn't enjoy myself at all. I was expecting to go in and have an awesome time and this was to re-kindle my hype completely but it's done the absolute opposite.

Been wanting this game ever since it was Versus 13 and in one fell swoop this demo completely killed my interest.

This "demo" was a complete and utter mistake on SE's part. This was how you do a demo the wrong way. God I'm so disappointed right now and I don't know if it's at me for being stupid or SE.

Squire

Banned

Nope.

Because they don't want to do turn-based, but they're also scared of the backlash that would come with implementing a design more reliant on reflexes. But they also want the flashy imagery fostered by something like DMC or Bayonetta, so we get this have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too design that doesn't really fill anyone's stomach.

Kuraudo

Banned

It won't happen with the main series, but hopefully if Nier Automata works out we'll see more colaborations between SE and Platinum.

A Platinum developed Tifa game is my dream game.

Eh I disagree. The problem is that it does NOT control like an action game, and that's where people are having problems.

I never said it did.

But if you have an action game background, you should be able to pick up what the game is trying to do and work around it.

Like Notis teleport is like a flying swallow tied to a resource meter. His attack is exactly the same in essense as a UT. The auto dodge is in actual fact a counter. The roll is tied to your lock on, which is automatic.

all the usual tools are there, you just have to use them differently to how you are used to.

Putty

Massive letdown. Good lord. A clunky mess control wise, horrible visual's with awful performance, terrible IQ. I was stoked to say the least but this has now gone completely off my radar. The only saving grace is the music which is fabulous.

Edit: And to think people thought the animations in this we're/are up to the quality of UC4...Nope.

I never said it did.

But if you have an action game background, you should be able to pick up what the game is trying to do and work around it.

Like Notis teleport is like a flying swallow tied to a resource meter. His attack is exactly the same in essense as a UT. The auto dodge is in actual fact a counter.

all the usual tools are there, you just have to use them differently to how you are used to.

Well you said "it looks more like people just dont know how to play action orientated games". It just takes a bit of getting used to it and for some people that is difficult in a 30 minutes demo which has 5 minutes of actual combat.

BocoDragon

Nope.

Because they don't want to do turn-based, but they're also scared of the backlash that would come with implementing a design more reliant on reflexes. But they also want the flashy imagery fostered by something like DMC or Bayonetta, so we get this have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too design that doesn't really fill anyone's stomach.

You're mostly right in your assessment.

Though I don't necessarily agree that this is some compromise that doesn't fill anyone's stomach.

I do crave the ultimate fusion of RPG decision-making and real time action elements. There's something really fun about making fast-paced high-level decisions (as opposed to direct actions) as it affects a real-time scene. I felt it during the best highs of the XIII games, where my strategic mind was racing as it quickly did calculations in the midst of a fast-paced real time action experience. It's like being the conductor or a coach of the battle scene, as opposed to an individual participant.

Is XV the ideal? Well who knows.

But unlike people who wish it all went back to turn-based, or see the real-time elements of FF as a mere compromise to make it visually exciting, I think there is the potential to re-balance RPG elements into a real-time combat scenario in a way that is not just "flashy" but intellectually satisfying.

I can tell from your video you are using the auto dodge as your main spacing tool. Dont. Only hold auto dodge when you are about to be hit. Your teleport is how you should be getting in an out of danger.

Do I need to press and hold Triangle to teleport out of danger. And more specifically, do I need to be looking at a warp point to teleport out? I thought about that during the video, and I figured it wasn't a good way to evade attacks because first I would need to rotate the camera to find a warp point, and then press and hold triangle...

I really just wish Noct had a Trickster dash like Dante, just press /\ and direction and bam - dash away.

I will say though that you'll get much better when you play it more often. It's got it's quirks that's for sure.

Do I need to press and hold Triangle to teleport out of danger. And more specifically, do I need to be looking at a warp point to teleport out? I thought about that during the video, and I figured it wasn't a good way to evade attacks because first I would need to rotate the camera to find a warp point, and then press and hold triangle...

I really just wish Noct had a Trickster dash like Dante, just press / and direction and bam - dash away.

