• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break PC performance thread

Vuze

The IQ on PC seems pretty bad.
Quantum-Break-PC_2.png

Quantum-Break-PC_1.png

Does not look like native 1080p to me, same reconstruction technique used on Xbox One ?
wtf is this blurry mess <_<
And why would they use the same disturbing reconstruction technique as on console... atleast make it an option.

Also 70 Euro. lmao.

RexNovis

Banned
It's not going to be truly native, whatever you do, because there's always going to be upscaling, even if you then downscale afterwards.

WTF so even downsampling won't make it render a native res image? Really? So basically they are forcing upscaling on all resolutions. How the hell dues that make any sense?

Because the game engine uses reconstruction by default. The resolution is merely the final output in this case, not the actual native resolution like in pretty much any PC games.

But why would you lock in some bizarre image reconstruction in a PC game? Why not make it a toggle or something like anything else that would effect image quality?

EvB

Sounds like it's always using temporal reconstruction. So whatever resolution you choose, the game "acheives" it but reconstructing lower resolution frames.

So you gotta pick something higher than what you want the games native resolution to be.

When you are choosing resolution, you are essential choosing the final output, not the native res... Not sure why they don't set the menu to reflect native res, even if the temporal reconstruction was mandatory.

The artifacts that the temporal output produces on the Xbox is often visible when characters walk across a static camera. I don't see why it would be any less obvious to the hardcore 4K trained eyes of Neogaf's PC owners

edit: *slaps forehead* DSR screenshots are of the pre downscaled image. I knew this and forgot. never mind.

Thanks for putting me straight on this Dictator.

aeolist

Banned
No worries, there's a lot of FUD around UWAs because they're pretty terrible. People blame them for just about everything and claim they can't do things that they can regularly. I mean, there are major issues with them all the same, like I said... but I'm sick and tired of telling people gsync works with them for example, because the claim it doesn't refuses to go away.

They're bad. But people make out they're worse, and seem to blame every issue any PC game that's a UWA has on it being a UWA.

I love Remedy, but they're on the hook for not letting us disable this lower than native reconstruction thing if indeed that's the case. If turning off AA disables it and gives you native (albeit with aliasing), I'm going to laugh so hard.

given the consistency with which we're seeing UWP port issues i think it's reasonable to speculate that microsoft's tools might hold at least some of the blame

maybe it's possible to make a totally competent and feature complete UWP game but the fact that we haven't seen it so far with anything that's got a bigger scope than angry birds should give us all pause

nynt9

WTF so even downsampling won't make it render a native res image? Really? So basically they are forcing upscaling on all resolutions. How the hell dues that make any sense?

But why would you lock in some bizarre image reconstruction in a PC game? Why not make it a toggle or something like anything else that would effect image quality?

Their rendering pipeline might be built around the whole thing... but then again there should have been an option to adjust the internal rendering resolution in addition to the option of adjusting the final resolution.

jony_m

Ouch, that's almost unplayable then. I also have a 980ti with 6700k, thought i could get something better than this. At 2k looks too blurry though.

We should be able to hit locked 30 by turning down some settings, turning off AA and AO.

I will play around later when I get back home.. that may be the way to go.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
What a pity. I think I'll avoid this. I was really looking forward to this.

I'm very unimpressed with this UWP initiative.

GHG

We should be able to hit locked 30 by turning down some settings, turning off AA and AO.

When you do please post some screens with everything maxed but with AA off.

part of what's happening here is that DSR is being done with smoothness 0 on a non scalar factor. that's only part of it though. 4x DSR (IE, 4K downscaled to 1080p) always looks much sharped than anything else to me for this exact reason. You get these weird uneven jaggies unless you turn the smoothing thing up a bit, because certain pixels are being split in half (ie, 4 pixels become one pixel with 4x DSR, but 2.5 pixels become one pixel at 2.5 DSR).

But there's absolutely something sub native happening here as well.

DSR's downsampling filter (the gaussian smoothing) does not apply to screenshots taken with it. Rather, it just outputs the native resolution.

All my downsampled screenshots are always just at the native resolution without any of the filtering on them.

