• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 - Wii/PS3/360; downloadable episodic release - [Update: $15?]

Resilient

Ten-Song said:
You mean one post a few pages ago from someone who is clearly a crazy person? Because no one beyond one person actually said that.

I think 'crazy' is a bit of an understatement.

I'm in the same camp as Scullibundo. I loved the hell out Sonic 2, but Sonic 3 and Knuckles knocks it out of the park. They're both fantastic, it's just that S3&K improves on everything in Sonic 2, and that's what you want out of a sequel.

bluebird said:
I think you're in the wrong thread. You aren't hating Sonic 3 and Knuckles enough. Didn't you read the last 5 pages? It was the series decline. Tsk tsk.

I only come in here few couple of weeks to drop some knowledge, watch the primates freak out to my monolith of wisdom, before descending into stupdity again 2 pages later.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Scullibundo said:
Mystic Cave Zone anyone?

Sonic 2 doesn't touch Sonic 3&Knuckles. I love Sonic 2. Like I love the shit out of it. But Sonic 3&K just improved everything ten-fold.

If by 'improve' you mean making the graphics, character sprites and music shittier and the levels longer and more boring, then yes, S3&K improved everything.

S3&K isn't a bad game, but compared to Sonic 1 and 2, I think it's a rather mediocre effort. It's far better than Sonic CD though.

Out of idle curiousity, and since I doubt this thread can be fucked up even more, which zones do people generally take to be the 'pinnacle' of Genesis Sonic level design? I was talking to someone about this recently and we ended up torn between late game S&K (Lava Reef/Death Egg) and Chemical Plant, but I'd be interested to hear what others think.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
A Huge Battleship said:
Out of idle curiousity, and since I doubt this thread can be fucked up even more, which zones do people generally take to be the 'pinnacle' of Genesis Sonic level design? I was talking to someone about this recently and we ended up torn between late game S&K (Lava Reef/Death Egg) and Chemical Plant, but I'd be interested to hear what others think.

It's definitely not Chemical Plant. The best part of that zone was its music. The level was okay, but it wasn't even the best in Sonic 2 (that would be Mystic Cave, IMO!) let alone the entire series.

I think I might agree with Lava Reef, though. Death Egg (S&K) was kinda meh.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Danthrax said:
It's definitely not Chemical Plant. The best part of that zone was its music. The level was okay, but it wasn't even the best in Sonic 2 (that would be Mystic Cave, IMO!) let alone the entire series.

I think I might agree with Lava Reef, though. Death Egg (S&K) was kinda meh.

Loved the music in both Chemical Plant and Mystic Cave, but I don't think Mystic Cave's level design was anything special. For me it would probably be a tie between Green Hill Zone, Chemical Plant and Star Light Zone.

Sanjuro

Ten-Song said:
You mean one post a few pages ago from someone who is clearly a crazy person? Because no one beyond one person actually said that.
Because I prefer the Sonic 2 titles over Sonic 3 & Knuckles? OKAY.

This will be old news for some, but since it's not in the thread, Ruby posted a few of the remixed title themes on the Sega Blog, including Tweaker's Sega CD-styled one.

It also pretty much guarantees that Music is the next thing to open up on the site, if we didn't know that already from the site source code.

Lijik

Kulock said:
This will be old news for some, but since it's not in the thread, Ruby posted a few of the remixed title themes on the Sega Blog, including Tweaker's Sega CD-styled one.

It also pretty much guarantees that Music is the next thing to open up on the site, if we didn't know that already from the site source code.

Great. Can't wait until the site "reveals" the opening jingle in two days.

TimmiT

From the SEGA forums:
Ggsrfl.png

That fan game is definitely too busy, but I think it looks better than Sonic 4.

Also, when the Hell did Sonic 3 + Sonic & Knuckles become a bad game? I like it.

TimmiT said:
From the SEGA forums:
Ggsrfl.png

Maybe this is supposed to be a take on the short snowboard scene in Sonic 3... or some kind of cruel joke.

Also, when the Hell did Sonic 3 + Sonic & Knuckles become a bad game? I like it.
Personally, I like Sonic 3 but Sandopolis Zone in S&K is where the level design takes a nose dive in my opinion, I don't think I've ever finished Sonic 3 & Knuckles combined due to this.

Sanjuro

That fan game is definitely too busy, but I think it looks better than Sonic 4.

Since people began to like Sonic 4 I think.

Tilt the screen? What the hell is that about?

