• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VentureBeat: Facebook says that Sony won the E3 conference war

I don't understand why...so many games shown that aren't released this year, have no release dates or years.
No, I don't get it.

Huh? E3 should be about games which Sony literally had a non stop conference on. MSFT had a good conference but most of the games are the same ones we saw last year....no thanks. I wanna get hyped son.

M52B28

Banned
Lol. First of all, yes, also I have no problem with people talking when they're actually talking about something. Problem is, these shows are mostly executives using premade words and mashing them together.
There's a great amount of people who plan what they say to the people who they're often around.

Welcome to any press conference, unless you're watching Elon Musk.

Kyonashi

Seriously why is Elder Scrolls Legends on that list? Very confusing.

Must be Elder Scrolls in general including Skyrim:SE right?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
BwxQxBS.jpg

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The games look like a step up and their partnerships have star power (e.g. Kojima). Not too surprising. Spiderman and even Crash didn't hurt either I don't think.

I don't understand why...so many games shown that aren't released this year, have no release dates or years. No upgrades to the OS (which it doesn't get anyway) and a poor end (RDR3 trailer rumour is probably true though).

No, I don't get it.

I'd personally place it 3rd.

MS covered every base, and well
UBI (was a bit annoying, basically here because of For HonoUr.
SONY orchestra was a cool idea but the intro dragged...we were all bored, should have played into the game quicker. Horizon was the best thing.
BETHESDA cool Prey trailer, not much else
EA why did you even have an event? Why use time of it for Battlefield 1 if you have a stream of it after? Titanfall 3 should havr had more, the Mass Effect and Star Wars...too short, and pointless.
Microsoft showed a bunch of bi-annual games and games we already saw last year. Sony showed 2 games from last year; everything else they showed was brand new.

And I don't know how anyone could have been bored by that orchestra.

It was definitely the best Sony conference in years. But nothing tops the Treehouse format for me. Video games actually being played, it's a wonderful thing.

le.phat

Well, duh. It was a super delightful conference, meant to show is what's to come in the future. Gamers have a million and one channels to learn whats coming in a month or two, but these conferences should show why we want to stick around or jump on board.

Caronte

I don't understand why...so many games shown that aren't released this year, have no release dates or years. No upgrades to the OS (which it doesn't get anyway) and a poor end (RDR3 trailer rumour is probably true though).

No, I don't get it.

SONY orchestra was a cool idea but the intro dragged...we were all bored, should have played into the game quicker. Horizon was the best thing.
EA why did you even have an event? Why use time of it for Battlefield 1 if you have a stream of it after? Titanfall 3 should havr had more, the Mass Effect and Star Wars...too short, and pointless.

OS upgrades is what get you excited the most about a gaming console?

Sizzel

um.. yeah I think this was known? It was objectively the most jam packed with IPs and really the only one I was riveted to. Love it or hate it, that RE7 and GoW reveal were bananas interesting.Watching RE7 and wondering is this P.T somehow?? Who is this little kid? is this Horizon again wait....oh shit that is Kratos..THIS IS GOD OF WAR ..also the WTF Kojima.. moment.

I mean Sony has murdered this console generation. Legit exciting and fun show. They are the most in sync with their consumer base and the community.

wapplew

That's probably just PlayStation owners talking about PlayStation stuff and Xbox owners talking about Xbox stuff right? So naturally PS games are talked about more.

True, maybe it just PS owner think Sony win, Xbox owner think MS win, but there are more PS owner out there.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member

No, I don't get it.
Sony resonated with people because a lot of people watch E3 to get a peek at what's coming in the future. They watch E3 for the surprises and spectacle. Sony gave us surprises and showed us actual gameplay, and that gets people excited. The dates do not matter for a lot of people.

They showed a new God of War going into a completely different direction. We got a date for The Last Guardian, confirming that that game is indeed finally coming out. They showed Resident Evil 7, also a game going in a new direction compared to its predecessor. We got VR games. We got a demo for Infinite Warfare that surprised / blew away a lot of people after the initial negativity. They had Kojima on stage showing his new project. It does not matter that Kojima's project is still a long way off; the point is that he is back and that he is doing something new, something unique, something he wants to do.

These are exciting things; big franchises going in new directions, a highly anticipated game finally getting a date, them showing confidence in VR, turning around public perception on an initially disliked game, a great creator showing of his new project after all of the shit he went through. Add to that excellent gameplay slices from stuff like Horizon and Detroit and a high-profile Spiderman game announcement, and I just find it hard to understand how you can't understand that people are excited for this stuff.

I have no issue with you personally not liking it, but I don't really get why you don't 'get' why this resonated so well with others.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
The 10 minute God of War demo is also around 6 M views more than most game reveals at this E3. Sony did good capturing the public

Nzyme32

Isn't this pretty silly? More people own PS4s, more people will have an interest in what they show, more people will talk about it on Facebook. Doesn't seem so complex. More so than that, there are far more people speculatively interested in PS4, which will add to those conversations.

