• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates shipped 1.84 million copies by March 31st (prior to EU launch)

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I'm not sure if the $20 version via download is accounted for in those sales or count towards as a DLC purchase, but still really impressed by the result.

Sterok

It's going to hit 3 million isn't it? Right now it's bigger than Kirby, and it has a very real chance to sell more than what Metroid ever did. Fire Emblem. Who could have seen that coming?

Feichaw

That's very good news. And to think that the series was supposed to die if Awakening didn't sell so well...what a turnaround.

Kevinroc

So, how many people bought both Birthright and Conquest? One guy I talked with said he was going to buy the physical releases of both games.

I put down a pre-order and managed to get the Special Edition.

Good, considering it is my favorite series and now we're guaranteed another one no too far off. Just hope Advance Wars isn't too far off.

Draxal

Do special editions count as three sales or two sales or one sales, and how does does downloading dlc count into this.

Awakening is close to 2 million now according to the Japanese singers bio.

redcrayon

Do special editions count as three sales or two sales or one sales, and how does does downloading dlc count into this.

Awakening is close to 2 million now according to the Japanese singers bio.

I suspect it means total physical+digital copies of any base product, either Birthright, Conquest or the special edition, with a SE sale counting as one. I doubt the SE counts as more than one, and I doubt any downloaded additional campaigns count either (So if you bought a boxed Birthright, and then Conquest as DLC, it's still one sale). A DLC campaign might be a sizable expansion, but it's still a piece of DLC to a base product, no matter which way around you do it.

Aside from numbers of copies, and more importantly for Intelligent Systems, total profits from the project will probably be very high compared to Awakening too, seeing as there are potentially multiple £20 items of DLC on top of the smaller pieces. It'll be interesting to see if they eventually release numbers of how many DLC campaigns were downloaded, and how many chose either Birthright or Conquest as their initial standard edition.

Madness that it's now a major B-tier IP for them, considering it's genre and lengthy history as a minor footnote in their catalogue.

Bruno MB

A tactical role-playing game on a handheld console selling (shipped + digital) 1 million units outside Japan and it hasn't even been released in Europe?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Really happy to hear this, some awesome sales, there. Could this end up being one of the best selling SRPGs of all time?

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Hopefully its success doesn't stop the innovation - really hoping for a better series of stories this time around.

Conquest in particular is pretty eye-raising in the logic it tries to use to get from the start to the end.

Fun trilogy, though.

Revive Advance Wars Nintendo, and don't go the DoR route again. It needs to stay cartoony

This would be awesome, but idk if it'll ever really happen at this point.

Those numbers are deserved. I know I will contribute as I pre-ordered the LE.

Initially I was very upset Advance Wars was sacrificed to FE as the main Inteligent Systems tactical game on handleds.

After Awakening, I am less upset. FE is awesome.

Still I would love a new Advance Wars Dual Strike style

[ groans of increasing comfort ]

Well deserved. Fates gameplay was absolutely fantastic.

Just please FOR THE LOVE OF ANANKOS HIRE A WRITER. A great story will elevate this series from awesome to incredible.

I wonder what the dlc (especially extra route dlc) numbers look like. If even half bought just the second route, that's an enormous amount of extra money they earn after all

Celine

Really happy to hear this, some awesome sales, there. Could this end up being one of the best selling SRPGs of all time?
Best selling strategy RPG from Japan.

Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1): 2.49M
Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS): 1.79M
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (GBA): 1.71M

TWILT

Banned
Deserved; Fates is probably my favorite game in the series now (though I do hope they get a better writer next time...).

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Total: 1.84 million
Japan: 0.78 million
Overseas: 1.06 million

Overseas should pretty much be North America (and maybe Asia?) given the timeframe.

The last number we got for Fire Emblem: Awakening was 1.79 million.

Source: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2016/160427_4e.pdf

Are different path DLCs figured into total sales? Would the fact I bought Hoshido then got Nohr mean I technically bought 2 copies of the game?

How the hell did a anime SRPG get so big? WTF?

Waifus

vareon

Are different path DLCs figured into total sales? Would the fact I bought Hoshido then got Nohr mean I technically bought 2 copies of the game?

Waifus

Since they're talking shipping and FE was a part of a list of other retail products, I guess it's physical Birthright/Conquest/Special only.

Top Bottom