• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games o' Gen 4 (SNES/Sega Genesis/PC Engine and more) Voting Over

1. Chrono Trigger - It's my favorite game of all time. Great characters, amazing music, and short and sweet by RPG standards.

2. Final Fantasy 4 - Up there as one of my most played games. Simple mechanics and story, but a great cast of characters carries it.

3. Mega Man X
4, Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past
5. Super Metroid
6. Super Mario World
7. Secret of Mana
8. Illusion of Gaia
9. Castlevania IV
10. Super Mario Kart

Fairly standard list from a SNES kid. It was hard to decide the order after the top 3.

1. Super Mario World ; Until Super Mario Galaxy 2 came out, I always considered Super Mario World to be my favorite platformer. It had a lot of creative level designs, power ups, fun use of Yoshi, open design to complete a level however you like, secrets to uncover, great music, and just fun all in a colorful world. It still holds up today.
2. Street Fighter 2: The World Warrior ; Another game I played a lot of growing up. This game defined the fighter genre for video games and got me into competitive types of games. Before SF2, I only played platformers, so this opened up my eyes to games that I can play with people.
3. Final Fantasy 4 ; I didn't play Final Fantasy until later, but when I finally played them after 10 years after the SNES Final Fantasy games released, I was surprised to find that my favorite of the SNES titles was Final Fantasy 4. The simplicity of the story, the basic ATB system, the memorable music all made the game something special to experience even 10 years after its original release.
4. Phantasy Star IV ; This game amazed me. 20 years after its release, I finally played it on the Vita and I couldn't believe that I hadn't touched it until then. The game was way ahead of its time with its macro system where you can pre-plan certain actions (e.g. Hero 1 heals, Hero 2 attacks, etc.) to save on tedium and make fighting more fast paced and fun. The game itself had a presentation very similar to early Sega CD games with still anime custcenes and character portraits. The pacing was spot on and promoted the player to keep adventuring. The story itself was pretty dark and well done throughout the adventure. I just wished I had played this game earlier in my life. It's a fantastic game that I feel is often forgotten or overlooked by gamers since most of us just talk about Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Star Wars: KOTOR, Baldur's Gate, etc.
5. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 ; I grew up playing this game a lot and while I liked it less than Super Mario World, I loved the different gameplay style Sonic had as well as the ability to play as Tails with my family. I have a soft spot for Sonic because of this game and the other Genesis/Megadrive Sonic titles.
6. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past ; I enjoy Zelda games and this is the epitome of the 2D Zelda games until Link Between Worlds came out. This game set the standard for what would become one of my favorite Zelda titles of all time, Ocarina of Time.
7. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening ; Right behind Link to the Past is Link's Awakening as one of the best 2D Zelda games. It had a sense of humor the series would never see again. The game was one of three games that kept me glued to the original Game Boy.
8. Tetris ; Brilliant game. This is one of three games that kept me glued to the Game Boy due to its simple puzzle action gameplay.
9. Kirby Super Star ; I played this game a ton with my family. Simple game for everyone to enjoy and anyone can play it. Whereas Mario and Sonic may be too difficult, Kirby is just fun for all with his cuteness and sharp gameplay.
10. Streets of Rage 2 ; It's a tough call between this, Final Fight, and Golden Axe, but in the end, I'll have to give it up to the game that I can still just pick up the controller with a friend and have fun for 30 minutes.

Celine

3. World Heroes Perfect (Neo Geo)

SDB5pwk.jpg

No, I'm not nostalgic nor am I kidding. The first 2 world heroes games are understandably derivative, clunky affairs that would make most people give up on the series. World Heroes Jet wasn't bad, but World Heroes Perfect is legitimately good at a casual level and downright cutthroat at the competitive level...think of it as a more grounded Marvel vs Capcom, with the occasional aerial-centric character like Brocken who can jump, drop a bomb, fly to your other side and continue pressure. It's also the first game where I saw guard drop attacks, roman cancels, and back-throw into super combos which appear in later fighting games. Adam Heart of the Xbox One Killer Instinct team has praised the game for it's character variety and lamented how overlooked it is. It was my fighter of choice for a couple of years, so I also highly recommend it.
You are a gentleman and a scholar.
WHP is indeed an underrated fighting game from the mid '90s.

it is not. i think the game boy had a significant influence on the industry and the fifth generation while the neo geo was a fourth gen system that ran for a long time, like the super famicom.
Ok, you do the rules.
This mean SSF2T is likely going to be replace by a Neo Geo fighting game in my top 10.

petran79

Banned
1988-93 basically, since I never owned a 16-bit console:

1. Secret of Monkey Island. MS-DOS
Played the game on my friends 8088 with green monitor and PC speaker. Still, it was one of the best games I had ever played. I remembered every setting and quote. Though we got stuck at Monkey Island. I finished the game many years later

2.Monkey Island 2: Lechuck's Revenge.MS-DOS.
Better than 1 but I'll list it second because 1 made a bigger impression. Adventure game perfection.

3.Day of the Tentacle. MS-DOS.
Having played NES Maniac Mansion, I felt familiar with the characters. Perfection x2. Storytelling in video games was reaching the next level.

