• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your worst tales of procrastination?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aesius

This is relatively weak compared to most of my other stories, but I have a speech due at 6:00 p.m. tomorrow and barely have anything done. I will probably end up reading it entirely off of note cards.

But my proudest/simultaneously most shameful procrastination moment has to be from a couple of semesters ago in my Mass Media Law class. Almost everyone was doing horrible in the class, so the professor offered to replace our lowest exam grade (there were only 3 and those were the only grades) if we completed a 12-page paper on the Patriot Act. Since I had a 30 on my lowest exam (didn't study), I took up his offer. He assigned the paper in October and it was due on a random date in early December at 11 p.m. in his inbox.

Of course, I didn't start until 6 p.m. that night. I started typing, got four sentences written, and almost had a complete nervous breakdown at the herculean task before me. I started pacing around my living room and pulling at my hair. I then spent the next 20 minutes contemplating what would happen if I simply didn't do the paper and failed the class. That turned into fantasizing about dropping out of college and living a life of a blue collar manual laborer. Wild things start running through your mind in moments of great desperation like that. I almost convinced myself to just give up and go get drunk, but somehow the little voice of reason inside me prevailed.

Finally, I buckled down and through sheer willpower finished it at 10:45 p.m. It was the most focused I have ever been on a single assignment. I know nothing about the Patriot Act, and we had to have 10 sources. I ended up abusing the hell out of Google Books and a trial subscription to Questia to finish it.

I ended up getting an A on the paper and a B in the class. I shudder to think what would have happened if my spotty internet connection had decided to go out at any point during that 5 hour period. Sadly, I did not learn my lesson in any way and continue to procrastinate, just like I'm doing right now :(

So what kind of horrible procrastination stories do you guys have?

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Aesius said:
This is relatively weak compared to most of my other stories, but I have a speech due at 6:00 p.m. tomorrow and barely have anything done. I will probably end up reading it entirely off of note cards.

But my proudest/simultaneously most shameful procrastination moment has to be from a couple of semesters ago in my Mass Media Law class. Almost everyone was doing horrible in the class, so the professor offered to replace our lowest exam grade (there were only 3 and those were the only grades) if we completed a 12-page paper on the Patriot Act. Since I had a 30 on my lowest exam (didn't study), I took up his offer. He assigned the paper in October and it was due on a random date in early December at 11 p.m. in his inbox.

Of course, I didn't start until 6 p.m. that night. I started typing, got four sentences written, and almost had a complete nervous breakdown at the herculean task before me. I started pacing around my living room and pulling at my hair. I then spent the next 20 minutes contemplating what would happen if I simply didn't do the paper and failed the class. That turned into fantasizing about dropping out of college and living a life of a blue collar manual laborer. Wild things start running through your mind in moments of great desperation like that. I almost convinced myself to just give up and go get drunk, but somehow the little voice of reason inside me prevailed.

Finally, I buckled down and through sheer willpower finished it at 10:45 p.m. It was the most focused I have ever been on a single assignment. I know nothing about the Patriot Act, and we had to have 10 sources. I ended up abusing the hell out of Google Books and a trial subscription to Questia to finish it.

I ended up getting an A on the paper and a B in the class. I shudder to think what would have happened if my spotty internet connection had decided to go out at any point during that 5 hour period. Sadly, I did not learn my lesson in any way and continue to procrastinate, just like I'm doing right now :(

So what kind of horrible procrastination stories do you guys have?

That actually happens to me a lot. I get so sick of struggling and failing these bullshit pre-req college courses and I just feel like dropping out all together and doing something that feels more worthwhile.

In fact, I feel like doing that again tonight. I can't make a lick of my Calculus, I can barely keep my eyes open, and becoming a mechanic looks pretty good right now...

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
ahoyhoy said:
That actually happens to me a lot. I get so sick of struggling and failing these bullshit pre-req college courses and I just feel like dropping out all together and doing something that feels more worthwhile.

In fact, I feel like doing that again tonight. I can't make a lick of my Calculus, I can barely keep my eyes open, and becoming a mechanic looks pretty good right now...
same here.

NotWii

Banned
One time at uni, I decided to play Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory for 20mins instead of finishing off my assignment, I ended up submitting that assignment 20mins late

:|

My propensity for procrastination is so embarrassingly deep I don't even want to get into it. There are decisions I've put off for years at a time. I often wonder what would happen if I ever met an irresistible force.

Omie

The only thing I've learned about procrastinating is that if you leave things to the last minute, they only take a minute to finish.

