• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega CD/Mega CD Appreciation Thread of Welcome to the Next Level

Flizzzzzzz, where are your Snatcher impressions at? I'm curious to see what you think of it!
I don't normally play much if at all during the week so I haven't put in a lot of time on Snatcher yet. I started it last weekend and played about an hour and a half. I found Jean Jack (awesome segment) and went to his house. The story is great so far although I gave a little eye roll on the amnesia...which I'm sure will factor in some how. The Blade Runner and Terminator influences are right up my alley. I'm so glad there isn't some forced archaic save system so you can simply enjoy the story/adventure. The menu driven system works fine and is about what I expected. I'm hoping for some detective work stuff moving forward. So far I just had to find Jean Jack's age which I could figure out logically in the game, it wasn't some obtuse thing that you might see in some games from the era.

cireza

I don't normally play much if at all during the week so I haven't put in a lot of time on Snatcher yet. I started it last weekend and played about an hour and a half. I found Jean Jack (awesome segment) and went to his house. The story is great so far although I gave a little eye roll on the amnesia...which I'm sure will factor in some how. The Blade Runner and Terminator influences are right up my alley. I'm so glad there isn't some forced archaic save system so you can simply enjoy the story/adventure. The menu driven system works fine and is about what I expected. I'm hoping for some detective work stuff moving forward. So far I just had to find Jean Jack's age which I could figure out logically in the game, it wasn't some obtuse thing that you might see in some games from the era.
Lucky you, discovering Snatcher. I wish I could forget everything about the game and discover it again lol.

BTails

There's a bit of detective work later, one puzzle I can think of that stumps some people,
figuring out the name of the hospital,
but for the most part, progress is really "go everywhere and do everything".

The atmosphere, graphics, story, and music really keep you intrigued the whole time though. Glad you're enjoying it so far, it only gets better as you start going up against actual Snatchers!

And yes, Kojima wears his influences on his sleeve, even more here than other games. And it's awesome for it.

Bubba77

Man im late to the sega cd party. Just bought one last week and prices on the good games are high. Ugh! Excited to try them out though as I never had one as a kid. And I will say the game cases look great on the shelf.

There's a bit of detective work later, one puzzle I can think of that stumps some people,

The atmosphere, graphics, story, and music really keep you intrigued the whole time though. Glad you're enjoying it so far, it only gets better as you start going up against actual Snatchers!

And yes, Kojima wears his influences on his sleeve, even more here than other games. And it's awesome for it.
Yeah, I hope to play a lot this weekend. The music has really nailed it so far. I love the track when shit is going down Pleasure of Tension

Man im late to the sega cd party. Just bought one last week and prices on the good games are high. Ugh! Excited to try them out though as I never had one as a kid. And I will say the game cases look great on the shelf.
The RPG/Shooters are all fairly pricey at this point. I like the cases too but we seem to be the minority around here.

I completed Snatcher. This game was dope as hell. Yeah, it's pretty much a masterpiece. I can't believe there hasn't been an updated release. The story had some cliche elements starting up but really takes off. Everything was setup to allow you to enjoy and experience the story. I ended up never having to pull up a guide so that was nice.

I also played Lords of Thunder. I somehow managed to beat the game on my first try. Killing things in this game is so damn satisfying. I also love the sword attack when you get in close range of an enemy. Everyone already knows how amazing the music is. Really fun game, I'll probably play through it again with different characters. I played primarily with the fire dude this play through.

I completed Snatcher. This game was dope as hell. Yeah, it's pretty much a masterpiece. I can't believe there hasn't been an updated release. The story had some cliche elements starting up but really takes off. Everything was setup to allow you to enjoy and experience the story. I ended up never having to pull up a guide so that was nice.

I also played Lords of Thunder. I somehow managed to beat the game on my first try. Killing things in this game is so damn satisfying. I also love the sword attack when you get in close range of an enemy. Everyone already knows how amazing the music is. Really fun game, I'll probably play through it again with different characters. I played primarily with the fire dude this play through.

Yeah I really need to play both of these games.

BTails

I completed Snatcher. This game was dope as hell. Yeah, it's pretty much a masterpiece. I can't believe there hasn't been an updated release. The story had some cliche elements starting up but really takes off. Everything was setup to allow you to enjoy and experience the story. I ended up never having to pull up a guide so that was nice

So glad you enjoyed it! The story itself is pretty cliche, agreed, but it's told so well that you get immersed and can't stop playing. Though to be quite honest, I think the game would not be as well loved if it wasn't for the music. It's perfect, and does a great job getting you pumped, or nervous, or excited.

