• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII Hype

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
GrayFoxPL said:
Any news of it coming to PS3?

Nah, SNK is doing 360 only for SEN, they are idiots, since Japan main platform is the DS, Wii and PS3. They are also losing a lot of money of releasing the online games in 360 worldwide, it would make sense in US only, but Japan too? No wonder they are running out of money! :lol

If they release online remakes on the PSN, then I would had supported that, but instead they are doing in the 360 only with that crappy D-pad. :mad:

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
-DarKaoZ- said:
There are intros, but they are like SVC Chaos style.

Wait... what!? You like guys with man boobs!? :lol

Well..uh.no. They could have Yashiro with no shirt and his chest all puffing. I prefer Kyo but he's like still in HS or something.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Kadey said:
Well..uh.no. They could have Yashiro with no shirt and his chest all puffing. I prefer Kyo but he's like still in HS or something.

Oh ok, for a second there I thought you wanted KOF characters to have RUFUS Physics in them. :lol

j/k

Fersis said:
@___@

Worst April fools joke ever. ;___;

Yashiro is all kind of hawt.

That Aprils Fools Joke is really well done, you can even notice PLAYMORE in the green lighted Billboard on the right side of RYU name from the HUD. Its well done.

And yes, Yashiro is a sexy beast! :lol

main_v_yashiro_e.jpg

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
-DarKaoZ- said:
Nah, SNK is doing 360 only for SEN, they are idiots, since Japan main platform is the DS, Wii and PS3. They are also losing a lot of money of releasing the online games in 360 worldwide, it would make sense in US only, but Japan too? No wonder they are running out of money! :lol

If they release online remakes on the PSN, then I would had supported that, but instead they are doing in the 360 only with that crappy D-pad. :mad:

PS2 has a built in SNK fanbase from all their PS2/PSP/PS1 releases, I just don't think they're ignoring them just because.

The D-pad thing is alot less important now too... there are loads of options out there now, and the "best" ones are shared between systems. And the Analog serves well enough for casual players.

GGPO + SNKP: Eh... I dunno how much to believe this. But you have to Admit, XIII would be the perfect fit for it. Capcom said SFIV's 3D took too much system resources to use GGPO, but I think XIII shouldn't be THAT much more demanding than SFIII. I'm sure much of WHY Blazblue's netcode works so well, if the GGPO stuff is to be believed, is because it's not super-taxing on the consoles. So more resources could be directed to frame-prediction/correction.

False until prove true, once again... but of course, I'm REALLY hoping for true. If they'd patch their OLD online games with it afterwards, too... That'd be a dream come true.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
-DarKaoZ- said:
That Aprils Fools Joke is really well done, you can even notice PLAYMORE in the green lighted Billboard on the right side of RYU name from the HUD. Its well done.

Arstal is talking about this:
SRK said:
[11:52am] <Ponder-> GGPO has been sold to Playmore/SNK
Its too good to be true. (Please dont make a thread about it!)

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Fersis said:

Oh snap... argh... I don't know what to believe anymore!

Info say that GGPO can't run well in Consoles with out modifications on the code and that kinda makes sense, but damn, I hope THAT is true!

Anyways, the CvsS3 joke is still well done!

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Haha, I just checked my Met Players on my PS3 and it turns out I fought DarKaoz on BB. I'm going to have to practice at KoF and see if I can actually win this time! :lol

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
InfiniteNine said:
Haha, I just checked my Met Players on my PS3 and it turns out I fought DarKaoz on BB. I'm going to have to practice at KoF and see if I can actually win this time! :lol

Holy damn, how long has that been then? Because I haven't played BB online for months! :lol

-DarKaoZ- said:

:lol

I'd put PSP WAAAY over PS3 in Japan.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Fersis said:

Yeah I think so also, but I want to believe so bad.

SNK does know what GGPO is too.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
GrayFoxPL said:
Yeah I'm interested in sen, but my 360 is covered in dust, I'm afraid it might explode after initial shock of booting up the game.

I played some XII(Fersis noticed and took me for a ride in his hype train - no bromance!) and I must say I don't know how I'll get around without zoom. It's just too much charm lost. They need to include it as an option.