I'm having trouble understanding. If I had the game(which I won't unless I can get it someday after it's been patches many times and it won't cost me more than $10)and set it to 1080p, it's not actually 1080p?

Mifec

I'm having trouble understanding. If I had the game(which I won't unless I can get it someday after it's been patches many times and it won't most me more than $10)and set it to 1080p, it's not actually 1080p?

Yeah it's a lower res upscaled the same way the XBONE version is.

given the consistency with which we're seeing UWP port issues i think it's reasonable to speculate that microsoft's tools might hold at least some of the blame

maybe it's possible to make a totally competent and feature complete UWP game but the fact that we haven't seen it so far with anything that's got a bigger scope than angry birds should give us all pause

You've got a couple of things happening. You've got UWA's actual issues like no SLI support. No injection based mods. No disabling vsync. Etc. Then you've got developers getting to grips with a whole new API in DX12 in most cases, which is also going to compound things. In this case you've got an engine designed for consoles that's being doing this reconstruction thing for ages being ported to PC.

I don't know their engine, so I don't know how easy it is to give players the choice of disabling it, but adding a toggle to remove a graphical effect isn't something UWA is going to get in the way of.

If this game supported some of DX12s multi gpu options, then I'd be pretty happy with it. My 3 980s would likely allow me to DSR and the game would look fantastic. But it doesn't... and so we're stuck with whatever options the developers decide to give us, as they try to get to grips with UWAs and a new API.

Hopefully some of this gets resolved. I do not find it encouraging that none of the MS published UWAs are using any of DX12s multi gpu things though yet that I am aware of, unless Forza Apex does.

DSR's downsampling filter (the gaussian smoothing) does not apply to screenshots taken with it. Rather, it just outputs the native resolution.

All my downsampled screenshots are always just at the native resolution without any of the filtering on them.

Ah, yeah. Ignore all that then. Thanks for reminding me. I'll edit my post.

shandy706

I can't believe Remedy left this crap reconstruction tech on PC.

Dear God.

If they built the game from the ground up with it...it may take one heck of an effort to "fix". This looks like a true exclusive that was a straight port later on.

Now I'm just curious as to how it runs on my PC. I'll download it ASAP. Glad I can play it fine on my X1, the game is excellent. Shame people are struggling with it.

I'll report in once I test drive on PC.

Wow it's an even bigger dumpster fire than we were led to believe from the early impressions. Incredible. What a great start for UWP, Microsoft.

I don't think much of this has to do with UWP.

I can play KI at 4k and 60fps+. I can also exit that game on the main menu. Nothing to do with UWP.

Samaritan

Wow it's an even bigger dumpster fire than we were led to believe from the early impressions. Incredible. What a great start for UWP, Microsoft.

Guess there's not much hope for better looking shadows and high res volumetric lighting effects either right?

There's shadow options in the menu, no doubt they go higher than Xbox.

Also this was probably rushed out too soon by MS, I would wait for patches before touching this.

epmode

or instead of mentioning UWA the devs could just do their job,

there should be no need to rely on community members to fix any issues (if there are any)

most of the problems UWA games have launched with (not that ive experienced any) can easily just be chalked up to poor dev work

"Poor dev work" happens with Win32 games as well, yet those are fixable by endusers!

Please don't ignore the fact that simply being a UWP app introduces severe technical restrictions not found with Win32.

What did KI's issues have to do with UWP? Probably their best and most competent release to date.

At launch at least (don't know if it's better now), the game logic was tied to your monitors refresh rate so you had to change it every time you booted up the game and people with 30hz monitors were SOL

Kezen

Banned
I'm having trouble understanding. If I had the game(which I won't unless I can get it someday after it's been patches many times and it won't cost me more than $10)and set it to 1080p, it's not actually 1080p?

No. It's reconstructed 1080p, internal 720p or thereabout.

Älg

Granted, the issue at hand here is IQ, and we have no idea if that has anything to do with UWP. My guess is that it the two aren't related.

Not saying that UWP isn't bad

No. It's reconstructed 1080p, internal 720p or thereabout.