I was just holding triangle. The game seemed to work out the safest place to put me. When Teleporting into an attack, I was just pushing the stick towards the iron giant.

BocoDragon

Massive letdown. Good lord. A clunky mess control wise, horrible visual's with awful performance, terrible IQ. I was stoked to say the least but this has now gone completely off my radar. The only saving grace is the music which is fabulous.

Edit: And to think people thought the animations in this we're/are up to the quality of UC4...Nope.

Sounds like they should delay the game untill they have a good game.

The game is clearly far, far better than this demo indicates (Duscae players know this)... but man, I don't blame newbies for taking away the message that FFXV is in trouble.

It's been established by data that the average demo might actually lessen interest in a main game. Well this demo, especially so.

I honestly think if you could turn back the clock 12 hours and cancel this demo, you'd increase sales potential :p

Played it twice, first time I only got 248 orbs and figured gold plates must be unlocked at 250, so I did it again and got 300 something lol. I apparently missed a few areas in the giant room. Got both weapon upgrades and all the magic, though, and tried out all the different cars and animals.

You can unlock silver plates at 100 orbs, gold plates at 250 orbs, and the platinum plate once you beat the final enemy. Gold plates are in the third area and give you a new magic attack and reset enemy spawns, silver was in second and was...cars, maybe?

wait, can you go back to the previous areas after defeating the Golem? Didn't see any Platinum plates in the last area apart from restarting the encounter maybe?

Thanks for the help, started collecting them now and got to 290 already in the second area. Gold unlocks indeed at 250

Meteorain is the best magic bomb I've found so far :)

platinumdemofinalfantb6osu.png

platinumdemofinalfantfgqhg.png

It's hidden in the corner with those books under some wooden blocks that you have to jerk away lol

finished the demo. didn't run that badly.
IQ was improved from Duscae but that's not saying much, but really I'd take stable/increased FPS over higher resolution at this point (demo is 900p apparently). the cities were quite nice and pretty, and seeing Leviathan was cool. Kinda feels like they should have left the combat out and just had you manipulate things only considering how simplistic it was with 2 weapons and Fireworks/Fire spell.

Edit: I've been playing Dark Souls on PC recently with DSFix and the fps at 60 and sometimes when I steam chat etc it locks itself to 30 again and this certainly felt closer to that 30 than Duscae being really all over the place.

This thread also taught me people keep using the term "IQ" to liberally. A lot of times TV calibration goes a long way in helping IQ. RGB range, overscanning issues, sharpness too high etc.,

I'm not saying the game didn't have it's visual flaws but I didn't think aliasing was that bad. Often times TV's default to high contrast/sharpness levels.

Jobbs

Banned
Ultimately I'm just baffled. Why would they put out a demo like this? Do they think this is the proof of concept for the full game? Some bizarre dream with nothing exciting to do?

The combat is terrible but the gag weapons and the sound effect of the rubber hammer just made it seem even worse . it's not all flash and no substance; it's no flash and no substance. I've never played a more unappealing game than this demo, at least not this cycle

EDIT: Here's me saving face for the shenanigans that are contained in this post. Post otherwise unaltered.

My 4 am 'no PC announcement' fueled shitpost is a thread. Fuck.

Look, it's honestly understandable why they had to do that in the demo. Everything is cut down because its a single area. Everything outside the citadel is probably built like the Destiny Islands town in KH2 or a Smash Brothers stage: loads of 2D assets and scale fudging. As soon as you break through the floor a message pops up and they take you back, no loading. This area is way more optimized than Duscae's several miles long expanse. High poly versions of anything outside that area are most likely not in this demo.

Not to mention, you're really not supposed to be up that high. These assets weren't built for it back then, much less now. I dunno why they left that function in this demo. If you can in fact step right outside the citadel in the actual game, it will definitely look better.

LOD scaling for performance reasons is also something to be considered regarding content inside the actual arena.

Granted, there is plenty to complain about in regard to many of the other technical aspects and shortcomings of this demo.

ciMb.jpg

eiMb.jpg

alt shot

Top Bottom