• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

i still hate the fact that this game has health, not sure why they're including it to be honest.

"that was my health pack rrraaaarrr *betrayal*"

Cuban Legend said:
hrxb1u.png

AWESOME.
I like the toilet looking emblem :lol

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
minasodaboy said:
holy crap, chris grant!
love the podcast

waypoint's vids always look great for me at home. i wonder why there's huge discrepancy? also, shouldn't the waypoint videos look the best at the WAYPOINT offices?? someone needs to get on that.
It's determined by connection. When it looks great, it looks really great, but if it determines that you have a crappy connection, then it gives you a low-quality stream.

S1kkZ

AwesomeSyrup said:
The video with Luke Smith's commentary was hilarious. Luke needs to do commentary in all the Halo vids from now on. :lol
halo reach audio commentary as dlc (like alan wake) would be awesome!
just make a podcast were some bungie members play through the levels and say stuff about it. you can listen to it with custom soundtracks while playing the game.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
watching giant bomb stock pile

once again fail with ui consistency, bungie. even they were confused because the UI shows the player their zones with blue when they're on a red team. MAKE IT CONSISTENT. LIKE HALO 2.

Cocopjojo said:
It's determined by connection. When it looks great, it looks really great, but if it determines that you have a crappy connection, then it gives you a low-quality stream.
I think it's mainly the upscaling to 720p that makes the sub-HD quality obvious. My Waypoint stream is probably comparable to the Joystiq/GB videos, but scaled up to HD rather than showing in a (relatively) small window.

Let us download it!

JaggedSac

Gui_PT said:
I thought about that, and you're right. But it'll also cause me to die many times because I'm being shot at, and because of that, being too clumsy to be able to look at the medpack and pressing a button before dying

I think that is the point. It makes running for a health pack during a fight a little more perilous.

Also, have any pixel counters gotten a hold of this? And team headhunter looks fun as hell.

DopeyFish said:
watching giant bomb stock pile

once again fail with ui consistency, bungie. even they were confused because the UI shows the player their zones with blue when they're on a red team. MAKE IT CONSISTENT. LIKE HALO 2.
What? My understanding is that the colour of your stockpile zone is the same as your team, and Giant Bomb were just consistently heading to the wrong one.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Azar said:
I'm sure all these videos would choke on my netbook, so I have to wait till I get home to watch them. And waiting is not fun.

It's probably worth pointing out that our streaming tech currently only checks your bandwidth at the beginning of the video. If the footage looks less than ZOMG, it sometimes helps to back out and restart the clip.

Teknoman

Finally another FPS does an Unreal Tournament style assault mode. Wonder why more FPS dont have an MP mode where the map constantly evolves based on objectives.

The way you take out the plasma sword is very cool looking.

Edit: The Giantbomb dudes are kinda - How can I say this nicely? - not that helpful. :lol

Gui_PT

JaggedSac said:
I think that is the point. It makes running for a health pack during a fight a little more perilous.

Also, have any pixel counters gotten a hold of this? And team headhunter looks fun as hell.

If by perilous you mean annoying or irritating, yes

Doodis

The thing I'm noticing most in this new footage is how butch all the weapons sound. They did a really nice job beefing everything up.

Lunchbox

Banned
armor looks like the most bullshit, over powered, annoying piece of shit thats gonna ruin the game

i didnt know your shields came back, but jotstiq just showed how a full meter of armor lock gives you enough time to get full shields back and it also lowers other peoples shields when they get near it........wow

Lunchbox said:
armor looks like the most bullshit, over powered, annoying piece of shit thats gonna ruin the game

i didnt know your shields came back, but jotstiq just showed how a full meter of armor lock gives you enough time to get full heatlth back and it also lowers other peoples shields when get near it........wow
I was always thinking it used up your armour so the shield was like a last resort to block a rocket or something, but yeah using it fully to charge up your shield seems a bit OP, we will have to see in the beta ourselves.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Shake Appeal said:
What? My understanding is that the colour of your stockpile zone is the same as your team, and Giant Bomb were just consistently heading to the wrong one.

the shield/marker around the blue teams drop point were blue but the UI is what is wrong, it was red. (so they kept thinking it was their zone because of the red UI marker) when you have 3 different elements (team colour, zone colour, ui colour) doing different things, it's completely unnatural.

Bungie for halo 3 and (from it looks like) reach think about keeping the UI down to 2 colours, Red for being enemy and blue being friendly. there are teams that have the colours of red and blue - and they're the primaries. so ultimately having the UI using those colours is completely confusing... hence one of the long list of reasons that Halo 3 objection completely failed.

in Halo 2, UI was your team colour, even if up to 8 teams it remained consistent. seriously i don't want to have to go through an entire halo beta again bitching about this to not see it fixed. me? I'm not confused about it but it's a travesty of UI design and very damn confusing to rather new players.

Pre-Beta "Don't Tell Sage" Threat Top Five:

5. Evade
4. Focus Rifle
3. Plasma Launcher
2. Armour Lock
1. Spartan Laser

(To be updated when I've had hands-on time.)

Lunchbox said:

i didnt know your shields came back, but jotstiq just showed how a full meter of armor lock gives you enough time to get full shields back and it also lowers other peoples shields when they get near it........wow

Its not that different from the bubble shield really, that thing gave the user enough time to get theyre shields back. Using armour lock seems to be like putting a bit sign above your head for everyone with a sniper or rocket launcher to kill you as soon as you unlock.

