• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth | Spoiler Thread

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This is the place to discuss Final Fantasy VII Rebirth without having to spoiler tag anything. Beware that this thread will contain unmarked spoilers for ALL parts of the game, so only venture forth if you've completed the story and want to discuss it with others (or don't care about story spoilers).

All other discussion should be put in the game's OT.

Last edited:

Thabass

Yay another multiverse to explore.

While I loved Rebirth as a whole, the ending is really stupid. Even for Square Enix standards. A shoehorned multiverse to bring everyone back just for them make every character "alive" again. And I bet by the end of part 3, which let's be honest, will absolutely be called "REUNION", they'll all survive and will live.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Is anyone else glad they half killed Aerith and she's a ghost now?

I mean when cloud left her behind I cheered, because that means (hopefully) a majority of the next game can't include her shitty floaty combat system and slow ass ATB build. I am no longer forced to play an absolutely garbage character... God help them if they fuck up cid and Vincint and make them just as shit somehow, being forced to play as her was some of the worst experiences in gaming iv ever had, made worse but how much fun the rest of the cast are to play.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Is anyone else glad they half killed Aerith and she's a ghost now?

I mean when cloud left her behind I cheered, because that means (hopefully) a majority of the next game can't include her shitty floaty combat system and slow ass ATB build. I am no longer forced to play an absolutely garbage character... God help them if they fuck up cid and Vincint and make them just as shit somehow, being forced to play as her was some of the worst experiences in gaming iv ever had, made worse but how much fun the rest of the cast are to play.
Is this what they've legit done this time or are you pulling my chain?

OG she was meant to come back (hence the glitches in the church and references to her later in the game)

Last edited:
Yeah, amazing game but that ending left me cold.

It's such a mess, I'm not a fan at all.

This won't change the fact that overall, the game is amazing, it's just the new stuff that doesn't work for me...

Hate Glenn, Hated Roche, hated the ending.
Lol, the only thing I'm happy about as far as seeing Roche again is that hopefully he's dead and gone for good. Or as good as dead. I hate a lot of the new stuff also, but I knew they couldn't help themselves after the cluster that was Remake. But still, like you say, most of the experience and the game itself is awesome otherwise. Just too bad they couldn't stick to the script, IMO the additions aren't worthwhile as far as "unknown journey". They just muddy the water and make things less impactful for what is FF VII.

Thabass

Yeah, amazing game but that ending left me cold.

It's such a mess, I'm not a fan at all.

This won't change the fact that overall, the game is amazing, it's just the new stuff that doesn't work for me...

Hate Glenn, Hated Roche, hated the ending.
I like the Glenn stuff. I can see how that works in the Remake trilogy. Tho, I do like the story stuff in Ever Crisis, so maybe that's why.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
GILGAMESH stuff gave me a bit of lore to digest. Probably the best part of Rebirth for me.

He wields the Muramasa, Naginata, Bashosen(Banana Fan), Excalipoor(which he has learned how to use effectively with multi-hit), Excalibur and Rune Axe in this game. Also uses the Genji Shield and has what appears to be a Genji Club and probably a imitation Buster Sword on his back that he never uses.

The ending is interesting to me as it seems going forward Cloud is even more unhinged and I think a paradox event with Zack Fair(2 Buster Swords) and I think 2 Black Materia will surface. Seph with one and Cloud with the other(probably filled with Cloud's emotions being rage, spite and pain).

I think if they can pull a Legacy of Kain we have some potential here but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm interested in if Intermission has more Deepground related stuff. I have a feeling it'll be Vincent themed.

Prior to others here I liked Roche and was kinda hoping be would be a new party member or ally. He gave me some discount Zenos Galvus vibes. Would love more backstory on him. But I think they killed him off in Rebirth to set the stage for an early look at Seph Clone degradation and probably will lead back to Genesis. The degradation actually sped up when he got the "powerup" but it was shortlived and he ends up losing his speed and just got slower and slower.

With Zack Fair you can see the choices he makes denotes at least 2 separate timelines(primarily with the Biggs/Find Cure split) so I imagine we will be seeing a lot of "split hairs" in Part 3.