Right, we knew the Wii and PS3 versions were getting motion controls. There's probably a few other tilt-based gimmicks like this.

5 seconds in a paint program, just made the stuff behind the text box easier to see:
Sonic4LostLabyrinthMineCartBright.png

Didn't they mention it would use Wii motion controls and SIXAXIS? It must be for this level.

360 owners will just have to twiddle our sticks.

EDIT: Well, twiddle our triggers, since that's what the description says.

batbeg

Gagaman said:
Tilting the screen? Surely that means this is from the iPhone version, or has that already been established?

Read it again maybe? It says tilt the screen by pressing RT and LT.

PJX

I AM JOHN! said:
That screenshot for that fangame looks atrocious. It's overly busy to the extreme.

I agree.

That look absolutely horrible. I don't know how anyone can say that garbage looks good.

Gagaman said:
Tilting the screen? Surely that means this is from the iPhone version, or has that already been established?

Yes because the iPhone has a left trigger and right trigger buttons :lol

Ya know, Sonic 2 on the Game Gear had mine carts. Shit, I mean if Resident Evil 5 had mine carts too I guess they copied Donkey Kong as well.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
You can almost feel the glee of someone when they snapped that screenshot and went to post it on a Sonic forum.... New motion controls in a Sonic game? It's scientifically calculated to make sonic fans RAGE :lol

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
RobbieNick said:
I'm betting it's a mini game. Sonic 3 has like, 4 different mini-games. It would be easy to assume Sonic 4 has some as well.

Seems pretty clear that it's an entire act. Sonic 3 snowboard was a cool fuckin intro to a badass level that lasted 15 seconds.

In other words - they fucked up...with that one. No mine carts in my fucking Sonic.

/Rage

Two things come to mind:

1) The mine carts in sonic 2 sms/gg, sega throwing back to them maybe.
2) The mine cart scene in Sonic SV :lol

Sounds like you have to tilt the screen with LT and RT but turning it too much will just make sonic fall out or off the rails. I seriously hope it's not a wasted act to do some shitty gimmick that most people will hate for being in a classic game.

Gagaman said:
RT and LT? Those are the classic controller buttons right? My mistake!
Xbox 360 pad : LT and RT (triggers)
PS3 pad: L2 and R2
wii: B and Z or whatever shit
iPhone: lolz (no buttons only a touchscreen)

RagnarokX

Diablohead said:
Two things come to mind:

1) The mine carts in sonic 2 sms/gg, sega throwing back to them maybe.
2) The mine cart scene in Sonic SV :lol

Sounds like you have to tilt the screen with LT and RT but turning it too much will just make sonic fall out or off the rails. I seriously hope it's not a wasted act to do some shitty gimmick that most people will hate for being in a classic game.

Xbox 360 pad : LT and RT (triggers)
PS3 pad: L2 and R2
wii: B and Z or whatever shit
iPhone: lolz (no buttons only a touchscreen)
Don't forget the mine carts in Sonic Triple Trouble and Sonic Rush Adventure.

They're ok as a gimmick, but a whole level? The first thing that popped into my head was the game-killingly annoying mine cart level from Taz-Mania

I'm calling it:

So we have four acts per Zone, right? Two will be typical Sonic-style levels (but still Dimps Sonic, so have fun with that), one will be a stupid gimmick level that no one wants to play a la NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams (like that damn raft level) and the fourth will be the boss. Like Sonic Advance 3, expect probably less terrible but still not worthy of being called SONIC MOTHERFUCKING 4.

Speaking of, I picked up a new copy of Sonic Advance 3 a couple days ago since I apparently lost mine. My God, Sega1991, you were right: that game sucks. What was I thinking? :(

WillyFive

I love it that it seems as if Sega is listening to my dreams and making the game more and more like I wanted.

I wanted it to be more like Sonic Advance, and I got it! I wanted it to be pre-rendered, and I got it! And I wanted it to be classic and still do new stuff, and I got it!

But dang, you guys must have it hard....

Willy105 said:
I love it that it seems as if Sega is listening to my dreams and making the game more and more like I wanted.

I wanted it to be more like Sonic Advance, and I got it! I wanted it to be pre-rendered, and I got it! And I wanted it to be classic and still do new stuff, and I got it!

But dang, you guys must have it hard....

Whoa, dude.

It's almost like Sega is making this game JUST FOR YOU. That is awesome.

They should even give you a special credit at the end of the game. Special Thanks: Willy for being our favoritest fan...everrrrrr.

Top Bottom