4. Lakers vs Celtics: MS-DOS.
One of the best basketball games of that era. Remember playing it for hours with my friend, though he picked Lakers and demolished me with Kareem...Till NBA Live 95, this was our most played sports game

5.The Manager. Amiga
I remember watching the Bundesliga equivalent on the Amiga. One of the best football managers, it was showing what computers could do with that genre.

6. Battle Chess Amiga
I think it was this game that awoke my interest for chess. Never was a chess game so exciting. You always wondered how your pawn would be eliminated. One of the most unique games I had played.

7. Dragon Ninja Amiga
Best 2 player action game I had the chance to play. Too bad that jumping was near impossible

8. Cadillacs and Dinosaurs (arcade)
I dont recall how many times I finished that game. Very faithfull adaptation of the comics and Capcom's best beat-em-up.

9. Terminator 2: Judgement Day (arcade). Probably the game I had spent the most coins into. I felt as if I were inside the movie

10. Asterix (Arcade)
First Konami beat-em-up I had the chance to play back then. Being a huge fan of the comics, I felt they were coming to life. Japanese animated Asterix like in the films.

I disagree. I liked it more than LttP. Far superior combat, and I preferred the art style, story, enemy and world design, as well as its elemental mechanics for combat and puzzles. The only downside is that it's really short.

Did you get all the unlimited weapons? Man that ∞ Hyper Bomb was tough to get. Must have taken me about 100 tries the first time round.

Damn,

Quick scan says this is gonna be SNES heavy. Got to do my bit to re-address the odds...

1) Flashback: A Quest For Identity. One of the best games ever made. An early example of the blueprint that would become modern 3D Action-Adventure games like Tomb Raider, Arkham, and Uncharted. Let's go for the MegaCD version?

2) Civilization. Er, not only one of the best, but also one of the most important games ever made. The Amiga was a cool computer!

3) Fantasy World Dizzy. Just ask Yahtzee - 'nuff said. (another Amiga win!)

4) Mega-lo-Mania. MegaDrive/Amiga

5) Streets of Rage II. MegaDrive

6) Moonstone: A Hard Days Knight. Amiga - I just loved playing it

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I have added an honourable mention of Commander Keen 4, which, next to Jazz Jackrabbit, is my favourite PC-only game (and in order for me to play a game on PC it has to be PC-only).

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
For you guys mentioning Flashback, what do you think about the final few levels? I personally found them incredibly dull and repetitive, which ruined an otherwise great game for me.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Did you get all the unlimited weapons? Man that ∞ Hyper Bomb was tough to get. Must have taken me about 100 tries the first time round.
Haha I don't think I did? I did that 100 layer dungeon, so I got the infinity sword, but I don't remember infinite hyper bombs or how to get them. I don't really need it anyway, game isn't that hard.

Haha I don't think I did? I did that 100 layer dungeon, so I got the infinity sword, but I don't remember infinite hyper bombs or how to get them. I don't really need it anyway, game isn't that hard.

Getting the hyper bombs _may_ be the hardest part of the game. It's a series of very precise jumps while avoiding flying enemies and struggling against the wind on moving panels in the mountain area (think it was past where you get shade).

So many cool secrets in SOT. The Ifreet race in particular I never found until I'd played through a couple of times.

AniHawk

finally started adding these all up and the top 10 finally stopped being 'the best snes games' right now. top 3 are really close though.

Yoshi

finally started adding these all up and the top 10 finally stopped being 'the best snes games' right now. top 3 are really close though.

May I ask again, would you be fine with me doing a Game of Gen <=3 vote using your template when you are done with your gen 4 vote?

GamerJM

Banned
Not voting here since there are still too many great games from this era I've yet to play, but it's cool to see the variety here. I'm of the opinion that this gen probably has more underlooked gems that are of true classic quality and hold up super well than people realize (even taking into account how highly regarded it generally is), since a lot of people only think of the mainstream classics like SMW, SM, Chrono Trigger, Sonic 3+K, etc. when they think of gen 4, so I'm interested in seeing what comes up aside from the inevitable.

randomkid

Not voting here since there are still too many great games from this era I've yet to play, but it's cool to see the variety here. I'm of the opinion that this gen probably has more underlooked gems that are of true classic quality and hold up super well than people realize (even taking into account how highly regarded it generally is), since a lot of people only think of the mainstream classics like SMW, SM, Chrono Trigger, Sonic 3+K, etc. when they think of gen 4, so I'm interested in seeing what comes up aside from the inevitable.

you aren't going to get that in the final aggregate list, hidden gems will always be crowded out of those. you're better off looking at the few folks who decided to put together interesting ballots, and this thread is tiny enough for that to be completely feasible. even so, when i took a look at the list of eligible systems in the OP i decided there was simply no goddamn way to reasonably vote in anything for this thread or the soundtrack one. ten just ain't enough to demonstrate the coolest stuff of this gen even at the individual voter level.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
1. Tetris [GB] (1989) ; One of the best games every developed. One of the true masterpieces.

2. Chrono Trigger [SNES] (1995) ; It wasn't until Chrono Trigger when I discovered the sense of adventure and exploration in a game.

3. Mega Man X [SNES] (1993) ; A perfect sense of pacing. Took the fundamentally good but flawed execution of the Mega Man games and made an action game for the ages.

4. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars ;

5. Super Metroid ;

6. Doom [PC] ;

7. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past ;

8. Super Mario World ;

9. Final Fantasy VI ;

10. Super Mario Kart ;

Morfeo

Definitely agree with this, especially the Mega Drive just have a ton of hidden or semi-hidden gems if you go looking.

you aren't going to get that in the final aggregate list, hidden gems will always be crowded out of those. you're better off looking at the few folks who decided to put together interesting ballots, and this thread is tiny enough for that to be completely feasible. even so, when i took a look at the list of eligible systems in the OP i decided there was simply no goddamn way to reasonably vote in anything for this thread or the soundtrack one. ten just ain't enough to demonstrate the coolest stuff of this gen even at the individual voter level.

Thats another point about "missing" games played: it leads to a narrower field than will already exist.

cireza

Here is my list :

1) Lunar Eternal Blue Sega CD
I discovered this game only recently and was totally blown away. It became a contender to the title of favorite RPG ever, while I thought that Phantasy Star II and IV could never lose this place in my heart. So I am putting it first in my list, and recommend it to everyone who likes epic, and also touching, adventures.

2) Phantasy Star IV MegaDrive
Phantasy Star IV and II have always tied has best RPGs ever, I am choosing Phantasy Star IV here because I don't want to put two games of the same series in my top.

3) Shining Force CD Sega CD
I love the Shining Force series. Shining Force CD is a more enjoyable and easy entry, but I love replaying it. I also love the epic soundtrack and bonus content.

4) Castlevania Rondo of Blood PC Engine CD
Best Castlevania game ever. Too bad that it was not ported to the Sega-CD :)

5) Knuckles Chaotix 32X
Best Sonic game in my opinion (even if Sonic is not there !). I also love Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Sonic CD, but this one gets the edge. Great fun, easy to replay.

6) Snatcher Sega CD
Fantastic Visual Novel. Once again, the Sega CD blew me away with this game. The story was incredibly captivating and intense. Some very fun moments too.

7) Final Fight CD Sega CD
Best 2D beat'em up for me. This Sega-CD version is my favorite. The AI seems more affordable here, and the soundtrack is godlike.

8) Rocket Knight Adventure MegaDrive
This game is an incredible display of Konami's talent and of what the MegaDrive is good at. 320*240@60fps action, great speed and scrolling, clever use of the palette. Great fun.

9) Virtua Fighter 32X
This version is still my favorite one. I love the simple, colorful visuals, the game plays very well, and it was my first 3D fighting game. So it left a strong impression on me. You could also pick among 8 colors by characters, which I always pretty neat.

10) Doom 32X
For the same reason as Virtua Fighter, it was my first FPS. Despite this version not being the best out there, I played it a lot. I eventually came to know it by heart. Even if it was a not a very pretty version, it ran well enough on 32X.

And for information : Yes, I know SNES very well and love many games on it.

1. Super Metroid - The queen of all adventure games. While building off of features from the first game, matures pacing, combat, and level design/structure. Every Metroidvania since really copies this one.

2. Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past - Game so good and engaging, I replayed it immediately after finishing it.

3. ActRaiser - Amazing soundtrack and innovative gameplay makes this game stand apart from everything else in its time.

4. Final Fantasy III

5. Super Castlevania 4

6. Street Fighter II - This game began the modern fighting genre from simpy being beat em ups with a crappy versus mode.

7. Super Mario World

8. NBA Jam - One of the most universally fun games of all time, though everything but gameplay is poorly done (graphics, music, sound effects).

9. Final Fantasy II

1. Doom; Probably the strongest influence on my tastes of any game. I'm still playing its mods and direct descendants.
2. Metal Slug X; Feels way past the rest of this generation, but then it's a Neo Geo Game that came out in 1999.
3. Commander Keen 4; That pogo stick is great design.
4. Lemmings; 5&#8230;4&#8230;3&#8230;2&#8230;1&#8230;
5. Wing Commander;
6. Metal Slug;
7. Sonic 3 & Knuckles;
8. Gunstar Heroes;

x. Wolfenstein 3D
x. Super Noah's Ark 3D
x. Street Fighter 2 Turbo; Would have got on the main list if I wasn't so terrible at it.
x. Super Mario Kart
x. X-Wing
x. Syndicate
x. Cannon Fodder
x. Star Control 2

Celine

1. Terranigma ; My favorite game ever. This action RPG by Quintet not only has incredibly concept behind it which see the hero reviving our actual planet Earth and then advance the human progress but it also has a good execution with great graphics and audio to back it up.
Even more importantly Terranigma possess a strong soul, with a intelligent plot that isn't too invading and a memorable bittersweet finale.
2. Super Metroid ;
3. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening ; The only Game Boy game in my Top 10 and I choose it over A link to the past due to more personal nature. It's a terrific achievement for the system.
4. Chrono Trigger ; Timeless classic. It does everything right but it's brightest achievement is the fantastic pacing.
5. Yoshi's Island ; It is one of those games I think it's too good to be truth. The variety in between stages is astonishing.
6. Metal Slug ; Another timeless classic. Nazca run 'n gun game for Neo Geo redefine the genre through humor, strong action and simply stunning brackgrounds and attention of detail.
Later sequel built up over the concept of this game and became one of the more cherished series on Neo Geo.
7. Last Blade 2 ; Originally this spot was thought for a Street Fighter 2 revision which from a historical perspective is far more important than Last Blade 2 but later Neo Geo fighting games were improving the formula set by SF2 with their own spin on the genre.
In this case the spin is Samurai bouts during the Bakumatsu age with an odd but captivating melancholic mood.
As for later Neo Geo big games expect amazing graphics, music and controls.
8. Mega Man X ; Fantastic reboot of the Mega Man series.
9. Windjammers ; An original take on the old Pong formula by Data East. Infinitely replayable in two, this game is mainstay in our weekly retrogaming club.
10. F-Zero ; Before F-Zero racing games on consoles were usually view from top down or behind the car but with faking curves.
In F-Zero though you can really see the vehicle turn on the curves and on top of that at an exhilarating speed which were both factors unseen at the time.
Sure later on truly 3D sequels improved the series but this doesn't mean the original game isn't fun to play anymore.

