• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible PS vita 2 leak (Hardware specs are guessed by the leaker)

Zannegan

I also find it hard to believe that there really will be another handheld from Sony. Maybe they were surprised by the Steamdeck success and they want to reproduce it.
Seeing how the steamdeck is doing, I'd say it's possible.
Just curious, but why the Steam Deck (EDIT: as opposed to the Switch, which would be more similar and vastly more populat)?

I haven't been keeping up with sales, but I thought it was pretty small time still. When I got mine they were just over a million, iirc. Has it been gaining traction this whole time, or did OLED kick things into high gear?

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Just curious, but why the Steam Deck (EDIT: as opposed to the Switch, which would be more similar and vastly more populat)?

I haven't been keeping up with sales, but I thought it was pretty small time still. When I got mine they were just over a million, iirc. Has it been gaining traction this whole time, or did OLED kick things into high gear?
Because Steamdeck plays PC games at much lower settings and resolution. Games that are played on PC can also be played on Steamdeck.

if you could play PS5 digital games on console and a handheld you can easily entice people to buy a handheld. I'd consider it,

My only concern would be if the handheld causes the game to have worse PS5 versions. If that were the case then no I don't want it.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Vita was terrible and had no bite so that worries Sony but good news for them now is the time for powerful handhelds so that will give them hope.

Proelite

Day 0 but this is a lie.
high quality GIF

Bry0

The concept is really not that far fetched. As pointed out it’s literally a steam deck but locked to the PS ecosystem. What’s hard to believe about that? The tech is there now. Having x86 in a handheld form factor just wasn’t really feasible in 2012 like it is now.

Scalability and abstraction allows for pretty straightforward “porting” and knowing Sony they will purposely make it as easy as possible like they already have done with pro consoles at the hardware level.

Last edited:

Proelite

The concept is really not that far fetched. As pointed out it’s literally a steam deck but locked to the PS ecosystem. What’s hard to believe about that? The tech is there now. Having x86 in a handheld form factor just wasn’t really feasible in 2012 like it is now.

Scalability and abstraction allows for pretty straightforward “porting” and knowing Sony they will purposely make it as easy as possible like they already have done with pro consoles at the hardware level.

Exactly, and people are too hung up over the fact that it won't run PS5 games out of the box, when truthfully 95+% of the games played today on consoles are available on PS4 or is capable of being run on PS4.

Last edited:

Bond007

Judging by the low commitment i felt with their portables- i probably wont buy one again.
I loved my PSP and Vita- but ultimately felt like an after thought, kinda like VR now.

Last edited:

Proelite

Judging by the low commitment i felt with their portables- i probably wont buy one again.
I loved my PSP and Vita- but ultimately felt like an after thought, kinda like VR now.

If the PS4 you own suddenly became a portable with 3 hours of battery life, you won't use it?

Raonak

Banned
Honestly, just put direct PS6 <-> PSPortal2 connectivity with minial lag (WiiU) style which falls back to streaming when out of range.

I'd take that in a heartbeat over a portable that only plays old games.
We know sony won't make a completely different platform that developers have to support.

RayHell

The source is MooresLawisDead? lol. Close this thread... he doesn't know shit.
Videocardz.com, LTT and many others are often referencing his leaks because they are true most of the time. But I'll let people judge who's more credible. Him or you.

RayHell

With the success of the Switch, Steam deck and other windows devices tablet I'm actually surprised they didn't try earlier.

Last edited:

TAS

Sony would never have brought the Portal into existence if this were true. Sounds like BS.

Last edited:

Bry0

Videocardz.com, LTT and many others are often referencing his leaks because they are true most of the time. But I'll let people judge who's more credible. Him or you.
People confuse his personal speculation with his leaks I think.

sachos

It is a really sharp double edged sword. If they make a "Vita 2" as a companion device for the PS6 then it will end up sandbagging the PS6 native games since i expect they will want all those games to run on the Vita 2 too. Maybe the tech can evolve enough for a Vita 2 in 2028 that can run PS5 and PS6 games at low res.

Coconutt

Vita means life!!! Could it be that the portal did so well it convinced them to try at a proper handheld again?
beard GIF

Digital only with no proprietary storage or ports, and it might have some success, but I don't trust Sony to resist the temptation of using proprietary shit.
Not really the iPad is basically a fancy Netflix screen for alot of people. So Sony just has to copy that. 1TB 2TB models.

Then they can offer a battery & SSD combo in some pack like this, I would assume it would be a proprietary port for storage expansion. They probably have nightmares from PSP days.

MclYCWM.jpg

It most certainly will have a USB-C port for charging.

Well yeah of course they are! You can’t look at what Nintendo’s done with Switch and go, Naw let’s not jump in on that. 140 million units! The thing could become the second or first place highest-selling videogame platform of all time. And Sony’s got plenty of experience with handhelds.

It has to dock to a TV in a very user-friendly way. It has to use mass market expandable storage and not proprietary memory sticks, and it needs to have a strong library of software.

