• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4K information (~2x GPU power w/ clock+, new CPU, price, tent. Q1 2017)

Don't get all hyperbole on me. Nobody said anything about 'blindly following'...

But if you think this is a "bad idea", and have been feverishly against every little bit, then why would you buy it and be "a part of the problem" helping make it a success?

That is where I am confused.

So nothing changes. ;)

Thanks for the discussion.

I do not believe it will get worse.

Because I want the games I already told you that. The exclusives are driving me and I want it period.

the 4K will be 499 since there wont be a price drop for the OG

Wait, I'm confused, and excuse my stupidity here, but how is the fact that the OG not getting a price drop means the 4K will cost $499? I feel like I'm missing something here lol and can't make the link.

Why would that make you nervous?

Announcing a half-successor more than 6 months before release that pushes more casual users to lose interest? There's a reason all the other mainstream device makers (in other market segments) do reveals close to release. Mainstream consumers have short attention spans. I'd rather the gaming market to thrive as much as possible.

The real elephant in the room imo is bandwidth. If the PS4k is 2x more powerful by doubling it's SP to 2304, thus 3.68Tflops and increase the clock speed to 1000mhz, thus 4.6Tflops. What the heck is the point with only 176GB of bandwidth SHARED with the CPU?
GDDR5X doubles the memory bandwidth, so 176 GB/s can easily become 352 GB/s.

They could also increase the bus width from 256-bit to 384-512 bit, although that's highly unlikely.

Naudi

Banned
Yes it does make sense. I am not going to spend that amount of money so close to each other.

Yeah I agree. I'm hope all this is true just cause I always want better stuff but wallet will take a beating if they come out that close. Would most likely have to wait on 1 and hope Xmas bonus is big or maybe even taxes.

joecanada

There was also backlash when Sony announced 599$ for the PS3 and MS announced their kinect+DRM strategy, and those didn't turn out good. GAF isn't always right, but neither is it always wrong.

high price will always be a barrier but the ps3 was not a bad "deal" it was just a new bluray player and they made it 599 so bad business model.

Whether they sell more than a few million 499 ps4K remains to be seen as well, many people may not buy it at first.... but the difference is if OGps4 gradually drops to 299, 249, 199 and meanwhile the ps4K goes from 499, 449, 399, there will be stuff for everyone. then perhaps even PS5 may drop but again it's just where in the life cycle do you want to be.

for me I may go into the 499 lifecycle if I can get maybe 200 for my ps4, but I may also wait, I'm pretty happy as is.

Beefy

Yeah I agree. I'm hope all this is true just cause I always want better stuff but wallet will take a beating if they come out that close. Would most likely have to wait on 1 and hope Xmas bonus is big or maybe even taxes.

Same here. I will just wait a few months to get the PSVR

truth411

Uncharted 4 already runs circles around the orders visuals and its full 1080 and much more open. The same shader artist that worked on the order is on board and the improvements are already noticeable. Just mentioning that it's gonna have a cpu increase along with twice gpu power should be enough for a very noticeable difference in visuals
I wouldn't go that far.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I was going to buy PSVR this christmas, but if PS4.5 is released at the same time and offers an improvement in VR experiences, I am not so confident that VR is going to be great or have a lot of support in the PS4 as I was before this rumours leaked.
Then, pray tell, what made you think PS VR might be great to begin with, if all it took was an incremental hardware upgrade to throw you off?

There's been nothing about these rumors so far that have suggested the PS4 and PS4K wouldn't share the exact same games library, except for the performance optimizations that the 4k hardware would allow. So your concern about the PS4 not getting the same amount of support is unfounded.

As for whether the VR experience will be great on the PS4, we've got at least a year's worth of hands-on demos from various tradeshows and events where the PSVR rig has been used with PS4 hardware. Plenty of impressions saying the experience was at least great, if not necessarily the absolute best. We already knew that before the rumors of a PS4K even existed. It changes nothing.

Chabbles

Reading a few pages of this thread Sony should get behind this as soon as possible to clear up misunderstandings, worries and conspiracy theories with consumers, especially people that just bought a PS4.

I get that this kind of thing is the norm on the tablet and phone market. But many gamers buy their consoles exactly for the reason to not have to upgrade after 3 years. If your smartphone game für 1 buck doesn't run perfect on an old device you won't care, but if you get told to your face that the console you bought last month for €400 won't run your €70 game as good as the new shit you are supposed to buy I can see where there's a problem for many console gamers.

Thats a good point. I'd say the general population have certain expectations with a console purchase, enthusiasts are one thing. If this actually happens, It could seem a bit bait and switchey on Sonys part, depending on how they go about doing it.

labx

Banned
Goddammit, I just spend the CE of FFXV, PSVR bundle and then Sony is going to pop up a new old Console Re-vamp at 2017 Q1?

