• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal updated mysteriously, internet detectives assemble-read OP 1st if you have ?'s

jarosh

raviolico said:

credits to the steam/portal forum.

not sure of this....
isn't that new ascii art much more likely to correspond to this somehow...

sFEKz.png

Chris R

So how fucking awesome would it be if in portal 2 the gun not only allows you to bridge space but time too. Think how bad ass the puzzles would be if you could use the portals to go back in time or forward in time (like being able to see yourself in the past creating portals or platforming :lol )

Go go arg nerds!!!

Cohsae

Red Scarlet said:
Well, whatever Valve is doing is really bringing interest back to the game!
Is any other company as good at this as Valve? TF2's audience would probably have stopped growing a long time ago if they hadn't been constantly updating the game (in some cases changing it radically), putting out Meet the Team vids, hilarious blog updates, free weekends etc.
They really know how to keep people coming back, and to keep drawing in new players. It's a pity that many developers will never get a chance to try this kind of stuff, at least nowhere near to the extent that Valve can.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Red Scarlet said:
So you hear the song throughout the game now instead of at the end?

Well, whatever Valve is doing is really bringing interest back to the game!
Has anyone here gotten all the radios?

There's only a couple of radios in the game normally, the one easiest to spot being the one in the very first chamber you wake up in. It has a little Still Alive jingle.

Copies of this radio have been scattered throughout the game via this update. There's 21 or so in total. The radios have a little red light on them. If you carry the radio to a hot spot area they will start to pick up static, and eventually in that hot spot you'll find a solid signal. The light will turn green and you'll hear either Morse code or strange buzzing.

Apart from being a cool secret, they serve as a whole new layer of challange. Not only do you have to find the radios scattered throughout the game, and reach them, but also find their hot spots where they will pick up their signals.

Its fully sick mad awesome.

Red Scarlet

EatChildren said:
There's only a couple of radios in the game normally, the one easiest to spot being the one in the very first chamber you wake up in. It has a little Still Alive jingle.

Copies of this radio have been scattered throughout the game via this update. There's 21 or so in total. The radios have a little red light on them. If you carry the radio to a hot spot area they will start to pick up static, and eventually in that hot spot you'll find a solid signal. The light will turn green and you'll hear either Morse code or strange buzzing.

Apart from being a cool secret, they serve as a whole new layer of challange. Not only do you have to find the radios scattered throughout the game, and reach them, but also find their hot spots where they will pick up their signals.

Its fully sick mad awesome.

Neat, I should play through it again in a couple days then.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So let me see if I have this straight:

Valve does a stealth update to portal with patch notes mentioning something about transmissions. There are now radios throughout the game that, when taken past certain points, send out a transmission containing morse code messages, which appear to involve usernames and passwords etc.

In addition, the sound files contain embedded images including numbers that make up a phone number that connects to a "GlaDOS" BBS which asks for a username and password. when you put in "backup" for both, the thing goes crazy with garbled text from "C. Johnson" from aperture science and some old school ANSI images of portal and possibly half-life related business.

Is that about right?

Oh and the GlaDOS version from the BBS is 3.11 which possibly corresponds to announcement Valve could make at GDC on March 11. Anything else?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Htown said:

Valve does a stealth update to portal with patch notes mentioning something about transmissions. There are now radios throughout the game that, when taken past certain points, send out a transmission containing morse code messages, which appear to involve usernames and passwords etc.

In addition, the sound files contain embedded images including numbers that make up an md5 sum, which resolves to a phone number that connects to a "GlaDOS" BBS which asks for a username and password. when you put in "backup" for both, the thing goes crazy with garbled text from "C. Johnson" from aperture science and some old school ANSI images of portal and possibly half-life related business.

Is that about right?

Oh and the GlaDOS version from the BBS is 3.11 which possibly corresponds to announcement Valve could make at GDC on March 11. Anything else?

More as it develops!

Htown said:

In addition, the sound files contain embedded images including numbers that make up an md5 sum, which resolves to a phone number that connects to a "GlaDOS" BBS which asks for a username and password. when you put in "backup" for both, the thing goes crazy with garbled text from "C. Johnson" from aperture science and some old school ANSI images of portal and possibly half-life related business.

