• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Trasher said:
I never saw it kill someone before it overheated. Seemed like it would take the player's shields down, overheat, and then a teammate would finish them off.

Think you need to watch the videos I did.

I only saw the gun in 2 videos and in BOTH videos, the user of the rifle took out an opponent within a couple of seconds or so of pulling the trigger.

Dying to know which videos you saw it being used in.

From IGN:

Focus Rifle

Just look at that gun for a second. If that doesn't look like a dangerous-ass alien weapon to you, then you are going to be useless in an alien invasion. To me, this is one of the coolest looking guns Bungie has ever designed. It looks like a crocodile snout crossed with one of those Dyson vacuum cleaners. Scary stuff, that. But it's not all looks. This thing backs up its evil exterior with some mean machinery.

You know those Forerunner Sentinel lasers from past Halo games? Well, the Focus Beam crosses one of those with the Covenant Beam Rifle favored by Jackal snipers. So it has the accuracy of a sniper rifle, the searing power of a continuous laser beam and, as an added bonus, a bit of a stun effect when it hits. It's truly terrifying to see this beast burning across the map. Great for picking Jet Packers out of the air, though. Flyboys, you have been warned.

The bolded description alone should tell you how overpowered this thing is clearly going to be.

But hey, they nerfed the Carbine in Halo 3 Retail so I'd say this thing will be neutered too. Because right now, it's basically a portable death star without the charge up time.

Think Spartan Laser, except you don't have to recharge, and it's not single burst, you can just paint for a few seconds, and it's only slightly less powerful under the circumstances.

Yeah, portable Death Star.

Trasher

GhaleonEB said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=20969117&postcount=3473

Last 10 seconds of the video shows the Wraith occupied in two different situations, and it closes up to deflect incoming fire.
Looks to me like it is just being hit with grenades and EMP causing it to deactivate which makes the turret retract.

2 Minutes Turkish said:

I only saw the gun in 2 videos and in BOTH videos, the user of the rifle took out an opponent within a couple of seconds or so of pulling the trigger.

I just watched the video where it shows it kill someone in one stream, but if you notice it is at max overheat pretty much as soon as it kills the person. Will be quite easy to dodge it for just long enough to live by using sporadic movements or certain armor abilities. Watch it when Luke uses it in his video.

GhaleonEB

Looks like you may be right - I went back and watch a few other videos, and the EMP shuts down the Wraith completely, mortar and all. So tag a Wraith with an EMP, and it can't even shoot while immobilized. Wow. And here I thought they'd improved it. :lol

I thought being able to turtle up would be good for it, since it's got homing rockets, the Plasma launcher (also homing), the Laser and the new EMP blast from the Grenade Launcher to deal with.

DualX said:
lol.

Earlier..

A response to my post even though I didn't specifically say the phrase "situational music" this is exactly what I was referring to.
And I was specifically referring to NON situational, constant music - which is why I referred to "soundtrack". So we agreed, without knowing it. Sorry to make you dig up that post for nothing. :(

Reading through one of the IGN previews (probably my first mistake) and they say a couple of things I thought urk had already confirmed:

1) No skyboxes? What the fuck? Do they even know what they're talking about?

How pretty is reach? Really pretty, or prettier than anything on 360 thus far?

It's a great looking game. Bungie is maxing out what it can do on the 360. No more skyboxes; environments rock.

2) No system link? Could have sworn urk said it was in

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Yea but the focus rifle will only kill when someone out in the open for a prolonged amount of time. If you're out in the traveling in the open across a map or flying around in the air, then you should be killed by this power weapon. If you're just peeking around and have your head exposed then you won't need to worry about the gun.