This is like the life of a crack addict, what is wrong? I just wanted Persona 5, and now I'm full of debts.

omonimo

Banned
By the way, business wise, I perfectly understood what sony want to do. PlayStation means safe money for them and they want to try to apply the smartphone business model on console, to see how it works. BUT Sony have to remember absolutely an important thing: an upgraded ps4 at higher price could be also ignored to the majority and not to generate substantial revenue. 499 bucks it's a dangerous edge. It has proven tons of time how this market it's not available to spend too much money in the hardware, whatever it's the specs.
The only real reason of the ps4 success it's the reasonable price compared to the specs. The raw power it's not a safe bet for the console success.

Papacheeks

Banned
PS4k don't allow them to go much bigger or better .
It's only 2 times the power games being 1080 or 60fps use up that power .
DICE don't make there engine to sell as i said Ubi and CD project engine will get better over time.

Correct they use it exclusively internally. But almost a majority of their developers use it. So it makes sense. ANd from what I hear it's a decenty optimized engine with great support.

"only twice the power" are you hearing yourself?

All it takes is a engine rewrite for us to see the big differences in each version of PS4 and PS4K made games.

vpance

Super PS4 this year? So long, PS VR.

That's a shame. PS4K VR combo will probably get some worthwhile exclusive features.

Cinema VR mode with a fully rendered environment instead of just a static screen in a black void will make it worth the $900.

Hexa

Is there a summary post of all the new information?

There is going to be a pretty small time gap between announcing it and launching it.
It is scheduled to be released this year before Christmas.
It will cost $499.
Price drop on original model will not be happening this year. May or may not happen next year.
An official name for the PS4K has been decided. OsirisBlack can not leak it though.
It is going to be smaller than the standard PS4 model available now.
Current SKU lists it as having 500GB.
No PSVR SKU.
His source for all this is upper managers at three of the top game retailers in the US.

I'll totally buy this and a big bad 4K Sony TV but the CPU is gonna need to be more than double the power for me to do so.

The current offering is woefully underpowered, so doubling that isn't exactly amazing.

Lingitiz

There is going to be a pretty small time gap between announcing it and launching it.
It will cost $499.
Price drop on original model will not be happening this year. May or may not happen next year.
An official name for the PS4K has been decided. OsirisBlack can not leak it though.
No PSVR SKU.
His source for all this is upper managers at three of the top game retailers in the US.

Fuck that's alot of money to spend on PS products this year...

I'll probably do it against my better judgment. Hope they have an easy way to transfer hard drive stuff over. Got a 2TB in my PS4 and don't want to lose that.

omonimo

Banned
It will cost $499.
No PSVR SKU.
60 fps will be mandatory on this console? Because I don't give a fuck to 4k. If it means 60 fps in every games forever, I'm in first line.

"only twice the power" are you hearing yourself?

All it takes is a engine rewrite for us to see the big differences in each version of PS4 and PS4K made games.

No it takes more than a engine rewrite for that to happen .
Twice the power is not much when we get to this stage .
It's the difference between 30fps to 60fps (sometimes you need more than twice) or 900p to 1080p along with some effects.
There is a difference but not like one that would come from a true next gen jump .

spwolf

There was also backlash when Sony announced 599$ for the PS3 and MS announced their kinect+DRM strategy, and those didn't turn out good. GAF isn't always right, but neither is it always wrong.

Actually, there wasnt this much backslash when PS3 at $599 come out... this is way more.

As to DRM, sure... more than this.

Alebrije

Guess this was going to be a big announcement on Sony's E3 conference, funny we got this leak and we do not anything about NX, it seems Nintendo's ninjas are doing well their job.

Actually, there wasnt this much backslash when PS3 at $599 come out... this is way more.

As to DRM, sure... more than this.

I won't even say it was backslash on PS3 , it's more of people making fun of Sony .
Along with saying people not going to buy it because it to expensive .

It's leaning more towards 499 instead of 399? Did something change in the last 50 pages? I think if they can keep it at $399 then it'd be for the best. I could only see $499 being a thing if the original PS4 never goes away and remains the cheap low end model for the rest of this generation.

MchugN

I don't even know anyone who owns a 4K tv yet. Why is this necessary right now?

You're right, maybe they should wait until you know someone that does have a 4K set before they release it.

Just kidding man, in reality they should release it because I myself have a 4K tv as do many others.

The God

Let's be honest with ourselves, shall we? If DLC, Season Passes, project $10, broken games at launch, paying for online functionality, unsupported games, pricing of digital distribution, and all the other myriad number of things that people have rightfully complained about haven't already pushed people out of the console market, the release of a box that supports new displays certainly won't either.

And the first video showcasing a new game upscaled to 4k on a flash 60" 4k display will pull them right back in.[

I doubt it.

Actually Apple has been doing this from the first iPhone all the way to iPhone 7 and beyond, so its expected from them to have iterative releases will complete backwards compatibility. However, this is the first time console makers are doing it after the failed attempts in 1990s so it's going to be a bit of a shock. This is the first time PlayStation and Xbox are getting iterative consoles and it understandably makes sense why folks are upset. Especially this soon, and at the high price of $499.

