• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake: Rebirth Demo dropping tomorrow

King Dazzar

Haven't played the demo myself yet but yikes, that video looks bad.

It looks like a 10 year old game. In fact, that's not fair. I'd say some 10 year old games look far better. Of course the fanbois are going to disagree, but such is life.
This is interesting, Jon is saying the performance mode, not the quality mode is actually running at about 1440p. Not 1080p or less like some, including myself are assuming. He says the blurriness on the performance mode is caused by the post processing not resolution. This sounds like something that they may be able to improve upon by tweaking their solution. May be a similar situation to Horizon Forbidden West I wonder.

8CeAf1j.png
Yeah I just dont see this ever looking anything remotely as good as HFW. I remember SE saying they would address the performance mode on FFXVI and never did. I'll believe it literally when I see it.

Skifi28

This is interesting, Jon is saying the performance mode, not the quality mode is actually running at about 1440p. Not 1080p or less like some, including myself are assuming. He says the blurriness on the performance mode is caused by the post processing not resolution. This sounds like something that they may be able to improve upon by tweaking their solution. May be a similar situation to Horizon Forbidden West I wonder.

8CeAf1j.png
This is great news, if the actual resolution is decent then it sounds like an "easy" fix. Considering the demo is probably an older build anyway, it sounds quite promising assuming they read feedback. Then again, you never know with Japanese Devs.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

It looks like a 10 year old game. In fact, that's not fair. I'd say some 10 year old games look far better. Of course the fanbois are going to disagree, but such is life.

Yeah I just dont see this ever looking anything remotely as good as HFW. I remember SE saying they would address the performance mode on FFXVI and never did. I'll believe it literally when I see it.

That's cool. It doesn't need to look like any other game, especially not HFW. The graphics are good enough and does a lot of nice things interpreting the characters and world of the original game. This will be one of the most enjoyable games of the generation for me. :messenger_tongue:

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
You guys are trying too hard. This game looks way better than any repeating textures crap game you can bring up. It's the sum of its parts deal not a few bad textures here or there.
People dont buy new gen hardware for having exclusives looking like this. There's no valid justification for this.

Yes, it does not look terrible. It looks good enough. But for being a ps5 game, it looks very underwhelming.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
People dont buy new gen hardware for having exclusives looking like this. There's no valid justification for this.

I'm gonna assume it's because the game was likely cross-gen until late into development.

I doubt an FFVIIR Part 3 releases with UE4 (in this state, or UE4 at all) in the next couple of years.

Whitecrow

Banned
I'm gonna assume it's because the game was likely cross-gen until late into development.

I doubt an FFVIIR Part 3 releases with UE4 (in this state, or UE4 at all) in the next couple of years.
Everything points to it being cross gen at first.
Specially the disguised loading sections.

But that doesnt make much sense to me given the time frame of the development... But what would I know.

I kinda respect their decision of not switching to ue5, but one would think that by now, they would mastered ue4 already. Almost looks the opposite.

Yes, it does not look terrible. It looks good enough. But for being a ps5 game, it looks very underwhelming.

I mean pretty much a majority of the games which are "next-gen" are just PS4 era games with the settings cranked to high and an FPS boost, FF7 is no different.

Sure it could be better but it's good enough, but that's just subjective on my part.

cormack12

Gold Member
Hitting some of the assets like the pet bowl in Tifas House was really jarring:

This is GTA V Online on the Kosatka that also has poor geometry on the dials. But that's online and years old.

I think uneven is the best description. Some of it looks really good like the characters, but I think this is more likely an art style decision.

Fbh

8CeAf1j.png

That's encouraging, as it's something they might be able to fix by the time it launches

Lethal01

This is great news, if the actual resolution is decent then it sounds like an "easy" fix. Considering the demo is probably an older build anyway, it sounds quite promising assuming they read feedback. Then again, you never know with Japanese Devs.
Less worrried about the IQ and more worried about the terrible texture and lighting.

I'm just not a huge graphics guy, I guess. I thought it looked fine. I had some minor complaints, especially with lighting in some cases, but overall it looks "good".

Go_Ly_Dow

The valid justification is emphasising, game content, game scope and a timely release over slightly better graphics. Look at all the stick Sony 1st party studios get after nearly 4 years into this gen for not having even announced games. We may not see a lot of first party games until the tail end of this gen. By that point part 3 will be releasing.

foamdino

From what I saw last night, I was impressed. Perhaps I just didn't see something that people are pointing out as a glaring issue. I was watching the boy play on perf mode and I kept saying "are you sure this is perf mode?". I honestly thought it looked great.

Obviously this is just my 2p but I'm surprised people are saying it looks crap/ps4 quality - to me it's an obvious leap ahead of FFVII remake...

saintjules

From what I saw last night, I was impressed. Perhaps I just didn't see something that people are pointing out as a glaring issue. I was watching the boy play on perf mode and I kept saying "are you sure this is perf mode?". I honestly thought it looked great.