Bleepey

The number of times in a fit of panic i have pulled of dissertations, papers etc etc. Oh boy i should learn by now.

I'm procrastinating right now! I'm supposed to have a 45-minute presentation prepared for job training on Saturday, but I haven't even started. I know it'll come because I work best under pressure.

Aesius said:
Sadly, I did not learn my lesson in any way and continue to procrastinate, just like I'm doing right now :(

I'd say you leared that you can slack off as long as you want, provided you put the crunch in at the end. :D

Ventrue

I complete things in an organised manner well in advance of when they need to be done. I reason that I can have fun now but be worrying about stuff in the back of my mind, or have fun later stress free.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Ventrue said:
I complete things in an organised manner well in advance of when they need to be done. I reason that I can have fun now but be worrying about stuff in the back of my mind, or have fun later stress free.
that's a good line of logic but for some reason i cant help but think that death is always around the corner and that i need to eat the red/clear gummis first since theyre the best.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I put in the most effort in my university course within the final 12 hours of a deadline.

My current job doesn't do anything to alleviate my procrastination either. I can work my magic and pull lessons out of a hat really.

I'm ashamed of my procrastination, I really wish I wasn't burdened by it.

Resilient

The last time I procrastinated real hard was when I had to complete a set of pre Uni semester Calculus tests which I did about 2 days before they were due. I stressed a fair bit because they were worth 7% of the course. I somehow got 93, 93, 72 and 93 on the tests.

Lately I've been making an effort to stop with it and get things done before time, but right now I'm playing Pokemon when I should be studying for my Statics course.

Had a test at 11 am on a monday, pushed off studying til sunday night. Played video games until 3 am instead, then decided I'd study better with a little sleep so I took a nap. Woke up at 6 am with enough time to cram an hour for each chapter (5 chapter test.) Went back to sleep until 9 am instead, then hit snooze until 12, then just slept for the rest of the day.

With the test missed, I put off e-mailing the professor for a week. Finally did and convinced him to give me a make up test. For make up test, read above paragraph again. Failed the class. Would have retaken it the next semester since repeat classes replace your old grades, but I had already failed it two times before so I reached my limit and am stuck with a permanent F on my transcript.

That's not the only class that's happened in.

Heh, I'm writing a paper about themes in Jorge Luis Borges' work right now. It's due in about 5 hours.

Making good progress though so I afforded my self a little 15 minute smoke/Gaf break. Won't be getting any sleep until after classes though.

Hehe, right now as well. I've got my last exam tomorrow, only the master thesis after that. And even now, for the very last exam, it's extremely difficult to close this browser and just start already.

And yes, I'm familiar with your feelings of pure desperation, I've known them many times over the past few years. Somehow trying to grasp and mould extremely difficult material into a coherent paper in just one night is very trying, it can break a man :lol.

I've managed to pull through though.... almost there.

Firestorm

Well this is a 750 word opinion piece that should take me half an hour to write but somehow I'm here on GAF and I "started" 3 hours ago.

elwes

Worst procrastination I've ever done: Every single day of college I attended while getting my bachelors.

There was one semester where I had two separate psychology courses that did not count attendance. I would just show up, take the test, get an A (miraculously), then not show up till the next test. One of the finals was cumulative and worth half of my grade and aside from reading enough to know what was going on for the tests before the final, I literally knew jack shit going into it.

I think I crammed 13 chapters worth of reading into about 3-4 hours of studying. Didn't get an A on the final, but somehow managed a B.

There was also one semester where my stepmom didn't tell me about the notice in the mail that the first payment for my classes was due in a week. I ended up being dropped from all of them and had to take stupid, shitty worthless ones. That entire semester was plagued with not going to class, waiting until the last minute to study for tests and do homework. Ended up tanking my GPA hard.

edit: Oh, and to clarify, I majored in english, and there were semesters where I had a multiple papers due every week. I don't think I have ever written a paper that I didn't finish the night before.

I went back to school after I got my bachelors and kicked ass with little to no procrastination. Was a pretty stupid teen/young adult. D:

Yesterday, I put off writing a 10 page term paper for my paleontology class until 6 or so hours before it was due. Granted, it was only a rough draft, but the fact that I got it (mostly) done will only encourage me to do the same damn thing when the final draft is due.

Today I have an outline and bibliography due for another term paper in my environmental geology class, and I have yet to gather any significant references or start fleshing out my outline. That would be bad enough, but the fact that it's already a month late makes it even worse.

