• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VentureBeat: Facebook says that Sony won the E3 conference war

Weetrick

There's a war?

What are you, some kind of traitor that enjoys more than one company's games?!?

For real though, the data is very interesting and obviously the companies care about it greatly, but reporting it as a "war" is a boring, tired attempt at hype.

I can't remember a year where I said anyone won by a large margin, but for me personally, Sony had the best showing. I found myself excited about almost every game mentioned, even their Final Fantasy video was more interesting (other than the VR section for that game). Whoever cut those trailers did a damn fine job.

It doesn't matter if it's MS, UBI, whoever. I don't like all the breaks with the devs or the chit-chat, I just want to see games. I'm not gonna get into what I didn't care for with the MS conference, but it didn't really pull me in. Sea of Thieves and Dead Rising looked good though. I can't stand all the "gamer chat" during previews either. UBI is getting famous for that.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm not being facetious, but I'm surprised by this as I'd not seen any conversation or discussion on Sony's conference. Did they announce anything?

Are you serious? Did you even glance the page 1 of the gaming side of GAF in the last 3 days? Its been plastered with all the big Sony games and announcements.

gtj1092

pretty much sell believe is better than concrete stuff

to me it's sad.

sure i'm not common people

Haha so this the new narrative now. So all the games MS showed this year were also announced this year and never before seen? They were announced at prior E3s and some have been at several. Let's also pretend we haven't been talking about Zelda for multiple E3s.

E3 is a massive marketing event, one of the few that registers beyond the enthusiasts 24hr news cycle and penetrates unto the mainstream consciousness, and Sony have been nailing their E3 presentations all this gen while Microsoft have been at best mediocre, far too often confusing and self destructive, and I think you'd be foolish to dismiss the impact that has had on sales given the twos relative sales.

As for complaints of showing games too early, or hypocrisy because of Sony's reasoning for not showing the Neo, that's just utter tosh. Sony showed about ad many games launching in the next 12 months as we're TBD, and besides which those games that are years away build long term excitement and hype while reassuring both current and potential customers that the PlayStation 4 will be receiving ongoing support for years to come, making it a sound investment.

Conversely, Xbox announced a new model, then told everyone they didn't need it to play the games coming out if they had a PC, showed no games coming out in the future that would mean long term commitment for software support for it, then announced a replacement was 18 months away. Sure, if you already own an XO and only care about short term game releases, they focused more on that, but in more broad terms it was really not a good way to revive those collapsing sales that were shite in the first place.

Rozart

For real though, the data is very interesting and obviously the companies care about it greatly, but reporting it as a "war" is a boring, tired attempt at hype.

Yup, the article makes mention of this too.

"This is a very powerful storytelling tool for the publishers,” he said.

Olebe said the data gives game companies a “heat map” for what’s hot in gaming in real time.

brawly

The GOAT. It was the only one that got my heart racing. It was an adrenaline rush, thanks to awesome game after awesome game and no fluff or boring talk. They nailed it.

eerik9000

Ck57X6KWsAAHAYx.jpg

Bethesda talked about Doom and Fallout 4 VR support, how can their ratio be 0?

Boney

Banned
You guys do realize this is just based on users just talking about the games, nothing to do with the bizarre teacher fetish grades gaffers love to award companies.

MacTag

Banned
That's a bad comparison. With politics you're introducing the needed step of voting. With E3 conference comparisons, it's all about buzz and opinions.

Considering Facebook is the largest social network, it is the best metric for looking at this.
Bigger isn't always better. While Facebook is by far the largest social media platform with over 5 times the daily users Twitter boasts, that huge audience can also prove less relevant among certain demographics. Gaming is a good example of that as Twitter's base tends to skew younger, wealthier, more racially diverse, more likely to follow current news and more engaged in technology fields (like gaming). It's almost similar to something like Wii casuals versus PS/Xbox core, demographics can make the smaller userbase more relevant in certain respects.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Microsoft was the best. Also what Nintendo showed of Zelda Breath of the Wild is more interesting than Sony entire E3 lineup. I'm a Sony fan and it doesn't make sense to me how they "won".

faridmon

Microsoft, Nintendo & Sony? They spend a fortune on these shows, in part, for this exact reason.

Really?

So you think they rather win a ''war'' fanboys love to discuss rather than say, showcase it to the press and the mainstream media?

Joni

I'm annoyed tbh. It's annoying that Activision has this franchise. IMO Sony made a dumb decision here. I would have done to them what Marvel is doing with Xmen, let that franchise have 0 hype and then buy at some point when Activision raises their hands and admits it has no value. Sony will just raise its value and they will take it back again to ruin it like they did last time. Awful.

Crash has been dead for years. There is no way to lower the value without making a buyout pointless so I don't know how that would work. And that for a franchise that has no real value for them because they already have Jak, Ratchet and Sly Cooper in the same genre.

jett

D-Member
The most-discussed games after the press conferences were The Elder Scrolls: Legends
what
By contrast, the most talked-about games in the week leading up to E3 were The Elder Scrolls: Legends

what

I must be really out of the loop, I didn't even know this game (Legends, specifically) existed before Bethesda's conference.

