• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Monthly Charts - April 2016 (Sales down by 24.7% units / 20.9% revenue)

Bruno MB

uFalM.png

ENTERTAINMENT SOFTWARE (ALL PRICES) April 2016 (Apr 3rd - Apr 30th)

Code:
[B]April 2016[/B]

Week 14, 2016 - 296,911 units / £9m
Week 15, 2016 - 266,840 units / £9m
Week 16, 2016 - 220,813 units / £6.6m
Week 17, 2016 - 215,881 units / £6.1m

Total - 1,000,445 units (-24.72%) / £30.7m (-20.88%)

[B]April 2015[/B]

Week 14, 2015 - 475,487 units / £13.7m
Week 15, 2015 - 297,186 units / £8.2m
Week 16, 2015 - 338,760 units / £10.5m
Week 17, 2015 - 217,496 units / £6.4m

Total - 1,328,929 units / £38.8m

Code:
[B]Physical Software Sales by Format (Units)[/B]

PlayStation 4 - 420,187 ([B]+1.67%[/B])
Xbox One - 317,141 (-1.39%) 
Xbox 360 - 79,035 (-61.13%) 
Nintendo 3DS - 53,024 (-39.55%) 
Nintendo Wii U - 47,021 ([B]+14.14%[/B])
PlayStation 3 - 45,020 (-62.77%) 
PC Software - 28,012 (-69.45%) 
Nintendo Wii - 5,002 (-65.78%) 
PlayStation Vita - 5,002 (-62.36%) 
Nintendo DS - 2,001 (-89.24%)

nI0I6Hk.png

TOP 40 ENTERTAINMENT SOFTWARE (ALL PRICES) April 2016 (Apr 3rd - Apr 30th)

01 (NE) DARK SOULS III (BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT) ~ 85,000 / NEW
02 (NE) RATCHET & CLANK (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) ~ 57,000 / NEW
03 (01) TOM CLANCY'S THE DIVISION (UBISOFT)
04 (NE) DIRT RALLY (CODEMASTERS)
05 (NE) QUANTUM BREAK (MICROSOFT)
06 (01) CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS III (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
07 (03) EA SPORTS UFC 2 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
08 (04) FIFA 16 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
09 (02) FAR CRY PRIMAL (UBISOFT)
10 (06) GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2)
11 (10) STAR WARS BATTLEFRONT (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
12 (08) LEGO MARVEL AVENGERS (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)
13 (07) PLANTS VS ZOMBIES: GARDEN WARFARE 2 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
14 (15) LEGO JURASSIC WORLD (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)
15 (11) TOM CLANCY'S RAINBOW 6: SIEGE (UBISOFT)
16 (19) WWE 2K16 (TAKE 2)
17 (14) MINECRAFT: XBOX EDITION (MICROSOFT)
18 (18) MINECRAFT: STORY MODE (TELLTALE GAMES)
19 (20) MINECRAFT: PLAYSTATION EDITION (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
20 (25) DESTINY: THE TAKEN KING (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
21 (24) DISNEY INFINITY 3.0 (DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS)
22 (NE) STAR FOX ZERO (NINTENDO)
23 (12) FORZA MOTORSPORT 6 (MICROSOFT)
24 (NE) MXGP 2: THE OFFICIAL MOTOCROSS VIDEOGAME (PQUBE)
25 (17) ASSASSIN'S CREED: SYNDICATE (UBISOFT)
26 (16) FALLOUT 4 (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS)
27 (23) JUST CAUSE 3 (SQUARE ENIX EUROPE)
28 (21) UNCHARTED: THE NATHAN DRAKE COLLECTION (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
29 (34) UEFA EURO 2016 PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER (KONAMI)
30 (__) BATMAN: ARKHAM KNIGHT (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)
31 (31) TERRARIA (505 GAMES)
32 (__) NBA 2K16 (TAKE 2)
33 (__) TRACKMANIA TURBO (UBISOFT)
34 (__) LEGO STAR WARS: THE COMPLETE SAGA (LUCASARTS)
35 (26) HALO 5: GUARDIANS (MICROSOFT)
36 (32) LEGO DIMENSIONS (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)
37 (29) METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN (KONAMI)
38 (__) RUGBY CHALLENGE 3 (ALTERNATIVE SOFTWARE)
39 (13) POKKÉN TOURNAMENT (NINTENDO)
40 (__) NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. U + SUPER LUIGI (NINTENDO)

Source: GFK Chart-Track via MCV magazine.

