• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

neoism

derFeef said:
I liked those.

reach_timedboom.gif
homer-drool.gif

akmcbroom said:
Is it just me or does Evade look to be one the best armor abilities?

Obviously Luke is good, but I may be using Elites much more than I thought. :D
Evade is an excellent ability.

However, you cannot 'choose' to be an elite. It seems to be a random choice in the gametype which side is which.

taylor910

Holy shit at these vids! Cant wait for this beta to drop!!!

Anyone know how long the armor lock lasts/can last? Im sure its been asked I just dont wanna dig. Thanks!

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Major Williams said:
Evade is an excellent ability.

However, you cannot 'choose' to be an elite. It seems to be a random choice in the gametype which side is which.

Except in Elite vrs Elite Slayer.

taylor910 said:
Holy shit at these vids! Cant wait for this beta to drop!!!

Anyone know how long the armor lock lasts/can last? Im sure its been asked I just dont wanna dig. Thanks!

About five seconds maximum, but you can perform it for shorter durations with a smaller area of effect.

Raide

akmcbroom said:
Is it just me or does Evade look to be one the best armor abilities?

Obviously Luke is good, but I may be using Elites much more than I thought. :D

Yeah, it does look pretty awesome but I can see people evading into walls and off edges. :lol

I wonder if you can spawn onto your Battle-bro and instantly use Camo?

I meant to ask: when Luke engages Camo to allow his buddy to spawn... is that part of the AA itself? Because it's a pretty cool bonus tacked into the ability for Invasion games.

Also, I expect to see montages of people no-scoping out of Evade rolls in no time, Gears of War style.

taylor910

Raide said:
Yeah, it does look pretty awesome but I can see people evading into walls and off edges. :lol

I wonder if you can spawn onto your Battle-bro and instantly use Camo?

I agree evade looks really good, but sprint does as well. Love the guy sprinting with the hammer!

Im not sure how I like the battle-bro thing though. A couple times I saw a one on one fight and then a friend spawns in. I have a feeling I will be frustrated by this in the near future...

Edit: Seems there is some type of "no spawning while in combat" contingency?

Raide

Shake Appeal said:
I meant to ask: when Luke engages Camo to allow his buddy to spawn... is that part of the AA itself? Because it's a pretty cool bonus tacked into the ability for Invasion games.

Also, I expect to see montages of people no-scoping out of Evade rolls in no time, Gears of War style.

There are certain conditions to Spawning on your Bro, like not being in Combat, enemies around etc. Maybe the Camo puts you out of combat and lets the Spawn take place. You noticed the other time Luke is waiting that the Elite tries to Camo but still has people shooting him, and Luke has to spawn elsewhere.

Doodlebug

I'm so glad that Elites are once again intimidating.

While I pretty much agree with everything else positive that's been said about the visuals so far, I'd like to say that the animations and physics are looking fine. They've impressed me a few times, and I'm really picky.

Thermite

GhaleonEB said:
Here's the roundup I've got in the OP. I'll probably cap it there as I'm trying to be representative rather then comprehensive due to space reasons. Trash talk is so casually woven into Luke's commentary. So good. :lol

Video | Giant Bomb (35 minutes) | Joystiq | IGN | New footage is on Waypoint | GameTrailers | Game Radar, commentary by Luke Smith (if you only watch one, watch this one)

If there's another standout video I'll update.

Awesome, thanks for this. Watching now! :D

Edit: Just some random thoughts..

- The Emblem selection screen is sooo much better now and seems to be even more responsive than Halo 3's. Being able to cross your emblem with a background without having to select one or the other is so much better than Halo 3 and Halo 2. <3 whomever made that change
- Mark V armor variants. FUCK YEAH
- Powerhouse looks ridiculously good. I really, really want to make babies with that map. Lots and lots of babies.
- Being able to use camo, so your teammates can spawn on you is AWESOME.
- The Needler is actually more much effective than I thought it would be with the new shield/health system. Love it!
- :lol :lol :lol @ Luke's trash talk. "This guy just armor locked for no reason. Let's just melt him. Oh, oh, let's see what happens..yep and he's dead." :lol
- The "ghost reticule" is....interesting. Visually showing bullet travel is a pretty cool concept.
- Jetpacking seems like something that would be fun for some social "party games", but in competitive games with reasonably skilled players, it just screams instant kill to me. I'm probably just going to stick with Armor Lock and Sprint, personally..

Mayyhem

I have this sinking feeling that Armor Lock will be raged about by the time the beta is over, I sincerely hope I'm wrong though.

Definity

In one of the Joystiq vids I could hear the announcer say "close call". What triggers that? Getting a kill with your shields/health depleted?

