• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 - Wii/PS3/360; downloadable episodic release - [Update: $15?]

Hey i noticed some Sonic 3 & Knuckles hate.

Fuck you guys. S3&K is the best 2D platformer of all time.

I am bracing myself for impact from not only Sonic 1/2 fans but also Mario fans. I am prepared.

OnPoint

SO I FINISHED SONIC ADVANCE YESTERDAY

Here's the cover:

55qo08.png

This is actually a pretty damn good little game. Why does everyone give it so much hate? It does a great job with the "momentum based gameplay" concept. There aren't any SUPERSPEEDZOMGQ!!!!!!! areas. There are barely any pits whatsoever -- I think I fell in maybe 2, and they were on the second last level.

The bosses were clever and creative. There are multiple OPTIONAL characters to play as. This is a damn good game.

The special stages are the only real downfall. They're a chore to find, let alone play. I didn't get even one emerald the entire time because of their horrible design. And actually, I only found two of the springs to get there. I'm all about exploration based gameplay, but there's like one a world. It's pretty poor design.

I'm off to play Sonic Rush Adventure over the next few days. I know it won't be the same experience, but I'll report back on that.

What's my point, though? My point is that after playing Sonic Advance, I feel Dimps IS capable of making a decent Sonic 4. Obviously the jury is out, but if they keep the focus, they DO have the chops. This game proves it.

Sanjuro

I'm also hoping they have a playable version up at PAX. If so I will be sharing whatever I can get. I'm going to be doing some live streaming from the event hopefully.

Ten-Song

OnPoint said:

Here's the cover:

http://i43.tinypic.com/55qo08.png

This is actually a pretty damn good little game. Why does everyone give it so much hate? It does a great job with the "momentum based gameplay" concept. There aren't any SUPERSPEEDZOMGQ!!!!!!! areas. There are barely any pits whatsoever -- I think I fell in maybe 2, and they were on the second last level.

The bosses were clever and creative. There are multiple OPTIONAL characters to play as. This is a damn good game.

The special stages are the only real downfall. They're a chore to find, let alone play. I didn't get even one emerald the entire time because of their horrible design. And actually, I only found two of the springs to get there. I'm all about exploration based gameplay, but there's like one a world. It's pretty poor design.

I'm off to play Sonic Rush Adventure over the next few days. I know it won't be the same experience, but I'll report back on that.

What's my point, though? My point is that after playing Sonic Advance, I feel Dimps IS capable of making a decent Sonic 4. Obviously the jury is out, but if they keep the focus, they DO have the chops. This game proves it.

Sonic Advance is a great title, the problem with the series is that Sonic Advance is followed by Sonic Advance 2 and Sonic Advance 3...

OnPoint

Ten-Song said:
Sonic Advance is a great title, the problem with the series is that Sonic Advance is followed by Sonic Advance 2 and Sonic Advance 3...

And I agree with you. But does this not prove that they're at least capable of bringing the series back to its former style? It does to me.

andymcc

Banned
Willy105 said:
I love it that it seems as if Sega is listening to my dreams and making the game more and more like I wanted.

I wanted it to be more like Sonic Advance, and I got it! I wanted it to be pre-rendered, and I got it! And I wanted it to be classic and still do new stuff, and I got it!

But dang, you guys must have it hard....

i thought your dream sonic game would be based off of your sonic x fanfiction.

Ten-Song

OnPoint said:
And I agree with you. But does this not prove that they're at least capable of bringing the series back to its former style?

Doesn't prove anything either way to me at least. Sonic Advance was great, but felt way different than the older Genesis titles. The other titles from DIMPS were about as far from that as possible though. Sonic Advance 2 had absolutely terrible level design, and Sonic Advance 3 carried over the problems from 2 and added way more, making the game feel fundamentally broken at times. Sonic Rush was great, and Rush Adventure was okay despite having a lot of shitty filler surrounding it, but both those games were nothing like what an older Sonic title should be.

Sciz

OnPoint said:

This is actually a pretty damn good little game. Why does everyone give it so much hate?
It's generally considered ok, from what I've seen over the years. It's the sort of game that isn't bad, but has a hard time compelling the player to replay it when prior games in the series did all of the same things and did them better. It's classic Sonic as designed by people who, despite their best efforts, just aren't as capable as the men who made the franchise a household name.