Is that about right?

JEEEESSSSSSSUUUUUUUSSSSSS

Valve is great.

Htown said:

Is that about right?

So who are the employees at valve who 'noticed' it first? If normal humans figured this out by themselves, they need to never work for the government...

Salacious Crumb

POWERSPHERE said:
So who are the employees at valve who 'noticed' it first? If normal humans figured this out by themselves, they need to never work for the government...

Most of the people trying to solve the mystery would be ARG veterans and everything so far seems to be typical ARG stuff, It's just more awesome cause it contains HL universe lore :)

EatChildren

POWERSPHERE said:

Noticed what? It all started with the update for Portal, which everybody got and was listed on Steam. It also added the "Transmission Received" achievement, which people quickly realised equated to the radios scattered throughout the game (since they now had a light).

And from then it cascaded into file digging, decoding, and nerdism maximus.

EatChildren

I knew I liked you for a reason neva.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Heh.

Top of the second column about test subjects. Child orphans and foundlings. Wasn't there some stuff about Bring Your Daughter to Work Day in the first Portal?

EatChildren

Htown said:
Heh.

Top of the second column about test subjects. Child orphans and foundlings. Wasn't there some stuff about Bring Your Daughter to Work Day in the first Portal?

Second picture from the top on the far right is pretty interesting. Adult's hand with a test tube, and a child's hand reaching out. A pair of eyes, glasses, and a mouth.

Jex

This is well done from a marketing perspectie and makes me wish my Portal as on PC, not 360. Ah well looks like I'll be staying tuned to this thread.

jarosh

maybe valve is making us part of the story and we're the ones resurrecting glados by dialing into the bbs and "answering" her emergency calls :O

edit: holy fuck i feel stupid. that's pretty much exactly what the guy in the link right above me is saying. should have read that first

Yeah, can we get a blown up top second column?

I can't see what it says.

This entire pic helps out a lot neva.

Bottom third column is definitely an Aperture lab room.

Instro

UltimaPooh said:
Yeah, can we get a blown up top second column?

I can't see what it says.

This entire pic helps out a lot neva.

Bottom third column is definitely an Aperture lab room.

Here you go

-- WARNING: UNDISCOVERED CORRUPTION IN ERROR CORRECTION ( ABEND 143 )

---- BEGIN RECORD 'C:\05083881.801\04186850.542' (1751 BYTES) ----

CONFIDENTIAL

October 17th, 1976

Re: Human Enrichment & Testing Initiative, Resource Acquisitions

1. "Low Risk" Human Resource Acquisitions

a. Hoboes and Tramps

Lives spent wandering aimlessly, cowering before authority, and drinking

concussive amounts of home-distilled potato alcohol make hoboes the perfect

Human Enrichment test subjects. The hobo questions nothing, will follow orders

if fed, and, like all hoboes, has a restless, wandering heart. (Note: The

wandering heart of the hobo should not be confused with Drifting Heart

Syndrome, which several transients contracted during testing.)

b. Child Orphans and Foundlings

Deep-rooted abandonment issues leave most orphans highly susceptible to

shame-based psychology (for a complete list of opportune moments to obliterate

the esteem of test subjects, please consult Training Video #89-D, "You'd

Perform This Test Better if You Had Parents"). Recent advances in the use of

scorn, flattery used in an ironic context and naked contempt as motivational

tools have yielded similarly profitable results.

c. Psychiatric Patients

Past experience shows these fellows are simply not shy at all about carrying

on, disrupting tests and defecating just about anywhere that pleases them.

Frankly, itís off-putting, and small wonder why Aperture-brand mental

institutions are being phased out in favor of more orphanages.

d. Seniors

Frail, brittle hands make holding science devices difficult. Most were born

before the advent of science, and can become confused and disoriented when

asked to participate in relatively simple tests (teleportation, invisibility,

adjusting esteem levels of orphan children).

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Man its great to see people with more knowledge/creativity/skills figure this stuff out. Reminds me of the ilovebees thing Bungie did.

Top Bottom