• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer May Cover Reveal: Final Fantasy XV

JunkoEve

Yuki Matsuzawa. You should look him up. His stuff's great.

Thanks! Is he also the one who drew the picture at the end of Duscae demo ending? The one with Luna in rags and the city of Insomnia in shambles + the prophecy portrait with 4 guys and the summons?

.JayZii

Banned
if the dude is practically killing himself over the game I'm not sure the work culture has improved very much
The process either kills you, drives you mad, or turns you into a Nomura-level diva.

I hope he has some downtime after FFXV wraps up.

wmlk

Thanks! Is he also the one who drew the picture at the end of Duscae demo ending? The one with Luna in rags and the city of Insomnia in shambles + the prophecy portrait with 4 guys and the summons?

Nope, that was Isamu Kamikokuryo, one of the Art Directors for this game.

Matsuzawa drew the concept art where Regis holds a young Noctis, and another one where Luna brushes away the imperial troops and takes a trident from her attendant.

EDIT: Kamikokuryo drew the one where Luna was in Insomnia. Matsuzawa drew the one for the prophecy portrait you're talking about.

See this interview:

"You'd be appalled," says Hajime Tabata, director of Final Fantasy Type-0 HD and Final Fantasy 15. "Just as a reference, I sleep maybe three hours each day. It's difficult every day ..."

"There is a sense that this is shortening my lifespan. But it's all worth it."

"I knew whatever lifespan I'd already shortened with Type-0 would be even further shortened with 15," Tabata says. "But after a minute or two of thinking it over, I thought, 'That shouldn't be much of a problem.'"

It's not just sleep Tabata is sacrificing, either. As a husband, and as a father to a daughter in kindergarten, he says the time he spends at home never feels like enough. He cranks into the early hours of the morning during the week in order to spend his weekends playing with his daughter or eating with his wife. His own alone time is nearly non-existent, pushed back into the hours he spends in the car on the way to work.
Final Fantasy Type-0

"In the car, I listen to music," Tabata says. "That's all I really do. In essence, that's the only place where I listen to music now."

Yet by taking on these projects — and by tackling Final Fantasy 15 specifically — Tabata feels that the reward will outweigh the work.

"I can finally kind of be on the same battlefield as some of the globally popular AAA titles, the major hits," Tabata says. "That's been one of the best feelings that's come from working on this."

There's something special about watching Final Fantasy fans get excited, too, he says. Tabata says it's worth all the struggle when a game is finally released and feedback comes pouring in. Criticism is only a temporary setback, and it inspires him want to work harder. But the real joy is finding the players who enjoy the team's work.

[...]

"I think it was at that point that I started to feel like it's OK — it's really not a big deal if I'm shortening my lifespan to bring enjoyment to others. That's when my mindset started to change."

[...]

"I put everything into all the titles that I create," Tabata says. "Final Fantasy sticks in many people's memories, so ... if I'm bringing a positive outlook to those who are playing it, if I'm delivering a positive experience — then I guess yes, it'll be great to be remembered as someone who was part of the franchise.

"It's really the drive to create the best experience. Something that surpasses everything ... That's just what Final Fantasy development is like."​
Does Sakurai have it this bad?

JunkoEve

Nope, that was Isamu Kamikokuryo, one of the Art Directors for this game.

Matsuzawa drew the concept art where Regis holds a young Noctis, and another one where Luna brushes away the imperial troops and takes a trident from her attendant.

EDIT: Kamikokuryo drew the one where Luna was in Insomnia. Matsuzawa drew the one for the prophecy portrait you're talking about.

Wow, thank you. So it's:

Matsuzawa: Regis and kid Noctis, Luna and Gentiana, Noct in suit with Regis, prophecy portrait

Kamikokuryo: Luna in Insomnia

Thanks!

Koozek

Lol, nice "easter egg" (thanks to @RedMakuzawa):
Solomon Ring from FFVIII possibly used to inspire the royal Lucis ring in FFXV. Sounds pretty cool. (Via @Finaland_)​
CfmJgsKUIAI51xR.jpg

Exentryk

The idea is to create an array of enemies that feel real (and deadly) in the world.

Enemy attack patterns were also impacted by this thought process. In other action-driven games, a monster might tele-graph its next move clearly – like keeping a paw raised for a second before striking, or sweeping in an easily dodged arc. The Behemoth juts its claws out quickly and ferociously like a predator, making its attacks difficult to avoid.

