• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
bobs99 ... said:
I actually disagree - you want to know which team has the ball so you can deal with them accordingly. If Red team has a power weapon you know to attack a lot more cautiously.

so you mean you're agreeing with him?

Ten-Song

Major Williams said:
Good catch - it was kind of expected that we would see more.

I hope that they keep it open to add more AA's with DLC (and armor), unlike their inability to with H3. The community can come up with some great things that would be fun to implement.

I'd rather not see that if it means getting locked out of online because I don't buy the stuff. They could strive to make stuff like new permutations and armor abilities free, but I'm not dumb enough to think that would actually happen. The way Bungie does match making is already insanely frustrating with how DLC locks non-DLC players out of a vast swath of play lists, I can't imagine how annoying it'd be to get locked out of a game anywhere at any time because you don't have a new armor ability.

The Crawf

EazyB said:
IIRC Bungie hasn't said anything about there being more AAs but Tom Morello said there was a halogram one and maybe others. I'd be surprised if there were more AAs for MP as they'd probably want them to be tested in the Beta but having campaign exclusive ones is to be expected. Halo 3 had the turret, invincibility, and invisibility equipment that never made it into MP.

That old Edge article mentions Grav Lift and Power Drainer as AAs

Major Williams said:
Good catch - it was kind of expected that we would see more.

I hope that they keep it open to add more AA's with DLC (and armor), unlike their inability to with H3. The community can come up with some great things that would be fun to implement.
Oh yes please I hope they allow ablilties to be DLC, or like throw in a new ability with each map pack to sweeten the deal at the time.

GhaleonEB

EazyB said:
Randoms can't Halo their way out of a wet paper bag. If that's where we're setting our expectations HaloGAF has hit an all-time low.

So watching that Inside Xbox thing, this pops up:

IIRC Bungie hasn't said anything about there being more AAs but Tom Morello said there was a halogram one and maybe others. I'd be surprised if there were more AAs for MP as they'd probably want them to be tested in the Beta but having campaign exclusive ones is to be expected. Halo 3 had the turret, invincibility, and invisibility equipment that never made it into MP.

Edit: Jesus, that flaming head permutation is obnoxious. I just might have to t-bag everyone I see who uses that.
Bungie has in some of the pre-Beta coverage said there would be more AA in the shipping game. Something to the effect of, the Beta is a subset of the final number, and they're including the ones that they need more user testing data back on.

The Crawf said:
That old Edge article mentions Grav Lift and Power Drainer as AAs
Grav lift = Jetpack

Power Drainer = EMP from the Armor Lock

NG28

OMG I was watching that 35 min Giantbomb vid again for that quest and there was seriously 15 seconds left on the video when I accidentally clicked on a link and left the page. fml.

Ten-Song

NG28 said:
OMG I was watching that 35 min Giantbomb vid again for that quest and there was seriously 15 seconds left on the video when I accidentally clicked on a link and left the page. fml.

If you're trying to do the quest over again, it's not like you actually have to watch the video again every time. Just open it up in a new tab/window, turn the sound off, and check back later.

Trasher

Yup, my greatest fears have been confirmed after watching that GiantBomb video. PEOPLE ARE STUPID. That dude kept running those flags to the ENEMY'S Stockpile zone. I feel like you could have plucked three random people off of this thread and made a more informative video about the Reach beta WITHOUT any of us having even played it yet. smh...

The Halo 3 Beta only had the Bubble Shield, Trip Mine, Gravlift, and something else(Power Drainer?). In the final retail version Flares, Regenerators, Radar Jammers, and Personal Shields were added. Personally, I feel like most of the ones added sucked(or at least implemented improperly). So hopefully Bungie can come up with some more awesome AAs to add in this time.

Trasher said:
Armor lock seems like you can go invulnerable wayyyy too much. And the fact that you can use it for a fraction of a second if you want.
I was thinking the same thing but working that shit out is what the beta is for right? If my understanding is right the longer you are in the lock the lower your shields will be once coming out of it. I think that is a fair trade off. Say that you can use armor lock 1 or 2 times before you need to recharge. I would think whether you are in lock for 1 or 5 seconds it would use up one of those 2 "charges".

Ten-Song

Church RvB said:
The Halo 3 Beta only had the Bubble Shield, Trip Mine, Gravlift, and something else(Power Drainer?). In the final retail version Flares, Regenerators, Radar Jammers, and Personal Shields were added. Personally, I feel like most of the ones added sucked(or at least implemented improperly). So hopefully Bungie can come up with some more awesome AAs to add in this time.

Were trip mines in the Halo 3 beta? I honestly can't remember if they were revealed later or not.

NG28

Ten-Song said:
If you're trying to do the quest over again, it's not like you actually have to watch the video again every time. Just open it up in a new tab/window, turn the sound off, and check back later.
I know but I think it is one of those first people to get in get a beta thing, although I was probably too late anyways.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Armor Lock seems like a disaster waiting to happen. It looks really annoying in the gameplay videos.

Very interested to get my hands on the beta and see how it all flows together.