I guess it depends on how much MSAA is being used, but if I think about it right... something like 1620p would look like a really nice 1920X1080... with much better geometric edges than most games.
Ah, yeah. Ignore all that then. Thanks for reminding me. I'll edit my post.

Yeah, np.

I know what you mean btw though with the downsampling filter in DSR. Unless it is a direct pixel line up (4 to 1 for example), you can get weird looking chunkieness or sharpness... especially if you set the smooothness below the default 33% value.

LordRaptor

If they built the game from the ground up with it...it may take one heck of an effort to "fix". This looks like a true exclusive that was a straight port later on.

I can't speak with authority on how their engine works, but it seems counter intuitive to me that any manipulation of a source resolution frame buffer is less effort than directly rendering at a specified resolution.

Xbudz

The special effects are insane. This game looks stunning when using those time powers.
While I'd like to see the effects run at native res, I can't help but think it would cause fps dips on a bunch of machines.

"Poor dev work" happens with Win32 games as well, yet those are fixable by endusers!

Please don't ignore the fact that simply being a UWP app introduces severe technical restrictions not found with Win32.

Remedy are on the hook for the state the game is currently in. UWA is to blame for us being stuck without other options. Complaining about UWAs preventing injectors etc needs to continue until Microsoft fix it...

but in the meantime I want the fire held to Remedy's feet so they understand that *they* need to fix this. I mean, I'm hopeful they will because they added a lot of big improvements to the Alan Wake PC port after the initial release, but even if Durante could fix this... he shouldn't have to. As great as it is that someone else can save the day normally, fixing the game is still something Remedy should be expected to do.

Is the "reconstructed 1080p" something that can be fixed? I'm assuming no because it's been hard coded into the engine/rendering tech? The IQ in some of these shots is piss poor.

At launch at least (don't know if it's better now), the game logic was tied to your monitors refresh rate so you had to change it every time you booted up the game and people with 30hz monitors were SOL

This had nothing to do with UWA though. Again the only UWA related issue was that a third party couldn't fix it and that any patch from the devs would take a little longer because it has to go through certification. The issue was entirely poor testing from the devs, and a bug they caused. Nothing about UWA caused the problem.

Samaritan

Älg;200215186 said:
Granted, the issue at hand here is IQ, and we have no idea if that has anything to do with UWP. My guess is that it the two aren't related.

Oh I definitely wasn't alleging it has anything to do with UWP, but so far UWP has been a hot mess and this isn't helping, which I can only cheer about. While it's a shame this port is pretty measly from the sounds of things, if it helps drive more people away from UWP exclusives, then good.

GHG

Damn it. Looks like the internal resolution is not locked to the AA option.

Thanks for doing this.

Is the "reconstructed 1080p" something that can be fixed? I'm assuming no because it's been hard coded into the engine/rendering tech? The IQ in some of these shots is piss poor.

Yes it should be able to be fixed. If not by them then by mods. But UWP doesn't allow mods so unless they fix it we are SOL.

Kezen

Banned
I guess it depends on how much MSAA is being used, but if I think about it right... something like 1620p would look like a really nice 1920X1080... with much better geometric edges than most games.
No doubt as this would mean native 1080p, but what about performance ? What is baffling is that it seems to be very unstable in its current form even at upscaled 1080p.

ramshot

First impressions with 6700k@4.6, 980Ti STRIX, 16G DDR4/2400.

First impressions are not good. I am standing where the gameplay starts.

-Using fullscreen with 1440p is a slideshow, with GPU usage jumping between 100% and 10% wildly. There's is obviously something very wrong here, it's not a matter of performance.

-It's better if I either
a) Disable fullscreen - who wants to play with window border...
b) Lower the resolution to 1080p, in which I'm looking at around 60% GPU usage in the staring scene. I'd love to tell you what FPS I'm getting, but even running Afterburner on my second monitor doesn't show fps. UWP to thank, I suppose.
c) Limit to 30fps. Then it runs fine... for 30 fps.

-Game is REALLY VRAM hungry. Up to 5 gigs used instant in 1440p, 4 gigs at 1080p.

