• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey is BACK! (Arkane Austin, 2017, PS4/XB1/PC)

Vire

Damn, that human shield mechanic looked really slick. And first person parkour is always welcome

I think this generation would have done the visuals more justice as well in bringing this cyber punk universe to life. You could do some really crazy things with the verticality and scale of it... Human Head was really onto something.

Damn, that human shield mechanic looked really slick. And first person parkour is always welcome

Now imagine the footage was met with almost universal praise, and then the it comes to light the game was canceled just because of a failed hostile takeover attempt that could've been avoided by the publisher operating like human beings

Ran rp

A reminder of how fucking cool Prey 2 was:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufikwk7_AD0

Oh well.

aUrI8iI.jpg

Fjordson

Seems kinda neat, but just makes me miss the premise of Human Head's cyberpunk Prey 2. Still depressed about that being dead.

I'll start with the obvious: It ain't a cyberpunk bounty hunter game, which would have been cool. But that's dead and gone, so unfortunately not much can be done about that.

That said, this seems like an awesome setup. It'll fill the void left behind by Alien: Isolation and Dead Space. It's a shame those IPs aren't moving forward, but this could do an amazing job filling in the gap, especially with Arkane handling it. I'm definitely excited to see more. Wonder if there will be a Neo version.
Obviously not first person, or big budget, but have you seen Duskers?
...as much as Alien is essential to any lover of sci-fi movies, Duskers is just as essential to any lover of sci-fi games
...I don’t think any Alien games have come as close as this has to recreating the same feeling as the original movie – panic, claustrophobia, distrust of machines, and a gut fear of the unknown.
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/05/23/duskers-review/

You might like it

Flipyap

Attaching the tainted Prey brand to what should have been a new title is pure corporate brilliance.
This game may very well end up interesting, but whenever I'll see its title, I'll associate it with the disappointing mess that is Prey 2's development history. Good job, whoever made this call.

I'm extreme filled with salt about this, I was a huge fan of the original and after some getting used to the sequel was looking great.

It was shitty what Bethesda did to human head, and I am torn because this game does look good and I do want to play it, but I would be less pissed if it had a different title. Or if it was at least connected to the previous games... Which this seems to not be.

In a perfect world, we would get prey 2 and this.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
It looks cool.

Only problem I have with it is that they went from a Native American character to your good old generic white guy.

Tommy wasn't exactly character of the year, but come on.

He's Asian lol.

Edit: We should work very hard to not turn this into the Far Cry 4 crap that happened when the boxart for that came out.

Attaching the tainted Prey brand to what should have been a new title is pure corporate brilliance.
This game may very well end up interesting, but whenever I'll see its title, I'll associate it with the disappointing mess that is Prey 2's development history. Good job, whoever made this call.

Same. I'll just get mad everytime I see this game and go rewatch Prey 2 footage.

Deadbeat

Banned
You get to choose whether you want to play as male or female.

That's why they chose the gender neutral name, Morgan.

* According to Raphael Colantonio on the livestream.
Basically animate two player models and call it a day. Nowhere near the work that Dishonored 2 required.

Mifune

Mehmber
Now imagine the footage was met with almost universal praise, and then the it comes to light the game was canceled just because of a failed hostile takeover attempt that could've been avoided by the publisher operating like human beings

Sorry, but I don't buy that. The footage was mind-blowing but it always smacked of being too good to be true. It's rare to see an unproven developer absolutely nail a big-budget, insanely ambitious project like that. I mean, we all wanted to believe but even at E3 a lot of folks I talked to were skeptical.

And yes, I know there were political issues between them and Bethesda but I can't imagine ANY publisher just abandoning a game for those reasons. There had to be major problems with the game that exacerbated those bad corporate dealings or vice versa. I have no doubt Bethesda acted in an appropriately corporate non-human way, but ultimately I feel like Human Head was probably in over their heads a bit. No way to know for sure but I mean what else have they done? Is there anything in HH's pedigree that justifies all this faith in their side, and only their side, of the story?

MattyG

Banned
I'm glad they're going with this and not trying to salvage Prey 2. It looked cool, but I can't imagine it having actually fulfilled the promises of that original demo. This looks far more interesting. Plus Chris Avellone is working on it, so that's a good sign.

Instro

It's been ages since I've played Prey, but is it me, or does this share absolutely NOTHING with the original game?

I'm gonna bet there will be some nods, or vague story ties.

As for the game itself, highly interested. Will be interesting to see what kind of mechanics it's got going on though. Seems kind of Preyish in terms of the types of things mentioned in the description.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Oh ffs, I was hoping this was the Prey 2 scifi Bounty Hunter game. Goddamit.

Could've just called this game something else too at this point.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
........ well whatever the hell that was it looked fuckin cool.

crossed fingers for psychological/sci-fi/other dimensional super horror up in hurr....

Excited for Shawn Elliott. Heard Bioshock Infinite's best combat arenas were his. I am reminded of his ideas on STALKER's enemy and combat design being great of GFW Radio.

Sorry, but I don't buy that. The footage was mind-blowing but it always smacked of being too good to be true. It's rare to see an unproven developer absolutely nail a big-budget, insanely ambitious project like that. I mean, we all wanted to believe but even at E3 a lot of folks I talked to were skeptical.

And yes, I know there were political issues between them and Bethesda but I can't imagine ANY publisher just abandoning a game for those reasons. There had to be major problems with the game that exacerbated those bad corporate dealings or vice versa. I have no doubt Bethesda acted in an appropriately corporate non-human way, but ultimately I feel like Human Head was probably in over their heads a bit. No way to know for sure but I mean what else have they done? Is there anything in HH's pedigree that justifies all this faith in their side, and only their side, of the story?
The game was in development, and even if all the existing footage was the most vertical of slices, it was still a solid proof of concept at least. Not sure what there was to be skeptical of since the basic gameplay loop shown was appealing to many.

I can't link the GAF threads right now, but there are some that detail everything that got out about this situation, and he open letter written by Madia staff — just search "Madia open letter" in Google and read that. Bethesda Softworks has a history. Take from that what you will, once you read about it.

Vitor711

What exactly happened between Human Head and Bethesda back in the day?

Apparently a lot of withheld payments and changing deadlines on Bethesda's side - sounds like Human Head were treated pretty poorly.

Then again, maybe all they had was that one level and development was at a standstill, leading Bethesda to have no choice but do to what they could to cut their losses. Hard to know for sure but a lot came out afterwards pointing the finger at them.

Boxart looks cool.

But im not digging the CGI Trailer. Would have loved Prey 2 from Human...

Im not looking forward to more grim dark Scifi games instead of colorful bounty hunter games ala spike spiegel.

I don't mind it using the name Prey. It looks awesome and honestly there's not a ton of people that will even remember the old Prey. Hopefully gameplay is close to this.

Dominator

Prey is one of my favorite 360 games, that game really sucked me in and I absolutely loved it.

This isn't Prey, but whatever it is looks fucking cool so I'm not mad at all. That trailer was very interesting and I can't wait to see more.

aravuus

I don't actually know anything about the original Prey nor am I a fan of CG trailers, so all I can really say is that the story seems intriguing? I'll take every scifi story I can.

Man with gun - who the fuck cares? This looks fantastic

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
All we've gotten on that whole situation is rumors and hearsay. And sadly that's all we're ever gonna get. Like I said, time to let it go.

What. The developers themselves have talked about this, it's not hearsay at all.

Ex-Human Head developer attacks "lie" that Prey 2 was only ever "just a demo" (that's not aimed at you, but people saying that there was nothing on the game)

From that same article:

"What happened to Prey 2, from where I sat, was political. And petty. And potentially litigable [sic]. Human Head had a great game.

"I was heartbroken when Prey 2 went into limbo. Human Head deserved to have that game released. Frankly, they needed it."