I also must reconfirm it's the only game in the series when I like Athena. That old 70 anime style she's drawn is awesome. She always annoyed me out of my mind, pre-XII she acted, sounded and looked like a typical elitist high school whore who fucks only dumb guys that are into sports. Now she seems to be willing give head to anyone for a doughnut and a bag of chips. I like that.
:lol

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Athena- my favorite outfit for her was the 99 one, followed by 97.

As for gameplay- I liked XI Athena, but she needed a powerup. (XI was a bad KOF to be a mid tier in)

zlatko

Banned
So now that I've had an arcade stick I started playing a lot of SF4 to prepare for SSF4, BBCS, and KoF13. I've never committed myself to fighting games, but now that I have a stick I'm pumping nuts hours into SF4 to get better. I played from 6AM today to 10:30PM doing nothing but trials in challenge mode for all the characters.

Now I got to thinking how much I hate doing FADC's into moves, because it's SO uncomfortable for the fingers to do. Based off of what we've seen for KoF13 is there going to be a lot of uncomfy stuff here too? I think my last KoF was '99, and 12 I only played for 2 weeks before I sold it. I'm glad KoF has 4 buttons to worry about, and I know most of the complex stuff has to do with super and hyper hops, but I never learned if KoF has things similar to FADC to go super fast with your fingers in awful positions.

Will KoF13 have that or something less strenuous ?

GrayFoxPL

zlatko said:
So now that I've had an arcade stick I started playing a lot of SF4 to prepare for SSF4, BBCS, and KoF13. I've never committed myself to fighting games, but now that I have a stick I'm pumping nuts hours into SF4 to get better. I played from 6AM today to 10:30PM doing nothing but trials in challenge mode for all the characters.

Now I got to thinking how much I hate doing FADC's into moves, because it's SO uncomfortable for the fingers to do. Based off of what we've seen for KoF13 is there going to be a lot of uncomfy stuff here too? I think my last KoF was '99, and 12 I only played for 2 weeks before I sold it. I'm glad KoF has 4 buttons to worry about, and I know most of the complex stuff has to do with super and hyper hops, but I never learned if KoF has things similar to FADC to go super fast with your fingers in awful positions.

Will KoF13 have that or something less strenuous ?

FADC is a pain on a pad, so I agree.

It is known KOFXIII has these things:
lp+lk - roll/evade
hp+hk - blowback
lk+hp - hyper drive mode
lk+hk and lp+hp for using ex moves.

Most trouble may be with hyper mode that best used must be activated mid combo.

Yashiro, ah. He was hard to play but fun.
Whole orochi team is an intersting thing. Even in nineties they looked like an eighties dance band. But they had unique and stylish moves and were fun to play.

Also Yashiro pouring whole bottle of mineral watter on himself is my favorite "gesture" in any kof. :lol So different and I marvel how realistcaly the empty plastic bottle sounds and moves. Details! :lol

I wonder if there's possibility for them to come back in non dream match.
Imagine Chris in the new style. Wow.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
GrayFoxPL said:
FADC is a pain on a pad, so I agree.

It is known KOFXIII has these things:
lp+lk - roll/evade
hp+hk - blowback
lk+hp - hyper drive mode
lk+hk and lp+hp for using ex moves.

Most trouble may be with hyper mode that best used must be activated mid combo.

Yashiro, ah. He was hard to play but fun.
Whole orochi team is an intersting thing. Even in nineties they looked like an eighties dance band. But they had unique and stylish moves and were fun to play.

Also Yashiro pouring whole bottle of mineral watter on himself is my favorite "gesture" in any kof. :lol So different and I marvel how realistcaly the empty plastic bottle sounds and moves. Details! :lol

I wonder if there's possibility for them to come back in non dream match.
Imagine Chris in the new style. Wow.

I think the cancels are going to be used more then hyper mode.

Do those require hitting BC or just doing the move while in the animation of another move? I kinda hope i t's the latter- would be the simplest solution.