x. Neo Drift Out ; I love this arcade top down rally game by Visco.
x. Last Resort ;
x. Magician Lord ;
x. Samurai Shodown 2 ;
x. Garou Mark of the wolves ;
x. Super Street Fighter 2 ;
x. Puzzle Bubble ;
x. Super Mario World ;
x. Demon's Crest
x. The firemen
x. Super Ghouls'n Ghosts ;
x. Castlevania IV ;
x. Contra III ;
x. Do-re-mi Fantasy ;
x. Donkey Kong Country 2 ;
x. Gambare Goemon 2 ;
x. Dragon Quest V ;
x. Final Fantasy VI ;
x. Earthbound ;
x. Super Mario RPG ;
x. Soul Blazer ;
x. Illusion of Time ;
x. Legendary Axe ;
x. Soldier Blade ;
x. Ys Book I & II ;
x. Castlevania Rondo no Chi ;
x. Dynastic Hero ;
x. Sonic 3 ;
x. Phantasy Star IV ;
x. Rocket Knight Adventure ;
x. Flink ;
x. Shinobi III ;
x. Ghouls N' Ghosts
x. Mega Turrican ;
x. Ristar ;
x. Doom ;
x. Day of the tentacle ;
x. Monkey Island 2 ;

Now onto the music for the generation voting thread.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
1. Doom
The 90's PC were built on "before Doom," and "after Doom". You can't argue with the father of first person shooter

2. Sonic 3 & Knuckles
You have to understand that Sonic & Knuckles is an expansion for Sonic 3, so it is only one game, and one of a kind.

3. Super Metroid
Yeah, I was a Mega Drive guy, but Super Metroid is the best fucking SNES game ever. Period.

4. Streets of Rage
I know that Final Fight was more good looking, but which game back then has a Special Attack that a police-man fires a missile(!!!) at the enemy?

5. Yoshi Island
Oh, you can feel the heart in this game. This is art, man.

6. M.U.S.H.A.
One of the first shmups. One of the best shmups

7. Castlevania IV
This is the best Castlevania ever. Sorry, Symphony of the Night fans, but grinding is nothing to skills.

8. Castlevania: Bloodlines
Because it's hard, has an awesome soundtrack, and you can choose two adventures in one game - ok, they're kinda the same journey, but still is awesome.

9. Contra: Hard Cops
Oh, Konami, so many goodies from you...

10. Alladin (Mega Drive)
It's sooooo pretty and smooth. It's the Ice-Cream of videogames.

X. Shinobi 3
X. Earthbound
X. Super Mario World
X. Sunset Riders

AniHawk

the fourth generation was the first time i had a video game system and i could play modern games. the only platform i had was the game boy, and it was a christmas gift in 1994. at this point, the generation was entering its twilight years - the jaguar was out, sega and sony were a year away from releasing their 3d systems. i was a clueless kid to all of that though, aside from a fuzzy recollection of a commercial for the atari jaguar in 1993 or 1994. the super nintendo and sega genesis were, what i thought, the final video game systems you would ever need.

aside from the game boy though, basically everything on my list, i played to completion first in 2000 or later. at that point, i was a teenager and i had a job, so i could afford a super nintendo and some games. i consider this generation to be the one where there were some real classics. after the nes era, 2d gaming really matured in a way that felt like developers were taking risks. bigger games, longer games, and for rpgs, new twists on old formulas. i have a special appreciation for what came out during this era, not just because i find it nostalgic, but because it feels so damn important for what came next.

10. sonic the hedgehog 3 & knuckles; as a kid, i really liked the sega genesis despite not having owned one, and this game was a big reason why. playing it at friends houses and at kiosks at best buy was how i was originally acquainted with this game. years later, when i finally owned it, i love the save feature (get it together sonic 2), the multiple paths, the look of the game, and the music. there’s almost too much stuff to do in this game, and it really feels like the tip of what sega could do with the series before they completely lost control.

9. day of the tentacle; i forget how we ran across this one, but it was the first game i played where a game’s story could be humorous instead of serious. the time travel aspect, the puzzles, the voice acting, and the wonderful sprite work bring to life a wonderful, strange, unforgettable point-and-click adventure.

8. final fantasy vi; this was my first final fantasy game. i think if it had been final fantasy iv or final fantasy vii, i might have really different tastes in rpgs. final fantasy vi is this really big story that gets told through 12 characters and what feels like about a year of in-game time.