I am disappointed with how Cid Highwind is presented and I feel they probably will retcon his character arc with Shera. Feel like they made him comic relief thus far.

Although I disagree on how the end confrontation played out the Barret vs Dyne stuff was really good.

I liked the Gi and Cetra lore bits. Feels nice to know the Black Materia's origin story that wasn't present in the OG game instead of the Magic 8 ball is here.

Vincent is cool. Really hope they showcase a Hojo/Lucrecia sub plot.

Yuffie has a lot more characterization. Probably my favorite character to see in action. Probably my favorite character.

GILGAMESH stuff gave me a bit of lore to digest. Probably the best part of Rebirth for me.

He wields the Muramasa, Naginata, Bashosen(Banana Fan), Excalipoor(which he has learned how to use effectively with multi-hit), Excalibur and Rune Axe in this game. Also uses the Genji Shield and has what appears to be a Genji Club and probably a imitation Buster Sword on his back that he never uses.

The ending is interesting to me as it seems going forward Cloud is even more unhinged and I think a paradox event with Zack Fair(2 Buster Swords) and I think 2 Black Materia will surface. Seph with one and Cloud with the other(probably filled with Cloud's emotions being rage, spite and pain).

I think if they can pull a Legacy of Kain we have some potential here but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm interested in if Intermission has more Deepground related stuff. I have a feeling it'll be Vincent themed.

Prior to others here I liked Roche and was kinda hoping be would be a new party member or ally. He gave me some discount Zenos Galvus vibes. Would love more backstory on him. But I think they killed him off in Rebirth to set the stage for an early look at Seph Clone degradation and probably will lead back to Genesis. The degradation actually sped up when he got the "powerup" but it was shortlived and he ends up losing his speed and just got slower and slower.

With Zack Fair you can see the choices he makes denotes at least 2 separate timelines(primarily with the Biggs/Find Cure split) so I imagine we will be seeing a lot of "split hairs" in Part 3.

I am disappointed with how Cid Highwind is presented and I feel they probably will retcon his character arc with Shera. Feel like they made him comic relief thus far.

Although I disagree on how the end confrontation played out the Barret vs Dyne stuff was really good.

I liked the Gi and Cetra lore bits. Feels nice to know the Black Materia's origin story that wasn't present in the OG game instead of the Magic 8 ball is here.

Vincent is cool. Really hope they showcase a Hojo/Lucrecia sub plot.

Yuffie has a lot more characterization. Probably my favorite character to see in action. Probably my favorite character.
Yeah, I also felt like Cid was mischaracterized so far and he doesn't seem much like himself at all. Guess we'll see where it goes.

SkylineRKR

I like a lot of things they changed, but obviously not everything.

The original I know. No surprises here. If they went for this narrative, you could fill it in. Aerith dies, cloud spirals into madness, team searches for huge materia, cloud gets whole again, team strikes back at Shinra and finally Sephiroth. You're going to wait another 4 years for this resolution.

But instead they found an excuse to bring Zack back. Personally, I was hyped up when the game started with Zack of all people. This wasn't known and its not how the Demo opened. I liked his parts, its a bit like Laguna from FFVIII. And he is in a timeline where meteor has been summoned. I liked how they gave context to many NPC, and also reflected back on characters like Jessie. Much more is fleshed out in Rebirth. Even small time characters like Joe, which was Esthers brother in OG and only raced you randomly with no context, he's now an adviserary and unrelated to Esther who in turn is the sister of the Chocobo farmer and there is a whole story surrounding these races.

I find this the best FF game since XII. There is a LOT to do, and even if you skip all optional content there is a great world traveling adventure in here.

Of some things i'm not a fan, a ton of the new characters are shit. Like Roche for example. Even the moment he enters, I was like... not now.

Yeah, I like how it's an overarching side quest that spans all areas and more. Pretty cool and I knew who he was right away so it was interesting to see where it went. I love that he becomes a summon at the end.

