• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Natakuu said:
You're right. They were so clueless, they didn't know where they were or how to hold a controller! You're acting like they kicked your dog over a 30 minute video that you are in no way obligated to watch:lol

? Apparently they shouldn't be held to the same standards as other "gaming journalists", my mistake. They must have set up a professional looking business and website just for giggles, eh? If not, shouldn't they at least try and be professional?

They sounded like they were drugged up and given a college physics book to decipher or something. It's kinda alright to not know what's going on, even in a video where you're supposed to. But to sound like you couldn't give a crap about being correct or about the opportunity to narrate a 35 min video of an upcoming and hugely popular game, is stupid. At least pretend to be interested ffs.

And I'm thankful for the voice I was given after watching the video. Merely sounding lazy and carefree all the time would be so so shitty.

DualX

Natakuu said:
You're right. They were so clueless, they didn't know where they were or how to hold a controller! You're acting like they kicked your dog over a 30 minute video that you are in no way obligated to watch:lol
Damn them for giving us new footage!
obvious sarcasm

Phloxy said:
Was their a shot a few pages back of first person warthog, or was it fake?

There was. I think it was a screen grab from the Giant Bomb vid. No clue what it was all about though. Seemed like a cut scene or something.

Rampant speculation: Maybe there is an intro vid for the beta?

edit: Upon further viewing, that's what it seems to be.

DualX said:
It was in the Giantbomb demo, looked to be the part of the start menu attraction vid.

Yep, just went and took another look. Pretty awesome too!

DualX

BladedExpert said:
There was. I think it was a screen grab from the Giant Bomb vid. No clue what it was all about though. Seemed like a cut scene or something.
It was in the Giantbomb demo, looked to be the part of the start menu attraction vid.

Stabby McSter said:
Maybe it's a return to first person passenger viewing!

i wish :(

Thats what im hoping for. I actually hope theres a setting somewhere so you can choose whether you see from 3rd person or 1st when in vehicles.

I would actually be pretty happy if its merely a 'camera angle' specific to theatre mode - that would also be awesome.

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
Unless you're riding shotgun! :p
Or you're using it in the Race gametype.

I've long said that Halo's vehicle play is better than most vehicle-focused games. With a dedicated gametype again, it makes sense to add additional optional views such as cockpit.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Diablohead said:
In other news (bungie.net is working for me)

53731238-Full.jpg

http://www.bungie.net/News/Blog.aspx?mode=news#cid25836
:lol
Human weapons are no longer projectile based right? Does that means that moments like these won't occur anymore?

zumphry

Banned
Just finished watching the Luke video on GamesRadar.

*Leads sword guy on* *kills sword guy* "I kinda led him on, give him something to hope about" :lol

Watching these videos makes me so jealous of you lucky bastards that are getting in early. Reach just seems to bring back the somewhat frantic nature of Halo/Halo 2 that Halo 3 seemed to lack for some reason (I have no idea what that is, though).

godhandiscen said:
Human weapons are no longer projectile based right? Does that means that moments like these won't occur anymore?
I don't think it was ever even hinted at that anything but DMR was hitscan. I would assume pistol and AR are too, but sniper being so seems pretty wrong.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Son of Godzilla said:
I don't think it was ever even hinted at that anything but DMR was hitscan. I would assume pistol and AR are too, but sniper being so seems pretty wrong.

The Pistol, DMR, AR and Sniper are all hitscan. The power weapons aren't and Covy weapons fire projectiles some leading is involved.

godhandiscen said:
They will it will just be instant, like the sniper is currently in halo 3.

Even a hitscan weapon can reflect off walls if told to via code, it just means instead of an actual object flying through the air to it's destination it's an instant occurrence.

Lunchbox said:
you nerds should stop crying about giantbomb

jeff wasnt playing
People should still research what they are talking about. Wish I could get paid for a job like theirs.