When Sonic Advance first came out, I liked it a lot. But I realize that it was really the novelty of having a 'brand-new' 2D Sonic game that made me enjoy it at a time when...well, Sonic wasn't exactly setting the world on fire.

However, now that I've had years to reflect on it, I can still say that Sonic Advance is a fine entry for a series that hasn't had a great entry in over a decade. But it still doesn't have that replayability or charm that the Genesis games had. It feels like just the sort of shovelware retro title that was common on the Game Boy Advance(and still is common on the various download services on each console). While I appreciate and adore these retro throwback titles, most of them have titles like "____ Rebirth" or "New ______", making sure to distinguish themselves from the real deal. These games realize what they are and they don't even pretend to be better than the originals. 'Mega Man 9' being the only exception, but in that case it's OK because...well, frankly, MM9(and 10) is the only one of these throwback games that can stand toe to toe with it's predecessors.

Sonic Advance is a noble effort by a group of young programmers, but a far cry from the glory of the classic games of the early 90's. To wish that 'Sonic 4' to be of the same quality as 'Sonic Advance' shows a person that doesn't have the ability to tell the difference between good and mediocre game design. Sonic Advance may be a good game by 'Sonic' standards, but the Genesis Sonics were good games by any standards.

That's the mountain that 'Sonic 4' has to look up at, due to it's unfortunate title decision.

ShadiWulf said:
More leaked screens, enjoy!

Shows super sonic, not sure if they have been posted yet, my first time seeing them

http://www.segabits.com/index.php?p=677

I'm not saying I know they are, but these shots look a little fake to me. Sonic doesn't have that sprite effect applied to him on the close-up, for one thing. The robot looks like something lifted from Unleashed, but I can't really say that for certain.

It's probably real, I'm just suspicious.

Sonic Advance is a decent enough game and it's probably worth going through, but its very forgettable compared to Sonic 1-3&K. Its an average game in a series that as of late would be happy just not embarrassing itself over and over again. Unfortunately, average quality isn't good enough for a game called Sonic 4.

OnPoint

SonicMegaDrive said:
When Sonic Advance first came out, I liked it a lot. But I realize that it was really the novelty of having a 'brand-new' 2D Sonic game that made me enjoy it at a time when...well, Sonic wasn't exactly setting the world on fire.

However, now that I've had years to reflect on it, I can still say that Sonic Advance is a fine entry for a series that hasn't had a great entry in over a decade. But it still doesn't have that replayability or charm that the Genesis games had. It feels like just the sort of shovelware retro title that was common on the Game Boy Advance(and still is common on the various download services on each console). While I appreciate and adore these retro throwback titles, most of them have titles like "____ Rebirth" or "New ______", making sure to distinguish themselves from the real deal. These games realize what they are and they don't even pretend to be better than the originals. 'Mega Man 9' being the only exception, but in that case it's OK because...well, frankly, MM9(and 10) is the only one of these throwback games that can stand toe to toe with it's predecessors.

Sonic Advance is a noble effort by a group of young programmers, but a far cry from the glory of the classic games of the early 90's. To wish that 'Sonic 4' to be of the same quality as 'Sonic Advance' shows a person that doesn't have the ability to tell the difference between good and mediocre game design. Sonic Advance may be a good game by 'Sonic' standards, but the Genesis Sonics were good games by any standards.

That's the mountain that 'Sonic 4' has to look up at, due to it's unfortunate title decision.

I take exception to that, and I'll tell you why. Everyone is in here calling for doom and gloom based on a few seconds of gameplay footage on a game that isn't even due out until July. Sonic 4 has already been condemned. And that's a shame -- it should be allowed to stand on its own legs or crumble underneath the weight of its legacy despite the leaked footage. Nobody here has even played a demo, yet everyone has an opinion one way or the other. That's just wrong.

Sonic Advance is a pretty damn good game. No, its not as good as the original Genesis games. I can plainly see that. But if those were steak, Sonic Advance is a hamburger, and Sonic Advance 2 & 3 are dogshit, is it wrong to hope for a burger? They're plenty capable of giving me something edible is all I'm saying. It gives me faith that Sonic 4 will probably be decent.