“Some people said, ‘If we do it that way, then it won’t really be much of a game,’” Hasegawa says. “But then Tabata-san said, ‘Disregard that. Create a living creature.’ So we’ve spent evenings watching videos and studying them.”

Man, I hope Tabata doesn't get to direct any more big games. His philosophy towards gameplay is terrible. He'd be better off doing a movie or some documentary.

Solomon Ring from FFVIII possibly used to inspire the royal Lucis ring in FFXV. Sounds pretty cool. (Via @Finaland_)​
CfmJgsKUIAI51xR.jpg

Just came here to post this. You beat me :p

Here's a photo of the Square Enix Merchandise version for comparison
CfmI-MmWQAApC4U.jpg:large

VERY cool reference

FF8 and FF15 same world confirmed haha

When does this go on sale? I checked my local GS today and it was still gears 4.
Edit: the magazine

Mine just got the Gears issue in stock on March 22nd so they don't expect the next one til about the same time :[

Samimista

Just came here to post this. You beat me :p

Here's a photo of the Square Enix Merchandise version for comparison

VERY cool reference

FF8 and FF15 same world confirmed haha

Gotta say, I'm not one for jewelry, but there's something about rings on a chain I like.

I don't have the money right now for the Ring of Lucii, though I'll purchase it sometime after XV's release. I've always wanted to get Rinoa's necklace featuring the two rings, but I don't think Enix has official ones. =/

Agree with you on the cool reference, by the way. <3 One of the reasons why I'm loving XV is because its art style (particularly with the landscape) reminds me of VIII which is my favorite FF. :)

Dark_castle

Man, I hope Tabata doesn't get to direct any more big games. His philosophy towards gameplay is terrible. He'd be better off doing a movie or some documentary.

That's an interesting quote. Perhaps it would explain why many people find the dodging in this game tricky to master, since enemy don't telegraph their attacks very much like in other action games. This is fine, but Noctis's attack has a lot of locked animation, and when you put the two together, it kinda makes for an uneven experience.

wmlk

That's an interesting quote. Perhaps it would explain why many people find the dodging in this game tricky to master, since enemy don't telegraph their attacks very much like in other action games. This is fine, but Noctis's attack has a lot of locked animation, and when you put the two together, it kinda makes for an uneven experience.
It's weird considering humanoid enemies definitely have tells.

It's weird considering humanoid enemies definitely have tells.

I suppose it emphasizes the value of hold to defend. Optimal to use when approaching a powerful enemy when you don't know what they're capable of yet. I suspect most of the must-manual-dodge-to-evade moves will have more of a tell.

JunkoEve

I need help

Any other link where I can buy this digitally?

My local bookstore does not carry this issue.....

The GI website says this:

"Sorry for the inconvenience, but there’s an error with your location. Our diligent code monkeys have received this error, and if they are unable to fix it, they will be…dealt with."

The google play app says this:

"This app is incompatible with all of your devices."

Any advice?

Thanks

wmlk

I suppose it emphasizes the value of hold to defend. Optimal to use when approaching a powerful enemy when you don't know what they're capable of yet. I suspect most of the must-manual-dodge-to-evade moves will have more of a tell.

I don't know about most, but I think it holds true for certain enemies like the Iron Giant. The hold-to-defend has its advantages if attacks aren't always telegraphed.

CfmJgsKUIAI51xR.jpg

Inspiration... possible. Though it's clearly a reference to King Solomon, who was given a magical ring by the Archangel Michael that allowed him to command demons to do his will. In demonology, these inlcuded the 72 demons of the Goetia, one of which is Glasya-Labolas(which is the Japanese name for Doomtrain).

So I know Tabata said they won't be in, but
There's a section in the article that says "Other familiar enemies we noticed include the Malboro, Cactuar, Tonberry, and Naga
So are they in or not?

Simo

There's a section in the article that says "Other familiar enemies we noticed include the Malboro, Cactuar, Tonberry, and Naga
So are they in or not?

Well either he forgot because of the whirlwind of press and interviews he was doing or perhaps he was trying to play coy to keep it a secret and forgot about GI's visit and the staff seeing them in the game? lol
That Marlboro footage made them look terrifying and hard as hell so maybe they're all part of the Monster Quests like the Behemoth?

I don't think Game Informer were the only press or outlet there either. I dug around Twitter last week and there were a couple of tweets hinting other press were at the offices too for a week but Game Informer got their's out first because of the publication schedule? Makes me wonder if EDGE's next issue will be a FFXV cover story if thats the case.

