• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega CD/Mega CD Appreciation Thread of Welcome to the Next Level

Khaz

My Sega CD is out for delivery! Pictures to come later; hoping there are no issues setting it up, lol.

I've read there are no differences from pulling audio from the headphone port on the front of the Genesis versus the Sega CD's RCA on the back of the base. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Cheers.

Aren't you supposed to connect the front audio socket to the back to get the full sound though?

Khaz

Are you? From what I've read both should output stereo sound.

http://retrorgb.com/segacd.html

From what I understand, the RCA connectors on the Mega CD are here for convenience, to use separate cables to connect an amplifier, instead of having to get sound at the TV end. But the Megadrive 1 is problematic with stereo audio, as it only outputs it from the front. So you can either tap your Stereo sound from the front as before, or connect the front socket to the Mega CD and use the RCA. Not connecting them I suppose would get you mono audio or possibly nothing at all from the two RCA. The Megadrive 2 doesn't have this problem.

alf717

Are you getting any games with your Sega CD? Does it come with the extra plastic for the model 1 not that that plastic is necessary just curious. Excited to see some pics. Welcome to the Sega CD Club. Also make sure you use the right AC plug for the Sega CD or the fuse will go boom.

From what I understand, the RCA connectors on the Mega CD are here for convenience, to use separate cables to connect an amplifier, instead of having to get sound at the TV end. But the Megadrive 1 is problematic with stereo audio, as it only outputs it from the front. So you can either tap your Stereo sound from the front as before, or connect the front socket to the Mega CD and use the RCA. Not connecting them I suppose would get you mono audio or possibly nothing at all from the two RCA. The Megadrive 2 doesn't have this problem.

Yep thats it you hit it right on the head.

BTails

Ah, perfect. I've just been using the Headphones jack in my Model 1 / CD 2 combo, so I'm glad I'm not missing anything. Though I think in the past 20+ years, I would've noticed an issue, haha.

My Sega CD is out for delivery! Pictures to come later; hoping there are no issues setting it up, lol.

Can't wait for pics! Always fun with this hardware, as there's so many combinations.
Model 1 Genny / Model 2 Sega CD looks the best, COME AT ME

tumblr_o27nw20UiZ1r7sijxo1_500.gif

Conezays

Thanks for the info, Khaz (and others).

Will sink more time into it later this evening but glad to confirm everything works. I got the Genesis, Sega CD, cables, controller, and Sega Arcade Collection (Sega CD), etc for $130 USD total so not bad. I already have a Model 1 Genesis but figured I may as well hoard another as a backup :p

SKINNER!

Banned
Anyone got any info about the differences between the #4102 and #4102A versions of the Sega CD model 2? My one is a #4102A and I was opening up my friend's Sega CD 2 which is a #4102 version. Looked a lot more condensed from thr inside and the CD laser part seemed to be made of better plastic. Anyone got any info about which version is better or which one lasts longer? Does it even matter? Cheers

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

Ah, been missing these guys!

Thanks for the info, Khaz (and others).

Will sink more time into it later this evening but glad to confirm everything works. I got the Genesis, Sega CD, cables, controller, and Sega Arcade Collection (Sega CD), etc for $130 USD total so not bad. I already have a Model 1 Genesis but figured I may as well hoard another as a backup :p

Welcome to the club!

Anyways, I think Khaz on this board earlier directed me to an everdrive to play import Sega CD-games. Any special version I should get? Where can I buy them?

Khaz

Thanks alot! Holy shit it is expensive, but guess it evens out in the long run.

You can count in that price that it can act as a save cartridge, $40 extra you won't have to spend. Plus the extras like battery saves, savestates, game menu, etc. Worth it imho.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
You can count in that price that it can act as a save cartridge, $40 extra you won't have to spend. Plus the extras like battery saves, savestates, game menu, etc. Worth it imho.

Yeah, definitely nice that it can do that stuff. Guess its going to be my next big gaming purchase.

Conezays

How has your experience been on the 32X side of things? I've read comments talking about compatibility issues with the Everdrive while some say it works fine.

Conezays

I don't have a 32X yet.

Ah, too bad. I would've liked to pick someone's brain who has one. From what I gather, it sounds like 32x games *should* work but you cannot utilise the menu functions for Genesis games in the same way, among a couple other finnicky issues. I've considered getting a 32X, I just don't want to be constantly inserting and removing the Everdrive with other carts if I don't have to, etc.

As for my Sega CD, enjoying what I've played so far. Here's a quick picture of Lords of Thunder:

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Ah, perfect. I've just been using the Headphones jack in my Model 1 / CD 2 combo, so I'm glad I'm not missing anything. Though I think in the past 20+ years, I would've noticed an issue, haha.