Even then, if one of the conferences had been utterly awful, that too would have been talked about more, so it won't give a good indication as to who "won"

oSoLucky

Based on all of the posters complaining about release dates and Sony's show, those would have preferred for:

The Last Guardian
Persona 5
Gravity Rush 2
Horizon
Resident Evil 7
GT Sport
Final Fantasy 15
Infinite Warfare
No Man's Sky
NieR Automata
PSVR

To be their show, all with their first announcements and having no idea the games were coming until now. Also to know nothing about:

Shenmue 3, Days Gone, FF7 Remake, Kingdom Hearts 3, God of War, Spiderman, Crash Remaster, Dreams, Death Stranding, etc.

So I guess those posters really wanted to trumpet the no gaemz meme and watch 20+ more minutes of Destiny at every conference.

Also, good thing that the people drumming up hype for their platform know better.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Guess the Zelda/Ninty fans are more on Twitter? I actually wonder what the breakdown for this stuff was on Twitter as well. It always interest me to see what catches the general public's attention though its not that surprising, Elder Scrolls, God of War and Titanfall haha.

Rozart

Not surprising. So did a majority of the big gaming outlets (IGN, Gamespot etc).

It was an overall solid E3 this year I thought. Haven't seen many embarrassing memes which is a little disappointing.

I wanted a *overtly exuberant jump* "PEGGLE 2!!" moment so bad. :(

It's pretty easy to 'win' E3 when you are by far the market leader with all the momentum behind you. Also when you show a lot of games that are far from release. Under those circumstances you can literally throw anything in the conference to create impact. Personally I don't mind hearing about far out games but it does 'artificially' pad the line up somewhat.

Personally I found both conferences to be decidedly average. With Nintendo, well, being Nintendo. Nothing special all around. The other conferences were meh too.

Overall I give E3 a 6 out of 10. Must try harder!

MacTag

Banned
Nintendo did pretty great in the Conference War considering they had no actual conference. Not even trying and they beat all the third parties. :)

Rodelero

No, I don't get it.

MS covered every base?

I don't think they really covered the main base that matters: major software announcements. They announced Forza Horizon 3, which was entirely leaked and also completely predictable given that it's a biennial spinoff to an annual franchise. They announced Dead Rising 4 which was leaked, and hardly huge anyway given the size/popularity/acclaim of the franchise. They showed Gears, which looked like Gears, and Sea of Thieves, which was genuinely fantastic. They showed Halo Wars 2 and have released an open beta that is really, really disappointing (and horribly broken right now).

Sony showed God of War, which fully justified continuing the franchise with its change in location, pantheon, and game design
Sony showed Horizon which looked brilliant, again
Sony showed an exclusive Spiderman game from Insomniac
Sony showed and dated The Last Guardian
Sony showed a new IP from Sony Bend
Sony showed a new IP from Kojima

They also had several really significant multiplatform announcements/showings.

Sony had exciting, and in some cases, surprising game announcements. That's why they won and why almost everybody thinks they won.

No, I don't get it.

Are we still arguing about OS updates?

timlot

Banned
If this is worldwide I would love to see a country breakdown. I do believe PS4 is in like 50 more countries or something.

Walshicus

I'm not being facetious, but I'm surprised by this as I'd not seen any conversation or discussion on Sony's conference. Did they announce anything?

How much of this is impacted by the times of the conferences/streams? Microsoft being in the middle of the day for its biggest constituency while Nintendo was also very early in the day. Meanwhile, Sony was late into the evening on east coast US and was much more likely to be seen live by anyone even slightly interested. The third party conferences being mostly forgettable explains their standings. Also, I agree with the first post about what was shown at both major first party conferences and the release timing for all games shown. I know the show is all about hype and marketing, but I'm personally more excited by things I will be able to play soon while also knowing there is more stuff unannounced that will be coming in the future.

I wonder how much Sony's PSX showings are canabalizing their announcement opportunities for E3 and that is why they are focusing more on further out titles. Also, how are there not dates for God of War and Days Gone? Those developers have been silent for so long it feels like these should be out this year :/ The same can be said for Crackdown and Sea of Thieves also. I'm more likely to embrace games if they are announced and shown closer to release, having years between announcement and release kills my interest 99% of the time.

jaypah

Sony had the better show imo. Not that MS had a shit show, it was quite good to me. It's just that Sony came out on top again.

reKon

Banned
Fanboys can be a salty bunch. I was reading comments on Verge for an article saying that Sony keeps winning and there were a few long posts claiming how bias the media is towards Sony and how they have the habit of making false promises some how when they show games too early and delay them.

I'm not going to get into the reason for why it's stupid to single Sony out as the only company for this, but I am interested in the fact that people believe that games aren't worth showing a conference if they aren't going to be released in the next year. Like really? We got to see full gameplay of a bunch of games or at least in engine trailers that already look polished! You would rather see the same games that we know are coming out this year and bunch CGI trailers? Fanboys are so fucking stupid sometimes. They thrive in making list wars and useless bitching on behalf of dumb allegiances.

Top Bottom