Popeck

Luke's gameplay <3 It was pretty painful to watch the GiantBomb guys play since they clearly didn't know what they were doing. Can't wait to get more playtime with Reach.

Definity said:
In one of the Joystiq vids I could hear the announcer say "close call". What triggers that? Getting a kill with your shields/health depleted?

Yeah.

S1kkZ

Mayyhem said:
I have this sinking feeling that Armor Lock will be raged about by the time the beta is over, I sincerely hope I'm wrong though.
why? the luke video shows clearly that its not overpowered.

GhaleonEB

subrock said:
I like that your radar goes bonkers when you use active camo.
And so does everyone's around you, so they know someone is in the area with camo. Of all the armor abilities so far, that one has my favorite pro/con mix.

There's a great moment in the Waypoint video (I think?) where the combination of camo and scrambled radar means the player can hide somewhere on Boneyard and the guy who was going to kill him wanders off.

Oozer3993 said:
Best part: Will Tuttle was playing as an Elite. He was KingTut33 on Covenant A :lol

Random tidbit I noticed: In one of the Invasion videos on GameTrailers, there's Elite dialogue. After 2 Elites capture a territory, one of the Elites says "Onward to the human stronghold." It was NOT one of the players talking, but one of the Elite voices from the previous games.
Sounds like it's coming from the awaiting ships, reminding you what to do. Very awesome.

GhaleonEB said:
I'd love it if the Spartan players heard the dialog in Elite-speak, but the Elite players got it in English.
I like the way you think.

Shake Appeal said:
There's a great moment in the Waypoint video (I think?) where the combination of camo and scrambled radar means the player can hide somewhere on Boneyard and the guy who was going to kill him wanders off.

I havent watched the video, but this is interesting. If my radar gets scrambled do I want to hunt down the camo guy who's obviously nearby or do I want to get the hell out of there?

These AA's are going to bring a whole range of interesting gameplay decisions to Reach, thats for sure.

S1kkZ

if someone from microsoft or bungie is reading this: please give blimblim/gamersyde early access to the beta. i want some awesome direct feed footage! all the footage so far looks like shit (compression, artifacts).

rac

Banned
Popeck said:
Luke's gameplay <3 It was pretty painful to watch the GiantBomb guys play since they clearly didn't know what they were doing. Can't wait get more playtime with Reach.

Yeah.
I love giantbomb but that was horrible. They were bringing flags to the other teams base.
I would have liked Luke's gameplay a lot more if he was actually playing against people who knew how to play halo.

But watching all that gameplay just confirms that it still plays like halo.
Looking forward to getting owned by Tashi in reach gaf customs this Fall.

broony

HBO links to a few sites giving f+F codes here but they only seem to be getting 20 or codes each to give away. I'm guessing F+ F is going to be much smaller than Halo 3. I remember some sites getting a hundred or so codes to give away for H3.

Good luck if you're entering.

Hostile Paradox

Neo Member
GhaleonEB said:
And so does everyone's around you, so they know someone is in the area with camo. Of all the armor abilities so far, that one has my favorite pro/con mix.

I would imagine cammo is probably not available as an AA in games where there is no radar. Otherwise it would just be absolute slaughter... or a seemingly empty map full of cloaked Spartans. :lol

FourDoor

Hostile Paradox said:
I would imagine cammo is probably not available as an AA in games where there is no radar. Otherwise it would just be absolute slaughter... or a seemingly empty map full of cloaked Spartans. :lol

Add 200% speed, lower the gravity, and give everyone plasma pistols and it sounds like the next evolution of the BUNGLE league. :lol

My god Giantbomb is horrible :lol

They have the guy who doesn't seem to know what he's talking about speaking the most. "BUT ARE YOU THE MASTER CHIEF??"

In stockpile they have a guy taking the flag to the opponent's area several times... I guess it never dawned on him, watching as the other team did nothing to stop him from doing it and left the flags there. Oh hey, notice those numbers? That's your score! :lol

I'm not a pro by any means but it was actually annoying to watch the video.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Thermite said:
Awesome, thanks for this. Watching now! :D

Edit: Just some random thoughts..

- The Emblem selection screen is sooo much better now and seems to be even more responsive than Halo 3's. Being able to cross your emblem with a background without having to select one or the other is so much better than Halo 3 and Halo 2. <3 whomever made that change
- Mark V armor variants. FUCK YEAH
- Powerhouse looks ridiculously good. I really, really want to make babies with that map. Lots and lots of babies.
- Being able to use camo, so your teammates can spawn on you is AWESOME.
- The Needler is actually more much effective than I thought it would be with the new shield/health system. Love it!
- The "ghost reticule" is....interesting. Visually showing bullet travel is a pretty cool concept.
- Jetpacking seems like something that would be fun for some social "party games", but in competitive games with reasonably skilled players, it just screams instant kill to me. I'm probably just going to stick with Armor Lock and Sprint, personally..