But you and I are likely to disagree. Because I enjoyed all the Rebirth games (even if Contra was far too short). Looking for a game to be as good as or better than its past is a foolish way to go about it. As long as it doesn't suck I don't see why it can't just be enjoyed for what it is.

SonicMegaDrive said:

This is pretty much how I feel about Sonic Advance. It blew me away at the time (hell, ALL the Sonic Advance games blew me away at the time), but it was definitely one of those cases where part of what made me so hot for the game was the novelty factor of having a classic Sonic game with a post Sonic Adventure twist wherever I went. Now that I'm removed from that, I can see that it's an okay game, but that's about it. Something about the physics is completely off (probably has to do with the whole "more rings gives you better acceleration" thing), but it's definitely the closest Dimps has gotten to the Genesis games in terms of design, even if the majority of the levels are completely forgettable.

But that's pretty much it - it's an okay game. Better than the majority of Sonic fangames and rom hacks out there, but it lacks that je ne sais quoi that all the classic Sonics have. Wanting Sonic 4 to be like them goes to show that you don't know a damn thing about classic Sonic games.

Also, requesting a link to Willy105's Sonic X fanfic plz.

OnPoint said:
But you and I are likely to disagree. Because I enjoyed all the Rebirth games (even if Contra was far too short). Looking for a game to be as good as or better than its past is a foolish way to go about it. As long as it doesn't suck I don't see why it can't just be enjoyed for what it is.
If you can't live up to your past, don't use the name. If they decided to call this "New Sonic the Hedgehog", "Sonic Rebirth" or "Sonic Advance 4", you'd see nowhere near the amount of loathing the game has been getting. If you compare yourself to titans, you better stack up.

OnPoint said:
I take exception to that, and I'll tell you why. Everyone is in here calling for doom and gloom based on a few seconds of gameplay footage on a game that isn't even due out until July. Sonic 4 has already been condemned. And that's a shame -- it should be allowed to stand on its own legs or crumble underneath the weight of its legacy despite the leaked footage. Nobody here has even played a demo, yet everyone has an opinion one way or the other. That's just wrong.

Sonic Advance is a pretty damn good game. No, its not as good as the original Genesis games. I can plainly see that. But if those were steak, Sonic Advance is a hamburger, and Sonic Advance 2 & 3 are dogshit, is it wrong to hope for a burger? They're plenty capable of giving me something edible is all I'm saying. It gives me faith that Sonic 4 will probably be decent.

I enjoyed the Rebirth series as well as a lot of other retro titles. I did enjoy them for what they are. Tasty little morsels, but not quite 'steak' as you put it.

My point in regards to 'Sonic 4' is that due it's title, it has the unfortunate situation of having to live up to the previous 3 games in the series, or else face the wrath of an already angry horde of fans. If they had called it "Sonic Rebirth" or "New Sonic the Hedgehog" it would not be in that situation.

Sure, the game might be enjoyable 'for what it is', but for the people who have dreamed for 16 years that one day they might get that new Sonic game that lives up to the original trilogy, that's hardly a selling point.

Personally, I think the game will be good 'for what it is'. But then again, I never had any expectations for it to begin with. I think it'll be about on par with Sonic Advance. But to want it to be on part with Sonic Advance is just crazy. I'll settle for Sonic Advance, but that's definitely not what I would want.

OnPoint

I AM JOHN! said:
This is pretty much how I feel about Sonic Advance. It blew me away at the time (hell, ALL the Sonic Advance games blew me away at the time), but it was definitely one of those cases where part of what made me so hot for the game was the novelty factor of having a classic Sonic game with a post Sonic Adventure twist wherever I went. Now that I'm removed from that, I can see that it's an okay game, but that's about it. Something about the physics is completely off (probably has to do with the whole "more rings gives you better acceleration" thing), but it's definitely the closest Dimps has gotten to the Genesis games in terms of design, even if the majority of the levels are completely forgettable.

But that's pretty much it - it's an okay game. Better than the majority of Sonic fangames and rom hacks out there, but it lacks that je ne sais quoi that all the classic Sonics have. Wanting Sonic 4 to be like them goes to show that you don't know a damn thing about classic Sonic games.