7. tetris; tetris was, strangely, a game i never played until 1997 until i received it as a spontaneous gift on a family vacation (real nice of my folks too as the car ride took 10-12 hours). for years, it was a mainstay in my handheld collection, even on the gba where it was an easy way to kill a couple of hours on long family trips.

6. donkey kong country 2: diddy’s konq quest; donkey kong country never appealed to me, and donkey kong country 3 is kind of weird. i actually got into this series through the game boy donkey kong land series, and when i finally played the dkc games, i loved dkc 2’s vertical platform design. i feel like dkc 2 is the only one in the series to really nail down what it was. the pirate theme ties everything together while everything just uses the original dkc as a template and builds something a little bigger and better than that. also bramble scramble, man. that’s… that level is hard. that music is dope though.

5. super metroid; for the longest time, i had thought metroid was more like mega man. going in, i expected some kind of level-based platformer. instead, what i got was this moody sidescrolling action game. going back to it almost a decade after originally playing it and it’s remarkable just how well it holds up. a one-of-a-kind classic that seems to fortunately have been a product of its time.

4. chrono trigger; this game has everything: multiple endings, time travel, several characters to team up with and unlock special attacks… it’s a hell of a game to be introduced to the rpg genre with (actually it was pokemon, but i didn’t realize this until years later).

3. sonic the hedgehog 2; sonic 2 is basically my super mario bros. 3 to sonic 3’s super mario world. yeah sonic 3 and super mario world are bigger, have a save feature, have more characters and more power ups, but sonic 2 and super mario bros. 3 hit a specific balance where they encourage replayability despite no power ups. sonic 2 isn’t what super mario bros. 3 was versus their respective original games, but they’re both to me that pinnacle of what their 2d series means. when i wanted a sega genesis, it was so i could play sonic 2. when i got sonic mega collection, i played sonic 2. when the sonic games were on virtual console, i only got sonic 2. there’s something almost arcadey about how it’s made that just keeps me coming back to it again and again.

2. terranigma; i forget how i stumbled across this thing, but i don’t know what i was expecting. terranigma was my first action-rpg and the bitterest game i’d played up until that point. as a game, this had everything for me - a fun battle system, a great sense of reward and progression as ark saves the world, and a pretty surprising plot twist that turns everything on its head. a special and unforgettable experience.

1. the legend of zelda: link’s awakening; after years of asking my parents for an nes, or a super nes, or a sega genesis, or a game gear, or a game boy, they finally bit the bullet and got me a game boy. not only did i get a system and super mario land, but it came with the legend of zelda: link’s awakening. zelda was a series i knew about thanks to marketing efforts for a link to the past and from the incredibad 1980s cartoon, but i had never had the chance to play it. at some point after having run through super mario land, i gave this a shot, not knowing what to expect, and it actually took a long time to beat. my dad even played his own save file for a couple of months before we both hit a brick wall with the second boss fight (we didn’t have internet at the time). but i pushed onward and eventually completed the game. and then i replayed it immediately under the name ‘jerk’ since i thought it was hilarious. and then i replayed it again half a decade later as link’s awakening dx to see if it held up.

it did. a link to the past is the bigger/better rendition of legend of zelda’s world, but link’s awakening was the one that actually felt like an adventure. i know that part of it was that it was the first game i’d ever played with an explicitly-told story, but there was more than that. there’s a sense of resourcefulness when link isn’t forced to always carry a shield and a sword. the fact that you can map out whatever he is going to use at any given time and that it can actually be nothing, is the game telling you something. 30 years on and i think that link’s awakening is the most consistently good game in the series.

1. Chrono Trigger ; GOAT. Forever and ever.
2. Earthbound ; I just wrote about this in the Nintendo top 50 thread. Simply a great lovable game. We often forget the unique rolling hp counter. More games should use this.
3. Terranigma ; We didn't get Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG or Earthbound but this game almost made up for it. Loved rebuilding the world.
4. Yoshi's Island ; Beautiful with a great soundtrack. My favorite 2D 'Mario' game. The crying Mario gave me so much stress I did everything to rescue him. This often resulted in falling into pits and losing stars.
5. Mystic Quest (Final Fantasy Adventure) ; One of the first rpg's I played. I bought it because it had armor on its cover, that's what we did as a kid. I still have the map in good condition.
6. Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble ; It's not easy to pick the best DKC from the original trilogy but I loved the chunky baby and hovering girl combo the most.
7. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening ; Maybe it's because it's a little different from other Zelda games but this is my favorite.
8. Final Fantasy Legend II ; I was starting to become a Final Fantasy fan and that meant I had to get the Legend games. I only played the second one though and I haven't even finished it. It was to difficult for me back in the day. My friend and I did get a long way until we got stuck in a tower. Too weak to continue and too low on health to go back.
9. Killer Instinct ; Kiiiiiiing combo! Loved the combo system in combination with the announcer.
10. Pokémon Blue ; The game that started it all. And it's still going strong with Go and the upcoming Sun/Moon release. I never thought it with be this big.

x. Ecco the Dolphin ; The one game that made me jealous I didn't have a Mega Drive. When it released on XBLA I laughed at myself though. What a turd. Still deserves the mention because of 10 year old me.
x. Sword of Hope II ; Somehow I got this game in German. Couldn't understand a word that was on my screen. Still played it a lot. Should I try the VC version that is available on 3DS?