Obviously this is just my 2p but I'm surprised people are saying it looks crap/ps4 quality - to me it's an obvious leap ahead of FFVII remake...

People are just looking for that new-gen experience and supposedly aren't seeing it from a fidelity standpoint. And the ongoing conversation is that the excuse Intergrade and the last 2/3rds of this game abandoned the PS4 for the PS5 only route. And to them this doesn't look like anything groundbreaking to justify that move.

I thought the demo looked fine, especially in combat. I can see the gripes regarding textures, but I don't think that will deter the overall experience.

Based on the history of demos we've seen, nothing looks drastically different from a demo to retail release. So it does come back to the question of what build is this demo from?

Last edited:

foamdino

People are just looking for that new-gen experience and supposedly aren't seeing it from a fidelity standpoint. And the ongoing conversation is that the excuse Intergrade and the last 2/3rds of this game abandoned the PS4 and doesn't look like anything groundbreaking.

I thought it looked fine, especially in combat. I can see the gripes but I don't think that will deter the experience. And aren't we seeing TGS builds here?
The posted video which is being discussed looked nothing like my experience last night. That looks like someone has deliberately run it through some video mangler to create the most artefact/choppy rendition possible.

saintjules

The posted video which is being discussed looked nothing like my experience last night. That looks like someone has deliberately run it through some video mangler to create the most artefact/choppy rendition possible.

Is it the video John commented on?

Skifi28

Biggest problem is performance mode looks very soft. Depending on your setup/TV distance it may not be that bad, on my side it's very noticeable on a monitor, but I wouldn't call it terrible either.

peish

A question about OG ff7 zack

been decades since I played the game, but what was the point of having Zack in the story but for surprise! factor? What’s the point of having cloud go amnesiac? Now with rebirth, won’t that undermine cloud interactions with sepht if they play the surprise! card again?

A question about OG ff7 zack

been decades since I played the game, but what was the point of having Zack in the story but for surprise! factor? What’s the point of having cloud go amnesiac? Now with rebirth, won’t that undermine cloud interactions with sepht if they play the surprise! card again?
Yes, it will undermine everything if I understand you correctly.

I've played through the demo a few times on graphics mode, and I have a few gripes:

• Low resolution textures
    • Rocks, given that Nibelheim is mostly rocks, this should be fixed, they look to be sub 1024x1024 on some fairly large assets, even the smaller rocks like stones have really low resolution textures applied.
    • Smaller non "In your face" objects like the crates are fine and don't need HQ textures.
    • Wood work - This one is for sure needed especially in cut scenes as they are rendered in-engine.
  • Minor fit and finish issues
    • In the reactor, there are a few assets that are used to frame a large series of grates on the floor, if you look on the edges of these grates, you'll see long vertical metal beam that has a zig zag pattern running the entire length, this asset also sits higher than the grates on both side, but, they took this same asset, used it on the floor closest to your character when you walk in, but sunk it floor level, and cut off half the zig zag pattern as they attempted to level it with the non grate portion of the floor.
    • In the town, they have you crawl under some burning debris/assets that is clipped through 4 non damaged support pillars/assets, that one is kind of jarring.
  • The piano mini-game
    • The UI looks to be low resolution, not sure why that's the case, but it's a small gripe.
  • Books
    • When Sephiroth is loosing his marbles, he reads from a book and we get a glimpse of the pages, the text is pretty blocky/low res. (Not that we could read it because it doesn't look to be English or Japanese, but they could have given us some HQ text at least lol).
  • Draw Distance/LOD
    • When looking at the reactor from the village entrance, everything looks good, but once up top on the reactor looking back down, the town looks pretty bad.
  • Minor effects
    • During the opening sequence, when the transport truck is rolling down the road, it's raining, there are water droplets on the ground, but no water mist/trail being kicked up by the tires. Now, I'll admit, this one is petty, but at this point, it's practically free in terms of the amount of horse power that's required to add such an effect and it would really help ground the scene overall.

I am still day one lol, I pre-ordered the deluxe physical edition and I am even more excited after playing the demo. One thing I did notice, is that during the state of play, that said that they were able to use even higher quality assets thanks to the PS5's SSD, so I am still holding out hope for the final build of the game.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Is there an VFR mode? Like 45 fps?
Tried the last of us 2 in VFR mode that shit is insane

saintjules

Reminder again:

I've played through the demo a few times on graphics mode, and I have a few gripes:

• Low resolution textures
    • Rocks, given that Nibelheim is mostly rocks, this should be fixed, they look to be sub 1024x1024 on some fairly large assets, even the smaller rocks like stones have really low resolution textures applied.
    • Smaller non "In your face" objects like the crates are fine and don't need HQ textures.
    • Wood work - This one is for sure needed especially in cut scenes as they are rendered in-engine.
  • Minor fit and finish issues
    • In the reactor, there are a few assets that are used to frame a large series of grates on the floor, if you look on the edges of these grates, you'll see long vertical metal beam that has a zig zag pattern running the entire length, this asset also sits higher than the grates on both side, but, they took this same asset, used it on the floor closest to your character when you walk in, but sunk it floor level, and cut off half the zig zag pattern as they attempted to level it with the non grate portion of the floor.
    • In the town, they have you crawl under some burning debris/assets that is clipped through 4 non damaged support pillars/assets, that one is kind of jarring.
  • The piano mini-game
    • The UI looks to be low resolution, not sure why that's the case, but it's a small gripe.
  • Books
    • When Sephiroth is loosing his marbles, he reads from a book and we get a glimpse of the pages, the text is pretty blocky/low res. (Not that we could read it because it doesn't look to be English or Japanese, but they could have given us some HQ text at least lol).
  • Draw Distance/LOD
    • When looking at the reactor from the village entrance, everything looks good, but once up top on the reactor looking back down, the town looks pretty bad.
  • Minor effects
    • During the opening sequence, when the transport truck is rolling down the road, it's raining, there are water droplets on the ground, but no water mist/trail being kicked up by the tires. Now, I'll admit, this one is petty, but at this point, it's practically free in terms of the amount of horse power that's required to add such an effect and it would really help ground the scene overall.

I am still day one lol, I pre-ordered the deluxe physical edition and I am even more excited after playing the demo. One thing I did notice, is that during the state of play, that said that they were able to use even higher quality assets thanks to the PS5's SSD, so I am still holding out hope for the final build of the game.

First it was the low-res door, now it's rocks/stones. Hope they can catch a break on this.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
For those that played the OG to the end and did everything...

I wonder if they'll make the fight with Emerald Weapon the same whereby the amount of materia the user is wearing affects the hit points it does? Remember its Aire Tam attack? Aire Tam - materia backwards. The more you had the harder it hit.

Last edited:

proandrad

I assumed it looked different because it was "in the past". I didn't really pay it much attention, but thought it looked kind of wonky and weird.. but this comparison makes it look downright awful.
That expression on his face, it’s like he has a completely different personality.
😉

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Similar to RE4R and Elden Ring, once the games comes out and people start enjoying the game NONE of these graphic whining matters, none of it.

We go through same crap every time......This should be clear by now that majority of Japanese devs maybe other than Kojima dont care about having top of the line high tech graphics.

Dont worry we gonna go through same crap of graphic whores whining once Capcom release demo for Monster Hunter Wild....because of course we will.

He's 5 years younger and for other reasons it could be stylized but I think people are overreacting.
Yeah I agree with that mostly. I figured the "wide eyed" thing was meant for that reason. But comparing them side to side in that Twitter video... The new one looks awful, not stylized. Dunno, I don't remember it looking that awful when I played the demo just a day ago or so but I also wasn't intently staring at his face, going to boot it back up because I almost don't believe it looks that bad. 😆

Kilau

Yeah I agree with that mostly. I figured the "wide eyed" thing was meant for that reason. But comparing them side to side in that Twitter video... The new one looks awful, not stylized. Dunno, I don't remember it looking that awful when I played the demo just a day ago or so but I also wasn't intently staring at his face, going to boot it back up because I almost don't believe it looks that bad. 😆

It does look goofy and having just played it last night I don't remember it looking like that exactly but by stylized I mean they could be giving things a distorted appearance because Cloud is an unreliable narrator. Just an idea 🤷‍♂️

Madflavor

Genuine question. When you consider the Open World angle, the lengthier story and side story, the insane amount of mini games, and the overall size of the game, is it really….uh…THAT shocking that there’s technical imperfections, when they’re getting this game out in 4 years?

Unless you’re willing to wait 5-7 years between releases, with no compromise to the amount of content an FFVII remake should have, performance and visual issues should probably be expected. To make this game in its current form, look truly next gen, you’re looking at about two more years of development time. I don’t think people want this whole trilogy to take almost two decades to make, and neither does Square.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Genuine question. When you consider the Open World angle, the lengthier story and side story, the insane amount of mini games, and the overall size of the game, is it really….uh…THAT shocking that there’s technical imperfections, when they’re getting this game out in 4 years?

Unless you’re willing to wait 5-7 years between releases, with no compromise to the amount of content an FFVII remake should have, performance and visual issues should probably be expected. To make this game in its current form, look truly next gen, you’re looking at about two more years of development time. I don’t think people want this whole trilogy to take almost two decades to make, and neither does Square.

Also, people forgetting the roots here. We're bitching about rock textures in a 100+ hour current day RPG that is a remake of a title released in the beginning of the PS1 run, I mean....

Top Bottom