Gui_PT

CrazedArabMan said:
I know, it would probably look similar to this...

http://www.bubblycreations.co.uk/Wedding_Stationery/Designs/Fleur/Images/textured%20bazzil/thumb_bazzill-purple.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Look at those hi-res textures

And people say Reach doesn't look much better than H3

big ander

Just watched the GamesRadar and Joystiq videos. Both were awesome. The sound was beastly. Grenades sound terrifying, the AR rips people up, the DMR sounds sexy, etc. The maps are looking very good. Powerhouse looks pretty fun, particularly. And then there's the multitude of tiny little things (ghost reticule, elevation-sensitive motion tracker, and more) that make this look like so much fun. Can't wait. :D

logen9999

Banned
got a halo reach beta key from ODST that i dont plan on using. willing to trade for 3 months xbox live pass or best offer. PM me if interested.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
logen9999 said:
got a halo reach beta key from ODST that i dont plan on using. willing to trade for 3 months xbox live pass or best offer. PM me if interested.

There is no key with ODST. The disc itself is the access to the Beta, unless that's what you meant. :p

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
logen9999 said:

There's no key with ODST, the disc itself is what gives you access. Also, trying to sell something which is freely available and clearly not for resale is pathetic.

Nobody fall for this crap.

Edit: Beaten

feel

Lunchbox said:
Hey Lucy smith, i can beat you 1v1 mlg rules in Reach ........and i've never even played it before. Send a F&F code my way if you got the balls.
No custom games in the beta. :p

This thread will be a mess in a couple of days.

logen9999 said:
you better pray for bish not to be lurking the thread right about now..

Gui_PT

logen9999 said:

I'll give you a half eaten sandwich. Will mail it to you for free

Take it or leave it

logen9999

Banned
Dani said:
There's no key with ODST, the disc itself is what gives you access. Also, trying to sell something which is freely available and clearly not for resale is pathetic.

Nobody fall for this crap.

Edit: Beaten

ok, i didn't know the CD is the key, i played ODST for a bit and put it away, figured i'd let somebody else have access to the beta since i'm not interested. trading keys is done a lot on pc games so i thought it would apply here too.

if i broke a rule then i'm sorry.

Havok

Giant Bomb is running a limited edition Halo quest on their site (have to be logged in to complete, visit your quest page), and they say there's a chance for a beta key to those that complete it.

Bet you're sorry you made fun of Brad's voice now, eh? (edit: Just caught up on the last page, didn't realize the GB video comments had turned into full-on douchery. Way to represent, HaloGAF.)

logen9999 said:
Were you trying to con someone or just ignorant of how it worked?

fin said:
Please forgive my noobie-ness. What's the difference between hitscan and non hitscan weapons?
Non hit scan = projectile, travels real time through the game world at what ever speed it's told, even at a super fast rate it might be two to three frames in before it hits something, also works differently depending on how the engine works.

Hit scan = instant to the point where math is used and usually works out the path instantly, if it's in your crosshair it's hit unless something was in the way at the exact moment you fired.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
logen9999 said:
ok, i didn't know that, i played ODST for a bit and put it away, figured i'd let somebody else have access to the beta since i'm not interested. trading keys is done a lot on pc games so i thought it would apply here too.

if i broke a rule then i'm sorry.

The main issue is that the Beta is free and has been advertised as such. Selling free stuff is generally frowned upon. However if it just ignorance about the specifics, no harm done.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Diablohead said:
They will it will just be instant, like the sniper is currently in halo 3.

Even a hitscan weapon can reflect off walls if told to via code, it just means instead of an actual object flying through the air to it's destination it's an instant occurrence.

People should still research what they are talking about. Wish I could get paid for a job like theirs.
It will feel weird if suddenly all the bounces just appear out of nowhere compared to Halo 3 when the bullet is actually traveling and you are able to see it. However, I trust Bungie to handle it well.

J-Rzez

That Luke vid does look pretty good. Color me interested again. I put up ODST on my queue from Gamefly to check out the beta and see how it feels. It "seems" like they're trying to go back to a "CE" feel plus some nifty armor/ability additions, so maybe it'll finally hook me again like "CE" did. Here's to hoping, and also hoping NO FLOOD.

Dirtbag

Boy does armor lock look totally overpowered in this footage.
Maybe if your shields didn't recharge during it, I duno then it'd probably be mildly useless. But hot damn does that look unfair the way it works right now.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
logen9999 said:

Don't listen to those guys. They're jealous. I'll buy it for a 150$!!!!!11

Top Bottom