Overall, 13 controlwise should be easier then SSFIV in some areas, harder in others (DP's won't be as easy)

Fersis

So it was one of those April fool's joke?

Not funny... not funny at all.

GrayFoxPL

arstal said:
I think the cancels are going to be used more then hyper mode.

Do those require hitting BC or just doing the move while in the animation of another move? I kinda hope i t's the latter- would be the simplest solution.

Overall, 13 controlwise should be easier then SSFIV in some areas, harder in others (DP's won't be as easy)

Yeah, from the impressions I've read the drive cancels and ex are the most useful. Hyper drive ends when you're hit and it wastes the whole meter, so mid move activation is the best way but it's hard. Hong Kong players will be killing with this I'm sure. :lol

I'm almost 100% sure that drive cancels are instant. Hitting BC before every special would be a major pain. I like how the drive meter is thought off that first character can only do 2 drive cancels and it get's longer after loosing a guy, so the last one is in the best position with 4(or so) drive cancels. Best character for last!

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
GrayFoxPL said:
Yeah, from the impressions I've read the drive cancels and ex are the most useful. Hyper drive ends when you're hit and it wastes the whole meter, so mid move activation is the best way but it's hard. Hong Kong players will be killing with this I'm sure. :lol

I'm almost 100% sure that drive cancels are instant. Hitting BC before every special would be a major pain. I like how the drive meter is thought off that first character can only do 2 drive cancels and it get's longer after loosing a guy, so the last one is in the best position with 4(or so) drive cancels. Best character for last!

Hyper Drive will be used in mid-combo, like BC mode in 2k2. That Demo vid makes me think that it should be ok though- full hyper drive for 60% damage with last character is fair. If we start seeing 80%+, I'll worry a bit, or 60% on first characters, but even then I'm sure the drive cancels may get more use, as they're effectively roman cancels/rapids from BB.

I can see Mai's doing squirrel drive into ryuenbu, or her ninja bee drive cancel into squirrel dive to make her risky moves safer. Drive meter would allow her to play a little more aggressively. Her projectile seems real laggy though, so this might not be possible.
I'd have to see what the SBO peeps do with Mai.

I also wonder if Ash can use EX bubble bombs combined with a drive cancel to set up traps or maybe even unblockables. I see a lot of possiblitiies with this system outside of combing, though odds are combos will end up the main use.

I'm guessing super meter is insanely easy to build, so it may be best char last this time- unless counterpicking comes into play. I know in 98, I'd use my Mai vs Daimons plenty, and try to use Shermie against Iori (Shermie was my Anti-Iori due to her weep)

Yeah guys, sorry about that. I tried to caveat as I thought it was. I just am too hyped up to use common sense right now about this game.

GrayFoxPL

arstal said:
Hyper Drive will be used in mid-combo, like BC mode in 2k2. That Demo vid makes me think that it should be ok though- full hyper drive for 60% damage with last character is fair. If we start seeing 80%+, I'll worry a bit, or 60% on first characters, but even then I'm sure the drive cancels may get more use, as they're effectively roman cancels/rapids from BB.

I can see Mai's doing squirrel drive into ryuenbu, or her ninja bee drive cancel into squirrel dive to make her risky moves safer. Drive meter would allow her to play a little more aggressively. Her projectile seems real laggy though, so this might not be possible.
I'd have to see what the SBO peeps do with Mai.

I also wonder if Ash can use EX bubble bombs combined with a drive cancel to set up traps or maybe even unblockables. I see a lot of possiblitiies with this system outside of combing, though odds are combos will end up the main use.

I'm guessing super meter is insanely easy to build, so it may be best char last this time- unless counterpicking comes into play. I know in 98, I'd use my Mai vs Daimons plenty, and try to use Shermie against Iori (Shermie was my Anti-Iori due to her weep)

Yeah guys, sorry about that. I tried to caveat as I thought it was. I just am too hyped up to use common sense right now about this game.

I wonder how precise you'll have to be with drive cancels(not hyper drive) in XIII. In 2002 even in cancel mode the cancels had to be done on hit or nothing would happen.

