• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Oh my god, the water on Overlook (puddles, waterfalls, etc.) looks fucking scrumptious. So does the gameplay. The only map I'm not feeling right now is Sword Base - way too compartmentalized and a Prisoner successor's windows should be breakable, no? That would at least help ease the claustrophobia a bit.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
RdN said:
Mna, the GiantBomb video is terrible! They didn't know anything about the game.. not even the basics like there's no dual-wielding and all.. :lol

I turned it off right when they called the map Overlook, Overkill. :lol

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Not a Jellyfish said:
I turned it off right when they called the map Overlook, Overkill. :lol

Yeah, such a shame, too. They're some obnoxious folks over at GiantBomb.

I wonder why it's called "Ask Me Anything" considering they don't even know the answers. :p

Trickster

RdN said:
Mna, the GiantBomb video is terrible! They didn't know anything about the game.. not even the basics like there's no dual-wielding and all.. :lol

Indeed, you'd think they'd read up about the game a bit before making 35 min video about the game called "ask me anything" :lol

Domino Theory said:
Yeah, such a shame, too. They're some obnoxious folks over at GiantBomb.

I wonder why it's called "Ask Me Anything" considering they don't even know the answers. :p
I know they have a lot of games to cover but seriously, what do that do all day? should they not research their next game for 5 minutes so they at least know something about it?

Game journalists, getting worse every month, sorry.

Not sure how many of you are Giant Bomb regulars, but I should at least let you know that in most cases they are being sarcastic when they use the phrase "ask me anything" and hey don't forget, all you guys are deep into Halo, not everyone is.

_Bro

Banned
"You play like me. You play the Brawler, right?
"Yeah, Boxer?"
"Yeah. Dudes are crazy."

so many good quotes from giantbomb

-------

The reason giantbomb is funny is because it's not even real journalism (videogames, lol). They don't even know what the hell they're talking about and using humor to cover up how little you fact check/research/etc. is pretty dumb.

RdN said:
The GB guys feign ignorance on purpose so that they can ask answer questions for the audience.

Most of the time.

Case in point: Luke gave no info at all unless pried. And even then "OMG DOESNT DUMB REPORTER KNOW DIFFERENCE BETWEEN NEEDLER AND NEELDE RFILE!!>?"

Lunchbox

Banned
this Luke Smyth character is terrible at Halo

He's almost as bad as Peyton "choke" Manning at the playoffs

Hey Lucy smith, i can beat you 1v1 mlg rules in Reach ........and i've never even played it before. Send a F&F code my way if you got the balls.

My first day I start my internship at MGS is actually May 3rd. Unfortunately, that means I will have no time to play the beta for a while, so I'm going to hope I can get a F&F code somewhere to play it early before I start work (which for all I know may be working on Halo :lol)... Calling in sick to MGS so I can play the beta would be a little ass-backwards I would imagine :lol

S1kkZ

darkressurection said:
Not sure how many of you are Giant Bomb regulars, but I should at least let you know that in most cases they are being sarcastic when they use the phrase "ask me anything" and hey don't forget, all you guys are deep into Halo, not everyone is.
its not to hard to get some infos togehter before you comment on a 30+ minutes video. and i am pretty sure that microsoft has given them some infos or press kits.

Trickster

darkressurection said:

Hey I love giantbomb, but the reach video is awful, they get things like the map name wrong and they don't even know if there is dual-wielding in it. You shouldn't be a game journalist if you can't get simple things right.

Foxy Fox 39 said:
Maybe my computer sucks, but could someone utube that luke vid? Its not loading properly. :(
39 minutes remaining! gg

Iced_Eagle said:
My first day I start my internship at MGS is actually May 3rd. Unfortunately, that means I will have no time to play the beta for a while, so I'm going to hope I can get a F&F code somewhere to play it early before I start work (which for all I know may be working on Halo :lol)... Calling in sick to MGS so I can play the beta would be a little ass-backwards I would imagine :lol
Yea, I start new job on Monday, was totally unthrilled upon finding out.

Odrion

Banned
Man, Dave was somehow even worse than Brad. He kept feeding flags to the enemy FFS. :lol

But yeah, regardless of whether they're feigning dumb or not, it's nice that they had a Q&A to explain about various aspects of the game.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
GhaleonEB said:
And so does everyone's around you, so they know someone is in the area with camo. Of all the armor abilities so far, that one has my favorite pro/con mix.

i love that a team could arrange to have an active camo guy nearby when stealing a flag. not to be invisible and stealthy, but just to hide nearby and screw with the radars of those defending.

Giant Bomb for life, fuck the haters.

They might not know much about the Halos, but they're still easily the best gaming website out there.

That said, the GamesRadar vid is definitely the best. Anyone who uses "tertiary" in the course of conversation is ok in my book.