Trasher

Church RvB said:
Which is why I'm concerned that there aren't more in the beta to test thoroughly. Look at how popular the Flare, Personal Shield, and Radar Jammers are...lawl.

Magni

Ten-Song said:
Were trip mines in the Halo 3 beta? I honestly can't remember if they were revealed later or not.

Yes trip mines were in the beta. They weren't in the full game though.
Much like the Carbine was removed =(

Havok

NG28 said:
I know but I think it is one of those first people to get in get a beta thing, although I was probably too late anyways.
Considering the newspost announcing the quest was up quite a bit later than the quest itself, I doubt that's the case.

Ten-Song

NG28 said:

If you're thinking it's a first come first serve thing with people completing the quest early getting all the codes, they put up a news item to clarify that everyone has till the 29th to finish the quest, at which point there will be a random drawing amongst people that have all the quests completed. No need to rush.

Trasher

MagniHarvald said:
And they were actually kinda useful in the beta with the way you could stick them on to vehicles and such. After the beta they became absolutely worthless IMO.

MagniHarvald said:
Much like the Carbine was removed =(
trip mines? what was different to the mines the retail version had?

Wish I played the H3 beta more then I did, only had a few hours since it was my friends copy of Crackdown at the time.

Trasher said:
And they were actually kinda useful in the beta with the way you could stick them on to vehicles and such. After the beta they became absolutely worthless IMO.
:O I can see that being a pain in the ass after a while though, fucking exploding warthog!

Trasher said:
Yea but they seemed to kill your own teammates as much if not more often that the other team.

Havok

Diablohead said:

Wish I played the H3 beta more then I did, only had a few hours since it was my friends copy of Crackdown at the time.
They were awesome in the beta. Not nearly as much so at retail.

Plus they could stick to the undersides of Warthogs. Dude.

Sean P.

Diablohead said:

:O I can see that being a pain in the ass after a while though, fucking exploding warthog!

The beta trip mines owned everything, killed hogs instantly etc.

Too many people used them to betray though

Trasher

Captain Blood said:
Yea but they seemed to kill your own teammates more often that the other team.
That's not the game's fault. That's people just being stupid and not communicating to their teammates.

But then again I guess your average Halo player is fairly stupid and needs to have simple gametypes/weapons in order to have a good time.

NG28

Ten-Song said:
If you're thinking it's a first come first serve thing with people completing the quest early getting all the codes, they put up a news item to clarify that everyone has till the 29th to finish the quest, at which point there will be a random drawing amongst people that have all the quests completed. No need to rush.

Cool thanks for the info.

Trasher said:
Which is why I'm concerned that there aren't more in the beta to test thoroughly. Look at how popular the Flare, Personal Shield, and Radar Jammers are...lawl.

Yeah, exactly my point. They weren't implemented properly. The flare could have been good. Same with Personal Shield. Hopefully we get quality AAs in the final retail game.

Also, Beta Tripmine was sooo awesome. Throw one in the mancannon and just wait for the Triple Kill. :lol

Ten-Song said:

Well thats a relief cos I'm number 624 :lol

feel

EazyB said:
SMH at people confused about which way to run a flag. If the combination of UI + different bases isn't enough, just stick to grifball for your objective fix.
Sure...

EuropeOG said:
So...

Any new .gifs today? :D
There were some cool ones posted earlier. I won't be making any this time around since I'm avoiding gameplay videos until I get to play the beta in a week.

Mines were quite nice on rat's nest in halo 3, I would stick them around corners and most of the time get a kill due to a speeding enemy warthog not seeing it.

Also throwing them randomly onto man cannons was fun.

wwm0nkey

Church RvB said:
I completely forgot that was even in Halo 3 :lol

Voltron64

Cocopjojo said:
Some folks on here were asking, so we put up a full-length video of an Invasion match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc56vri0SGw
Nice.

chuckApproves-small.gif

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Also, for the record, that's not any of the Waypoint (or Bungie, for that matter) staff playing. I won't name names, though. :)

Personal Shields were pretty tight in Dodgeball.

Even in campaign, most of that equipment was worthless. I played through on Heroic without ever really using anything except the Bubble Shield a few times, and I can't imagine bothering with a turret or whatever on Legendary.

Oozer3993

I just noticed, in the Giant Bomb video, during Generator Defense, when there's a weapon drop, a marker will appear over it and the word ordnance pops up when you're near it.

P.S. I love you Cocop <3

Cocopjojo said:
Some folks on here were asking, so we put up a full-length video of an Invasion match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc56vri0SGw

Thanks!

One interesting thing I noticed in the other videos was the fact that the Hog gunner had a 'ammo indicator' so he could see when he was about to overheat. It would be awesome if the driver could see this aswell so could drive around the map in tune to when the gunner can shoot.

who is the announcer in the waypoint youtube video right at the beginning? the one announcing the human objective. sounds familiar.

a couple more things...
  • getting shot at with the plasma repeater looks intense.
  • love the audio 'stun' you get with a grenade.

Top Bottom