.JayZii

Banned
That ring stuff must have seeped into my subconcious because have an urge to play FFVIII for some reason.
So are they in or not?
The bolded one could be interesting in an action rpg. I wonder how they would handle that with the established characteristics of the monster and systems.

That ring stuff must have seeped into my subconcious because have an urge to play FFVIII for some reason.

The bolded one could be interesting in an action rpg. I wonder how they would handle that with the established characteristics of the monster and systems.

Could do it with high defense, massive HP, and if you don't drop em quick enough.... Basically a single player dps check.

Koozek

If anyone's interested, here's a rough translation of the recent, Japanese 4Gamer interview with Tabata and Nozue. A few interesting tidbits about the development process, including further explanation about the changing of Stella to Luna and how hard and frightening it was for the team to decide on whether it should be open-world or not because they were so inexperienced.

http://femto-jiokichi.tumblr.com/post/142546480678/uncovered-4gamer-interview-translation-interview

• 4Gamer:
    Criticism. For example?
    T:
    What we hear the most is &#8220;you changed Versus without any consensus!&#8221; From the point of us developers, we have to change what we have to change, though.

4Gamer:
    I remember you spent quite an amount of time explaining why you changed heroine on an ATR.
    T:
    It turned out pretty soon that we had to change the role of heroine to wrap up the story of FFXV in just one game. Fans had the image of Stella even though her traits and all had not been released completely. In such a case, it is really hard to change her role alone since her image would be totally different from what fans have had on her. It&#8217;s only natural some of them won&#8217;t appreciate it.

4Gamer:
    If you had kept Stella and just changed her role, then people would have felt her trait changed completely.
    T:
    Our emotions are with her, and there&#8217;s no way on the earth to present a perfect explanation. Developers feel uncomfortable to work on if a character they have known well for a long time completely changed his/her role. So we decided to change the character itself.

4Gamer:
    Oh. So developers would mind as well.
    T:
    If what the have believed right gets criticized, then we can&#8217;t shake it off thinking we could have done better. After all, we are also humans. Besides, staff who haven&#8217;t engaged in Versus XIII would feel that they&#8217;re doing something wrong.
    This is not healthy at all. So we decided not to let anything haunt us including the heroine issue.

4Gamer:
    So you prepared a stage to explain about the change of heroine for the entire team?
    T:
    I explained the reason why we would bring in a new heroine. Among Team FFXV, we openly share the information unless it is highly confidential. We control the information strictly, of course.​

• 4Gamer:
    What was the most difficult and impressive decision ever made so far?
    T:
    Well, we make decisions everyday, so&#8230; Ah, the one whether we implement open world technology or not.
    N:
    Ah! That was really tough.
    T:
    In the end we decided to implement open world with the following string attached: &#8220;It&#8217;s okay if we end up failing.&#8221; There was/were staff/some staff who was/were aggressively against the idea of introducing open world. &#8220;There is a story going on. Switching maps and let the events take the lead. Make the contents enough on there.&#8221; He/She/They might have thought and been afraid that introducing open world would lead the game almost empty.

4Gamer:
    Why did you stick with open world?
    T:
    If non-open world RPG is released at this timing, RPG fans from all over the world would wonder why it&#8217;s not open world. In FFXV we travel around the world, so we would definitely be criticized.
    Besides, there was once an era that FF has been the top-notch RPG. To make FF back onto the top-notch RPG game, implementing open world was the must. If we had chosen to go with old-style RPG way, then people wouldn&#8217;t take our words: &#8220;we challenge against Skyrim.&#8221;
    So I couldn&#8217;t back down. The game goes as the story goes, but it is expressed in open world.
    N:
    We spent a night together to discuss until we all agreed on open world FF.
    4Gamer:
    When was that happen?
    T:
    A few months after E3 in 2013, where we presented FFXV. Luminous Studio team and we were just merged. At that time, engineers insisted that it was impossible to develop open world game with Square Enix&#8217;s know-hows. Especially the ones from outside of Japan had that propensity.