And I agree about an update: I remember thinking how amazing a DS rerelease would've been back when the DS came out.

On another topic, has anyone ever played Anett Futatabi? I came across it randomly while looking at Japanese Mega CD games, and it looks pretty cool. Bad reviews online, but I absolutely love early 90s anime cutscenes in video games, so I kinda wanna play it.

s_mirage

On another topic, has anyone ever played Anett Futatabi? I came across it randomly while looking at Japanese Mega CD games, and it looks pretty cool. Bad reviews online, but I absolutely love early 90s anime cutscenes in video games, so I kinda wanna play it.

I've got it. It's not great and almost feels unfinished. The cutscenes and audio are pretty good, but the gameplay is pretty rough.

Galdelico

I've got it. It's not great and almost feels unfinished. The cutscenes and audio are pretty good, but the gameplay is pretty rough.
Such a shame the whole series seems to share the same problem. I love El Viento and Earnest Evans anime artstyle, but then the games look pretty garbage, in motion, and feel very rough to play.

I'm following up Snatcher with Rise of the Dragon since they are supposedly similar. It is definitely rooted more in the pc adventure game genre.

BTails

Rise of the Dragon is really good too, though I originally played it in DOS. The Sega CD version is pretty unique: it has voice acting, whereas the PC version never had a CD release, onlys disks. However, the Sega CD has nowhere near the colours available on the PC, so the graphics end up more stylized, with heavy colour saturation, like the Green in the Matrix movies, for example.

The game gets pretty dark, and in true Sierra fashion (yeah, I know technically Dynamix), there's plenty of hilarious/brutal deaths. Make sure to use the drugs on yourself when you get some in your inventory!

EDIT: Plus, Cam Clarke voices the main character/narrates. It's hard not hear him and not immediately think of Liquid Snake, haha! I'm a huge Cam Clarke fan, my copy of MGS is signed by him.

IrishNinja

yeah, i really enjoyed Rise of the Dragon earlier this year - but only cause this time, i played with a guide. you can so screw yourself up in that game!

made me wanna finally play Shadowrun too.

GuyKazama

The Brazilian Surgical Strike 32X repo is legit. Got my copy from Brazil today!

Mv3Xyal.jpg

GuyKazama

Tell us more about that Streets of Rage soundtrack.

That was an extra I wasn't expecting. 19 Tracks. Haven't listened to it, but found a listing here: http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/...sonora-do-street-of-rage-sor-by-r-w-s-f-m-_JM

Google Translate said:
Soundtrack from Sega Street Of Rage (SOR). National launch by RWS I FM.
It can be played on any CD player. Comes with unique and unique cards in the series.
This box did not print to ordinary, inkjet, or digital printer.
It was not printed on plain paper, couchê or sulphite.
It has not been cut / trimmed on the scissors or stylus. It's not homemade work.
This material was printed on Off-Set graphics, on Cardboard Paper (similar to the 1990's), with special knife cutting and creasing.

Laws00

Got about 12 or 13 sega cd games

Can't wait to play some games soon. Looking forward to finally playing shining force cd

I'll list the games when I get home from work. Need recommendations on other games

That was an extra I wasn't expecting. 19 Tracks. Haven't listened to it, but found a listing here: http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/...sonora-do-street-of-rage-sor-by-r-w-s-f-m-_JM

Nice

Got about 12 or 13 sega cd games

Can't wait to play some games soon. Looking forward to finally playing shining force cd

I'll list the games when I get home from work. Need recommendations on other games

Got backup RAM? Shining Force annoyingly needs more memory than the system supports so if you want to play the secret fanservice book you'll need expanded memory.

Laws00

Okay here's what I
burnt
tell me if i'm missing something note worthy

I think i'm going to buy Silpheed next week to have at least 1 real sega cd in my collection

Android Assault aka Bari-Arm

Annet Futatabi If you didn't know it's a cheesy beat'em up. the final in a trilogy of games which include Earnest Evans and El Viento.