I'm a bit obsessive trying to craft every one item.. but those genji items to get to them I need what seems like every piece of dark matter from all the mini games. Some I don't mind to play and win but others are driving me a bit nuts, I just need 8 more dark matter. 😭

Katajx

Gold Member
The ending didn’t bother me too much, but I wish they were a little more direct, and not so mysterious with what is going on. It’s crazy that 2 games made up disc 1, and I’m just struggling to see how they are gonna fit the rest in the next game.

I really hope they do Cid and Vincent justice, because Red XIII was amazing after not being playable in part 1.

Ugh.. I just want this dark matter.. I cannot get these high scores in this god awful cactuar mini game.. there have to be other ways. I beat it with Aerith but Yuffie was insanely hard. Still can't get hard mode beaten which leads me to party level 10... I hate that it's locked behind various Hard Mode mini games. Many people will never reach party level 10 perhaps me included. Lol

Last edited:
It's crazy that they have literally no idea how to end these games other than just throwing Sephiroth and whispers into a blender and forcing you to experience the mess that comes out. None of the end of this game made any fucking sense.

Overall the game was great. I felt it was kind of mid until Junon, then it was basically non-stop awesome to Nibelheim, and then from there it was mid until the ending which was just dumb. Most changes I was ok with but Glenn was such mysterious "string pulling" anime garbage character, and how they changed Cid and his background/removed Rocket Town is simply bad and not good as the original, full stop.

Also I'm gonna take a big rip from the bong here, but is it just me or does the Weapon redesign kind of remind you of Sin? And did the lifestream dance that Aeris did towards the end kind of look like Yuna doing a sending?

I know they toyed with the connecting reference in FFX-2, but Sin being a weapon that exists to destroy technology so humans can never build another Mako reactor could fit... I know it doesn't fully work with the FFX plot and Sin backstory but for some reason those two things really made me think FFX instantly.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Sin and the Weapon redesigns are similar to a degree they just look like big fish. I don't think the WEAPON's showcased in Rebirth are any of the iconic ones. Ruby, Emerald, Sapphire, Diamond, Ultimate, Omega all have different appearances. Seems like a lesser weapon to me. Would be sad if it was Sapphire Weapon.

Sin and the Weapon redesigns are similar to a degree they just look like big fish. I don't think the WEAPON's showcased in Rebirth are any of the iconic ones. Ruby, Emerald, Sapphire, Diamond, Ultimate, Omega all have different appearances. Seems like a lesser weapon to me. Would be sad if it was Sapphire Weapon.
Yeah I really hope the named Weapons are in the third part, because if they replaced all those with the two identical ones in Rebirth that is a damn shame. Like that whole Weapon awakening scene in the original is so great and such a huge turn in the story...

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Yeah I really hope the named Weapons are in the third part, because if they replaced all those with the two identical ones in Rebirth that is a damn shame. Like that whole Weapon awakening scene in the original is so great and such a huge turn in the story...
Weapons raised the stakes in the grand scheme of things and put the edge on because you not only had Jenova to contend with but Planetary defenses that only end up aiding Sephiroth in the long term by causing destruction with their focus on areas with excessive Mako concentration and Shinra as a whole since their targets are mainly Mako Reactors.

I imagine the big Weapon will show up in Part 3 and when they do Sephiroth will be at the Northern Crater with his magic shield up to escape Weapon detection.

Yeah, I felt like their impact is lessened here. I don't like the use of weapon in this game at all, very underwhelming even if they do show up bigger and better later, having them come around now messes up the impact later. Guess they have their own "new vision" for it, but it's just not as good as what already existed IMO.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Yeah, I felt like their impact is lessened here. I don't like the use of weapon in this game at all, very underwhelming even if they do show up bigger and better later, having them come around now messes up the impact later. Guess they have their own "new vision" for it, but it's just not as good as what already existed IMO.
I think they want to overuse the parallel dimension card too much. Lots of overreliance on a multiverse. But since it was directed by Nomura I'm not surprised you have the Kingdom Hearts bullshit invading FF7.

