• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Sanic

Shake Appeal said:
A little worried about the controls. I don't know why we can't have a Bumper Jumper hybrid where Armour Ability is on the right bumper and melee is relegated to a face button (B?), but hey. I'll adapt. Slowly. While swearing.

I don't know why we can't have fully customizable controls, period. But I don't blame 'em, hardly any other console game has them.

Silly.Mikey said:
Anyone notice that no one ever zooms in with the Pistol in any of the videos? Weird.

Good question.

1. That better not mean it doesnt have zoom.
2. If it does have zoom please design it as a throwback to Halo CE's Magnum Zoom!

Cuban Legend said:
Good question.

1. That better not mean it doesnt have zoom.
2. If it does have zoom please design it as a throwback to Halo CE's Magnum Zoom!

Im guessing it doesnt. Who plays MP with the Halo1 pistol and doesnt zoom in??

Natakuu

Banned
Wasn't it said that the pistol can kill someone faster than the DMR? The lack of zoom would allow for it to fit in the sandbox without making the DMR useless.

Ten-Song

Natakuu said:
Wasn't it said that the pistol can kill someone faster than the DMR? The lack of zoom would allow for it to fit in the sandbox without making the DMR useless.

It's more a thing of distance, from what I remember. The pistol and DMR can go toe to toe in some ways, but the DMR is better from mid to long range, while the pistol is better for mid to close range shots. The pistol does have the zoom though, you can see that in the old trailer for the beta.

Natakuu

Banned
Ten-Song said:
It's more a thing of distance, from what I remember. The pistol and DMR can go toe to toe in some ways, but the DMR is better from mid to long range, while the pistol is better for mid to close range shots. The pistol does have the zoom though, you can see that in the old trailer for the beta.
If I recall from a podcast they state that they are both 5 shot weapons but the pistol has a faster rate of fire. If they both have zoom..not completely sure how this wouldn't make the DMR a lot less useful. Perhaps the reticle bloom is worse on the pistol?

Natakuu said:
If I recall from a podcast they state that they are both 5 shot weapons but the pistol has a faster rate of fire. If they both have zoom..not completely sure how this wouldn't make the DMR a lot less useful. Perhaps the reticle bloom is worse on the pistol?
The faster you fire the less accurate it becomes. Just because it can fire faster, doesn't make it a better weapon, especially after a certain distance. From what Sage was saying, the pistol bridges the gap between the AR and the DMR, range wise.

Silly.Mikey said:
Anyone notice that no one ever zooms in with the Pistol in any of the videos? Weird.
I am pretty sure it has zoom.

Wasn't it shown with zoom during one of the vidocs?

edit: here you go

0swm9.png

lxTSI.png

Natakuu

Banned
BladedExpert said:
The faster you fire the less accurate it becomes. Just because it can fire faster, doesn't make it a better weapon, especially after a certain distance. From what Sage was saying, the pistol bridges the gap between the AR and the DMR, range wise.
Yes, hence why I pointed out that the reticle bloom might be worse for the pistol:lol

Edit: Not to seem like an ass, in hindsight it sorta sounds like it. Sorry!

Natakuu said:
Yes, hence why I pointed out that the reticle bloom might be worse for the pistol:lol

Edit: Not to seem like an ass, in hindsight it sorta sounds like it. Sorry!

Not to worry dude. I was just sort of elaborating on your point a little. ;)

Natakuu

Banned
BladedExpert said:
Not to worry dude. I was just sort of elaborating on your point a little. ;)
Well the pics above seem reason enough not to doubt. I'm actually glad it does have zoom, despite my initial doubts on the need for it:lol

Anyone remember the DD44 Dostovei from Golden Eye on the N64? It wasn't really the most powerful weapon in the game by any stretch of the imagination, but man it felt good to use. I'm hoping the pistol in Reach, at the very least, gives you the same feeling of awesomeness. I know Bungie will never make a weapon like the pistol in Halo:CE again, so I have to look forward to the lesser things. :lol

MagniHarvald said:
http://i44.tinypic.com/2h2grxw.jpg

Reposting Spasm's much needed X Humper. This needs to make the final release Bungie =)

While were requesting control schemes, what about this?

RT - Fire
LT - Nade
LB - AA
RB - Jump

A - switch nades
B - Melee
X - reload
Y - switch weapons.

All the advantages of both the Halo 3 and Reach Bumper Jumper, with controls people will be used to from the older games. Seems like perfection to me. Hint Hint.

P.S. Go check out "Laying the table" on Halo Waypoint, its excellent, Mr Vociferous basically gets every vehicle imaginable onto the Halo 3 Scarab :lol

Great to see it's got zoom, I don't know how i could have forgotten seeing that clip of the Magnum with zoom.

I just hope since the Reach Magnum doesn't compare stats-wise to Halo CE's...

That Bungie will give the Magnum enough respect to make it 'feel' like CE's with Animations and such. At least a sick/unique reload animation (like the CS 1.6 Deagle.50s?) since the Melee anim is obviously changed.

bobs99 ... said:
While were requesting control schemes, what about this?