Trasher

GhaleonEB said:
Looks like you may be right - I went back and watch a few other videos, and the EMP shuts down the Wraith completely, mortar and all. So tag a Wraith with an EMP, and it can't even shoot while immobilized. Wow. And here I thought they'd improved it. :lol
Sorry to crush any dreams you had of turtling with a Wraith. :lol

Tashi0106 said:
Yea but the focus rifle will only kill when someone out in the open for a prolonged amount of time. If you're out in the traveling in the open across a map or flying around in the air, then you should be killed by this power weapon. If you're just peeking around and have your head exposed then you won't need to worry about the gun.
Exactly. I mean yes it will be very effective if you have a wide open area with good lines of sight, but if any clutter or objects are in the way then it will be very difficult to get a clean kill. And usually it is not a good move in Halo to run out in the wide open without any cover in close proximity. Any weapon will pretty much destroy you at that point (ie sniper, needler, DMR, needle rifle).

According to Turkish then the Sniper Rifle is even more overpowered than the Focus Rifle if you go by his logic. =/

Ten-Song

ZayneH said:
*jetpacks up to highest point on map*
"I CAN SEE MY HOUSE FROM UP HERE."

No, you've got it all wrong, you'd jet pack up to the highest point, land on the ground again, be walking along the ground for another twenty second afterward, THEN he'd say something like "IMPRESSIVE ASCENT, AGENT!"

But that won't happen because that isn't the dude's voice anyways, it's Colonel Campbell

-PXG-

God damn this is bringing back memories of the Halo 3 beta. Can't wait for this. :D

EliteGAF assemble. Fuck those sprintin', sissy ass Spartans. Pffft

Trasher

-PXG- said:
God damn this is bringing back memories of the Halo 3 beta. Can't wait for this. :D

EliteGAF assemble. Fuck those sprintin', sissy ass Spartans. Pffft
That sucks for you bro. Guess we will only get to see you starting on May 7th.

-PXG-

Trasher said:
That sucks for you bro. Guess we will only get to see you starting on May 7th.

:lol

I don't know why, but I always like playing as the non-human characters in every MP game. But if I must play as a Spartan, than I suppose I will ;)

GhaleonEB

Trasher said:
What's so good? It's not in a turtle mode!
I even edited the post! I didn't try to spread incorrect but otherwise awesome information!
Trasher said:
Haha, well I'm not exactly sure, but going by the beta schedule it says that Invasion starts on May 7th, and Generator Defense starts on the 14th, and these are the only two gametypes I'm aware of that include the Elites.
Slayer Covies says 'hi'. Though we don't know when/where it will show up.

Trasher

-PXG- said:

I don't know why, but I always like playing as the non-human characters in every MP game. But if I must play as a Spartan, than I suppose I will ;)
Haha, well I'm not exactly sure, but going by the beta schedule it says that Invasion starts on May 7th, and Generator Defense starts on the 14th, and these are the only two gametypes I'm aware of that include the Elites.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I also feel like the Focus Rifle is a weapon to mow down noobs. We'll see how it's used at high level play.

Ten-Song

Trasher said:

Which blows, because Invasion is what I really want to sink my teeth into. Don't get what they're going for by locking out the different game types...

Trasher

Tashi0106 said:
I also feel like the Focus Rifle is a weapon to mow down noobs. We'll see how it's used at high level play.
Pssh, you haven't even seen it in action yet. What do YOU know?! ;)

Ten-Song said:
Which blows, because Invasion is what I really want to sink my teeth into. Don't get what they're going for by locking out the different game types...
You state the exact reason for this in your post: People would only play Invasion. They want to make sure everything gets a good amount of playtime and testing. It's a BETA.

Trasher said:
Ain't there Covie Slayer?

wwm0nkey

Did anyone see the HaloGaf article on HBO? Nice job Wu :D but would have been better with this image.

ewww-1.jpg

ultron87

Too many videos! I need to be studying for exams and shit!

Added HALOGAFBETA. I look forward to playing with people that actually know what they are doing. And actually using my headset properly for the first time in months.

Though I guess I actually used my headset last night, because I had to tell an idiot in a Big Team Slayer game that he was not allowed to trash talk the rest of the team when he had 3 kills and I had 23. But that's a rare occurrence for me these days.

Schmitty

What page do I have to search for the quest about 15 year olds and mics? I've tried profanity, muting, etc. And thanks GB for not counting the 35 minute long video I watched inside that article. I didn't skip anything either.

Trasher

Tashi0106 said:
That's true. But the gun is pretty much a shitty sniper right?
Pretty much. Obviously you can kill someone quicker with the Sniper Rifle, but I would say that the Focus Rifle kills someone a little bit quicker than a DMR and especially if the person is a long distance away.

Grady Durden said:
Why isn't this vid still active? I saw the first but the second won't work.
Works for me. Weird. =/

ultron87

Schmitty said:
What page do I have to search for the quest about 15 year olds and mics? I've tried profanity, muting, etc. And thanks GB for not counting the 35 minute long video I watched inside that article. I didn't skip anything either.

Hint:
What rude multiplayer gesture was popularized in the original Halo? Also it's a thing people drink in England.

It's addictive, huh? One more week. One more week.

Edit: that was in reference to soldat7 saying he may stop watching the footage bc it's so good.

Oozer3993

2 Minutes Turkish said:

From IGN:

The bolded description alone should tell you how overpowered this thing is clearly going to be.

But hey, they nerfed the Carbine in Halo 3 Retail so I'd say this thing will be neutered too. Because right now, it's basically a portable death star without the charge up time.

Think Spartan Laser, except you don't have to recharge, and it's not single burst, you can just paint for a few seconds, and it's only slightly less powerful under the circumstances.

If two players each have a focus rifle, what happens when they cross the streams?

Grady Durden said:
Why isn't this vid still active? I saw the first but the second won't work.

Also, added the beta tag to my friends list. Can't wait to see you guys online!
It's not working? Huh. It took forever to encode or whatever the fuck youtube does to videos after uploading em.

Sai

Trasher said:
What's so good? It's not in a turtle mode!
Sorry, I skimmed past your post because you weren't important enough. ;P

Too bad, the tanks are super vulnerable to stuff like that. A temporary lockdown seemed like a nice way to balance things out.

-PXG-

Trasher said:

thatsracist.gif

:sadface ;__;

zumphry

Banned
Ten-Song said:
No, you've got it all wrong, you'd jet pack up to the highest point, land on the ground again, be walking along the ground for another twenty second afterward, THEN he'd say something like "IMPRESSIVE ASCENT, AGENT!"

But that won't happen because that isn't the dude's voice anyways, it's Colonel Campbell

How could I forget about that? That or falling off of the map.

Schmitty said:
Oh God, why didn't I think of that??! :lol

It was easy for me:
Most old people are crazy and hate change
Most teenagers are homophobic racist idiots

Thus, teabagging. :p

soldat7

Grady Durden said:

Edit: that was in reference to soldat7 saying he may stop watching the footage bc it's so good.

Yeah, I just can't do it anymore. Too awesome.

soldat7

Grady Durden said:

Note: These fail the friendly avatar size check:

SF1-1.jpg

c0c05828.jpg

Added HaloGAFBeta. GT: cherdman

2 Minutes Turkish said:

From IGN:

So what happens when you use... 1.. 2... 3... 4.. 5.. Yea, 5 out of the revealed 5 armor abilities? Well okay, I'll answer my own question: everyone escapes except for the jetpack because the jetpack blows ass. Every video that has made it pretty clear that the thing goes totally tits up when you have to adjust mid-fire and that although it can kill in a single burst, it will overheat almost immediately afterwards.

Mo0

soldat7 said:

Note: These fail the friendly avatar size check:

SF1-1.jpg

c0c05828.jpg

Added HaloGAFBeta. GT: cherdman

My bad. It looks like it's resizing it on my end, so it didn't look too big. Fixing it. :)

Odrion

Banned
2 Minutes Turkish said:

From IGN:

Everytime I seen someone use the focus rifle it takes almost or all of the gun's clip to kill someone.

Top Bottom