I've done much, much worse though. I won't get into it now, but suffice it to say that procrastination, (along with working a couple of dead-end jobs and switching my major/course of study several times), is a large part of the reason it took me well over 4 fucking years (!) to make it out of community college and transfer to a 4-yr university.

I procrastinated asking out my crush of 6 years during middle and high school. She ended up becoming Bi and ruining many a straight girls lives apparently after their parents found out. I COULD HAVE SAVED HER FROM TURNING, GAF.

moojito

Aesius said:
That turned into fantasizing about dropping out of college and living a life of a blue collar manual laborer. Wild things start running through your mind in moments of great desperation like that. I almost convinced myself to just give up and go get drunk, but somehow the little voice of reason inside me prevailed.

Finally, I buckled down and through sheer willpower finished it at 10:45 p.m.

My tale involves choosing the other option.

RedShift

That reminds me, one word that I'm sure many of you are familiar with even if you've never heard it.

Procrastibation.

Firestorm

Darklord said:
I'm basically in a constant state of procrastination. It annoys me but I can't be fucked doing anything about it.
That feeling of not even being able to play a video game because you feel guilty about the work you just know you should get to sucks.

I usually procrastinate but never neglect. I put up essays etc but will almost always finish them on time without having to pull an all-nighter. And I wouldn't be able to play and enjoy video games if I know there is something that really really needs to be done.

Firestorm

oh awesome this is due during my tutorial (2:30) and not during my lecture (8:30AM). Got a two hour break tomorrow. Guess I can go to bed!

Apath

I don't think I've ever typed an English paper the day it wasn't due in all of my highschool career.
I would never do science lab reports. Ever. Funny enough you can still earn a C- getting As on the tests anyways.

What sucks is now I'm in college and when I have an 8 page thesis paper to write up that is supposed to involve extensive research, and due in two weeks, I know I'm going to wait until the night before to do it.

And when a teacher doesn't take attendence, I don't attend. Unfortunitely you end up missing a lot of necessary information and have to drop a few classes. At least I now attend my classes :p

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
I sit on the toilet and go "why the fuck is this the most comfortable seat ever invented!?" even when something else beckons i say "fuck you im doing science in here!".

AnkitT

Government-man said:
I usually procrastinate but never neglect. I put up essays etc but will almost always finish them on time without having to pull an all-nighter. And I wouldn't be able to play and enjoy video games if I know there is something that really really needs to be done.
This.

I have yet to get to a point where I think to myself "I'm fucked" during my college time yet.

I haven't been to my 8 o clock tuesday/thursday class in 2 weeks. Today I woke up at 6 just so i could make it on time. I got on the computer, and 6 turned into 7. I said "Fuck it, ill leave at 7:45 and just brush my teeth (no shower) before i go" and continued my NeoGAFing. 7 turned into 7:45 and I said "I'll go 30 mins late.. not like anyone cares."

It is now 9:15. I haven't moved yet. Class ends in 30 mins. I havent brushed my teeth yet.

Shiv47

I was taking a biological anthropology class in college and that semester, even more than the others, I just didn't give a shit. No attendance was taken as it was a lecture class, so I never went, never did the reading. Managed to scrape a B in the lab, but when the final rolled around, I realized I was fucked. Since the final was a multiple choice thing on scantron paper, in a panic I decided there was one option: cheat like a motherfucker. I picked someone who looked like they had their shit together and copied their answers. Actually got a A, but I was shitting it until my grades came in the mail. Did it teach me anything about not procrastinating? Eh...no.

There have been three separate nights this week that I haven't slept because of my ridiculous procrastination. This is the worst string in a while. It's like everything in every class is due this week, and I have done none of it.

Shiv47 said:
I was taking a biological anthropology class in college and that semester, even more than the others, I just didn't give a shit. No attendance was taken as it was a lecture class, so I never went, never did the reading. Managed to scrape a B in the lab, but when the final rolled around, I realized I was fucked. Since the final was a multiple choice thing on scantron paper, in a panic I decided there was one option: cheat like a motherfucker. I picked someone who looked like they had their shit together and copied their answers. Actually got a A, but I was shitting it until my grades came in the mail. Did it teach me anything about not procrastinating? Eh...no.

Of course not, because it all worked out in the end. I've realized that the only way to curb this terrible habit of mine is to fail miserably at something because of my procrastination. But unfortunately, it has not come back to bite me yet, so I keep doing it.

Tarazet

I meant to take a shower this morning. I have to get to work in 30 minutes. It takes 40 minutes to drive to work.

I wish this was a less common occurrence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom