• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VentureBeat: Facebook says that Sony won the E3 conference war

Raylan

Banned
Facebook says that Sony won the E3 conference war

OczQST8.jpg

To me, it was clear to me that Sony had the best press conference at the Electronic Entertainment Expo. And the data from Facebook reinforces that, based on a social media analysis of the impact of the different press events on what people were talking about.

Facebook worked with Pulsar to track conversations about E3 on Facebook from June 7 to June 14. It focused on the publishers who hosted a press conference at the show.

Sony had the largest share of voice among publishers who hosted a press conference, capturing over 30 percent of the conversation from June 7 to June 14.

The most-discussed games after the press conferences were The Elder Scrolls: Legends (Bethesda), God of War (Sony), Titanfall 2 (Electronic Arts).

“This really shows that people are talking about games on Facebook,” said Rick Kelly, the vice president of global gaming at Facebook. “It’s exciting to pull those insights together to inform more of the industry.”

For Leo Olebe, the director of games partnerships at Facebook, this is just a standard day.

“Our job is to connect people with the games they love,” she said. “This data is based on a live feed of what people are actually feeling and connecting with.”

By contrast, the most talked-about games in the week leading up to E3 were The Elder Scrolls: Legends (Bethesda), The Legend of Zelda (Nintendo), and Watch Dogs 2 (Ubisoft). Conversations about games on Facebook climbed tenfold on Sunday, tripled on Monday, and peaked on Tuesday.

Among those talking, males dominated the conversation about press conferences with a 72 percent share of voice, and there was an equal age group split between 18-24 and 25-34 year-olds.

Full article here

Not suprising imo. Facebook and Twitter went nuts during and ofter the Sony conference.

I don't understand why...so many games shown that aren't released this year, have no release dates or years. No upgrades to the OS (which it doesn't get anyway) and a poor end (RDR3 trailer rumour is probably true though).

No, I don't get it.

I'd personally place it 3rd.

MS covered every base, and well
UBI (was a bit annoying, basically here because of For HonoUr.
SONY orchestra was a cool idea but the intro dragged...we were all bored, should have played into the game quicker. Horizon was the best thing.
BETHESDA cool Prey trailer, not much else
EA why did you even have an event? Why use time of it for Battlefield 1 if you have a stream of it after? Titanfall 3 should havr had more, the Mass Effect and Star Wars...too short, and pointless.

Servbot24

Banned
I don't understand why...so many games shown that aren't released this year, have no release dates or years. No upgrades to the OS (which it doesn't get anyway) and a poor end (RDR3 trailer rumour is probably true though).

No, I don't get it.

People don't go to E3 to see OS upgrades or games they already know about. The future excites people.

No, I don't get it.
I could list all the games they have for this year but that would be pointless, I could tell u both Microsoft and Sony...hell everyone shows games early but u know that, the Os dig is whatever.
All in all they brought games and hype it's really that simple

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Nintendo didnt even have a conference...also War ? Really lol. But yeah Sony had a better conference than MS and the rest. Which was expected.

HardRojo

No, I don't get it.
The pace was great and set a different tone compared to previous years, and they focused on showing games back to back, it's not hard to see why people got excited. Every company, every year, shows games with no actual release date, come on, if you don't get it then it's because you don't want to.

Gwyn

No, I don't get it.

Agree with this.

While i really liked the games sony had at e3 show but some of them probably won't release even in 2017 and the fact we didn't get a neo release date was kinda meh

I thought i won..

I mean.. there will be an amazing new Zelda game (NX version for me), Lots of new great PS4 games, some new multiplats AND i'm getting a really powerful Xbox console in a while.

SerTapTap

Unsurprising, the Sony conf was the best by far. Surprised the MS hump is only slightly larger than the EA hump. I Actually missed the EA one entirely but it sounds like everyone hated it.

Also it feels like everyone (especially Sony) is learning not to do the awkward cringey shit (except Ubisoft but hey, it's the only reason I watch their conf so keep it up)

Raylan

Banned
People don't go to E3 to see OS upgrades or games they already know about. The future excites people.
It's about what is coming next, what is new, why should you keep the console for the upcoming years. A E3 conference full with titles that have been announced a year ago already (and now they're coming to the PC, too) is boring as hell imo.
And Sony had a lot of new IPs.

SerTapTap

Are people seriously this mad about euphemisms like "war" for obviously competitive media events? Sheesh. People must have spasms every time they read a headline.

Shahadan

Because gamers are nothing but children with no attention span, am I right?

Christ. Anything involving E3 is so exaggerated.

Lol. First of all, yes, also I have no problem with people talking when they're actually talking about something. Problem is, these shows are mostly executives using premade words and mashing them together.

wapplew

Maybe those Sony's topic is all complaint about how they dislike GoW changes or how everything is TLOU. They got the most topic, but could be mostly negative thou.

Damn that Sony line is just absurd. Not really a surprise, just looking at the conferences it is easy to figure out which would have the most hype/talk around it.

Maybe those Sony's topic is all complaint about how they dislike GoW changes or how everything is TLOU. They got the most topic, but could be mostly negative thou.

You could apply that same metric to all of them so that doesn't say a lot.

"I don't like God of War changes."

"Gears of War is the same thing!!!11."

"nintendo is only showing zelda!?

Zojirushi

That's probably just PlayStation owners talking about PlayStation stuff and Xbox owners talking about Xbox stuff right? So naturally PS games are talked about more.

Hm, i think between Sony and MS, it comes down to personal taste in games.

And lol "war" ... a war Nintendo came in trunks with a wooden stick as a weapon, only to shieldboard away. ;]
OK it was a really awesome wooden stick, but yeah. ^^

jdmonmou

I didn't like the mixed messages from the MS conference, but I think they had the most interesting conference because of the Scorpio trailer. I would've liked to have seen something similar from Sony on the Neo to clarify the purpose of an upgraded console.

However, Sony did have the best overall conference to excite the existing PS4 install base. They reassured current PS4 owners that you're going to be getting some cool games in 2016-17 and that PS VR games work fine on current PS4s. I think Sony did a better job on selling the audience on the no gamer left behind motto by solely focusing on the games whereas it just feels like lip service from Microsoft.

thefro

I'd like to see a graph for the whole week of E3 (since we're not seeing the peaks for Sony/Nintendo). Obviously would like to see data by individual game as well.

I mean the same thing could have been said about Nintendos Twitter output but that thread made it seem like nothing negative was being said period.

Either way, who cares. Sony showed games that mattered to me and I feel like they did their job. They cut the bullshit about Neo before the event so no one got their hopes up and just made it about games. I'm not usually the one to say who won but it was better than some...that's it.

geordiemp

Maybe WiiU owners like to tweet, and Ps4 owners like to facebook lol.

These metric are silly, nobody wins E3 due to social media mentions, everybody has different ways to talk about games, whether GAF, youtube, twitter, or chat in person.

The real winner of E3 is the company that manages to do better than they budgeted following their E3 efforts to raise their profile.

Thats it, no other metric is worth a shit other than social media companies promoting their market analysis tools for twitter or Facebook.

Angel_DvA

Yup Sony has won this E3, the pacing, the games shown ( which are really exclusive for most of them ), Crash/Kratos are back and the orchestra was sublime.

Microsoft has shown nothing new, the pacing of their conference was really bad, no exclusive for their console too and the Scoprio reveal is too early, they had nothing to show about it so I didn't care about it.

I won't talk about other conferences because they were terrible, especially EA/Ubisoft one.

Top Bottom