4Gamer:
    &#8220;Impossible to develop open world game,&#8221; I feel a tint of sadness hearing that as one of people who root for Square Enix and FF franchise&#8230;
    T:
    That was the proof that the world considered we had little knowledge on technology. Especially because the first HD FF game was happened to have a linear map, the world came to the conclusion that Square Enix cannot develop open world AAA games.
    While the world was still in that point of view, we released Episode Duscae. And the wind direction suddenly changed to &#8220;what? You guys CAN develop such thing?&#8221;

4Gamer:
    Still, you told them &#8220;it&#8217;s okay if we end up failing.&#8221; That&#8217;s a bold call.
    T:
    Otherwise people couldn&#8217;t dive into the challenging situation with confidence. I wanted them to think &#8220;if we fail, it&#8217;s all on Tabata&#8221; and be relaxed. We first built the environment, and now we can control the seamless world dynamically. They said that it was next to impossible, but they wouldn&#8217;t wanna make the filed so infertile, so&#8230;
    N:
    They use their knowledge to the fullest and develop a better one :D
    T:
    When I say &#8220;I told you it&#8217;s okay that the field has almost nothing,&#8221; then they say &#8220;no way in hell!&#8221; :D
    4Gamer:
    So, apparently, they can do it but they were against it.
    T:
    From the technical point of view, it&#8217;s a really huge challenge to make the game open world.
    The loading system, the designing of the map, all techniques are different from the current ones. At first, I myself was like &#8220;whoa, so this is how you develop open world!&#8221; They were all open world engineers in the making, so when looking at &#8220;Grand Theft Auto&#8221; or &#8220;Red Dead Redemption,&#8221; they were overwhelmed thinking &#8220;no way we can develop that&#8230;&#8221;

4Gamer:
    Of course these two titles are top-notch games&#8230;
    T:
    Well, I understand how they felt. Anyways. We got over it, we&#8217;ve earned the know-how on technology and now we can design the map. It&#8217;s not a perfect open world, but players can enjoy the seamless world. We got so excited when we finally arrived on this level.

4Gamer:
    Did you have a confidence that you could build FFXV with open world?
    T:
    Yes, of course. The technology was not a new one. Other companies have been using it, and it&#8217;s not a mysterious technology.
    However, I had a doubt on whether the members in the development team could keep their best performance skills until we finish developing the game on the level that can be delivered to the world. So I decided to first build the division, and have kept updating where we were going and shared it with the team. I mean, I put priority in taking care of mind issues, not technical issues.

4Gamer:
    So their minds were the ones that weren&#8217;t ready for the challenging situation.
    T:
    They first lined up things they couldn&#8217;t do, such as &#8220;If we make it an open world game, then the quality would be terrible&#8221; or &#8220;We can&#8217;t put much contents in the game.&#8221; So I kept telling them that it&#8217;s okay to lose in the quality, it&#8217;s okay to make the map lack of contents.

4Gamer:
    But you have always had the expectation that they can do it if they really put themselves into it.
    T:
    50 %, yes. The rest of 50 %, it&#8217;s really okay if the game is finalized even though there is few contents in it.

4Gamer:
    That&#8217;s a really bold call especially when considering that you&#8217;re developing one of the numbering titles of FF.
    T:
    Still, I wanted to share with the team that the technology we implement in the game and the perfectness of the contents are different things to be considered. I was looking for an example, and I found &#8220;Shadow of the Colossus.&#8221; When I showed that to the team, they understood. Don&#8217;t get me wrong, I&#8217;m not making fun of &#8220;Shadow of the Colossus.&#8221; I respect the game so I used as the example.

4Gamer:
    It&#8217;s a good example that even though there are few contents in the game, the game can be awesome if you really develop it right. In fact, the reputation of &#8220;Shadow of the Colossus&#8221; is high outside of Japan as well.
    T:
    We can feel the world just going toward the destination. The team also re-recognized how wonderful the &#8220;Shadow of the Colossus&#8221; is.
    Furthermore, &#8220;The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time&#8221; is also a good example that we can feel its world. When comparing to the current games, the contents wasn&#8217;t abundant. Still, we can immerse ourselves into the world of &#8220;The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time&#8221; by riding on a horse and running around the seamless living world.

4Gamer:
    As of now, can the final version of FFXV be the one you have been picturing?
    T:
    All the things I&#8217;ve wanted to put in the game can be achieved.​
---

EDIT: Before you ask me to make a new thread instead for new interviews: the translation is wonky at many parts and I think some of it would only lead to misunderstanding, like "FFXV open-world confirmed to be empty" or "FFXV director says FFXV doesn't have perfect open-world" etc...

The Lamp

I don't actually buy that it's more productive to sleep three hours a day instead of getting a decent rest after a day of hard work. I mean what is he doing all that time since he is the director and not making assets non-stop etc.? Is it actually doing any real favors for the project or is it another case of japanese "gotta show how I'm working myself to the literal bone or my bosses will replace me"?.