Accidentus

Neo Member
Are people really getting upset about the GB guys not knowing about duel wielding? Are you not going to play the Beta if it's included? The Beta starts in a little over two weeks. You'll find out whether or not there's duel wielding within 20 seconds of your first game. This is the reason I purposefully avoid all this pre Beta press. I saw the first vidoc and already determined that I was going to play it. Does it really matter that you know exactly what armor abilities, what weapons, what maps, etc are going to be included. You'll find out when you play the damn thing. Plus it ruins the surprise when you know exactly what you're going to get.

stephen08

Accidentus said:
Are people really getting upset about the GB guys not knowing about duel wielding? Are you not going to play the Beta if it's included? The Beta starts in a little over two weeks. You'll find out whether or not there's duel wielding within 20 seconds of your first game. This is the reason I purposefully avoid all this pre Beta press. I saw the first vidoc and already determined that I was going to play it. Does it really matter that you know exactly what armor abilities, what weapons, what maps, etc are going to be included. You'll find out when you play the damn thing. Plus it ruins the surprise when you know exactly what you're going to get.

They really didn't know a lot about the game they were covering. That's what people are hating on.

darkressurection said:
Not saying they need to know every detail but man it's their job is it not? going in pretty much clueless is just lazy.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Accidentus said:

i think its just that, as professionals, they should know what they are talking about before having a feature.

GhaleonEB

op_ivy said:
i love that a team could arrange to have an active camo guy nearby when stealing a flag. not to be invisible and stealthy, but just to hide nearby and screw with the radars of those defending.
That's already a plan I am looking forward to testing on Stockpile. It's basically a portable, rechargeable radar jammer, with the user invisible. I plan to make defenders paranoid as long as possible. :lol
Lunchbox said:
this Luke Smyth character is terrible at Halo

He's almost as bad as Peyton "choke" Manning at the playoffs

Hey Lucy smith, i can beat you 1v1 mlg rules in Reach ........and i've never even played it before. Send a F&F code my way if you got the balls.
I don't think this is going to work.
Accidentus said:
It's more that they didn't know what the hell they were talking about, but had an insistence on talking at length about it.

Trickster

Accidentus said:

Would you also be as willing to just overlook things if you went to the dentist and he didn't know what the fuck he was doing? I doubt it.

Diablohead said:
Not saying they need to know every detail but man it's their job is it not? going in pretty much clueless is just lazy.
I wouldn't go so far to say they were clueless. I am with you guys that they should have brushed up a bit before making the video, but some of you guys that are bagging on them are acting as if they are retarded or something.

Chinner

Banned
MLG MLG MLG MLG MLG *rolls around on floor crying like a baby* if you babbies actually want to play a game based entirely on skill then play Quake not Halo.

In other news (bungie.net is working for me)

53731238-Full.jpg

http://www.bungie.net/News/Blog.aspx?mode=news#cid25836
:lol

darkressurection said:
I wouldn't go so far to say they were clueless. I am with you guys that they should have brushed up a bit before making the video, but some of you guys that are bagging on them are acting as if they are retarded or something.

Hard to stumble and look for another way to describe it.

Seemingly drunk, "whats my job again?", don't give a shit, etc. Those also work.

BladedExpert said:
Needle Rifle looks so good in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing (Luke). Can't wait to use that and the DMR... and the Pistol. This time next week...
This is one of the things that really caught me by surprise as well, looking forward to getting my hands on a neerifle.

I liked the GiantBomb footage because it was pretty much uncut. Sure they guys didn't know everything about the Beta and Reach in general, but I didn't feel like it was that big of a deal. I say good job to the guys. Also, I enjoyed the IGN videos :-O

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Captain Blood said:
This is one of the things that really caught me by surprise as well, looking forward to getting my hands on a neerifle.

I was not too surprised by how well the needle rifle looks to perform, I had assumed it would be very close to the DMR in performance in order to balance the loadouts between Elites and Spartans in Invasion.

Lazslo

Tashi0106 said:
Just watched the
Gold Tier
gameplay from Luke. I think that's the only video I'll be watching until the beta drops.
Yeah same here, except I just watched the two videos on Waypoint. The actual 343i video was really clear and concise. Waypoint has been constantly putting up awesome videos for awhile now. The schedule for this week looks really good with a mystery treat coming Wednesday I think.

Also again here's some podcast intros from Gaf. It would be cool if they used one from here, believe.

Also, still so hyped for Arena. Formula incoming?
pZHMO.jpg

Natakuu

Banned
FunkyMunkey said:
Hard to stumble and look for another way to describe it.

Seemingly drunk, "whats my job again?", don't give a shit, etc. Those also work.
You're right. They were so clueless, they didn't know where they were or how to hold a controller! You're acting like they kicked your dog over a 30 minute video that you are in no way obligated to watch:lol

I like spotting the other angles of the same Invasion scene throughout these vids - just caught Luke's perspective of a Spartan in armour lock being patiently waited out for the kill by a Wraith. - "Clever Girl"

Luke's commentary video is definitely the best so far - so awesome to listen to.

Top Bottom