Lynx_7

1. Chrono Trigger - One of my favorite games of all time and the golden standard of what JRPGs can be like at their best. Every single facet of this title is just incredibly well polished, which isn't surprising given the pedigree behind it. A shame not many rpgs since then have tried to follow its template, not even its own sequel attempted to.
2. Super Mario World - Up there with the best of its genre, imo only slightly losing to its predecessor, SMB 3. SMW is just a really nostalgic experience for me and, having replayed it somewhat recently, I was reminded of just how good it truly is, despite a few shortcomings.
3. Final Fantasy VI - What can I say that hasn't already been said? Though it's not unquestionably my favorite FF game like it seems to be for a lot of other people (it's either this, IX or VII for me), it's hard to deny just how much this game does well. Unfortunately, it's a bit messy on the gameplay side, with unbalanced systems and enemies which makes the whole experience rather uneven and not as challenging as it should've been. Still, it's a very good game with lots of memorable scenes.
4. Dragon Quest V - The lesser known gem of the JRPG all-time classics, at least in the west. Best coming of age story in the medium as far as I'm concerned. To be fair I've only played a few hours of the SNES version and am mostly voting for it on the strenghts of its remakes, but I just couldn't make a gen 4 list without including one of my favorite rpgs.
5. Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War - This might have ranked higher had I actually finished it, but even only halfway through I already feel like it belongs here. Great setting, world building, plot, characters and gameplay. It just does most things right, although admittedly the huge maps can be a tad too time consuming to traverse, but it still isn't enough to diminish how much I actually like playing it.
6. EarthBound - The more I think about it, the more I realise just how much I really like this game. Ever since playing it many years ago, the only bad things I can remember about my time with it was the limited inventory (it sucks, just straight up sucks) and maybe the fact that it's so hard to avoid enemies in the world map. Everything else about it was just superb.
7. Castlevania: Rondo of Blood - My second favorite Castlevania title, only behind Symphony of the Night. It's by far the best designed Classicvania, with just the right balance between being challenging and fun (unless you use Maria, in which case you'll just steamroll through the game, which is fun in its own right).
8. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - Probably the title in this list that I need to revisit the most. It's got some of the best pacing, dungeons and overworld of the entire series, but I can't remember much of my experience with it other than being really annoyed with how gigantic Ganon's castle/tower was.
9. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest - The only other pure platformer that can really compete with Mario imo. Great level design, bosses, ost and, most importantly, fantastic atmosphere for a game of its genre, which I think is one of the things the Retro titles, as good as they have been, weren't able to recapture. There's something haunting and melancholic yet beautiful about it.
10. Final Fantasy IV - This game is just fun setpiece after fun setpiece once it gets going. It also has some really memorable moments, and as far as gameplay is concerned it's a much better balanced game than VI. It's really amazing how much more concise and tightly paced the best jrpgs used to be back then, which is almost the opposite view people have of the genre nowadays.

Basically JRPG: The List (featuring Nintendo, special guest Castlevania). I really need to replay some gen 4 games.

tav7623

Really? To each their own I suppose! I quite liked it at the time but felt that, of the GB MM games, II was the weakest. Very easy.

I know when it comes to Gameboy Mega Man games that 2 isn't considered anywhere near the best one of the bunch, but it was the first Mega Man game I ever played (I later ended up renting Mega Man 2 for the NES based on the enjoyment I got out of playing the Gameboy MM 2) so I have a lot of nostalgia for it, even though playing all the way through it today is fairly easy for me. I also added it cause I wanted to add a Gameboy game to my list, but since I haven't played many Gameboy games overall my selection was fairly limited to Tetris (the cliched/obvious choice), Revenge of the Gator Pinball ( a short, but imo underrated pinball game), Terminator 2, Bart Simpson: Escape from Camp Deadly, and Mega Man 2.

AniHawk

May I ask again, would you be fine with me doing a Game of Gen <=3 vote using your template when you are done with your gen 4 vote?

i have no problem with it, but i would check with moderation first, and also coordinate with dark schala so she can do the soundtrack version if she feels like it too.

Megatron

1. Secret of Mana ; Like Zelda, but with 3 person co-op. An incredible game
2. Megaman X ; Just the perfect 2D side scrolling action game
3. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
4. Super Mario World
5. Super Mario RPG
6. Super Metroid
7. X-Men (Genesis)
8. Aladdin (Genesis)
9. Castlevania 4
10. Bonk's Adventure

AniHawk

i'm a little surprised at how well mega man x is doing. not that i think it's a bad game or anything, but i didn't know its following was so big. same goes for streets of rage 2.

redcrayon

i'm a little surprised at how well mega man x is doing. not that i think it's a bad game or anything, but i didn't know its following was so big. same goes for streets of rage 2.
I think Megaman X has benefited (outside of being a great game anyway) from being up on the Wii, WiiU and New 3DS Virtual Consoles, and SoR2 from the 3D edition. A lot of games listed here aren't easily available if you want to catch up with them today.

