• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Jex

Gowans007 said:
Guys which are the videos of the beta previews worth watching?

I'd like to know this as well, there seem to be lots and I don't have time to check them all out.

Most definitely my favorite part, aside from when the dude took a flag in Stockpile to the other team's base 3 times.

Hehe, yeah, not very clued up. I mean sure, you could claim the UI is kind of ambiguous but how did they fail to notice how their score wasn't going up, and that the other team's score was at a dramatic rate :lol

TommyT

Don't know if this has been brought up yet but...

If you listen to one of the joystiq vids when they're talking about equipment they mention that if you shoot the jetpack long enough it will blow up and leave you in a purple cloud of death or something to that effect. Later when they're showing the actual gameplay footage it is clear that the person with the jetpack (that they referenced being blown up with a purple cloud) is being shot with a needler, and that was what caused the explosion/purple cloud.

Anyone else notice this?

Sanic

I'm watching the Giantbomb playthrough now, and as someone who has purposly stayed (mostly) in the dark on a lot of the specifics on Reach, i'm rather impressed.

Oh, and GB seem pretty uninformed on a lot of things, guess i'll need to go do some reading after this.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Gowans007 said:
Guys which are the videos of the beta previews worth watching?
Waypoint has the best quality streams and one of the videos brings you up to date if you haven't been following everything Reach 24/7.

The Ginatbomb videos are good, apart from the daft commentary and lacklustre skills - they aren't very familiar with Halo seemingly and it sounds like they're reading from scribbled notes.

The Joystiq videos are also nice, they have some extensive look at the Armour and Emblem stuff in addition to regular gameplay and the like.

Teknoman said:
Finally another FPS does an Unreal Tournament style assault mode. Wonder why more FPS dont have an MP mode where the map constantly evolves based on objectives.

Look no further than Return to Castle Wolfenstein and it's free spin off Enemy Territory for objective based perfection. Unfortunately both games are all but dead unless you live in Europe.

That said it's certainly nice to see Halo having a go at the gametype, sounds like it could be fun.

Sanic

SenorDingDong said:
Look no further than Return to Castle Wolfenstein and it's free spin off Enemy Territory for objective based perfection. Unfortunately both games are all but dead unless you live in Europe.

That said it's certainly nice to see Halo having a go at the gametype, sounds like it could be fun.

<3

VaLiancY

The video with Luke Smith narrating is my favorite. You can see really good usage of armor abilities. And that Focus Rifle is beautiful.

S1kkZ

VaLiancY said:
The video with Luke Smith narrating is my favorite. You can see really good usage of armor abilities. And that Focus Rifle is beautiful.
which video do you mean? the bungie vidoc from last week?

Wow, I am having trouble catching up with all of this footage. The Giant Bomb footage was a fun watch, good at the game or not. I really love that first person warthog view.. Tell me thats in the game.

I can't wait for the live action short.. It sounds like a really awesome way to market the game. So, if they play that before Iron Man 2 does that mean we can Iron Man inspired armor? :lol

So, what videos out there are the must sees?

Lol at the assassination at the end of the IGN Jetpack vid. Its bizarre, he spikes him. :lol

Oh man does this game look so good. The visuals are awesome.

Jex

While I appreciate that Waypoint auto-detects that my connection isn't great in the evening, I would still like the option to select a high quality and leave it to buffer, even if it would take ages.

GhaleonEB said:
Here's the roundup I've got in the OP. I'll probably cap it there as I'm trying to be representative rather then comprehensive due to space reasons. Trash talk is so casually woven into Luke's commentary. So good. :lol

Video | Giant Bomb (35 minutes) | Joystiq | IGN | New footage is on Waypoint | GameTrailers | Game Radar, commentary by Luke Smith (if you only watch one, watch this one)

If there's another standout video I'll update.
Excellent work. You just filled out my lunch break for today :)

Jexhius said:
While I appreciate that Waypoint auto-detects that my connection isn't great in the evening, I would still like the option to select a high quality and leave it to buffer, even if it would take ages.

This is my main problem with Waypoint being all streaming. My net isn't good enough for high quality streaming so I end up with blocky crap.

Blueblur1

Can anyone upload these (well, except the GB one) to Youtube? I'm stuck using my iPhone and I won't be able to watch these on a computer for another 7 hours. :(

Zezboob

I liked pretty much all I have seen in video except Headhunter mode. It looks like a clumsy and annoying FFA slayer which requires some luck.

And too bad there is no great symmetrical map like The Pit or something in this vibe.

But beside those points, I can't wait.

2 things from the gameplay vid that I picked out initially that I wanted to share:

1. Fall damage appears to affect shields at even ~30 feet.

2. The needle rifle is a "more elegant weapon from a more civilized age". :lol Either its a Star Wars reference or just really cool thing that has significance canonically. (hoping for both)

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Major Williams said:
2. The needle rifle is a "more elegant weapon from a more civilized age". :lol Either its a Star Wars reference or just really cool thing that has significance canonically. (hoping for both)

obi-wan_kenobi.jpg

FourDoor

Video bomb of footage is making it hard to do actual work today!!! :lol

Slightly off topic but is anyone here using the TurtleBeach X41 headphones with Halo 3 at the moment? How well does it handle the surround effects from the game? Right now I rely a lot on hearing grenades and gunfire from my surround sound speakers to know when to jump away in the game.

feel

I'm really excited for that live action Carter short coming up.

About the new videos, only watched like half of the giantbomb one (their newbness didn't bother me), and was done with videos for now, it all seems perfect, don't want to see everything before playing it, roll on the beta.

Falagard

The GamesRadar vid with Luke has the first video I've seen with vehicle hijacking - the wraith gets hijacked around 8:09 by a Spartan player, and then reverse hijacked by the Ellte.

Also, that's the best video released today by far.

Top Bottom