I don't play Mai normally but I keep imagining this in my head:
qcb+k qcb+p is a combo right? Fan to fire.
So with 4 drive cancels it would be easy to:
qcb+k qcb+p x4 = 8 specials
And I don't count how many in hyper drive.

That seems too easy.
Question how damage scalling works.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
GrayFoxPL said:
I wonder how precise you'll have to be with drive cancels(not hyper drive) in XIII. In 2002 even in cancel mode the cancels had to be done on hit or nothing would happen.

I don't play Mai normally but I keep imagining this in my head:
qcb+k qcb+p is a combo right? Fan to fire.
So with 4 drive cancels it would be easy to:
qcb+k qcb+p x4 = 8 specials
And I don't count how many in hyper drive.

That seems too easy.
Question how damage scalling works.

I don't think she has the fan swipe in this. Just kachosen, ryuenbu, squirrel dive, ninja bee, and heard of a ryuenbu fake. (unsure here- but I didn't see anything else in the vids)

I doubt that combo would work anyways as it would push you back, you might be able to get one rep of it, that's it.

I can see grapplers getting mileage out of this, Raiden being able to shoulder ram into mist into grab into air throw, or mix up a super at some point. Chin if he keeps his in-close game could have all sorts of nasty.

I really hope Kagero no Mai comes back as Mai's other DM. It's one of the prettiest moves in the game, and Mai should be all about pretty moves. Shiranui Illusion is acceptable, especially if it has 2k2 Mai HSDM effects.

GrayFoxPL

arstal said:
I don't think she has the fan swipe in this. Just kachosen, ryuenbu, squirrel dive, ninja bee, and heard of a ryuenbu fake. (unsure here- but I didn't see anything else in the vids)

I doubt that combo would work anyways as it would push you back, you might be able to get one rep of it, that's it.

I can see grapplers getting mileage out of this, Raiden being able to shoulder ram into mist into grab into air throw, or mix up a super at some point. Chin if he keeps his in-close game could have all sorts of nasty.

I really hope Kagero no Mai comes back as Mai's other DM. It's one of the prettiest moves in the game, and Mai should be all about pretty moves. Shiranui Illusion is acceptable, especially if it has 2k2 Mai HSDM effects.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the push back effect.
I'm kind of afraid of grapplers in this. In few last videos Rexxx posted was Clark dominance.
He seemed unmoveable. I watched those videos and asked myself questions: "How would I beat him?" . "Normal throws? Some slow overheads? He'd just combo into argentina if I get close. Fuck." If CD charging was in XIII then maybe at least try that, but it's not.

Clark is scary now, no shit.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
GrayFoxPL said:
Oh yeah, I forgot about the push back effect.
I'm kind of afraid of grapplers in this. In few last videos Rexxx posted was Clark dominance.
He seemed unmoveable. I watched those videos and asked myself questions: "How would I beat him?" . "Normal throws? Some slow overheads? He'd just combo into argentina if I get close. Fuck." If CD charging was in XIII then maybe at least try that, but it's not.

Clark is scary now, no shit.

Honestly, that Clark vid- it looked like player difference to me, the other guy looked to be spazzing a bit.

CD charging wouldn't work vs Clark, he'd just evade it. People beat Clark all the time in the other KOFs, he's a good char, but he's rarely top tier.

Kyo and Iori are my big worries myself, as usual.

Fersis

Someone at SRK posted this picture of KOFXIII system menu:
screenshot20091024at951.jpg

Could be fake.

Is that Iori 98 I see? Also I noticed there's a voice option, so more English voice acting.

Nice avatar change Fersis.

EDIT: Ash has a stage, oh and Kula (!!!) I sure hope it's real, but it could be a late AFJ.

Fersis

SUPARSTARX said:
How many stages are going to be in KOFXIII so far? Seems like a lot?
The new ones: Japan,Jungle (Brazil?), England, India.
The KOF12 remixes: Egypt,France Cafe and the Stadium.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Fersis said:
The new ones: Japan,Jungle (Brazil?), England, India.
The KOF12 remixes: Egypt,France Cafe and the Stadium.