RT - Fire
LT - Nade
LB - AA
RB - Jump

A - switch nades
B - Melee
X - reload
Y - switch weapons.

All the advantages of both the Halo 3 and Reach Bumper Jumper, with controls people will be used to from the older games. Seems like perfection to me. Hint Hint.

P.S. Go check out "Laying the table" on Halo Waypoint, its excellent, Mr Vociferous basically gets every vehicle imaginable onto the Halo 3 Scarab :lol

Only problem with that layout is jump and shoot both on the right side. You basically have to stop shooting to jump (unless you shoot with your midlle finger). Thats the beauty of Bumper Jumper, jumping, aiming and shooting can all be done simultaneously.

MagniHarvald said:
http://i44.tinypic.com/2h2grxw.jpg[IMG]

Reposting Spasm's much needed X Humper. This [b]needs[/b] to make the final release Bungie =)[/QUOTE]

I actually quite like that layout. Crouching with X would be weird for a while, but extra versatility with AA's would be sweet with BJ. (overpowered? :P)

BladedExpert said:
Only problem with that layout is jump and shoot both on the right side. You basically have to stop shooting to jump (unless you shoot with your midlle finger). Thats the beauty of Bumper Jumper, jumping, aiming and shooting can all be done simultaneously.

Ah yeah, I was thinking that with a pistol or DMR an extremely tiny
super awesome
split second between jumping and shooting wouldnt matter tooo much (aesthetically at least.) I guess it would seem a little odd if your using a AR though.

Ill leave it to the professionals, personally I wouldnt mind the tiny second delay but I have no idea how this relates to gameplay. Spartan 3's must really suck compared to the old model if they cant co ordinate theyre fingers and legs at the same time huh :lol

Wiggum2007

Awww, after I switched my gamertag, bungie.net no longer reads me as having played any Halo 2 games, they only show up under my old gamertag when I search for it. Though all my Halo 3 game history carried over.

GhaleonEB said:
So I go to my local video game retail shop to pre-order Halo: Reach. The guy behind the counter greets me, asks what he can do for me. I tell him I'd like to pre-order Halo: Reach.

No problem, he says. Which version?

I'd decided on the middle version, the $80 set. I don't need the figurine display. I mean, it's great looking and the packaging is awesome and all but, I don't need it. I open my mouth and say, "The flagrantly expensive version."

By the balls, I tell you. :\
:lol I'll end up pre-ordering it eventually. Not sure where or when yet, because I'll be going off to college this fall, and I'll be living in a dorm.
Shake Appeal said:
This thread moves super fast. It just took me twenty minutes to catch up, including the update, which was great. Turns out I was right about how Invasion works, I just didn't realize there were multiple territories you could hit to activate the next phase.

A little worried about the controls. I don't know why we can't have a Bumper Jumper hybrid where Armour Ability is on the right bumper and melee is relegated to a face button (B?), but hey. I'll adapt. Slowly. While swearing.
wwm0nkey said:
After seeing that X was to use AA's, I have to go back to normal now :(
Alright you guys. Those of you worried about controls need to give Green Thumb a good try. RB for zoom, stick for melee, and LB for armor abilities. Green Thumb FTW.
Doodis said:
Bungie Podcast (Pi Rutsu)

Here's my offering to the podcast gods. Others zigged, I zagged. I know the audio clips terribly and the quality is awful. Apologies.
Hot damn. That is by far the best intro I've seen from any in HaloGAF (no offense to anyone else).

Get this man a F&F invite, stat.

Popeck

So I've been playing Team Doubles with my firend on Halo 3. My god, it is full of boosters. We always got mathed with a team of brigadier and corporal/sergeant with about 50 games and all of them on Team Doubles.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Popeck said:
So I've been playing Team Doubles with my firend on Halo 3. My god, it is full of boosters. We always got mathed with a team of brigadier and corporal/sergeant with about 50 games and all of them on Team Doubles.

That's hardly surprising, unfortunately. That playlist has a very bad reputation with boosters and second accounters.

Makes me gland that Reach is doing away with Ranked.

Popeck said:
I'm basically stuck at 45 in team slayer, because I don't play it anymore. And so I get a message almost everyday from random people offering to boost me to 50 for money. :p So lame.

Brainboy

Popeck said:

It's such a shame. I think this is partly the reason why I never really got into Team Doubles in Halo 3 in the same way as I got into Double Team in Halo 2. Shake Appeal and I used to play that all the time back in the day.

A Penguin

Dani said:
That's hardly surprising, unfortunately. That playlist has a very bad reputation with boosters and second accounters.

Makes me gland that Reach is doing away with Ranked.
I'm surprised people still even care about their rank at this point.

NJ Shlice

If I had talent i'd make a podcast intro that sounded like zach's school song.

"Bungie has a game thats cooool and you know that it's truuuueee..."

0.jpg

Monocle

Dax01 said:
Hot damn. That is by far the best intro I've seen from any in HaloGAF (no offense to anyone else).

Get this man a F&F invite, stat.
Agreed. Bungie, if you don't use that song for your podcast intro, I won't buy Reach
until the midnight launch

Top Bottom