UK Monthly Charts - February 2016
UK Monthly Charts - March 2016

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Digital is taking a huge chunk now i think

Eggbok

I don't really understand why this is becoming so big in the console space - the prices are high, the games can't be resold, and they take up huge portions of the console's small hard drives.

Convenience I imagine. I imagine a lot people choose digital over physical a lot more now because when a game releases they can play it the moment it's available. They don't have to wait in line at a midnight launch or wait until the next day, etc.

liquidtmd

Banned
I don't really understand why this is becoming so big in the console space - the prices are high, the games can't be resold, and they take up huge portions of the console's small hard drives.

Anecdotal - I'm on PS4 and have bought a surprising amount digital, but only during US or UK sales.

The digital RRP prices on PSN are silly but there's been some amazing bargains I couldn't pass up during sale territory

Toli08

Convenience of not having cases laying around every where and the it's easy to just switch from game to game. Once I got unlimated data I went full on digital because I hate the clutter of all the cases.

I recently switched entirely to digital on console simply because I'm tired of discs and cases. I'm just tired of them laying around and taking up space

One of the major reasons I think it's going up is because of game sharing. Two people pitch in 50% each of the cost and both of you get the game for half the price.

Bruno MB

03 (01) TOM CLANCY'S THE DIVISION (UBISOFT)

Tom Clancy's The Division is getting close to half million mark.

05 (NE) QUANTUM BREAK (MICROSOFT)

Quantum Break should be around 40,000 - 45,000 units.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter if you buy retail or digital for hard drive space, the entire game gets installed either way on PS4 and Xbox One. Once you install from disc and update on either console, the disc exists only for DRM purposes as an ownership check.

Mario007

Not in EU with obscene launch pricing, though it leads to people buying through the US or splitting the cost with a friend or both...

ps3ud0 8)

In Ireland every new game launches for 75 euro. I can get some of them for 70 or even 60 on PSN.

I shouldn't be shocked, but wow at those Wii U and 3DS numbers. Especially 3DS. Nintendo really is dead here. Dead and buried.

P.S. What is dead will never die.

Trup1aya

Digital is convienient. some people are interested in playing their games beyond the period where reselling is worthwhile. Digital storage is expandable.

It's also Easy to share games

There's instant gratification at launch. no worries about damage/loss/theft of physical media. It's easier to travel with a catalog.

I'm basically at a point where if I don't see a game as worth buying digitally at launch, then I Rent it or wait till its digital price drops or its comes to ps+ GWG.

The concept of buying/selling a game really isn't cost effective. If you sell a game shortly after launch, it would have probably been cheaper to rent it. If you keep the game for an extended period of time, it would have been more beneficial to download it.

Holy crap those 360 number. Maybe it could live in 2017 with those software sales. With the stock that's left.

Also DAMN Wii U is dead in UK 360/PS3 wins again. Nobody is buying WIi U games.

Mario007

Is €75 for new games the RRP or is it just gamestop taking the piss here?

Gamestop and hmv taking the piss but with tesco not really having a great selection of games, Argos slowly joining the 75 gametag it seems to be the norm. I mean the cheapest retail Uncharted 4 was in Lidl for 70.

RE4

look at these vita numbers, wow. didnt think it was THAT dead.
but i am not sure what i expected.

but good to know NISA can survive with these numbers

Very interesting!

Given the 20%+ average digital sales for retail games and the huge number of titles that are digital only, I'd expect that that would handily make up the YOY declines and then some, even with last gen, the WiiU and dedicated handhelds cratering.

I'm kind of shocked at how poorly the 3DS is performing though, as well as its software sales. Brits just don't give a rats arse about Nintendo, even when it's not being a total fuck up and got a great library and release schedule.

PS4 and XO sales are really nice though, even without that many huge releases, it's clear there's still a very healthy home console market out there for the right products.

BKK

Thanks for collating. It's worth noting that Easter fell in April last year, but in March this year, which probably explains the drop in sales YoY.

BKK

Not in EU with obscene launch pricing, though it leads to people buying through the US or splitting the cost with a friend or both...

ps3ud0 8)

Yet GAME still have 1/3 of the UK market with their obscene launch pricing. There's a significant proportion of people who don't care about price enough to shop about.