This. I wouldn't be surprised if he spends a lot of time putting out fires that ironically wouldn't spark if people weren't sleep-deprived.

These stories are not uncommon for game development and it's why I stayed the fuck away from it as a career. Working on a single project for years with a crippled social life and health situation doesn't seem like a worthwhile life investment, but hey, I enjoy the products of the people who do it.

DeSolos

I think it's important to realize the context.

FFXV's map is roughly 700-800 sq miles.(about 2X larger than JC3)

This team is used to making very old school style games that required a lot of hand crafted assets and personal attention to every sq inch.

Tabata is saying, it's ok that they can't fill the massive world to the same level of density as what you were used to in prior, smaller games. Additionally, negative space, serves a purpose(see Shadow of the Colossus).

Wow, never occurred to me that there'd be so much resistance to open world from inside of SE. Tabata really is a ballsy guy.

And I hope and trust the map won't be as stuffed with repetitive side content as an Ubi game or Skyrim. Really heartening to hear Tabata reference SotC, and how it's OK to have large space as a canvas for a traditionally more-or-less linear FF plot. After playing W3 (with map markers off), I realized I do like open world games, but only when they have a strong directional plot and good pacing.

Koozek

Wow, never occurred to me that there'd be so much resistance to open world from inside of SE. Tabata really is a ballsy guy.

And I hope and trust the map won't be as stuffed with repetitive side content as an Ubi game or Skyrim. Really heartening to hear Tabata reference SotC, and how it's OK to have large space as a canvas for a traditionally more-or-less linear FF plot. After playing W3 (with map markers off), I realized I do like open world games, but only when they have a strong directional plot and good pacing.

Koozek

From Mognet's @RetroPS4:

I was just thinking again about the whole Lucian culture thing and how it is really mysterious now since Tabata said the Versus stuff was gone, and with the new speculation about Insomnia's summon maybe being Doomtrain, I got to thinking we havn't seen the Lucian crest since Nomura left..Is it still a skull? and then I found this!

merch-jpg.365

Is that maybe the Lucian crest on the left?!?! Maybe more evidence the darkness/dark themes we have been missing from the trailers:)

Edit: Actually, I looked at it a bit more closely. That appears to be Bahamut (Nifleheim) behind so then definitely the foreground is Hades or Doomtrain or something (Lucis) in the foreground. I wonder why this image didn't get more commentary by the board when it was shown...it sort of seems to imply death (or death worship?) is still a big theme in Lucis...1 point to team #VersusLives

Simo

So are they in or not?

Just going back to the Tonberry thing but I found on Twitter Joe Juba, the writer for Game Informer who wrote the article, actually clarified on that comment in the magazine and the recent interview where it was said they may be out:
Joe Juba &#8207;@Joejuba Apr 6
Regarding Tonberries and FFXV: We definitely saw a model in an in-game monster lineup. If they make the final cut is obviously up to BD2.

I believe we're also getting a new feature update today too!

Nice find on that recent Lucis crest. I hadn't seen that. Hard to interpret as anything other than some type of skull or death's head.

Also, really interested in seeing a tonberrydone in this engine with full behavior and AI. Feel he's going to be damn creepy.

Koozek

From Mognet's @RetroPS4:

From Uncovered event iphone case for XV (left-most)
XQKCL1a.jpg

Versus: (the skull Sigil is the same!!!) We havn't seen this image in any scenes of XV or Kingsglaive yet, but here it is on brand new FFXV merchandise, *KeanuWhoa!.gif*
vNzRuJy.png

Versus:
V6Hz4JL.png

FFXV:
b90SdPL.png

Versus:
qLxIVvA.jpg

FFXV:
G2GPZBy.jpg

Versus / Kingsglaive:
IhVwpV6.jpg

WoK3SBG.jpg

OSfDczk.jpg

uZcB5PB.jpg

Koozek

Just FYI I think if you don't have a Mognet account, those images are broken. T_T

Okay, I fixed it, I think:
From Mognet's @RetroPS4:

From Uncovered event iphone case for XV (left-most)
XQKCL1a.jpg

Versus: (the skull Sigil is the same!!!) We havn't seen this image in any scenes of XV or Kingsglaive yet, but here it is on brand new FFXV merchandise, *KeanuWhoa!.gif*
vNzRuJy.png

Versus:
V6Hz4JL.png

FFXV:
b90SdPL.png

Versus:
qLxIVvA.jpg

FFXV:
G2GPZBy.jpg

Versus / Kingsglaive:
IhVwpV6.jpg

WoK3SBG.jpg