• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2016 [Sony, MS, & Nintendo refuse to comment on hardware]

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Insomniac I see you! Brand new Ratchet PS4, let's fucking goooooo.
We did our part James & insomniac crew, now you do yours!

Blablurn

Never expected that R&C will become such a worldwide hit. Perks of being a good game with a nice price point I guess! Will definitely buy it in the next months.

Hm, Sony > Microsoft > Nintendo for hardware?

Not worried much about the decline. No big releases to pull things up this month.

There's no way Nintendo's even close on hardware.

My guess is Sony > MS > Nintendo, but all of them are down YoY. MS down more than Sony.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
The lack of comment by either Sony, MS or Nintendo on the hardware front can only mean one thing:

Ouya won!

tumblr_lgb0a4ssjn1qbq2p4.gif

Well this one is based on the original so I assume it has some platforming lol. Even though it is more of a shooter I hope it does help lead to a 3d platformer resurgence

Not very much. It's focus is definitely shooting. 3rd person action games already have a precedence for selling on ps4, so more 3rd person action games will be funded. TLOU sequel for example. Maybe even knack 2 if you're lucky! Lol

Platformers don't have a precedence for selling like hot cakes on that system thus far.

RexNovis

Banned
In the individual chart, Star Fox Zero while 5th, was Bravely Second 9th.

...Actually, I wonder what are the games between 1-5

1) Dark Souls 3 PS4
2) Dark Souls 3 One
3) Ratchet & Clank PS4
4) Quantum Break One
5) Star Fox Zero

?

Nah it'd have to be

1) Dark Souls 3 PS4
2) Ratchet & Clank PS4
3) MLB The Show PS4
4) Quantum Break One
5) Star Fox Zero

Which would mean the XB1 version of Dark Souls 3 sold less than Star Fox Zero... Now thats what I call a WOW

jelly

Never seen an ad for Quantum Break, remember seeing a Tomb Raider ad once and that was a terrible ad, blink and you miss what the hell it is. Halo ad was garbage too but saw that a few times. Titanfall was on all the time.

Did MS have the usual shit PR but they actually won and obviously can't send out that one now or did Nintendo win?

Welfare

I have to imagine it will be the last one for a while given Madden in September and Battlefield/NBA/possibly others in October will deny this to Final Fantasy 15.

Maybe if publishers start running on fumes again.

Madden will be in the August NPD.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The only way to solve this mystery is to eat glorious orange blueberry pie. The Creamy Sugary kind.

Pies are fine, but without any number to use to guess the other, how are we supposed to taste it.

Elios83

Huh, no comments on hardware... is it possible they collaborated on declining to release them from now on?

It was probably a slow month although it's peculiar that no one took the opportunity to simply say they won the month (without disclosing the declining numbers).
Cosmic Queso hinted at PS4 being best selling console for the month anyway.
I don't think we'll get more details until the pies are ready :p

Purest 78

Never seen an ad for Quantum Break, remember seeing a Tomb Raider ad once and that was a terrible ad, blink and you miss it what the hell it is. Halo ad was garbage too but saw that a few times. Titanfall was on all the time.

Did MS have the usual shit PR but they actually won and obviously can't send out that one now or did Nintendo win?

I saw tons of ads for QB.

icespide

Banned
Dark Souls at the top wow, I hope we get a new souls game in a new setting instead of a Dark Souls 4.

Surprised but happy to see Ratchet & Blank, Quantum Break up there

Sterok

I have to imagine it will be the last one for a while given Madden in September and Battlefield/NBA/possibly others in October will deny this to Final Fantasy 15.

Maybe if publishers start running on fumes again.

I'm guessing the next will be March 2017 with Zelda. Assuming it actually comes out then of course.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
probably. Overwatch is being released at the end of the month on 3 things instead of 1, but we'll see

Also, the majority of Overwatch sales will probably be through Battle.net's client, i.e. digital. Not tracked on NPD charts.

Eonjay

Neo Member
The hardware that is rumored to be refreshed was fine. So no evidence of this at all, really.

Xbox One was on sale all month as well...So even if it sold the same amount and everything else stayed the same REV would still be down.
PS4 is cheaper too.
And last gen has all but evaporated...
And everyone thought NX would be at E3 until about 2 weeks ago..

So PS4 would have to be flat at the very least (as the most expensive unit bearing the most weight on REV) otherwise REV would be down even more.

So I predict that everything was down between 15% and 25% percent besides the PS4 which is + or - 10%. Vita TV being up doesn't matter becaue the price would wipe out any REV gains anyway.

Ahh, thank you for the well thought out reply.

As recently as 2010, there were over 650 titles being released on disc. The last three years that number has settled to between 200-220 annually.

The physical console market isn't (in my opinion) being restrained by consumer demand. It's instead being restricted by the supply of products for that market to buy.

Dev costs have risen, risk profile of making packaged games has gone up. This has caused a sharp decline in the overall investment being made into bringing disc based games to market, and the number of companies that are willing to take that risk has been cut in more than half over the last 5+ years.

It's the biggest threat to the console market, and will continue to be so as the mobile/tablet market continues to grow and offer more appealing risk profiles, despite the more competitive environment and the smaller guarantee of returns.

You can make 25, 50, 100 bets on mobile for the price of 1 big console bet. Where are the odds better?

Good stuff. You should post more.

Ridley327

On this note, the discounted price was a very good call for Ratchet.

IIRC, the last time they did a $60 R&C was the first PS3 game. Most of them have been smaller scale games, but I'm pretty sure they've topped out at $40. They did the same thing for Sly 4, which was reported on having a series-best debut when it came out in addition to charting.

It's not a foolproof strategy (sorry, Puppeteer and Tearaway fans), but keeping to $40 for their family-friendly titles is a working strategy for them.

Hard

Banned
I own all 4 home consoles, and I have no idea why Ratchet & Clank sold so well. This game is a furbait nostalgia title to get the zootopia and ps2 crowd, doesn't even have open world. Why would sell better than Quantum Break? Time powers are crazy!! And the movie was garbage, but game still sells? Wut? :^/

I dunno why people are saying greatness awaits tbh...none of the titles have been that great except for Bloodborne but hopefully UC4 can prove me wrong, Naughty Doges better put out something good, I use my XB1 for multis and my PS4 has been collecting dust for months

Still at least MLB is a great game and Sony should make more stuff like taht and more stuff like quantum break, maybe they can get people to buy their console it would sell like bonkers even better than the Wii if they just put out some games for it!!! But still grats sony game still sells well gj :^)

Top Bottom