Essentially, Bethesda wanted to purchase Human Head, HH refused, Bethesda tried to extort them by withholding payments (or maybe the entire point was extorting them to purchase them), breaking HH, which they might or might not have done to other studios, HH remained unchanged in their position, and Bethesda gave up and cancelled the game.

If I'm wrong about anything, would love getting corrected. The point is, I'd be afraid of being the head of an independent company and signing with Bethesda. They should get shit for their practices, yes even today, because clearly people don't have very good memory.

It's interesting to think, I can't recall Bethesda publishing any other game whose developer is not owned by them. Wonder why.

Tagyhag

Pretty sure he's Asian

He's Asian lol.

Edit: We should work very hard to not turn this into the Far Cry 4 crap that happened when the boxart for that came out.

Yeah he is, and you're right we shouldn't. It's just that as an Asian gamer, it's frustrating to see that people are still afraid of a full blown Asian protagonist in a big mainstream game that couldn't pass off as a full Anglo dude.

Faith couldn't pass off as white for example.

But whatever, I've been used to this since the 90's, at least we're getting somewhere.

Mr. Tibbs

Quick recap on Prey 2's rocky history. Prey 2 was originally being developed for Radar Group in 2008, after Human Head's Soma was cancelled by Ubisoft. It starred Tommy and featured portals, time manipulation and wall-walking! 3DR, and by extension Radar, got into huge trouble in 2009 after Recoil's Earth No More couldn't attract a publisher without selling the IP, 2K canned Gearbox's Duke Begins, and weren't interested in funding DNF without purchasing the property. Radar sold the licence to Zenimax, and Human Head pitched them on an open-world bounty hunting game starring Tommy. It was signed in July 2009, but Bethesda's marketing said that Tommy was too whiny in the first game and no one would identify with his Native American goals. Human Head were tasked with creating a protagonists their girlfriends would find attractive, so Killian Samuels was born. Once the game was revealed and there was a big backlash that Tommy wasn't in the game, Bethesda asked the team to put him back in.

Human Head stopped working on Prey 2 in November 2011 shortly before the game reached alpha after Bethesda tried to buy the studio through milestone abuse. Human Head, hoping Bethesda would honor their original arrangement, attempted to negotiate with Bethesda. Things were moving forward until March 2012, when talks stalled. Zenimax released a warning to Human Head to return to work through a Dutch news outlet that Prey 2 was going to be cancelled next week. That all stopped on April 9th, 2012 after Human Head announced plans to make Rune II.

On April 19th, Bethesda released an extremely passive-aggressive update, before giving the project to Obsidian who worked on it for a few months. Unfortunately, since they didn't have the source code, or rights to use any of the internal tech Human Head owned (mega-textures, global-based lighting, etc), it was doomed from the start. It was cancelled and quietly removed from Bethesda's upcoming titles on their site in August 2012.

In May 2013, Kotaku and a Prey fan site revealed that Arkane Austin (who were unhappy with the situation and leaked the news) had been ordered to reboot Prey 2. This was later confirmed in leaked emails shortly after the news broke. The Austin team, which was previously a satellite studio, licensed the Cryengine in mid-2013 and staffed up in early 2014. Bethesda's Pete Hines continued to lie about the project being cancelled for years before casually mentioning to someone from CNET at Aussie PAX 2014 that Human Head's game was over.

I loved System Shock and Bioshock, but I'm very disappointed this isn't anything close to Prey 1 or 2. I'm sure I'll enjoy the game, but either way when you use the Prey name you'd think it have some correlation or connection to the others... oh well I guess.

The concept sounds pretty neat. Maybe not as cool as being a space bounty hunter but it's pretty damn close IMO. Also Avellone is on this so automatically this game will probably have a better story then most games.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
but Bethesda's marketing said that Tommy was too whiny in the first game and no one would identify with his Native American goals.

This crap was even shittier than I remembered!

Top Bottom