• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 gaining USB storage support in spring 2010 update...16gb cap? smh

iceatcs

Oh bugger, 16GB. Why?

At least better than nothing or 512MB, look like I will need cable transfer better this way.

Dead Man Typing said:
April 6th! Wow, I wasn't expecting this update until around E3 time, in June.

I need to go buy a 16GB USB stick.

Edit:

The Xbox will already play compatible media from a USB flash drive, or hard drive. I'm not clear on what you're asking here.

Wha-wha-whaaaaat? Mine doesn't work for some reason.. it just doesn't detect it.. does it have to be FAT32 or NTFS or whatever to detect it? I might have to reformat... OHMAHGAD

cjelly said:
Trying to find a USB flash drive that would be small enough to fit underneath the faceplate...
If you have the nack for opening up stuff and maybe bending some parts :p you could maybe work out how to turn a memory stick into an L shape one, or something.

I just thought, the back of my PC glows blue due to my PSU, and my forza stick glows orange (and I want to keep it in the rear USB port of my 360) :lol

SmokyDave

cjelly said:
Trying to find a USB flash drive that would be small enough to fit underneath the faceplate...
?

You shouldn't have any problems at all. I have a 16gb Sandisk key that I've been using for ages and it isn't terribly svelte or anything.

cjelly said:

Something like the MicroSDHC reader below should fit though it still might be a bit long minus the string of course.

21157_1255348394.jpg

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Micro-SDHC/Kingston/Kingston-16GB-Micro-SD-Card-Multi-Kit-+-G2-Reader

-edit-
Found the Dimensions for the reader.
Dimensions — 0.984" x 0.478" x 0.104" (24.99mm x 12.14mm x 2.64mm)

mentalfloss said:
Wha-wha-whaaaaat? Mine doesn't work for some reason.. it just doesn't detect it.. does it have to be FAT32 or NTFS or whatever to detect it? I might have to reformat... OHMAHGAD

Gotta be FAT32 formatted, NTFS drives won't show. But yeah, you can watch avi/mp4/wmv off them. Been that way..... since forever!

You shouldn't have any problems at all. I have a 16gb Sandisk key that I've been using for ages and it isn't terribly svelte or anything.

I think he means something that is small enough that will enable the little faceplate flap to shut whilst the USB drive is inserted.

Sony Micro Vault Tiny is the smallest I've seen, £34.99 for 8gb on play, but I think even that will be too big. Shame no-one does tiny ickle ones like those bluetooth/mouse receivers.

edit:
Something like the MicroSDHC reader below should fit though it still might be a bit long minus the string of course.

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Micro-SDHC...-+-G2-Reader

Oh snap, didn't even think of that. You can get tiny ones off ebay for about a quid

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mini-USB-Micr...aphy_MemoryCardReaders_RL?hash=item3cab6af4bf

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I wonder if this update will fix a music streaming issue that I and some other people have:

Ever since the NXE went into effect, I can't reliably stream mp3s from any flash device I try in any port on my 360. No matter where the device was formatted, what format, which mp3s (including files that worked the day before the NXE update). The system takes upwards of 6 minutes sitting locked up to read the files, refuses to play some files sometimes (but not every time), and sometimes takes 2 - 3 minutes to switch tracks. Yeeeeeah.

I've searched on this ever since it started. A few other random people have the same problem but nobody has ever found a fix.

Just noticed that the forza 3 usb stick doesn't fit in the back usb port because the 360 case is too tight :( looks like it will be sticking out of the front then!

Kaijima said:
I wonder if this update will fix a music streaming issue that I and some other people have:

Ever since the NXE went into effect, I can't reliably stream mp3s from any flash device I try in any port on my 360. No matter where the device was formatted, what format, which mp3s (including files that worked the day before the NXE update). The system takes upwards of 6 minutes sitting locked up to read the files, refuses to play some files sometimes (but not every time), and sometimes takes 2 - 3 minutes to switch tracks. Yeeeeeah.

I've searched on this ever since it started. A few other random people have the same problem but nobody has ever found a fix.

I've had that problem. The solution I found was the 360 was hanging on some images that had been dumped in with the MP3's. A friend of mine got me to download his home-produced album, and whenever I tried to get the 360 to play it, it would hang just as you described. I deleted the album cover image and then had no problems playing it at all. Don't know why that happened, but maybe it's something you could try.

S1kkZ

i didnt expect that you can install games on usb AND that they can run/load even faster (depends on the stick). also: the feature to copy all of your saves at once is pretty awesome.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Dead Man Typing said:
I've had that problem. The solution I found was the 360 was hanging on some images that had been dumped in with the MP3's. A friend of mine got me to download his home-produced album, and whenever I tried to get the 360 to play it, it would hang just as you described. I deleted the album cover image and then had no problems playing it at all. Don't know why that happened, but maybe it's something you could try.

Hmmm.....

