• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Whoa @ all the vids.

Gonna have to get caught up....again.

edit: really liked the evade on Luke's elite video, not to mention Luke trashtalking. :lol

squidhands said:
I am in love with that new radar. I was almost shouting at my screen, "He's upstairs!!"

I'm actually not sure if I'll like people knowing what level I'm on so easily. In the previous halos, you had to figure out where they were based on the patterns of their radar movements.

Definity

From just watching some of the vids I can tell the in-game sounds are amped up this time around. Sounds so good, especially when a grenade/explosion is close to you and the sound starts getting muffled out.

SpudBud

Metroidvania said:
Whoa @ all the vids.

Gonna have to get caught up....again.

edit: really liked the evade on Luke's elite video, not to mention Luke trashtalking. :lol
Are you new? My name is Spud, what's yours?

:D

Wow. Thanks Son of Godzilla for the upload.

The luke vid and the full invasion gamplay have me so hyped. The sound is amazing; when that spartan is defending the core its so awesome. And man luke is a way better than watching those journalists play.

edit: I like the end where the music plays and the commentator (?) says something.

Trasher

Is it really necessary to spam this thread by saying you sent a friend request? I think he will figure it out when he logs on... This thread already moves too fast as it is people.

neoism said:
Man, definitely loving the Plasma Rifle... it finally looks, usable, the reload animation is great too! 7 days.... :(
That's not the Plasma Rifle! Get it right. :)

With that vid, I found myself trying to tell the guy where to go and what to do. For example when he had the rocket, he just fired at the ghost instead of locking on.

I do have one complaint though, I think Eazy stated it earlier, but there seems to be way too many anti-vehicle weapons now, it really seems like the vehicles won't last long at all, which is kinda dissapointing. I don't use them too often but I have friends who's specialty is driving, so I can see them being upset.

neoism

CrazedArabMan said:
This is what I like, just straight up games, no cutting between different clips. :D
Yep I really hate those overly edit videos that don't show shit. Other than Luke vid, which was just hilarious, vids like this are were its at!

Nutter

So much Goodness. Luke showing the world how Halo should be played made my day though. Can not wait, DMR + Needle Rifle + Pistol = Halo in its pure form. :D

CrazedArabMan said:
With that vid, I found myself trying to tell the guy where to go and what to do. For example when he had the rocket, he just fired at the ghost instead of locking on.

I do have one complaint though, I think Eazy stated it earlier, but there seems to be way too many anti-vehicle weapons now, it really seems like the vehicles won't last long at all, which is kinda dissapointing. I don't use them too often but I have friends who's specialty is driving, so I can see them being upset.
The wraith can lock itself down into a turtle shell and take whatever is thrown at it for a few seconds as was seen in one of the videos today. The warthog can take a fair bit of abuse too. Fret not.

Trasher said:
How come we have yet to see the Sniper Rifle during any of these Invasion videos?

I saw someone with it, but they haven't shown much first person gameplay with it, I did see where I think it spawns on Sword Base though.

Trasher

Gui_PT said:
Was there not a clip or 2 of someone with a sniper on the latest vidoc?
Yeah there is. I was just curious as to why none of the videos today that were released had it in there. Maybe people just didn't figure out where it spawned...

Hydranockz said:
The wraith can lock itself down into a turtle shell and take whatever is thrown at it for a few seconds as was seen in one of the videos today. The warthog can take a fair bit of abuse too. Fret not.

To me it seemed like the Wraith had just 'overheated' and couldnt fire for a short while? Wraiths that can Armour lock would be a bit overpowered :lol

neoism

Trasher said:
Is it really necessary to spam this thread by saying you sent a friend request? I think he will figure it out when he logs on... This thread already moves too fast as it is people.

That's not the Plasma Rifle! Get it right. :)
:lol wow Plasma repeater... just found out!

bobs99 ... said:
To me it seemed like the Wraith had just 'overheated' and couldnt fire for a short while? Wraiths that can Armour lock would be a bit overpowered :lol
It tucked it's cannon inside and deactivated i's grav engine thingy. I don't think it was over heating. Kinda seems sucky if it is so prone to all them heavy weapons and had to cool down periodically.

Havok said:
Bet you're sorry you made fun of Brad's voice now, eh? (edit: Just caught up on the last page, didn't realize the GB video comments had turned into full-on douchery. Way to represent, HaloGAF.)

:lol All I'm saying is that that guys voice is not suited for narrating anything. I guess maybe like a calm, outdoors commercial or something?

I'm worried about Armor Lock too. Seems way too much like a win-button kamikaze thing.

Trasher

neoism said:
:lol wow Plasma repeater... just found out!
Apparently the Plasma Rifle will still be in campaign though. Doesn't seem to make much sense to me because the Plasma Repeater seems to perform just as I would expect a Plasma Rifle to. :lol

vhfive

Just saw Luke destroying in invasion slayer. It was nice to see someone actually good playing, all the videos of press playing makes me cringe.
lets all ar each other and never use the pistol :(

CrazedArabMan said:

This is true, but I thought vehicles were too hard to destroy in halo 3. I noticed in one of the beta videos that 3-4 grenades hit a warthog pretty spot-on and it didn't blow up. So it'll likely take a few shots from the nade launcher, probably 2-3 plasmas from the covenant plasma nade launcher. The rocket launcher doubles as the halo 3's missle pod launcher and its only 2 shot at a time. I trust Bungie, they know whats up:D

Oh and just on the topic of the Rocket launcher having the lock on ability...I think its actually good. You can still evade, armor lock and possibly sprint against it; just takes skill to do. The more possibilities, the better!

rac

Banned
vhfive said:
Just saw Luke destroying in invasion slayer. It was nice to see someone actually good playing, all the videos of press playing makes me cringe.
lets all ar each other and never use the pistol :(
Not everyone is sponsored by turtle beach like you.

Havok

FunkyMunkey said:
:lol All I'm saying is that that guys voice is not suited for narrating anything. I guess maybe like a calm, outdoors commercial or something?

I'm worried about Armor Lock too. Seems way too much like a win-button kamikaze thing.
Nah, I totally understand, it's a little different if you aren't used to watching their quick looks and stuff. I think its important to keep in mind that these guys also aren't the ridiculous hardcore crowd like everybody in this thread (hell, I cringed just as badly as I ever have watching the spraying), and so its only natural that some of the details get missed when so much information is thrown at them at a press event.

Blueblur1

The best videos I've seen today are the Reach Beta Primer from Waypoint and the GamesRadar Luke video. I just caught up on almost everything. I'm so happy I finished my classes this semester already. :)

Havok said:
Nah, I totally understand, it's a little different if you aren't used to watching their quick looks and stuff. I think its important to keep in mind that these guys also aren't the ridiculous hardcore crowd like everybody in this thread (hell, I cringed just as badly as I ever have watching the spraying), and so its only natural that some of the details get missed when so much information is thrown at them at a press event.

Well put. I guess I just didn't like how it seemed not knowing anything about the game and not seeming to care, were part of their whole shtick. Seems uninspired and insulting to this game's community.

I still need to check out waypoint!

Trasher

Blueblur1 said:
The best videos I've seen today are the Reach Beta Primer from Waypoint and the GamesRadar Luke video. I just caught up on almost everything. I'm so happy I finished my classes this semester already. :)
I envy you. This last week of school is gonna be ROUGH times.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Blueblur1 said:

Could you link this Waypoint one, please?

With so many vehicle counters, beefing vehicles makes sense. I worry that the standard toolset will be rendered impotent against them though. I'd like vehicles to be a challenge, not "ohh shit a hog, I better change my kit since I can't get laser/rocks/plasma cannon."

KevinRo

The Pistol smack flip brought back memories ::tear::

Also, Luke talking smack to people playing Halo was quite entertaining.

Oh and added HaloGAFBeta. GT- KevinRo

Top Bottom