Not sure of the spec possibilities because I’m not super knowledgeable on the subject, but is it feasible that a PlayStation handheld launching in ~2026, launching at $400-$500, could run most PS5 games at 800p native res, with 2-3 hours of battery?

Because if so, that’s really compelling to me. I’d wait out on buying a PS5 console for that, personally.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I also find it hard to believe that there really will be another handheld from Sony.
Oh, I don’t find that hard to believe at all.

What I find hard to believe is that Sony would release a new handheld that they actually supported.

Proelite

It is a really sharp double edged sword. If they make a "Vita 2" as a companion device for the PS6 then it will end up sandbagging the PS6 native games since i expect they will want all those games to run on the Vita 2 too. Maybe the tech can evolve enough for a Vita 2 in 2028 that can run PS5 and PS6 games at low res.

I'm of the opinion that these handhelds should not be the baseline of a new gen and should only exist as a BC, retro, indie, cloud devices. In fact it should come free with three to six months of PS premium.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Sony can barely support the PS5 with 1st party titles. I don't see them splitting development efforts again.

no-way-jose-aimee-garcia.gif

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I wonder if people would buy a Sony handheld that literally just played PS4 games. Doesn’t really seem like something they’d do, but I’d personally buy a PS4table.

Proelite

You’re just begging for another bet aren’t you? 😂

They already have the Portal, I don’t see them making another handheld within 2 years. And I wouldn’t place my money on MLID.

Portal is an accessory, not a console. It's not going to move a minimum 15-20 million units like a PS4 Portable will.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

I also find it hard to believe that there really will be another handheld from Sony. Maybe they were surprised by the Steamdeck success and they want to reproduce it.

If true, apparently the meh reception to PSVR2 hasn't phased them.

They'll fuck it up somehow though. They always do.

Loxus

That’s moving the requirements. 😉

Personally I just don’t see a Sony handheld that could play PS5 games natively till like 2026-27 just from cost.
Rumor did say it is supposed to be a part of the PS6 family, so I would expect it to release after the PS6.

PS6 is said to be releasing in 2028, so this handheld should be released around 2030.

Eimran

I have no faith in Sony when it comes to handhelds.
I still didn't forgive them what they did (or didn't) with the Vita.

StereoVsn

Rumor did say it is supposed to be a part of the PS6 family, so I would expect it to release after the PS6.

PS6 is said to be releasing in 2028, so this handheld should be released around 2030.
There is no way they are designing a handheld right now for 2030. It’s too far out and tech will change too much. No point of trying to do this more then 2-3 years ahead really.

Loxus

There is no way they are designing a handheld right now for 2030. It’s too far out and tech will change too much. No point of trying to do this more then 2-3 years ahead really.
The PS6 development started right after the PS5 released.
What you talking bout?

I wonder if people would buy a Sony handheld that literally just played PS4 games. Doesn’t really seem like something they’d do, but I’d personally buy a PS4table.
I guess a budget PS4 Mini aimed primarily at emerging markets could make sense. There, and probably also in rich countries, is probably a market for people that only want/can spend 149 or less and need also older games with reduced prices to afford gaming at all. For these a new discless PS4 as a Plus catalogue player might be perfect and as a byproduct the hw could also be packaged into a handheld. Maybe also power an untethered VR2 some people seem to be adamant about it being a gamechanger. But with VR1 being incompatible with VR2 having PS4 power would be kinda pointless.
Makes no sense to waste R&D money on yet another piece of hardware that they keep failing at.

I think they’re just fucking with fans with this rumor.
They release their phones and sell barely any of them. Phones evolve barely in the last years, Sony themselves probably doing mostly only photo sensor stuff, but all the available phone components can be used for everything a handheld needs.
The R&D for a handheld is asking AMD what they already have or could adapt to run PS4 compatibility and then Cerny making a talk about what he/Sony wanted.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
There's a chance that is a PS5 handheld, but with a minimum spec to run the same stuff

The hybrid formula is confirmed to run. Switch still is selling crazy well, the Deck is selling well... It's a good thing

StereoVsn

The PS6 development started right after the PS5 released.
What you talking bout?
Development is one thing, but PS6 hardware is still likely not finalized since they depends on the foundry process efficiency and cost cutting.

Whatever they are doing with dev and prototypes right now wouldn’t have exact number of CUs or CPU cores unlike this rumor.

I.E. This rumor is likely BS.

Interfectum

You can believe what you want, but this is pure clown shit to drive traffic... the dude leaves himself a ton of outs should this not pan out. Hell Sony could announce a PS Portal 2 that does local and global streaming and he could be like "ahh so this is what it turned into!"

Loxus

Development is one thing, but PS6 hardware is still likely not finalized since they depends on the foundry process efficiency and cost cutting.

Whatever they are doing with dev and prototypes right now wouldn’t have exact number of CUs or CPU cores unlike this rumor.

I.E. This rumor is likely BS.
Pretty much sure the dude said specs are him speculating.

Top Bottom