Weapons raised the stakes in the grand scheme of things and put the edge on because you not only had Jenova to contend with but Planetary defenses that only end up aiding Sephiroth in the long term by causing destruction with their focus on areas with excessive Mako concentration and Shinra as a whole since their targets are mainly Mako Reactors.

I imagine the big Weapon will show up in Part 3 and when they do Sephiroth will be at the Northern Crater with his magic shield up to escape Weapon detection.
My favorite part was that the Weapons actually kind of made Shinra allies, like things were so fucked they needed Shinra's help. The fact that Barret sort of even compliments Rufus at one point for putting up a fight really adds a lot to the story and hits home how the "bag guy" shifts during the game.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
My favorite part was that the Weapons actually kind of made Shinra allies, like things were so fucked they needed Shinra's help. The fact that Barret sort of even compliments Rufus at one point for putting up a fight really adds a lot to the story and hits home how the "bag guy" shifts during the game.
Enemy of my enemy is my friend. And when the Weapons were unleashed they decided humans were the biggest threat to the Planet. So naturally Avalanche and Shinra sorta kinda join forces up until Midgar is destroyed and Shinra as a superpower is scattered and broken.

Mini games on hard mode finally all toast... Party level 10! Finally.

Don't know that I will grind out a platinum.. there's just too much. Maybe will do the rest later.

Really disappointed that there are only six piano sheet music in the game, I was hoping for 10 or 15, just more in general. Really cool mini game.

Last edited:

Nydius

Just wrapped up the main story and I don’t think I’ve been this disappointed with an ending since Mass Effect 3. What a clusterfuck.

Of course they rather telegraphed the multiverse concept early on when Biggs and Zack were talking, explaining what they last remembered before arriving in Midgar and Zack seemed confused by Biggs’ characterization of Cloud. It was pretty clear they had been pulled from separate universes.

Just like ME3, 95% of the game was amazing and then they shit the bed in the last 5%.

Just wrapped up the main story and I don’t think I’ve been this disappointed with an ending since Mass Effect 3. What a clusterfuck.

Of course they rather telegraphed the multiverse concept early on when Biggs and Zack were talking, explaining what they last remembered before arriving in Midgar and Zack seemed confused by Biggs’ characterization of Cloud. It was pretty clear they had been pulled from separate universes.

Just like ME3, 95% of the game was amazing and then they shit the bed in the last 5%.
Yep.. just no idea what they are thinking. Felt the same about Remake. Why spoil such amazing work with insane ideas that don't really pay off but rather dilute and lower quality of your product is beyond me.

Don't know why people are confused about the ending. It's simple. Sephiroth wants to control the multiverse. Our Cloud is from timeline A but crosses over to timeline B to go on a date with Aerith who is also from timeline B. Sephiroth from timeline C tries to kill Aerith (also from Timeline C) but Cloud from timeline C parries Sephiroth and saves her life. Cloud from timeline B gets sent back to timeline A where Aerith dies but Aerith from timeline B can somehow communicate to Cloud as a ghost in timeline A. Meanwhile, Zack from timeline G gets friendly with Biggs from timeline A and has to decide whether to save Cloud and Aerith or Biggs. Zack chooses to save Cloud & Aerith which creates timeline S and timeline W. Zack from timeline S somehow crosses over to timeline A where he fights Sephiroth alongside Cloud from timeline B. Sephiroth then sends Zack to timeline L while Aerith from timeline D crosses over to timeline A to fight Sephiroth alongside Cloud from timeline C. After Sephiroth's defeat. Cloud's mind is fucked up from being exposed to multiple realities and Part 3 will probably involve Cloud and friendos travelling the multiverse to defeat Sephiroth in timeline Y, X and D.

How hard is that to understand?