-Really hard to say anything about IQ between 1080p and 1440p, since 1440p is such a slideshow. With all the blur effects etc going on, it's hard to pay attention to details if the framerate isn't high enough.

Since I've seen people post about using 1440p and not having this severe slideshow issue (I am talking about 2-3 fps), I'd welcome any ideas on what might be wrong at my end. Going to try disabling my second monitor now.

Thx for these. Still reconstructed with AA set to off. This is some internal option not exposed to the user.

In fact, AA set to off elminiates the blur that makes seeing it that much harder.... here it is very obvious though.
hair3hdu8l.png

kodecraft

Now I'm just curious as to how it runs on my PC. I'll download it ASAP. Glad I can play it fine on my X1, the game is excellent. Shame people are struggling with it.

I'll report in once I test drive on PC.

I don't think much of this has to do with UWP.

I can play KI at 4k and 60fps+. I can also exit that game on the main menu. Nothing to do with UWP.

That makes sense.

ApharmdX

Banned
Eh...

I’ve had some time to test Quantum Break for PC and unfortunately, so far it’s been another disappointment. The test rig is 4K ready: i7 3770 CPU, 16GB RAM and 2xGTX 980Ti. With this computer I was able to play Rise of the Tomb Raider (the Steam version) at 4K with max settings staying close to 60FPS, and Tom Clancy’s The Division at 1440P with max settings and close to 60FPS frame rate.

However, since my 4K display is currently on its way to ASUS for a replacement I had to reinstall my 1080P display. The bad news is that Quantum Break at maximum settings doesn’t run well at all, even with this configuration, at FullHD resolution.

Read more: http://wccftech.com/quantum-break-pc-disappointment-microsoft/#ixzz44y0dVPZA

giphy.gif

That's... not good. Not good at all.

sertopico

Thx.
Yes, in order to play at 4k you need to find the right compromise, I am also currently downloading now but it will be over in 6 hrs, maybe more (reached almost 10 GB in 2 hrs and downloading at 1.5MB/s). As soon as it finishes I will give my impressions, if anybody's interested of course. :D

Älg;200215186 said:

If it wasn't using UWP though, we could presumably use something like DeGaSaTo to raise the internal resolution, right?

Since i'm in the 770 2gb club (sigh) and i don't want to upgrade until Pascal, do you think i should not buy the game? I am not a graphic maniac, all i want is to play the game in an acceptable way (no eye-bleeding inducing textures, no stutter).
I am really hyped and i don't mind the (ridiculous) price tag.

-Using fullscreen with 1440p is a slideshow, with GPU usage jumping between 100% and 10% wildly. There's is obviously something very wrong here, it's not a matter of performance.

-It's better if I either
b) Lower the resolution to 1080p, in which I'm looking at around 60% GPU usage in the staring scene. I'd love to tell you what FPS I'm getting, but even running Afterburner on my second monitor doesn't show fps. UWP to thank, I suppose.

-Game is REALLY VRAM hungry. Up to 5 gigs used instant in 1440p, 4 gigs at 1080p.

-Really hard to say anything about IQ between 1080p and 1440p, since 1440p is such a slideshow. With all the blur effects etc going on, it's hard to pay attention to details if the framerate isn't high enough.

Since I've seen people post about using 1440p and not having this severe slideshow issue (I am talking about 2-3 fps), I'd welcome any ideas on what might be wrong at my end. Going to try disabling my second monitor now.

Sounds like you might be running into VRAM limits at 1440p. What happens if you drop textures to medium?

If it wasn't using UWP though, we could presumably use something like DeGaSaTo to raise the internal resolution, right?

Right. That's what people are doing with DSR, essentially so there is still an option. But it's possible an injector could do something a bit less brute force.

Kezen

Banned

-It's better if I either

Hopefully you can get a refund. This is unacceptable performance especially considering this is not native 1080p or 1440p.

No doubt as this would mean native 1080p, but what about performance ? What is baffling is that it seems to be very unstable in its current form even at upscaled 1080p.

Yeah, it is baffling. I have no idea what is with the performance. Perhaps the MSAA step in all of this is really expensive.

Top Bottom