Also, requesting a link to Willy105's Sonic X fanfic plz.

No. Not "them." Just Sonic Advance. And I didn't say I want it to be like it. I said it proves Dimps can put together a momentum-based Sonic.

jman2050

The main problem I had with Sonic Advance is that despite the platforming mechanics being sound it was just completely and totally uninteresting from beginning to end. The level design isn't bad like the second game, it's just boring.

Ten-Song

OnPoint said:

Considering how Sega has treated the brand, that kind of pessimism isn't entirely undeserved.

OnPoint said:

The big problem is no one making Sonic games these days wants to even bother making them anything like the old games. This game seems like it's building less on Sonic Advance, and more that it's building off Sonic Rush. So that analogy doesn't really work. A better analogy is I come into Sonic 4 expecting a hamburger, and instead I get a bag of skittles. The quality of the skittles quickly becomes irrelevant when I remember that I didn't want any goddamn skittles, I wanted a hamburger.

OnPoint

SonicMegaDrive said:
I enjoyed the Rebirth series as well as a lot of other retro titles. I did enjoy them for what they are. Tasty little morsels, but not quite 'steak' as you put it.

My point in regards to 'Sonic 4' is that due it's title, it has the unfortunate situation of having to live up to the previous 3 games in the series, or else face the wrath of an already angry horde of fans. If they had called it "Sonic Rebirth" or "New Sonic the Hedgehog" it would not be in that situation.

Sure, the game might be enjoyable 'for what it is', but for the people who have dreamed for 16 years that one day they might get that new Sonic game that lives up to the original trilogy, that's hardly a selling point.

Personally, I think the game will be good 'for what it is'. But then again, I never had any expectations for it to begin with. I think it'll be about on par with Sonic Advance. But to want it to be on part with Sonic Advance is just crazy. I'll settle for Sonic Advance, but that's definitely not what I would want.

Again, I never said someone should settle for Sonic Advance quality in my original post. I touched on it in a follow up, but that's not really what I meant to say. I just think people are expecting too much.

And while I agree that the name Sonic 4 is unfortunate for it, and that's the reason why, people need to look past that at some point in my opinion ESPECIALLY because of the leaked footage.

OnPoint said:
Again, I never said someone should settle for Sonic Advance quality in my original post. And while I agree that the name Sonic 4 is unfortunate for it, people need to look past that at some point in my opinion.

Well, the reason that the situation with Sonic is so unique is that it has a much, much larger group of followers than say....Adventure Island, Castlevania, or Contra.

There ARE a lot of people who are delighted and looking forward to this release just as much if not more than those other games. But the following that the Sonic franchise has is just so immense and dedicated that you just can't help but take notice of the onslaught of negativity over the positive impressions, numerous as they might be.

It's sort of like Fatal Attraction 2 VS Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull.

FA2 was an awful, awful sequel to a pretty good movie, but you didn't really hear a lot of people whining about it. Because it doesn't exactly have a large following.

However, Crystal Skull was a 'decent' sequel to a really good set of films, and you hear a HEAP of hate for it all across the internet. This is due to the lofty expectations because the previous three films had a strong, dedicated fanbase, much like Sonic. Also: Star Wars prequels

OnPoint

Ten-Song said:
The big problem is no one making Sonic games these days wants to even bother making them anything like the old games. This game seems like it's building less on Sonic Advance, and more that it's building off Sonic Rush. So that analogy doesn't really work. A better analogy is I come into Sonic 4 expecting a hamburger, and instead I get a bag of skittles. The quality of the skittles quickly becomes irrelevant when I remember that I didn't want any goddamn skittles, I wanted a hamburger.

It's not a bad analogy. But the bag of Skittles isn't bad. It's not what you expected, but it should still be judged by its own merits. This can be done now because you can see the bag of Skittles coming ahead of time.

OnPoint said:
And while I agree that the name Sonic 4 is unfortunate for it, and that's the reason why, people need to look past that at some point in my opinion ESPECIALLY because of the leaked footage.
This is where you and I will simply never agree.