I don't remember MMX being quite so popular in the 90s. If I was to hazard a guess, what's happened is that games like Mario Kart, Star Fox and Street Fighter have been pretty much superceded by later entries, and the FF, DQ and CT JRPGs didn't get an EU release which holds them back slightly (EU gaffers are the ones voting Secret of Mana instead). That leaves the top-level platformers and scrolling beat 'em ups/shooters standing tall.

redcrayon

I know when it comes to Gameboy Mega Man games that 2 isn't considered anywhere near the best one of the bunch, but it was the first Mega Man game I ever played (I later ended up renting Mega Man 2 for the NES based on the enjoyment I got out of playing the Gameboy MM 2) so I have a lot of nostalgia for it, even though playing all the way through it today is fairly easy for me. I also added it cause I wanted to add a Gameboy game to my list, but since I haven't played many Gameboy games overall my selection was fairly limited to Tetris (the cliched/obvious choice), Revenge of the Gator Pinball ( a short, but imo underrated pinball game), Terminator 2, Bart Simpson: Escape from Camp Deadly, and Mega Man 2.
Cool, thanks for the reply! :) I had Camp
Deadly too, really didn't like it. If you only play one more GB game and have access to a 2DS/3DS, do check out Mega Man V, it's really, really good.

GamerJM

Banned
I think Megaman X has benefited (outside of being a great game anyway) from being up on the Wii, WiiU and New 3DS Virtual Consoles, and SoR2 from the 3D edition. A lot of games listed here aren't easily available if you want to catch up with them today.

I don't remember MMX being quite so popular in the 90s. If I was to hazard a guess, what's happened is that games like Mario Kart, Star Fox and Street Fighter have been pretty much superceded by later entries, and the FF, DQ and CT JRPGs didn't get an EU release which holds them back slightly (EU gaffers are the ones voting Secret of Mana instead). That leaves the top-level platformers and scrolling beat 'em ups/shooters standing tall.

I honestly think Egoraptor's Sequelitis video on Mega Man X might have at least a little bit to do with its growing popularity. A lot of retro games can see a small growth in popularity due to YouTube but I think the video does so more than most because instead of going "hey check out this cool game I'm playing," it's a really well-reasoned argument for MMX being one of the most well-designed games ever, and something that everyone absolutely must play.

Celine

If you like sidescrolling action games or beat 'em up then you are likely to cite one of those two.

redcrayon

I honestly think Egoraptor's Sequelitis video on Mega Man X might have at least a little bit to do with its growing popularity. A lot of retro games can see a small growth in popularity due to YouTube but I think the video does so more than most because instead of going "hey check out this cool game I'm playing," it's a really well-reasoned argument for MMX being one of the most well-designed games ever, and something that everyone absolutely must play.
Sure, I've seen that, agree entirely. For my part, the bit I love about the opening stage is the first few seconds as vehicles flee past you trailing smoke- it's a great visual that says 'help, the city is under attack' in a few seconds without slowing down or hindering gameplay with a lengthy cut scene.

More recently, I think Shovel Knight handled it's intro stage in a similar, intuitive 'learn by doing' way.

1. Mortal Kombat II ; I would spend hours and hours in the arcades with my two brothers while my mother would read a book close by (bless her for doing this). When this game first came out it really was something else. I was in second or third grade I believe. You had to be 18 to get into the arcades unless you were supervised so we mostly would play against kids twice our age or more. We held our own easily, and were actually better than most. On one not so busy day this one guy wasted several dollars trying to defeat me before finally giving up. This game was incredible, the answer to SF2. I always preferred the vibe and the feel of MK. Definitely one of my favorite childhood memories.
2. Super Mario World
3. Streets of Rage 2
4. Street Fighter II
5. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
6. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
7. Contra: Hard Corps
8. Sonic the Hedgehog
9. Super Mario RPG
10. Super Metroid

Morfeo

Im a euro, and I voted for FF3 :) And no way Star Fox and Street Fighter have been superceded! But good argument, there is doubt many people think like this.

ohlawd

I think I counted four people who've mentioned a Final Fantasy Legend or Adventure.

that's four more people than expected.

halfbeast

Banned
1. Lemmings (Amiga/1991)
2 players, 2 mice, infinite steps and the nuke button. better particle effects than Resogun!

2. It Came From The Desert (Amiga/1989)
how many games let you escape the hospital in a wheelchair, so you can save the world from giant mutant ants? step your game up, GTA!

3. Monkey Island 2 : LeChuck's Revenge (PC/1991)
how much wood would a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck would chuck wood?

4. Final Fantasy VI (SNES/1994)
nothing witty to say, it's just a damn good game, kupo!

5. Dune II : Battle for Arrakis (PC/1992)
stupid worms better not be eating my harvester on the way back to the base!

6. Prince of Persia (Amiga/1990)
Pajama Prince still the best Prince!

7. Super Mario World (SNES/1990)
second
best Mario game of them all!

8. Wing Commander II : Vengeance of the Kilrathi (PC/1991)
it's part Telenovela part Space Sim. loved the look of the Kilrathi race (before 3 turned them into Sesame Street characters)

9. Wonderboy III : The Dragon's Trap (Game Gear/1989)
so glad we're getting a spiritual sequel AND a remake of this... wonderful little game!

10. Qwak (Amiga/1989)
it might not be the most impressive or innovative game, but of all the one screen platformers/bubble bobble-likes this is my favourite. ost is great too!

never noticed how awesome 1989 has been.