Can't wait for pics! Always fun with this hardware, as there's so many combinations.
Model 1 Genny / Model 2 Sega CD looks the best, COME AT ME

tumblr_o27nw20UiZ1r7sijxo1_500.gif

I finally got the chance to play Brutal, and apart from the hilarious intro with the bear throwing the sandwich, the game is awful. It's stiff, sluggish, and has terrible music. Not worth anyone's time... though I do remember some slight hype about it back in the day.

Cobra Command
Time Gal
Surgical Strike
& Double Switch are on my soon to be pick up list.

I finally got the chance to play Brutal, and apart from the hilarious intro with the bear throwing the sandwich, the game is awful. It's stiff, sluggish, and has terrible music. Not worth anyone's time... though I do remember some slight hype about it back in the day.
Yeah its trash. Although the dojo stage is pretty cool.

As for my Sega CD, enjoying what I've played so far. Here's a quick picture of Lords of Thunder:
Nice, Lords of Thunder is near the top of my Sega CD want list.

I'm now going to try Brutal to see how brutally awful it is.
After about five minutes of playing Brutal you will begin to question the decisions in your life which led you to have the game and if you've gone too far in your pursuit of collecting games. But then you get over it and buy more, lol.

Timu

Brutal is fucking brutal, in both difficulty and awfulness, my god what a bad game.
I can't even pass the first opponent in Brutal. The CPU just spams cheat moves and I can't get through it.
I got past the 1st opponent...it gets much worse from there, heck I swear some opponents can even heal themselves.

Timu

Oh and I made it to the 5th opponent in Brutal. This game, this freaking game, man, this may be one of the most hilarious fighting games I've played in terms of awfulness.

It turns out that I was about halfway through the game, lol.

Galdelico

Ah, too bad. I would've liked to pick someone's brain who has one. From what I gather, it sounds like 32x games *should* work but you cannot utilise the menu functions for Genesis games in the same way, among a couple other finnicky issues. I've considered getting a 32X, I just don't want to be constantly inserting and removing the Everdrive with other carts if I don't have to, etc.

Nice, I always forget this games exists on the MCD too.
How does it compare to the original on the PCE-CD?

Timu

After about five minutes of playing Brutal you will begin to question the decisions in your life which led you to have the game and if you've gone too far in your pursuit of collecting games. But then you get over it and buy more, lol.
I still can't believe I made it to 5 opponents on my 1st run, lol.

Screw that. I think I got past 3 opponents and quit. Cpu is very cheap and the game is glitchy.
You will hate the 4th and 5th opponents, their special attacks are hard to dodge!

I saw that you guys like Sega CD stuff:

http://www.ratigators.com/ui.asp?c=SEGACD

That's my site where I've been storing all of the scans I've made from my personal collection, which is a complete NTSC-USA set (at least what I think was considered a set years ago when I was collecting).

I've scanned every page of every manual and cracked open every case to scan the back cover sheet, and newspapers and maps when included (Sherlock Holmes and Vay).

I had grandiose plans to remove staples and scan flat pages, but doing some tests, decades old staples weren't cooperative without often breaking, and those that didn't break, it was nigh impossible to get pages lined back up and staples put back in.

My test scans with staples produced results I was still happy with, so I chose not to all out destroy all my manuals.

And if you have appreciation for other Sega systems, you can use the nav up top from that Sega CD section to hop elsewhere.

I was scanning daily for a couple of years, though have since taken a couple of year hiatus which is why the Genesis and Game Gear sections are lacking (20,000+ scans, 40,000+ pages, scan time was taking up my game time all last gen which is limited with work and 2 kids, so I started being selfish :) I also thought about doing a full set of Sega Pico scans, though, doubted anyone would actually want those.

I'm new here (a friend pointed me here to check out some Dead Rising stuff, saw this thread as well and made an account to share), so not all on the up and up as it concerns reposting, but I did a search to see if someone else already posted it and found a link to my Saturn collection in the Sega Saturn Appreciation thread, but wasn't anything Sega CD related:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=167002292&highlight=ratigators#post167002292

I also noticed a Master System Appreciation Thread, and I'm sure there's a Dreamcast one around here somewhere as well, and I don't intend to cross post/SPAM a bunch a links and bump old threads to the front page, but I scanned those collections of mine as well if anyone is interested.

Once upon a time, I was keeping a thread over @ The Cover Project updated with scan progress I could probably dig up if people want to watch me slowly lose my mind scanning :D
this is actually one of the best things.

Khaz

I'm just racking my brain as to what happened here.

While 90s fighting games in general can be remarkably cheap, I remember Brutal being among the worst offenders.

Hmm, I'd say there is a conflict between a locked animation with a definite X-axis movement, and a path alteration by the edge of the display area. The console blocks the sprite at the edge of the display, but uses the animation value to compute its final position, making him fall in the hole.

I am pleased by the subtle floor deformation though. Nice effect.

Wirehead is awesome! I'm still upset the 32XCD port never came out.