The first day of the beta is going to be weird I predict a lot of people jumping by accident when they wanna swap nades and stuff :lol

chess

Shake Appeal said:
Pre-Beta "Don't Tell Sage" Threat Top Five:

5. Evade
4. Focus Rifle
3. Plasma Launcher
2. Armour Lock
1. Spartan Laser

(To be updated when I've had hands-on time.)

Needle rifle looks a little too good as well. 3 needles and boom? Don't nerf it Sage! (memories of H3 beta carbine)

Edit:
Dax01 said:
Only after the shields are down.

Cool, I should pay more attention cause I like what I see. :D

If one played manages to deposit 10 skulls all at once in Headhunter, that's an automatic win. Didn't know that.

chess said:
Needle rifle looks a little too good as well. 3 needles and boom? Don't nerf it Sage! (memories of H3 beta carbine)
Only after the shields are down.

Lunchbox

Banned
bobs99 ... said:
Its not that different from the bubble shield really, that thing gave the user enough time to get theyre shields back.

what? nooooo

you can hurt someone by forcing them out/going in. they are not invincible in the bubble. and once they use it, its done until it spawns back

the guy in the joystiq vid, was getting shot, hit armor lock got his shields back killed the dude that was about to kill him. hit armor again to get shields back and went off to kill another guy......its like instant shields in your pocket

if that happens to me, im hitting the quit button

GhaleonEB

bobs99 ... said:
Its not that different from the bubble shield really, that thing gave the user enough time to get theyre shields back. Using armour lock seems to be like putting a bit sign above your head for everyone with a sniper or rocket launcher to kill you as soon as you unlock.
It does seem crazy powerful, but it also announces to all the world where you are and that you're stationary. A well timed grenade will have people making sad faces coming out of armor lock.

I'm really digging how the sound get muted when you go into camo. It's like slipping on The One Ring and waching events from some kind of netherworld.

GhaleonEB said:
It does seem crazy powerful, but it also announces to all the world where you are and that you're stationary. A well timed grenade will have people making sad faces coming out of armor lock.
I can't wait to do this to someone with the grenade launcher. Just cook that baby right in front of their eyes. They know it, I know it. Big smiles.

GhaleonEB said:
I'm really digging how the sound get muted when you go into camo. It's like slipping on The One Ring and waching events from some kind of netherworld.
YOU CANNOT HIDE

bobs99 ... said:
The first day of the beta is going to be weird I predict a lot of people jumping by accident when they wanna swap nades and stuff :lol
My biggest grievance with the game right now is that there is no button layout that puts Jump on LB and Armour Ability on RB.

That's seriously my biggest complaint.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
les papillons sexuels said:
wow... that comment section on gametrailers is just brutal.

Pretty much any video, news piece, or really just anything I see on the internet that has a comment section I have trained myself not to read any of them because really they are just very annoying and full of a lot of ignorant people. :lol

Lunchbox said:
what? nooooo

you can hurt someone by forcing them out/going in. they are not invincible in the bubble. and once they use it, its done until it spawns back

the guy in the joystiq vid, was getting shot, hit armor lock got his shields back killed the dude that was about to kill him. hit armor again to get shields back and went off to kill another guy......its like instant shields in your pocket

In use it has about as many drawbacks as the bubble shield even if it doesnt play the same. A bubble shield guy isnt invincible in the bubble, but with smart movement can certainly use it to evade/ kill any enemies. I do think the bubble shield lead to better play and personally think I would prefer it if armour lock didnt exist but a bubble shield dropped in place where you activate it. That would be a nice way of integrating Equipment back in, but I doubt Bungie wants to do this from a design viewpoint.

If anything I think the timers should be toned down on AA's, especially Armour lock this, would be good counter scenarios like that.

Shake Appeal said:
My biggest grievance with the game right now is that there is no button layout that puts Jump on LB and Armour Ability on RB.

That's seriously my biggest complaint.

Agreed!

Not a Jellyfish said:
Pretty much any video, news piece, or really just anything I see on the internet that has a comment section I have trained myself not to read any of them because really they are just very annoying and full of a lot of ignorant people. :lol

Yeah, but even N4G has a shred of decency at times...

loving the look of the game, it looks spectacular. SSAO and motion blur is really paying off. I can't wait to see what the campaign will look like, with a ton of enemies and vehicles flying around in the map.

on the whole armour lock thing, I think it's a pretty fair game, you're a sitting target, so as long as you wait it out you can pretty much ensure a kill as the player exits out of the lock. The wraith does it properly, in the armour ability HD gameplay movie on gt.

GhaleonEB

Dani said:
I've already a dozen ideas about fun Loadouts/gametypes for Customs. =\
I just hope I can create my dream gametype of three-bomb neutral assault.

Photolysis said:
I have to admit, Luke's commentary in that one video was awesome.
Which one? I'm at work so I'm having to be selective about which ones I see.

Schmitty

Shake Appeal said:
Giant Bomb on the Needle Rifle: "The usefulness of this one seems limited unless you're good enough to get enough hits..."

Very astute!
Most definitely my favorite part, aside from when the dude took a flag in Stockpile to the other team's base 3 times. :lol

Top Bottom