I'm of two minds about my own voting in this thread and what I've read from others...on the one hand, I definitely feel the folks who are like, "hey, everyone is really SNES heavy, where's the hidden gems?" It's not that fun to get list after list of Chrono Trigger, Metroid, LTTP, and so on. But on the other hand, the "where's Beyond Oasis and Phantasy Star" or "these gamers haven't done their research" kind of stuff can only go so far. I mean, I totally feel that Beyond Oasis, Phantasy Star, Shining Force, etc. are awesome, but I just wouldn't put these games in my top ten. It doesn't mean I haven't played them or that I don't love them - I only had a Genesis as a kid and didn't play many SNES games until much later - but I simply personally wouldn't put them in my top ten games of that gen. If we expanded this out to top 25 or something, or if I were to list my favorite hidden gems from the gen, yeah, you'd get Target Earth, Beyond Oasis, Ranger X, Kid Chameleon, Battle Mania 2, Dark Wizard for Sega CD, etc. But a top ten? Those won't crack it...again, not that I don't love them, it's just that the SNES library, in my own opinion, just had way more polish, crispness, and overall incredible experiences for me. So a SNES-heavy list doesn't necessarily mean people haven't played and greatly enjoyed Genesis, Turbografx, etc.

I feel like some people are looking for something different from this thread than what it is - I'm not criticizing at all (except for the guy who said that the Genesis was pure garbage, what the-), I totally get where you all are coming from, but I think you'd be best served by a "hidden gems of gen 4" type of thread. I know some people must be putting in some wild choices to show some love to underappreciated titles (the poster repping Fantasy World Dizzy and Moonstone: A Hard Days Knight...I love ya for those selections, haha), and I think a hidden gems thread might be best for that, instead of showing that love in a thread dedicated to what you really think are the best games of the gen.

Aters

1. Final Fantasy VI ; Probably my favorite game of all time and I first played it about five years ago. The characters are depicted in broad stroke yet every line is poetic. The gameplay strikes the perfect balance between making each character unique and large room for customization. The soundtrack is Nobuo Uematsu at his peak and the graphic ages like fine wine with the expressive sprite-based animation. The opera scene is probably one of the best scenes in videogame history.
2. Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War ; Hands down the best FE game ever and one of the best SRPGs ever made. The story is miles ahead of its peers in the series. Only the gigantic maps can capture the epic scale of the game.
3. Dragon Quest V ; The story is easily one of the best in the series and it gives out a strong Shakespearean vibe: marriage, vengeance, and reunion with family. The monster training system adds much more flair to the gameplay.
4. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past ; My first Zelda game and still my favorite.
5. Chrono Trigger ; Great story and presentation, but the gameplay is a little bit repetitive for my taste.
6. Super Metroid ; I can never get into Castlevania, but I really enjoyed Super Metroid. Though I have to say the control is a bit stiff compared to the GBA games.
7. Seiken Densetsu 3 / Secret of Mana 2
8. Earthbound

Damn I hate it when I play the remake versions so I can't put them in here. Tactic Ogre and DQVI.... they deserve to be on this list.

AniHawk

1. Final Fantasy VI ; Probably my favorite game of all time and I first played it about five years ago. The characters are depicted in broad stroke yet every line is poetic. The gameplay strikes the perfect balance between making each character unique and large room for customization. The soundtrack is Nobuo Uematsu at his peak and the graphic ages like fine wine with the expressive sprite-based animation. The opera scene is probably one of the best scenes in videogame history.
2. Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War ; Hands down the best FE game ever and one of the best SRPGs ever made. The story is miles ahead of its peers in the series. It shares a similar theme with FFVI: destruction and rebirth. FFVI destroys the world while this game kills all the characters. Only the gigantic maps can capture the epic scale of the game.
3. Dragon Quest V ; The story is easily one of the best in the series and it gives out a strong Shakespearean vibe: marriage, vengeance, and reunion with family. The monster training system adds much more flair to the gameplay.
4. Tactic Ogre ; Played the PSP remake. Not sure if I should put it here because the remake changes so much from the original it's nearly a new game. Though I have no doubt the original's story is just as amazing.
5. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past ; My first Zelda game and still my favorite.
6. Chrono Trigger ; Great story and presentation, but the gameplay is a little bit repetitive for my taste.
7. Final Fantasy IV ;
8. Dragon Quest VI ; I always think it's an underrated title in the series.
9. Super Metroid ; I can never get into Castlevania, but I really enjoyed Super Metroid.
10. Pokemon Red/Blue ; I mean, it's the first Pokemon game.

Basically JRPG the list. What can I say? These 2D RPGs always age better than those platformers and action games. Some games I'm currently working on (with little progress) that might get into the list:
x. SMT
x. Lufia II
x. Terranigma
x. Dragon Quest IV

I also have a middle sized backlog which I think I can clear in about ten years.

pokemon didn't make the cut - it was part of the 5th gen vote.

Yoshi

4. Tactic Ogre ; Played the PSP remake. Not sure if I should put it here because the remake changes so much from the original it's nearly a new game. Though I have no doubt the original's story is just as amazing.
Anihawk said that playing Remakes, rather than straight ports, is not sufficient, so I think you should not include that in your list.

cireza

5. Dune II : Battle for Arrakis (PC/1992)
stupid worms better not be eating my harvester on the way back to the base!
Great pick. Had totally forgotten about this game. Played it a lot on MegaDrive. I remember that you could only pick the units one by one, but it was still an amazing game. Great soundtrack too.

Top Bottom