I agree with all of these. The Needler actually seems like a weapon that could work on Boneyard, despite its openness (is that a word? haha). The ghost reticule also seems like a good idea in order to help the player give them an idea of where the projectiles will travel. This means bullet travel and the "spread" for Covy weapons aren't random, but pre-determined.

All around great stuff. Need to play this NAO. :D

In one of the videos it looked like a guy whacked another guy in the back but didn't get an instant kill. I thought regular assassinations still were one hit, did they change it?

FourDoor

Not sure if this was posted or not already but from one of HBO's posts, it looks like we might be getting another live action Halo commercial: :D I loved the live action commercials for H3 and ODST so I have high hopes for this Reach commercial.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/xbox-uk/witness-the-birth-of-a-spartan/10150176170795307

Witness the Birth of a Spartan

Just 7 days to go until the launch of the Halo: Reach [PEGI 16] beta! And don’t forget - you’ll need a copy of Halo 3: ODST to access the beta.

In the meantime, brace yourself for a glimpse into one of the darkest secrets in the Halo universe with tomorrow’s premiere of ‘Birth of a Spartan.’ The sixty second advert will air for the first time at the end of the Champions' League semi-final between Lyon and Bayern Munich on Sky Sports 2.

Tune in to watch the transformation of Carter 259, the future leader of Noble Team, from an ordinary young man to a superhuman Spartan warrior...

Haven't got Sky Sports? Never fear - just check back here on Wednesday to watch the ad.
25638_380772331343_13905281343_4034517_3092224_n.jpg

Thermite

Domino Theory said:
I agree with all of these. The Needler actually seems like a weapon that could work on Boneyard, despite its openness (is that a word? haha). The ghost reticule also seems like a good idea in order to help the player give them an idea of where the projectiles will travel. This means bullet travel and the "spread" for Covy weapons aren't random, but pre-determined.

All around great stuff. Need to play this NAO. :D

Definitely. Luke was firing on a Spartan who was considerably far away from him on Boneyard and it still tracked onto the guy and killed him no problem. So badass! :p

derFeef

chess

bobs99 ... said:
I havent watched the video, but this is interesting. If my radar gets scrambled do I want to hunt down the camo guy who's obviously nearby or do I want to get the hell out of there?

These AA's are going to bring a whole range of interesting gameplay decisions to Reach, thats for sure.

sprint, shoot, sprint, shoot, sprint, shoot. That's all WE need to think about. :D

Kibbles

I had to do a system restore cause my shit computer was acting up.

Looks sooo good :D I love the waterfall on Overlook. Absolutely can't wait. Any Spartan Laser footage? I have a lot of catching up to do.

I'm facepalming at some of the stuff the GiantBomb crew is saying. I wish the gamesradar video wasn't so small res and blurry though.

S1kkZ

derFeef said:
That ODST commercial was all kind of awesome and judging from this pic this is getting a similar style.
yep. just make that halo movie already...
(or a high budget tv show, spartacus style)

Needle Rifle looks so good in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing (Luke). Can't wait to use that and the DMR... and the Pistol. This time next week...

Proven

taylor910 said:
I agree evade looks really good, but sprint does as well. Love the guy sprinting with the hammer!

Im not sure how I like the battle-bro thing though. A couple times I saw a one on one fight and then a friend spawns in. I have a feeling I will be frustrated by this in the near future...

Edit: Seems there is some type of "no spawning while in combat" contingency?

Basically the spawn rules are the same exact ones as campaign. I'm guessing that the reason Luke was able to camo and spawn his bro was because the camo allowed him to hide in plain sight and not be fired upon long enough while he was already far enough away from the guy shooting him.

AwesomeSyrup said:
In one of the videos it looked like a guy whacked another guy in the back but didn't get an instant kill. I thought regular assassinations still were one hit, did they change it?

Even in 3 when it looks like it should be an assassination it didn't always register. Regular quick assassinations are still in, I believe there's one in Luke's vid, and some of the others have smatterings of them where the player was just looking for a regular beatdown and therefore didn't hold it down.

neoism

Damn just watched Luke's rainin pain video again...:lol Best media vid ever... I hope Bungle releases more of him playin!

RdN

Mna, the GiantBomb video is terrible! They didn't know anything about the game.. not even the basics like there's no dual-wielding and all.. :lol

Top Bottom