• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega CD/Mega CD Appreciation Thread of Welcome to the Next Level

cireza

Would you cop?
Why not ? But I doubt that making a quality list of 21 games would be easy, because a lot of good games on Sega-CD are locked behind third party publishers or licenses.

However, Sega could always try to re-release some of these games using emulators, with scanline filters etc... Would be interested to play some of them, especially on Switch as it is a portable device. Otherwise, I have my Sega-CD collection and my original hardware running just fine.

BTails

Why not ? But I doubt that making a quality list of 21 games would be easy, because a lot of good games on Sega-CD are locked behind third party publishers or licenses.

Third parties aren't necessarily locked away though, NES and SNES Classics have both included third party. In fact, arguably the greatest Third Party game on the Sega CD, Snatcher, is Konami, who have games on both those "Mini" releases, and has no license attached.

No idea who owns Lunar currently though, those might be tough to get on there. But Shining Force CD would be easy, Sega still owns that IP.

cireza

Third parties aren't necessarily locked away though, NES and SNES Classics have both included third party. In fact, arguably the greatest Third Party game on the Sega CD, Snatcher, is Konami, who have games on both those "Mini" releases, and has no license attached.

No idea who owns Lunar currently though, those might be tough to get on there. But Shining Force CD would be easy, Sega still owns that IP.
This is true. It requires some effort to get these games however. And when you look at what Sega is doing for Sega Forever, it does not look like they are willing to make the smallest effort at all...

Unfortunately :(

VirtuaIceMan

Neo Member
F1 World Championship: Beyond The Limit (aka Heavenly Symphony in Japan because why not?) was pretty good. Gameplay was an overly-easy jerky Mario Kart style thing (with hills), but the presentation (featuring real-life 1993 video footage and you having to replicated real-life scenarios, combined with meeting the real-life team bosses, engine staff, driver swaps, car upgrades, etc) was top notch.

Even though it was sprite based, they even had a one-off livery for one of the Ligier cars at the Japanese Grand Prix, where it ran in real life!

I think Game Arts still owns the Lunar IP.

GungHo Online Entertainment owns Game Arts (they published the recent Grandia II PC port, for example).

I would so be on board for a Sega CD mini. I wouldn't even mind some of the games being FMV games:
Tomcat Alley
Double Switch would be cool
If it hadn't just got a rerelease, Night Trap would have been a no brainer
I love Cobra Command
I'm sure people would be on board for Road Avenger
Same goes for Time Gal.
For nostalgia, Sewer Shark maybe

Non FMV games?
The Lunar games are obvious choices.
I can't imagine Popful Mail would be hard to get (Falcom, Sega, and whatever rights the remnants of Working Designs still retains)
Snatcher is a no brainer
Soul Star would be neat
AH-3 thunderstrike is still kind of fun
Wouldn't mind seeing Sol Feace again.
Same goes for the Sega CD port of Ecco the Dolphin
Final Fight CD would be a good edition
Dark Wizard is an obscure tactical RPG offering
Shining Force CD should be on there
Eternal Champions CD (its the best version of that game)
Silpheed perhaps
Terminator CD
The Misadventures of Flink is way underrated
Robo Aleste

I wouldn't do Secret of Monkey Island, and I probably wouldn't do Sonic CD. There are better ways to play both games.

Just got my Sega CD yesterday. Pretty stoked to finally play through Snatcher!

The dude threw in the Jurassic Park game too, which is nice cause I was likely going to pick it up sometime down the line.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I never owned one (or even played one, outside of emulation). Cool system with a lot of neat gems.

Lords of Thunder and Robo Aleste are two of my favorites.

cireza

Amazing thread bump. Will watch these videos later.

I love the Sega-CD, such an awesome system. Overall, I love all 16bits CD consoles/expansion. They feel like magic.

Robo Aleste are two of my favorites.
Robo Aleste is fantastic, one of my favorite shmups period. Great use of the Sega-CD hardware.

Last edited:

Kazza

I had one of these! I had Bram Stoker’s Dracula, Silpheed, and Night Trap lol.

Did you enjoy Night Trap when you first played it? It gets panned a lot these days, but I was pretty hyped for it back then, and it pretty much lived up to the hype for me. I never believed that FMV was the future of gaming and only had one other FMV game for the Mega CD (Sherlock Holmes, which I believe was a pack-in game), but I really liked it. I think what they did with the cameras in separate rooms and the colour-code changes made it interesting. Some people complain about missing out on some scenes due to being in other rooms taking out the monsters, but I think this just adds to the replay value (which is normally lacking in FMV games).

I still remember the paper I had which recorded where and when the monsters would a appear. I liked the various traps around the house. It made me feel like a real Kevin MacAllister from Home Alone.

HeresJohnny

Did you enjoy Night Trap when you first played it? It gets panned a lot these days, but I was pretty hyped for it back then, and it pretty much lived up to the hype for me. I never believed that FMV was the future of gaming and only had one other FMV game for the Mega CD (Sherlock Holmes, which I believe was a pack-in game), but I really liked it. I think what they did with the cameras in separate rooms and the colour-code changes made it interesting. Some people complain about missing out on some scenes due to being in other rooms taking out the monsters, but I think this just adds to the replay value (which is normally lacking in FMV games).

I still remember the paper I had which recorded where and when the monsters would a appear. I liked the various traps around the house. It made me feel like a real Kevin MacAllister from Home Alone.
Yeah, I felt it was kind of odd, because it didn't feel like a game in the traditional sense, but more like me advancing a story through parsed footage. It was a cool concept at the time. I was much more impressed with Silpheed though, which looked and played great. Dracula looked pretty but wasn't the best game.

Kazza

Yeah, I felt it was kind of odd, because it didn't feel like a game in the traditional sense, but more like me advancing a story through parsed footage. It was a cool concept at the time. I was much more impressed with Silpheed though, which looked and played great. Dracula looked pretty but wasn't the best game.

I avoided Dracula (I think it got pretty bad reviews at the time, and doesn't look like it's aged well either). Silpheed was one game I always wanted, but never got around to buying (ah, those days when you were restricted to your pocket money and the odd Xmas/birthday present for buying games, and when the term "backlog" wasn't even a concept in your brain)

Orenji Neko

Lunar, Lunar 2, Popful Mail, Snatcher, Keio Flying Squadron.....so many great, fantastic games for the good old Sega CD. Unlike the 32X which I feel was a legit bad decision, the Sega CD is, in my opinion, a fantastic addition to the Sega Genesis and no amount of maligned FMV games and lazy ports can bring down the true gems of the system.

Top Bottom