Burning Fists

Final Fight

Keio Flying Squadron

Lunar- Eternal Blue

Lunar- The Silver Star

Popful Mail- Magical Fantasy Adventure

Robo Aleste

Shining Force CD

Snatcher

Sonic CD

Space adventure aka Cobra

Time Gal

Vay

Night Trap

Okay here's what I
burnt
tell me if i'm missing something note worthy

I think i'm going to buy Silpheed next week to have at least 1 real sega cd in my collection

Android Assault aka Bari-Arm

Annet Futatabi If you didn't know it's a cheesy beat'em up. the final in a trilogy of games which include Earnest Evans and El Viento.

Burning Fists

Final Fight

Keio Flying Squadron

Lunar- Eternal Blue

Lunar- The Silver Star

Popful Mail- Magical Fantasy Adventure

Robo Aleste

Shining Force CD

Snatcher

Sonic CD

Space adventure aka Cobra

Time Gal

Vay

Night Trap

Dark Wizard, Dungeon Explorer II, Panic!, Road Avenger, Soul Star

BTails

Can't get my damn sega cd games to play music wtf

If you're "backing-up" games, you have to make sure you have a proper CUE file, and that the music tracks are in the right format to be burned correctly.

I always found Sega CD backups to be easier dealt with in ISO format rather than BIN/CUE, due to the redbook audio.

IrishNinja

damn, the trilogy really goes down after El Viento eh

anyway

Wirehead
Panic!
The Space Adventure
Heart of the Alien
Rise of the Dragon
Earthworm Jim
Revenge of the Ninja
Mansion of Hidden Souls (eh)
Ecco?
Make My Music Video featuring Kriss Kross

Voliko

Played 2 Sega CD games recently

Sonic CD- only mega drive Sonic I haven't played. I have the JP version. Honestly this game is very strange. The past and future gimmick is sort of interesting but it's usually a pain to activate. Searching for the thing to destroy in the past zone is not something I feel like doing so I pretty much gave up trying to do that. The JP soundtrack is bizzare, there are a few great tracks but many are downright weird, especially the ones with voices. The levels feel too big and haphazard. Everything looks a bit dull, not as colorful as 2/3/K. All in all, weakest 16bit Sonic by far for me.

The Terminator- The game itself is very average. If it wasn't for the soundtrack I'm not sure I would bother. The levels don't have many interesting scenarios- mostly just pressing on and shooting at the next enemy in your path. The final boss was kind of clever with having to drop the terminator down to the bottom level by shooting the switches but I feel like they could have done more with it. Game is far too easy as well. The soundtrack definitely steals the show here.

Gonna get Batman Returns next

Gonna get Batman Returns next
The driving segments in Batman Returns are so damn hard I could never beat the game. This is even after beating The Adventures of Batman and Robin which was nothing but driving stages and it was hard as hell. I think the side scrolling action levels are okay. The Genesis version is just those levels.

I played some of the Terminator today. I gotta agree that it seems very average. I understand that the terminators are strong but it doesn't make it super fun to duck and shoot at them for a while and angle shoot them off ladders. Too much stationary gameplay. I didn't get very far into the game yet though.

BKK

Ha! 4 reviewers all 80%+, the difference between US and UK magazines back in the day. Out of 7 UK magazines I have an average of 18% for this game, the worst being 3% by Mega Drive Advanced Gaming.

s_mirage

Ha! 4 reviewers all 80%+, the difference between US and UK magazines back in the day. Out of 7 UK magazines I have an average of 18% for this game, the worst being 3% by Mega Drive Advanced Gaming.

I can see both sides for this particular game. While the way the Mega-CD version plays is pretty faithful to the arcade original, it is a pretty simplistic game which, when combined with how badly the graphics were downgraded, would certainly kill it for a lot of people. Despite liking the original game, I couldn't recommend this port to anyone lacking a personal attachment to the game, unless maybe they're a big Zuntata fan (as it's the only version with an arranged soundtrack).

The graphic resolution is so badly compromised that my eyes go a bit funny while playing it. Perhaps the extreme blockiness of the graphics wouldn't have looked so bad on a 14-inch TV connected via RF blur-o-vision, but on something larger through RGB they're unbearable.

BTails

Would you cop?

Hell yeah. I'd be all over it, even if half the games were FMV. Boxart makes it look Tomcat Alley is included, which was my jam back in the day.

There's definitely 21 games worth playing on the Sega CD, and the hardware would look so cool. Though, I'd want it to resemble a Model 1 Genny with Model 2 hardware attached, not just that "cut in half" look in the photoshop.

Top Bottom