Don't know why people are confused about the ending. It's simple. Sephiroth wants to control the multiverse. Our Cloud is from timeline A but crosses over to timeline B to go on a date with Aerith who is also from timeline B. Sephiroth from timeline C tries to kill Aerith (also from Timeline C) but Cloud from timeline C parries Sephiroth and saves her life. Cloud from timeline B gets sent back to timeline A where Aerith dies but Aerith from timeline B can somehow communicate to Cloud as a ghost in timeline A. Meanwhile, Zack from timeline G gets friendly with Biggs from timeline A and has to decide whether to save Cloud and Aerith or Biggs. Zack chooses to save Cloud & Aerith which creates timeline S and timeline W. Zack from timeline S somehow crosses over to timeline A where he fights Sephiroth alongside Cloud from timeline B. Sephiroth then sends Zack to timeline L while Aerith from timeline D crosses over to timeline A to fight Sephiroth alongside Cloud from timeline C. After Sephiroth's defeat. Cloud's mind is fucked up from being exposed to multiple realities and Part 3 will probably involve Cloud and friendos travelling the multiverse to defeat Sephiroth in timeline Y, X and D.

There's nothing confusing about it, it just sucks.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
You forgot to mention Sephiroth did nothing wrong and he just wants to use the power of DARKNESS to finally obtain the Kingdom Hearts. As the Heart of all Multiverses the Kingdom Heart would give Sephiroth the opportunity to rule the multiverse just as Professor Hojo always intended.

DownLikeBCPowder DownLikeBCPowder Nomura probably wants to make his own Xenogears/Xenosaga but it'll never be as good.

Last edited:
The ending didn’t bother me too much, but I wish they were a little more direct, and not so mysterious with what is going on. It’s crazy that 2 games made up disc 1, and I’m just struggling to see how they are gonna fit the rest in the next game.

I really hope they do Cid and Vincent justice, because Red XIII was amazing after not being playable in part 1.
A majority of people who say this stuff clearly don’t remember the contents of Discs 2 and 3. Discs 2 and 3 have a lot of backtracking and when put together are slightly shorter than Disc 1. And Disc 3 is just the final dungeon.

The Weapons are such a big part of FFVII I’m just utterly confused as to why you think they’d be replaced/removed. Of course they’re going to be in Part 3.

Katajx

Gold Member
A majority of people who say this stuff clearly don’t remember the contents of Discs 2 and 3. Discs 2 and 3 have a lot of backtracking and when put together are slightly shorter than Disc 1. And Disc 3 is just the final dungeon.
I do remember those contents. I also know that I had Vincent and Cid before Rebirth ends in the OG.

With the way the expanded Midgar, and Kalm to Forgotten Capital, I’m curious to see how they handle it and make those two fit.

I mean Wutai and Rocket Town will be there too. Probably their own chapters. I wish it was a little more open ended and I can visit in whatever order I wanted instead of it being chapter based.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Just like they did with Sephiroth in part 1. In the original you never even find out about him until you find president Shinra stabbed through with a sword. Such an “oh shit” moment that upped the stakes in the conflict. Until then it was just Avalanche vs Shinra.

Then in Remake they have Sephiroth show up like in the first hour and feature him all over, including a final boss fight where he’s freaking throwing buildings at you.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Part 3 will be Icicle Inn all the way to endgame. Maybe a couple twists and turns involving Shinra Deepground(given Yuffie subplot this seems likely) probably with Weiss and Omega Weapon. I like the characterization for most of the characters but with the Chapter system you really don't have any illusion of choice in terms of how to progress as opposed to the OG FF7. Maybe that will change with Flying Cocobos, Highwind and the Submarine but we shall see.

Wouldn't surprise me if they remove certain things like Round Island and just have Knights of the Round Table just be a Chadley/MAI unlock.

Nydius

Wouldn't surprise me if they remove certain things like Round Island and just have Knights of the Round Table just be a Chadley/MAI unlock.
I wouldn’t be surprised if they just copy/paste the Gilgamesh Island unlock design for round island/Knights of the Round.

The Weapons are such a big part of FFVII I’m just utterly confused as to why you think they’d be replaced/removed. Of course they’re going to be in Part 3.
I mean, they are already in the game now when they shouldn't be, and they introduced two new ones that seemingly have a different purpose than the original weapons. And are all of them going to have that silly materia orb design? (Edit: I mean I guess the originals had it too, but it was way more subdued instead of this giant fucking ball)

Maybe removed was a bit strong of a word, but I just worry that they are going to totally change how they work or their purpose or something. For all the things they kept the same in the games they made a lot of strange changes and I'm not counting anything out.