Don't forget we've also seen China stage as a playable remix. However, I don't think we've seen anyone FIGHT in the stadium yet.

I'd be happy with just these stages, if they each had between-round variations like Egypt. 9 or 10 fully fleshed out stages is better than a mass of 1-look wonders.

As far as teh GGPO thing... I's probably way to late to talk about netcode anywho, when consoles are barely even discussed yet. It'd be like hearing about what you're getting for Christmas, in August. Even if a deal was made, I'd think they'd want to make a big press release over it, and hype it some, rather than just have it leaked like this, anywho.

I have to say, offhand, I'm fairly interested in KoF Skystage. I really want SNKP to spread their vision and sustain themselves between Sprite-heavy KoF's with other genres, so speaking poorly of Skystage before playing would be stupid. The fact it's a new arcade game that directly targets XBLA, is also intriguing.

I love the idea Capcom has, releasing an XBLA prequel to Dead Rising 2 as something of a mix of a demo and advertising (that we get to pay for! Genius!). I'd love to see SNKP do something similiar. It's something I've though about ever since XII seemed like it wasn't going to pull $60 out of the masses (ok, probably even before then). Including related titles from the vast back catalog of SNK, or a single new bite-size title developed as a prquel, or just a fun bonus, like the old VMU games that came with certain Dreamcast games, would be very enjoyable, and help raise that percieved value of product once again.

The sports team does get beat-up EVERY year by some random team who steals their invites... a 3 stage beat-em-up done in some genesis-style graphics, like an old-school throwback, would be a nice little extra incentive. (Especially if it had it's own achievements and stuff, like the Fable Pub games.)

would be cool if they decide to remake some older stages from KoF someday, or even other SNK fighters. i'd like to see them in tasty HD.

how about the legendary pao pao cafe?

Varion

-DarKaoZ- said:

I dunno if a total series newcomer is better than nothing, but if so then here you go! Apologies for any mistakes, it's 6am :lol

Interviewer: Firstly, could you introduce yourself?

Yamamoto: I’m Yamamoto, the game design director for KOF13. I’m in charge of designing how the game will work.

Interviewer: Can you give us an outline of the systems in KOF13?

Yamamoto: Firstly, the new systems ‘Hyperdrive mode’, ‘EX Special Moves’/’EX Super Special Moves’ will be included. ‘Hyperdrive mode’ will be a positioned as a strengthening of ‘KOF-like speediness’, while the EX moves will be a strengthening of the tactical element. These will form the framework of KOF13. Furthermore, systems like throw break and Guard Cancel that weren’t in KOF12 will be revived from previous instalments. In addition there’s also another new system that will likely be KOF13’s biggest draw… but that’s a secret (laughs)

Interviewer: I see. The secret system does make me curious, but judging by what you’re saying, it seems like KOF13 will give the impression of being closer to previous games in the series than it is to KOF12. How come?

Yamamoto: Indeed. With KOF13, we’re aiming to make a game that fans of the series can play comfortably and use their experience of the series. This is the reason for reintroducing systems like throw break and guard cancel. On the other hand, we don’t want the game to be a simple copy of previous games in the series. We want to make a game that captures the fun and charm of the series. In other words, the development team is trying to develop a game overflowing in ‘KOFism’

Interviewer: So, an evolution of the KOF series’ fun?

Yamamoto: The series’ charm is above all the good tempo and feeling of speediness, I think. In regular fighting games the players gradually read each other’s moves and either win or lose based on that. This repeats for about 3 rounds, and whoever wins two of those wins the match. In a KOF game, the game’s speed is quick, and there are plenty of ways to move large distances compared with other games, so rather than slowly reading each other’s moves, it’s more about repeating the pattern of quickly closing the distance between you and your opponent, attacking and retreating. This kind of speedy development is a key component of the series’ fun.
However, to be a little blunt, in former games in the series there was a tendency for the defensive systems that were easier to use. For example, take the ability to save up a power gauge during combat. You could use that power gauge to execute a super special move, but it would turn the flow more to your advantage to wait for your opponent’s attack and counter with a guard cancel, then start your attack from there. When that happened, you get a style of play where players are constantly waiting for the other’s move, and the good tempo of the series can be spoilt. As a result, this time we’re making it so that using the power gauge as an attack system can also lead to your advantage in a match. We’d like it if you thought of the EX Special Move and EX Super Special Moves like this.
Furthermore, as I touched on before, the feeling of speed when starting an offensive by rushing, then combo! Combo! Combo! Is one of the finest elements in the series. We decided to include Hyperdrive Mode to further emphasise this.

