• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Agents of Mayhem," Volition's new AAA game reveal trailer

You know, it's kinda weird that all of Volition's open-world games have been about taking over territory. You think they'd try something completely different since it's a new IP but this sounds like it could easily (and might secretly) be a Saints Row game.

Futurematic

That was a fantastic upfront trailer. Whole pilot episode in 4 minutes and I still like the freeze on character sheets thing (anybody remember The Losers? They actually did that in-movie, I'd love to know who was the first to do such a thing).

I'm also reasonably sure Volition will develop this somewhere between fun and great, no gameplay footage blows though and always makes me wonder a bit.

They lady at the end with the accent looks like my SR3-4 female character it sort of made me gasp for a moment. The nod to Saints Row is giving me a shred of hope this game will be decent.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Reminds me of the equally bad Binary Domain announcement trailer.

This game's lack of Big Bo will be its greatest failure.

2241555-binary_domain_3.jpg

anothertech

If the game looks exactly how that CG looked (which is entirely possible a this point) it could be cool.

Hold back criticisms till we see more.

Wait a minute.

Is this game copping GTA V's character switch?

Please tell me this game is copping GTA V's character switch. Holy shit. I'd love a game that's actually focused around having three characters on the ground whom you can switch to at any time.

dreamfall

Wait a minute.

Please tell me this game is copping GTA V's character switch. Holy shit. I'd love a game that's actually focused around having three characters on the ground whom you can switch to at any time.

Yeah, I think that's exactly how it works. You pick three characters and switch on the fly. It's listed under the gameplay description on the official game site. And that is pretty awesome!

Saint's Row 4 had undoubtedly the worst controls of any over-the-top action/superhero game I've ever played. Shitty powers that didn't even kill basic enemies in one hit and had long cooldown timers, janky-ass jumping/gliding/wallrunning; not to mention some genuinely awful mission design. It was always 100% clear that they'd just quickly tweaked some values in Saint's Row 3's code and kicked it out the door.

Not saying they couldn't make something better from the ground up, but after SR4 I'm going to need some convincing.

aBarreras

Saint's Row 4 had undoubtedly the worst controls of any over-the-top action/superhero game I've ever played. Shitty powers that didn't even kill basic enemies in one hit and had long cooldown timers, janky-ass jumping/gliding/wallrunning; not to mention some genuinely awful mission design. It was always 100% clear that they'd just quickly tweaked some values in Saint's Row 3's code and kicked it out the door.

Not saying they couldn't make something better from the ground up, but after SR4 I'm going to need some convincing.

WHAAAAAAT? SR4 super hero controls are fucking great,

Wait a minute.

Wow, hadn't even thought of that. You just got me a lot more hyped. It could do what GTA V did but actually good.

WHAAAAAAT? SR4 super hero controls are fucking great,

He's right. You have to switch between your powers with a d-pad instead of using hotkeys or combinations, you can't use guns in the air, and the movement controls were like a clunky version of Prototype where you can't wallrun horizontally or clamber over obstacles smoothily. They tacked superpowers on top of a TPS (that was already pretty clunky compared to other TPSes).

ReaperXL7

I've enjoyed pretty much every Saints row game except for Gat out of Hell and almost all of the red faction series. So I'm pretty pumped to see more of this, sucks that it's most likely a 2017 game but I'm looking forward to seeing where they take it.

So I was doing a bit of reading which links the Saints Row series to this better. I'll put it in spoiler tags

At the end of Gat out of Hell, There is an ending where you have God recreate earth and retcon the entire world of Saints Row, it shows Johnny as a Cop going to interrogate a woman known as Brimstone who is the woman mentioned at the end of this trailer so perhaps it's a reboot to the series? You decide

One of the things I liked most about the SR games was being able to create and dress my own character. I hope its possible to do in this game too, cause those pre-made characters designs dont appeal to me very much.

Ramenman

Wait a minute.

Please tell me this game is copping GTA V's character switch.
Holy shit. I'd love a game that's actually focused around having three characters on the ground whom you can switch to at any time.

Actually no, please tell me this game has an actual character switch mechanic.

GTA 5 forced you to switch to other characters based on the script. When you could do it freely it had no impact gameplay-wise, and when it had an impact gameplay-wise you were forced to do it anyway. A clever mix of those 2 things diguised the whole thing as a "switch between characters for different viewpoints and abilities" mechanic.

Acidote

So I was doing a bit of reading which links the Saints Row series to this better. I'll put it in spoiler tags

At the end of Gat out of Hell, There is an ending where you have God recreate earth and retcon the entire world of Saints Row, it shows Johnny as a Cop going to interrogate a woman known as Brimstone who is the woman mentioned at the end of this trailer so perhaps it's a reboot to the series? You decide

Yeah, the
Johnny
Hawaii 5.0 ending. I noticed that too. This is probably a sort of SR reboot sequel.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Mmmh...not entirely convinced by this. At times, the style looks good, but the characters shown are something that look so much like stuff I've already seen elsewhere. And the fact it was a CG trailer didn't allow me to look at the gameplay itself, eh.

Add me in the group of those who laughed at "AHOY MOTHERFUCKERS", even if it's probably something put intentionally to get attention and memes and, then, attention. I'm part of the problem

//DEVIL//

looks at the screen shots....

yeahh I am not feeling it. so far its a pass. hope to get a gameplay video that changes my mind

Flipyap

Welp... good job setting unrealistic expectations with that trailer.
I guess this could still look okay in motion and it sort of reminds me of Crackdown, so it's not all bad, but I was really hoping to see a game with that CG short's faux-2D art style.

Walpurgis

Banned
I'm not a fan of the characters other than Hollywood so far. The stunt double mechanic and his asshole attitude are a recipe for fun.
Kinda reminds me of this.

overstrike.jpg

If this is an open-world action game like Saint's Row, then I'm down.
Yeah, it looks like it might be fun.

Carcetti

So a more dull looking Saints Row and you can't customize your own character, which was the biggest drawn in the series for me. I really liked the whole of SR series so this is a bummer.

Im loving the explosions and FX being done like 2d animations. They look amazing.

Hollywood is the best character of the bunch right now.

this looks dope as fuck

Saints Row EU

There was always an EU of Saints Row. Red Faction also happened in the Saints Row Universe. Ultor ties everything, and we see his face in this trailer.

Looks to me like a cross between Sunset Overdrive, Overwatch and Crackdown.

I was agree with you OP even if it's a CG trailer it seems to me that it's the target they want to go for.

I want gameplay too because after playing Saints Row recently I'm really thirsty for similar crazy-fun games and this one could be it with even more different things to do and of course better graphics.

Surprisingly enough it's one of the first unannounced games prior to E3 period that gets hype from me (not a lot since no gameplay but a big "I want to see more").

PS: Volition don't do micro transactions, season pass if well made and game has enough content from start but no micro transactions (or cosmetics only like outfits or paint job etc.).

levyjl1988

Banned
I hope there is some type of character customization. i really enjoyed Saints Row for creating your own character, creating their face, looks, and what they wear. If I will have to play as preset protagonist then I'll probably not pick up this game as its not for me, despite me liking the developer. I highly enjoyed Saints Row 3 and 4 because of this.

Top Bottom