Kojima may say in every interview that Peace Walker may as well be MGS5 as far as he's concerned, but in the end it's not Metal Gear Solid 5; it's simply another Metal Gear Solid for PSP that Kojima is more invested in than last time. When you present yourself as a numbered sequel like this, you are implicitly demanding to be compared to the games that came before you. I don't see why we should give them a break and simply judge the game in a vacuum when by naming it as they have, that is exactly what they don't want us to do.

To paraphrase my friend here, no matter how much Sega and Dimps may or may not miss the point, or how much of a regression this is or isn't compared to the Sonic 3 & Knuckles, or how loudly I whine in this thread that Sonic Adventure should be the rightful heir to the name, this is Sonic 4. This is the official follow-up to a game many people (myself included) consider the best game ever created. There will never be another chance to make this game or make up for it if and when they screw it up. At the end of the day it will probably be an okay game when judged on its own merit; but its own merit can only get it so far when it's begging to be compared to these classics.

And frankly, I wouldn't want it any other way.

A Huge Battleship said:
Out of idle curiousity, and since I doubt this thread can be fucked up even more, which zones do people generally take to be the 'pinnacle' of Genesis Sonic level design? I was talking to someone about this recently and we ended up torn between late game S&K (Lava Reef/Death Egg) and Chemical Plant, but I'd be interested to hear what others think.

Lava Reef Zone is my favorite level from the Sonic series. The transition from lava to crystal between Act 1 and 2 was awesome. Good mix of platforming and speed sections as well.

Some of my other favorites:

Green Hill Zone (Durrr)
Marble Garden Zone
Emerald Hill Zone
Chemical Plant
Aquatic Ruin
Metropolis Zone (Haters gonna hate)
Angel Island Zone
Hydrocity Zone
Carnival Night Zone
Ice Cap Zone
Flying Battery Zone

RobbieNick

ShadiWulf said:
More leaked screens, enjoy!

Shows super sonic, not sure if they have been posted yet, my first time seeing them

http://www.segabits.com/index.php?p=677

Proven fake.

http://www.sonicstadium.org/news/recent-super-sonic-leaks-a-hoax

I have my doubts about the mine cart pic too. Where did it come from? Why is it cropped?

BTW, I don't buy the whole "The next one has to be greater than the one before it or it fails!!" Shtick. "Return of the Jedi" wasn't quite as good as "The Empire Strikes Back". Does that make it a failure? If a game is good, then it's good whether it's called "Sonic 4", "Sonic HD" or "Sonic's flapjack hoedown". "What's in a name? That, which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

In other words, it's just a fuckin' title. Get on with your life.

Ten-Song

RobbieNick said:

Yeah, the screens their selves also just looked a bit too polished and such, it looked like a still image, not something you'd see in motion.

RobbieNick said:
BTW, I don't buy the whole "The next one has to be greater than the one before it or it fails!!" Shtick. "Return of the Jedi" wasn't quite as good as "The Empire Strikes Back". Does that make it a failure?

No, Ewoks made it a failure.

Ten-Song

HeresSomeWeapons said:
Ewoks are a failure. Return of the Jedi is not.

Eh, I never had such a strong love for the original trilogy that made me ignore the many flaws Return of the Jedi has. It's a good film, (especially compared to the new trilogy) but it's kind of messy and rushes a lot of narrative points out the door too hastily.

But I digress, to address the original point, the title does mean something, especially if the game turns out to be shit, for the same reason that Star Wars is now broken beyond repair. Return of the Jedi wasn't as good as Empire Strikes Back, but it was still good, it was still worthy of being a Star Wars film. Again to alter an analogy, it'd be better to assume Sonic 4 would be approaching things from a Phantom Menace angle. A long absence from a classic series returning with an ugly convoluted poorly constructed mess.

Brashnir

RobbieNick said:
BTW, I don't buy the whole "The next one has to be greater than the one before it or it fails!!" Shtick. "Return of the Jedi" wasn't quite as good as "The Empire Strikes Back". Does that make it a failure? If a game is good, then it's good whether it's called "Sonic 4", "Sonic HD" or "Sonic's flapjack hoedown". "What's in a name? That, which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

It doesn't have to be greater than, but it has a whole mountain of expectations to live up to, and if it doesn't meet a certain level of quality when held next to the originals, it will ultimately be considered a failure.