Congratulations to Sony.

I look at E3 as a place to see new stuff I've never heard of and Sony did deliver on that front. MS would have too but the leaks really messed up the vibes for me at the show.

To what console I'll be buying now? It would have to be an Xbox 1 Slim S purely because I know the games I want now will be here later this year on Xbox.

Have they show any games that's coming this year besides TLG? Sony still refusing to acknowledge a game's existence like Gravity Rush. Was GT Sports in the conference?

Honestly Sony's conference lacked variety.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I hate that the videogame industry is obsessed with someone "winning" E3. Everyone showed a bunch of great stuff this year.

addik

Just to add some context on the FB data, remember that they are most likely including data from other countries as well, especially from countries where people use social media heavily, more so than the US.

Example of this is my country (Philippines), which is pretty much Sony-land. Sure, they like the odd franchise here and there, but it's usually franchises associated with Sony (like Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Crash Bandicoot, etc.) People in my office only talked about the Sony conference. When I asked them about the other conferences, they just said they checked the individual trailers instead of the conferences.

Speaking of Crash Bandicoot, while mainstream news didn't pick it, but I know a lot of non-gamers who essentially celebrated the news.

It's all anecdotal, I guess, but I guess it explains why the data skews heavily toward Sony.

Sony definitely had the best conference but there was nothing to win and no 'war'. The whole point of E3 is to get upcoming games out there for the people by generating a massive amount of hype built up by all these publishers working together. So everyone won. Fuck this imaginary 'war' nonsense.

reKon

Banned
Gears 4 and Scalebound had poor showings, which is disappointing to me because I'm potentially going to buy these games. It's not just about showing off exclusives, but making sure they look great. There action RPGs that I still haven't played yet that look way better than Scalebound on multiple levels.

Anytime I hear like, "sony wins the war" or whatever shit it makes me cringe. There's a reason people see this industry as a child and this is part of why.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Guys I need help with this one.

I don't have a WiiU or Xbox One and perfer Sony games but I find the conference very dissapointing. But I like the Zelda series and it looks fantastic from the gamplay video i've seen and Microsoft conference got of thinking of buying one and the show was great.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Microsoft was the best. Also what Nintendo showed of Zelda Breath of the Wild is more interesting than Sony entire E3 lineup. I'm a Sony fan and it doesn't make sense to me how they "won".

Really? You can't see why they won when they announced an exclusive Spiderman game and a God of War sequel that drastically changed things up in ways a lot of people weren't expecting and loved? Or the reveal of Bend's new game which is divisive but people are talking about it. Or giving The Last Guardian a release date only a few months away. Or reannouncing Crash and so on and so forth.

It's not exactly a stretch and despite Zelda looking excellent that's all they showed. If you don't like Zelda or open world games then you got jack shit from Ninty.

The Lamp

Bigger isn't always better. While Facebook is by far the largest social media platform with over 5 times the daily users Twitter boasts, that huge audience can also prove less relevant among certain demographics. Gaming is a good example of that as Twitter's base tends to skew younger, wealthier, more racially diverse, more likely to follow current news and more engaged in technology fields (like gaming). It's almost similar to something like Wii casuals versus PS/Xbox core, demographics can make the smaller userbase more relevant in certain respects.

Bigger is better when you are characterizing the conversations of the public

What does Twitter's results even say?

sense

Sony resonated with people because a lot of people watch E3 to get a peek at what's coming in the future. They watch E3 for the surprises and spectacle. Sony gave us surprises and showed us actual gameplay, and that gets people excited. The dates do not matter for a lot of people.

They showed a new God of War going into a completely different direction. We got a date for The Last Guardian, confirming that that game is indeed finally coming out. They showed Resident Evil 7, also a game going in a new direction compared to its predecessor. We got VR games. We got a demo for Infinite Warfare that surprised / blew away a lot of people after the initial negativity. They had Kojima on stage showing his new project. It does not matter that Kojima's project is still a long way off; the point is that he is back and that he is doing something new, something unique, something he wants to do.

These are exciting things; big franchises going in new directions, a highly anticipated game finally getting a date, them showing confidence in VR, turning around public perception on an initially disliked game, a great creator showing of his new project after all of the shit he went through. Add to that excellent gameplay slices from stuff like Horizon and Detroit and a high-profile Spiderman game announcement, and I just find it hard to understand how you can't understand that people are excited for this stuff.

I have no issue with you personally not liking it, but I don't really get why you don't 'get' why this resonated so well with others.
Excellent post

Sony definitely had the best conference. Microsoft's was good but it would have been exponentially better if the whole thing had not been leaked.

Formosa

Yup for sure Sony won.

-So many good PS4 exclusives
-Resident Evil 7 Demo for PS4 only
-VR game option

-Xbox One made a smaller Xbox one that's about the same size as the current PS4 lol.

Top Bottom