Wirehead is a masterpiece of the FMV genre. What other game has you jump out of a plane, glide down to a river using the inflatable raft, fly over a waterfall, right into a fight with a bear. No other game.

Conezays

Nice, I always forget this games exists on the MCD too.
How does it compare to the original on the PCE-CD?

I haven't played the original on PCE-CD (though I did play the Wii VC version awhile ago), but I can say the difficulty is pretty low. I'm decent at shmups, but hardly amazing; I beat this game without dying on the default settings. Didn't check if there were harder difficulties.

Wirehead is also pretty hilarious (though difficult due to trial and error). Where else can you see car chases, bear fights and the Old West in the opening few minutes? Lol, and I see Gunstarheroes echoed my near exact thoughts.

Galdelico

I haven't played the original on PCE-CD (though I did play the Wii VC version awhile ago), but I can say the difficulty is pretty low. I'm decent at shmups, but hardly amazing; I beat this game without dying on the default settings. Didn't check if there were harder difficulties.
Yeah, I've read about it. Looks like they watered down the MCD version quite a bit. In your opinion, to an extent which makes the game boring to play, or would you still recommend it? Can't go for the PCE-CD original, unfortunately.

Conezays

Yeah, I've read about it. Looks like they watered down the MCD version quite a bit. In your opinion, to an extent which makes the game boring to play, or would you still recommend it? Can't go for the PCE-CD original, unfortunately.

If you can play it on Wii or through other means then sure. I wouldn't spend the $200+ price it seems to command on Ebay though. A glimpse at http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/lordsofthunder/lordsofthunder.htm confirms there are other difficulties at least which adds some replay value. I thought the gameplay, controls, and music were all strong regardless.

Galdelico

If you can play it on Wii or through other means then sure. I wouldn't spend the $200+ price it seems to command on Ebay though. A glimpse at http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/lordsofthunder/lordsofthunder.htm confirms there are other difficulties at least which adds some replay value. I thought the gameplay, controls, and music were all strong regardless.
Thanks! I wasn't aware of that price (yikes), but I guess it's quite realistic, since at the moment it can't even be found on eBay at all.

SKINNER!

Banned
Interesting, my friends Sega CD 2 loads Sonic CD loads much faster than mine :( why? Takes around 7 seconds to bring up the menu. Mines take more than 15 seconds :/

alf717

Anyone got any info about the differences between the #4102 and #4102A versions of the Sega CD model 2? My one is a #4102A and I was opening up my friend's Sega CD 2 which is a #4102 version. Looked a lot more condensed from thr inside and the CD laser part seemed to be made of better plastic. Anyone got any info about which version is better or which one lasts longer? Does it even matter? Cheers

Interesting, I took a look at mine and both are 4102 one made in Japan and the other China. I found some info but it seems to lack real info just guesses

The second version SEGA CD - Model #4102
Released 1993

I have also come across a Model #4102A. The ‘A’ unit was built in Japan and the ‘non-A’ unit in China. There are some differences on the CD Tray caddy, as far as how it’s held in the machine when the door is closed. On the outside they appear identical.

This SEGA CD was a drastic change to the original design, brought out with the remodel of the SEGA Genesis. Together the Genesis 2 and SEGA CD 2 made a nice looking side-by-side system. And while I prefer the look of the original, these two together are just as nice looking in their own way. The SEGA 32X also sits nicely on this set-up.

I’ve seen reports that this model of the CD has a bit faster load times than the original, they are nominal at best. It has the same internal memory capacity as the original. And in all my testing they both seem to play games about the same. I will say that this model seems to hold up better over time.

Again take a look at our HOW TO section for all the info on hooking these guys up in the numerous different configuration available.

Also, while the JVC X’EYE and SEGA CDX are ‘variations’ of the SEGA CD, they are so cool I gave them each their own page!

Interesting, my friends Sega CD 2 loads Sonic CD loads much faster than mine :( why? Takes around 7 seconds to bring up the menu. Mines take more than 15 seconds :/

Takes me from the moment Sonic jizzes from his finger only 4 seconds when the screen goes black. ~11 seconds if you count the jack off part. Both units use a Sony laser.

Wirehead is quite the game even in the first few minutes, lol.

Wirehead is wonderful. I mean, you're definitely just basically playing Dragon's Lair, and the end part is kind of a slog, and it's a C- or D-movie that you're watching there, but you know the occasional D-movie where your jaw is just on the floor watching the repeated unfolding of "wait, are they really going to do this, did they really film that? OH MY GOD THEY'RE GOING FOR IT. YES!"

This whole game is like that, and "did they actually film what I think they filmed" is pretty much selectable at will during any choice the game presents you with.

Okay, I had to take a break with Robo Aleste. That game was kicking my ass. I've still only made it to the fourth or fifth level. I'm loading this one up next, the smaller character scale is more what I'm used to having only played NES shmups. The fact that the playable area scrolls up and down is interesting to me.

4uhVS3R.jpg

Top Bottom