It's really not about others having something nicer.
To be fair, the latest phones cost just as much.Main difference being that you don't resort to being stuck in a 2 year contract and paying it off every month in addition to the monthly data.

Is anyone able to answer my question? Why would the base PS4 not dropping in price imply that the PS4K is $499? Thanks.

My guess is that it would make no sense for people to spend $349 for the PS4 if the PS4K is sitting right next to it at 50 extra dollars with more power and features. If the PS4K is $399, the OG PS4 has to be no more than $299. I think that $100 difference is enough for people to choose the low end model over the high end. But a $50 difference, I don't think even parents getting it for their kids or casual gamers would choose the OG PS4 over the PS4K.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Is anyone able to answer my question? Why would the base PS4 not dropping in price imply that the PS4K is $499? Thanks.
I guess it would be weird to have a machine that's practically 2x more powerful and also playing 4K Blurays cost only $50 more than regular PS4.

Another thing people here don't understand is that knowing there is a better version of a game on PS4 makes you feel inferior it's that inner feeling that's tell you what if I had the better version how much my experience would improve? This whole thing already making me uncomfortable about my base PS4... ugh

Oh, you will be feeling inferior regardless of a ps4k...when xbox 1.5 (or whatever Microsoft chooses to call it) gets released. Heh, if the rumors of NX being more powerful than ps4 turn out to be true, I shudder to think how inferior you will be feeling then.

Papacheeks

Banned
No it takes more than a engine rewrite for that to happen .
Twice the power is not much when we get to this stage .
It's the difference between 30fps to 60fps (sometimes you need more than twice) or 900p to 1080p along with some effects.
There is a difference but not like one that would come from a true next gen jump .

I'm not saying next gen leap I'm saying one that will be noticeable ENOUGH to the average Joe. Unlike what we have now between XBOX and PS4. Which is only noticeable to us and people who look for it purposely like digital foundry.

Its good they are not dropping the price of the og ps4 for a bit. That's a bone for early adopters to get the max trade in value for their current model at retailers it's something at least at $499 with maybe $200 in store credit puts the new model at $299 that's not bad for a nice little bump.

ZehDon

Yeah, but apparently everyone is kneejerk threatening to cancel their orders out of fear despite them saying that ps4k games will be compatible with the ps4.
Or you could read their posts. Like myself, many people cannot afford a $499 console and a $399 peripheral. Its one of the reasons we're console gamers. Because a PS4K will have more potential benefits for day-to-day gaming, cancelling a PSVR order to get a PS4K makes perfect sense for a lot of people. Because of this, the PS4K is going to cannibalise a lot of potential PSVR sales, and damage brand trust. Do we buy a PSVR, or wait for PSVR1.5? Do I buy a PS5 or wait for PS5.5 so I don't get burned again? For literally millions of gamers, it is the most logical, rational and cost effective decision.

My guess is that it would make no sense for people to not spend $349 for the PS4 if the PS4K is sitting right next to it at 50 extra dollars with more power and features. If the PS4K is $399, the OG PS4 has to be no more than $299. I think that $100 difference is enough for people to choose the low end model over the high end. But a $50 difference, I don't think even parents getting it for their kids or casual gamers would choose the OG PS4 over the PS4K.

I guess it would be weird to have a machine that's practically 2x more powerful and also playing 4K Blurays cost only $50 more than regular PS4.

Ah ok I see, thanks guys.

Oh, you will be feeling inferior regardless of a ps4k...when xbox 1.5 (or whatever Microsoft chooses to call it) gets released. Heh, if the rumors of NX being more powerful than ps4 turn out to be true, I shudder to think how inferior you will be feeling then.

This made me cringe. I personally hope the next Xbox is at least on par with the competition and Rift compatible. But let's wait til these are all released or at least announced before posting this type of bullshit.

I'm not saying next gen leap I'm saying one that will be noticeable ENOUGH to the average Joe. Unlike what we have now between XBOX and PS4. Which is only noticeable to us and people who look for it purposely like digital foundry.

We will see how this plays out but i don't expect a big difference .
Maybe Sony will try but i expect 3rd parties to bump the res and fps and some effects .
So it will be like X1 vs PS4 right now.

Or you could read their posts. Like myself, many people cannot afford a $499 console and a $399 peripheral. Its one of the reasons we're console gamers. Because a PS4K will have more potential benefits for day-to-day gaming, cancelling a PSVR order to get a PS4K makes perfect sense for a lot of people. Because of this, the PS4K is going to cannibalise a lot of potential PSVR sales, and damage brand trust. Do we buy a PSVR, or wait for PSVR1.5? Do I buy a PS5 or wait for PS5.5 so I don't get burned again? For literally millions of gamers, it is the most logical, rational and cost effective decision.

At some point in time you are going to have to jump in if you want to stay a console gamer .
Just like you do with everything else you buy and factors will be price ,enjoyment , games , friends etc etc .

Top Bottom