Last edited:

Brigandier

I enjoyed the game and overall really liked it but there's a lot of things I need to get off my chest which I disliked or straight up hated....

The way Cid is introduced and no Rocket Town sucks ass.

The Temple of the Ancients chapter was going well until Sephiroth (Jenova?) appears and Cloud gives it the black materia which Jenova can't do anything with as it needs to be the actual Sephiroth who's recovering/resting in the northern crater who can summon Meteor... It was shit and was totally pointless it was a poor decision to make this whole scene and I didn't like how no one called out Clouds shitty murderous cocky ass attitude which is clearly Seph/Jenova manipulating him but still.... I really wanted someone to punch him in the face.

Then all of a sudden they're in the
Forrest before Forgotten Capital why cut out Bone Village and the Lunar Harp... Why not show Aerith leave the party to go to Forgotten Capital???? Shitty writing.

No classic burial scene showing Cloud release Aerith into the capital water it just didn't capture the emotional event at all again shitty writing/directing.

Not being able to explore the Forgotten Capital and it just being a 2 hour cut scene with some boss fights which were really uninspired, Copying the end bosses from the original FF7... Bizarro Sephiroth Really?.

They shoehorned so much padding into the game but they couldn't make a fleshed out explorable Rocket Town, Bone Village and most importantly Forgotten City... So lame.

Also the Weapons were absolutely shit 🤣 just big fish... We better see the original six weapons from the Northern Crater in Part 3 some absolutely enormous bioweapons that kick ass and lead to mental boss fights.

Alternate timelines and multiple planets... SE really love their timeline bullshit.

Summon battles that take place in the VR simulation.... Why not just have them in the world after all intel is found and they agree to join you when you defeat them 🤷‍♂️

But other than that it was a good game lol I just had to get off my chest what I think they fluffed compared to the original game, I liked the background of the black materia with the Gi and the more fleshed out temple of ancients explaining Jenova and the scale of the world in general was great.

I'll get slaughtered for this but overall I preferred Remake.

Lethal01

10/10 Easy game of they year with a combat system that is easily the best thing to come out of JPRG's period
Biggest fear is that they listen to people complaining about the changes instead of taking advantage of just how far they can go with the crazy multiverse stuff to give us more fantastic boss fights.

The story does not give you the same feelings as the original, big moments are missing, but the new key moments are far better.

Last edited:

Kazdane

Just finished the game and I loved everything, although I'm still undecided about the ending. Kinda surprised they decided to add Sephiroth Reborn (I thought the final boss would be Jenova) and I dig the multiverse idea. Sephiroth keeps mentioning the reunion but of worlds (rather than his clones). The only thing I'm unsure what's about (and I guess it'll be covered in the third) is what the heck's going on with Aerith's transparent materia. They still got Holy into the prime reality (or whatever you call it), through the Aerith from the end time reality. As for the Weapons, I share the feeling; I was disappointed they didn't show any of the original 6 (unless these two are meant to be Sapphire). I guess they'll show up in Part 3, as that's the one where it makes sense. And since they've mentioned we're not visiting the world of OG FF7 in the same order, I guess Bone Village and Rocket Town will be in it as well.

Oh, and I'll also admit that the change to Red's voice is odd at first, but it makes sense. Within his species, he's a teenager, and once you get to Cosmo Canyon he finally stops acting as if he was older and wiser than he is. It fits his story and it's something they quite couldn't convey in the original (assuming they even thought about it back then).

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Posting some pictures from the end-game and some earlier story relevant areas.

UAMx9Rt.jpeg

hsYeCY1.jpeg

3LAVcLN.jpeg

1fNKryt.jpeg

1JLF53p.jpeg

UyLevp2.jpeg

yihg2lH.jpeg

keefged4

The ending really has soured it for me tbh. It was amazing up until that. Super convoluted and confusing for no reason with all the timeline and dimension pish, wish they'd have just left it as is.

Top Bottom