Not in the UK

Half price digital is really just full price retail

Not true. I generally buy from Microsoft's HK or OS digital stores, but I got QB for £45, directly of the UK Xbox store-front 3 days prior to its launch. CD Keys were also selling it for £35 prior to release. Microsoft do price their own games more reasonably though

Prices aren't always high though, just wait for sales or switch store-fronts. As for hdd space, retail games have to be installed too.

Withnail

Not in the UK

Half price digital is really just full price retail

This isn't true at all. You need to be comparing online to actual UK retailers and not VAT dodging websites selling grey imports. If you compare eg the supermarkets and PSN you might see retail is 5-20% cheaper (it varies by publisher) but that kind of difference can be made up for by buying cheap PSN/XBL credit.

If there isn't a huge price differential I will buy digital because I don't want the discs.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Just one recently ratchet n clank is cheaper through psn. N still sold well at retail.be nice to see digital numbers

You've got to be very silly to buy off UK PSN, the prices are a joke to say the least. I purchased UC4 digitally but from the Canada store which saved me a bit of cash, the UK PSN store price in comparison was an absolute joke.

I do think people are buying digitally more now, it's not a stupid number but maybe 10% digitally sounds about right. I did it for UC4 and will do it for GT Sport which will be a game I play for years, wouldn't even consider UK PSN to get those though. The £ has started picking up again compared to the Candian $ so even more of a reason to stick with the Canada PSN store.

MANUELF

Banned
Im the only one that miss the ELSPA sales awards? They were SOOOOOOO good to get sales numbers for new and older titles

LewieP

This isn't true at all. You need to be comparing online to actual UK retailers and not VAT dodging websites selling grey imports. If you compare eg the supermarkets and PSN you might see retail is 5-20% cheaper (it varies by publisher) but that kind of difference can be made up for by buying cheap PSN/XBL credit.

If there isn't a huge price differential I will buy digital because I don't want the discs.
Yes if you ignore the most competitive retailers, the difference between how competitive retail and digital prices are is lessened.

silva1991

01 (NE) DARK SOULS III (BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT) ~ 85,000 / NEW
02 (NE) RATCHET & CLANK (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) ~ 57,000 / NEW

makes me very happy.

it's rare for me to see games I actually care about in the top.

Withnail

Yes if you ignore the most competitive retailers, the difference between how competitive retail and digital prices are is lessened.

They're not "more competitive", they're selling a different product and/or avoiding tax. If you're going to make a comparison it should be like with like.

Tizoc

Isnt the install data of ps4 games= full download size of digital ver?
Why get a fancy box when the game ur playing takes up as much space as its digital ver

LewieP

They're not "more competitive", they're selling a different product and/or avoiding tax. If you're going to make a comparison it should be like with like.

Nonsense.

I'm not arguing that these companies shouldn't be forced to pay an appropriate amount of tax. But to suggest that to the majority of consumers the prices that Amazon somehow don't count because of their tax practices is insanity.

Their prices are more competitive, that's a fact, not an opinion.

Can you give me a detailed breakdown of Sony and Microsoft's tax practices? For purchases from PSN and Xbox Live, they are the retailer, and I am extremely confident that they engage in similar tax avoidance strategies as Amazon do.

Withnail

Nonsense.

I'm not arguing that these companies shouldn't be forced to pay an appropriate amount of tax. But to suggest that to the majority of consumers the prices that Amazon somehow don't count because of their tax practices is insanity.

Their prices are more competitive, that's a fact, not an opinion.

Can you give me a detailed breakdown of Sony and Microsoft's tax practices? For purchases from PSN and Xbox Live, they are the retailer, and I am extremely confident that they engage in similar tax avoidance strategies as Amazon do.

I'm not talking about business rates, I'm talking about VAT. Amazon is a fair comparison with PSN/XBL because they are selling a UK product incurring VAT. Consequently the Amazon price is usually not massively different to online, often <10%. The point is not Amazon etc but the small sites like thatgamecollection etc which sell grey imports.

LewieP

I'm not talking about business rates, I'm talking about VAT. Amazon is a fair comparison with PSN/XBL because they are selling a UK product incurring VAT. Consequently the Amazon price is usually not massively different to online, often <10%. The point is not Amazon etc but the small sites like thatgamecollection etc which sell grey imports.

Even if you decide to arbitrarily limit the comparison to Amazon, GAME, Shopto and the supermarkets, the price different between digital purchases and retail is often greater than 10%.

Edit: It's not uncommon for games priced at £59.99 on PSN to be available for around £40 at one of the retailers I mentioned above.

Top Bottom