Interviewer: Can you give us some examples of the kind of situations where EX moves can be utilised?

Yamamoto: EX moves use the power gauge to strengthen Special Moves/ Super Special Moves. Athena’s Psycho Ball, as in the movie uploaded on the official site, deals three hits instead of one. Projectiles have a set ‘resistance’ value, and her EX Psycho Ball not only has more hits, but also greater resistance, and as such won’t be cancelled out by the opponent’s regular projectile, instead negating it and dealing hits regardless. This should present an opportunity where the enemy is flinching from the multiple hits and you can move in and attack.

Interviewer: How about Hyperdrive mode?
Yamamoto: Referring to the movie on the official site here too, Kyo uses Oniyaki cancelled into a Nanajuugoshiki Kai to launch the opponent into the air and then continues attacking. Hyperdrive mode really widens the breath for chains, and EX moves can be included as well, so the player can experiment with all kinds of combos.

Interviewer: I see. It does sound like the kind of system that lets you enjoy the speedy battle developments of the series. To end with then, can you tell us something about that ‘biggest draw’ you mentioned earlier?

Yamamoto: That’s a secret! (laughs)

Interviewer: Oh go on.

Yamamoto: (Laughs)
Okay, just a little bit then (Laughs)
I’ve talked about KOF’s charm in terms of its systems, but the series also has another appeal in the ‘coolness of its production’. It would be nice if each area had a showy, cool attack that made use of their unique characteristics, wouldn’t it? You’ll have to let me stop there.

Interviewer: Thank you for your time. I’ll be excitedly looking forward to this ‘attack that makes use of the unique characteristics of each character’. Well then, KOF13 is intended to be a titleoverflowing with KOF-ism that allows you to further enjoy the speed of battle developments and the fun of going on the offensive. Next time we’ll be talking in more detail about Hyperdrive mode, so please look forward to it!

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Varion! YOU ARE AWESOME! Thanks!

Hopefully you have some time for the other blogs, obviously if you don't mind. But so far, thanks for your time on translating this! :D

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Varion said:
Yamamoto: (Laughs)
Okay, just a little bit then (Laughs)
I’ve talked about KOF’s charm in terms of its systems, but the series also has another appeal in the ‘coolness of its production’. It would be nice if each area had a showy, cool attack that made use of their unique characteristics, wouldn’t it? You’ll have to let me stop there.

Hmmm... this is really interesting. For what I understand there will be some Super Moves that will make the characters look "cool". Smells like Ultra like moves if you ask me, well at least in the "awesome cutscene!" moment thing.

Could they be working on ultra moves that change the costumes slightly, or finshing moves, like King's one where her breasts were exposed when she did DM finishes back in the day.

ptown

EX moves sounding real useful for offensive momentum and in general, having more options. DMs for damage/combo finisher and hyper drive mode for freestylin', big combos.

This system is sounding good.

Dali

-DarKaoZ- said:
Hmmm... this is really interesting. For what I understand there will be some Super Moves that will make the characters look "cool". Smells like Ultra like moves if you ask me, well at least in the "awesome cutscene!" moment thing.
He said level-specific so to me it sounds more like something akin to MK's acid pit or "The Pit" - a move everyone can do and that will look the same for eveyone, but can only be performed in the appropriate level. Or maybe it's just a more showy and amazing version of background break animations that go back as far as SF2 (damage to stuff in the background like the statues in dictator's level).

Fersis

Thank you Varion !!!!

Don think FEEEEL IT !!!!
Damn, XIII is shaping up to be epic.
I guess that the secret mechanism is somekind of KOF02 HDSM.
GET HYPE !

Top Bottom