My MP3 library is tidy with proper album covers inserted into each file. Given that his began with the NXE I wonder if NXE is screwed up with regards to reading MP3s with album covers attached. That could be it.

Kaijima said:
Hmmm.....

My MP3 library is tidy with proper album covers inserted into each file. Given that his began with the NXE I wonder if NXE is screwed up with regards to reading MP3s with album covers attached. That could be it.

Hopefully it's something that Microsoft is aware of, and will get fixed with this update.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
MiloFoxburr said:
sionyboy's suggestion is even better and would work out less than £45 if you can find a cheap 16gb MicroSD Card.
Would there be any speed difference between one of those USB MicroSD adapters vs a standard USB flash drive?

Vamphuntr

Will it be possible to do backup of DLC with this? For example, the bioware games are full of DLC pack, DLC preorder item and stuff. Can I make a backup of these on a usb stick and copy them back at a later date. I suppose the servers aren't going to be online forever and it would be nice to have a copy of these.

Also, if you download them from the in game menu and not directly from live you can run them without being connected online so it's really nice.

Apoc29

wayward archer said:
Wow I might finally have a use for that USB hub that came with rock band. :D

Need to dig through my basement and find that thing.
It comes with a warning label that says "only use for Rock Band instruments"...not saying it won't work for other things, I've just never tried.

cjelly said:
Would there be any speed difference between one of those USB MicroSD adapters vs a standard USB flash drive?

Think the read speed will be pretty similar to your average USb drive, write speeds will be dependent upon the class rating.

Vamphuntr said:
Will it be possible to do backup of DLC with this? For example, the bioware games are full of DLC pack, DLC preorder item and stuff. Can I make a backup of these on a usb stick and copy them back at a later date. I suppose the servers aren't going to be online forever and it would be nice to have a copy of these.

Also, if you download them from the in game menu and not directly from live you can run them without being connected online so it's really nice.

The only way the servers aren't online in the future is if MS decides to shut off Xbox Live for the 360 (much as they did with the original Xbox). I doubt that will happen though.

Great stuff, finally something open that people can actually have use with Microsoft. Now only in time will that 16GB can be increased so that everyone can start using their external hard drives with the 360 :D

Vamphuntr said:

I am hoping the same thing. I don't trust them to keep all the Dr. Pepper/random promo armor stuff up forever.

If like the old memory units, when you copy something over it removes it from it's previous location to stop duplicates. So sticking that rare DLC onto a memory pen would remove it from your HDD most probably.

infinityBCRT said:
The only way the servers aren't online in the future is if MS decides to shut off Xbox Live for the 360 (much as they did with the original Xbox). I doubt that will happen though.

What gives you any reason to doubt it considering they are shutting down the servers for the original Xbox?

I'm at the Major Nelson panel at PAX. e says to make sure you use a good quality USB device, otherwise it could be really slow. He also said a USB had drive will be slower than a regular USB stick.

Oh yeah and Major says you can install games to a USB device.

Neuromancer said:
I'm at the Major Nelson panel at PAX. e says to make sure you use a good quality USB device, otherwise it could be really slow. He also said a USB had drive will be slower than a regular USB stick.

Arcade games, or retail ones?

edit: nice scoop!

darkwings said:
so I cant use my 32GB stick? that sucks

No you can, but probably only 16gb of it. You may just create 2 partitions on your stick. 16gb for your 360 and 16gb for other uses with your computer.

I just remembered I have a 16gb flash drive. Awesome!

clashfan

Neuromancer said:

What is considered good quality?

Pooya

clashfan said:
What is considered good quality?
the official ones from Sandisk of course :lol
I have a few from Kingston and they are very fast.
I've heard good things from OCZ too.

h3ro

Finally a way to back up my saves without picking up those memory cards. :D

I'm going to permanently plant my Forza III 2GB drive right in the rear USB port.

Threi

notag
so...a cheap USB enclosure for a 2.5" PATA Laptop HDD won't cut it huh...

*edit*

25MB/s read speed. Why the hell wouldn't that be enough...

So the 360 has 3 usb ports on the console (2 front 1 in the back)
(and so mentioned here before) with the rock band 1 usb adapter you could in theory hook up a lot more 16 gig usb flash drives at once.
But you can only use 2 at once because......?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I still have a good deal of room on my 20GB HDD since I don't keep a lot of stuff, but this will be awesome for doing back-ups, and will definitely make me less paranoid about ever losing certain things. DexDrive forever!

The Dutch Slayer said:
So the 360 has 3 usb ports on the console (2 front 1 in the back)
(and so mentioned here before) with the rock band 1 usb adapter you could in theory hook up a lot more 16 gig usb flash drives at once.
But you can only use 2 at once because......?
MS still want to sell hdd's and imo two at once is plenty if you can just swap them out.

You want your 360 looking like a porcupine? :p

Top Bottom