While I consider Civilization 3 to be an inferior game to Civilization 2 and 4, it is still of a high enough standard that it stands in the series in its own right.

This game doesn't need to be better than Sonic 1, 2, or 3, but it needs to at least be of a similar level of quality.

Mik2121

Spent about five minutes trying to fix the fanmade pic, but the biggest problem is it's too busy and it would take me even longer to delete some of the objects.

Also the grass is way too busy.

27yxul4.jpg

It's like everything has this weird glow because I used gaussian blur and then lowered the percentage. Fail on my part :lol :lol :lol

Ten-Song

Mik2121 said:
Spent about five minutes trying to fix the fanmade pic, but the biggest problem is it's too busy and it would take me even longer to delete some of the objects.

http://i44.tinypic.com/27yxul4.jpg

It's like everything has this weird glow because I used gaussian blur and then lowered the percentage. Fail on my part :lol :lol :lol

An admirable effort, but the original picture is just too busy and messy to be saved. :lol

Seriously, the grass itself is just so weirdly messed up the way it's placed, and has that top layer sticking out that serves only to obscure where Sonic is standing.

Diablohead said:
wii: B and Z or whatever shit
Wii Classic controllers have "L" and "R" shoulder buttons in the places where you'd expect them but there are two additional ones, ZL and ZR which are placed differently depending on whether it's the first model or the Classic Controller Pro.

RobbieNick said:
Proven fake.

http://www.sonicstadium.org/news/recent-super-sonic-leaks-a-hoax

I have my doubts about the mine cart pic too. Where did it come from? Why is it cropped?

In other words, it's just a fuckin' title. Get on with your life.

Sonic 3 wasn't as good as Sonic 2, but that didn't make it a failure. That wasn't the point at all.

The analogy I would make is this: Sonic 2 is to "Empire" as Sonic 3 is to "Jedi".

One is probably a bit better than the other. However, fans of Star Wars can mostly agree that both films are awesome and must-see films.

Sonic 4 looks like it might end up more like the "Phantom Menace". Loved by a few, hated by most.

TimmiT

Mik2121 said:

27yxul4.jpg

About that fangame, the guy that's making it made some improvements:
sonicscreen01.jpg

Sanjuro

SonicMegaDrive said:
Sonic 3 wasn't as good as Sonic 2, but that didn't make it a failure. That wasn't the point at all.

The analogy I would make is this: Sonic 2 is to "Empire" as Sonic 3 is to "Jedi".

One is probably a bit better than the other. However, fans of Star Wars can mostly agree that both films are awesome and must-see films.

Sonic 4 looks like it might end up more like the "Phantom Menace". Loved by a few, hated by most.
oh mang. Don't bring Star Wars in here.

I still can't believe all these people saying Sonic 2 is shit though. :lol

That's also 62 pages over a course of close to five months versus 72 pages and counting over a month and a half.

My point being that "what's in a name?" is a lie. If there wasn't something in a name, this wouldn't be Sonic 4.

WillyFive

I have been playing the Game Gear games (Sonic Triple Trouble specifically), and they are awesome.

It's like those bogus things you guys say that make a Sonic game were actually true in that one game.

I AM JOHN! said:
That's also 62 pages over a course of close to five months versus 72 pages and counting over a month and a half.

My point being that "what's in a name?" is a lie. If there wasn't something in a name, this wouldn't be Sonic 4.

Name is very important in marketing.

andymcc said:
i thought your dream sonic game would be based off of your sonic x fanfiction.

Nah. It was ruined by the other writers.

Sanjuro

Sonic 2 is still my favorite of the Game Gear by a mile.

Chaos and Triple Trouble were both very...meh for me. They changed the graphical style and level design to the point where I just wasn't interested any longer.

OnPoint

I AM JOHN! said:

To be fair, like 15 - 20 pages of this thread is bitching about green eyes.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
SonicMegaDrive said:

This is the better analogy.

TimmiT said:
About that fangame, the guy that's making it made some improvements:
http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp23/TimmiT9/sonicscreen01.jpg
A slight improvement, but that grass still needs to calm the fuck down.

Top Bottom