• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

neoism

Sai-kun said:
Who the fuck was that random kid that joined? :lol

i'll be your battle bro bro <3
some hacker:lol :lol After you were booted, he threatened us all.. said he copyed all of our IPs:lol :lol
Laszlo was playin it cool, mentioned he should watch the movie Hacker !:lol
Fun games though!!
Here is his tag Tv YoShI wink wink urk

Lazslo

Sai-kun said:
Who the fuck was that random kid that joined?
That was some crazy haxor, none of us were friends with him. He booted you or something without being leader. Sorry mang, we booted him right after.

vhfive said:
Fun customs tonight, still not quite sure how it happened though. One sec its 1v1 against Laszlo on Blackout the next its 7v7 on Valhalla with me not knowing half of the people playing :lol . Still was lots of fun.

Laszlo get the cock out of your mouth
Butthurt about this? Believe.

Sean P.

neoism said:
some hacker:lol :lol After you were booted, he threatened us all.. said he copyed all of our IPs:lol :lol
Fun games though!!

LOL YOSHI.

That kid is related to AK47. I'd play it cool with making fun of him.

Last time I made fun of one of AK's friends I lost my account for six months

While all of the videos that were released today have been pretty cool, my level of excitement hadn't really gone up. That's only because I've been watching people play that didn't know what they were doing (media monkeys!!!) and it gave a false impression that the beta gameplay is not so great. But I just watched the video posted by Cocopjojo and consider me amped to play the beta!

The feel and flow of invasion looks very well done. Plugging people with the DMR from distance is gonna feel very satisfying audio-visually, and I can't wait to get my hands on the pistol. I've already filled up a couple buckets with drool, and I'm gonna need a 4th bucket very soon. I'm also realizing just how much I appreciate the new look of elites. I may be in the minority, but I always thought that the elites in Halo3 looked retarded.

Generally, anytime I play against an elite in MP on Halo3, one of my goals is to make whoever it is wish they weren't an elite anymore. Of course that doesn't always work.

neoism

GhaleonEB said:
Just so he's not sad and confused come next week:
needlerifle.png

The Needle Rifle is the Covenant’s answer to the DMR. You’ll want to use it at mid to long range and begin by aiming for the body until you see the shields pop. Just like the Needler, it takes six rounds to tear through a Spartan’s shielding and seven to eat through an Elite’s.

Unlike the DMR, you can hold the trigger down if you choose, though you’ll suffer significant bloom with each new shot fired and your ammunition will actually super-combine if you stick just three needles into an unshielded opponent. None of your shots will track, however.

If you go for the brainpan, you won’t need to worry about counting if you’ve already removed the shields from the equation. One needle to the dome will get the job done (and make your foe look like a pretty, pretty unicorn if you pop ‘em right between the eyes).​
http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=BWU_040910
o damn I thought it was 3, other than the pistol, it's still my favorite gun from the vids. Not to sure about the DMR, it just looks to slow!

Daigoro

i just sent a request off to the HALOGAFBETA tag and ordered myself a copy of ODST.

getting pretty excited here. only ever played ODST for about 15 minutes at a friends house before. so, looking forward to that.

really looking forward to the beta as well. should be fun.

its been awhile HALO universe. looking forward to getting back.

neoism

Sean P. said:
LOL YOSHI.

That kid is related to AK47. I'd play it cool with making fun of him.

Last time I made fun of one of AK's friends I lost my account for six months
my tag is safe.. ;)

Daigoro said:
i just sent a request off to the HALOGAFBETA tag and ordered myself a copy of ODST.

getting pretty excited here. only ever played ODST for about 15 minutes at a friends house before. so, looking forward to that.

really looking forward to the beta as well. should be fun.

its been awhile HALO universe. looking forward to getting back.
Welcome home!

Lazslo

neoism said:
Fun games though!!
I really hope that guy doesn't dong on me haxor style, I'm kinda internet spooked.

Sai-kun

Banned
neoism said:
Fun games though!!

I actually wasn't booted, the internet in our dorm was reset and I took it as a sign that I should probably go do homework. :lol :lol What a nub.

GhaleonEB

neoism said:
o damn I thought it was 3, other than the pistol, it's still my favorite gun from the vids. Not to sure about the DMR, it just looks to slow!
The DMR can fire pretty quick, you just need to space the shots for its maximum range.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUv98eWVnL0#t=1m18s

He gets of four shots in about one and a half seconds. Over long range ("cross mapping"), you need to be more methodical.

Edit: hadn't noticed this before. Apologies if old. Ammo rack, complete with waypoint indicator when you're near it:

2h8cy1x.jpg

Daigoro

ah WTF. i signed in to Bungie.net for the first time in quite a while and it has no record of me playing Halo 3?

what is this shit?

any ideas?

edit: hmmm under "Bungie Cards" i see a background with a photo i took from a Halo 3 film. so some info is still buried deep in there somewhere...

site is not co-operating though.

Dirtbag

The gun that surprised me the most is the Plasma Repeater. It actually looks like a lot of fun to shoot and sort of a skilled AR

Xamdou

Daigoro said:
ah WTF. i signed in to Bungie.net for the first time in quite a while and it has no record of me playing Halo 3?

what is this shit?

any ideas?

edit: hmmm under "Bungie Cards" i see a background with a photo i took from a Halo 3 film. so some info is still buried deep in there somewhere...

site is not co-operating though.

I signed in a couple of months ago as well, and my entire record for Halo 2 and 3 were practically erased.

I vowed never to play a Halo game again.

Nice to have an Invasion video to watch over breakfast, but the player was no genius. Game looks great, though. I need to stop checking this thread every five minutes in the expectation of something new.

Even if there often is something new.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
This is kind of out of no where but has Bungie officially said Reach will not use Natal in any way?

Lunchbox

Banned
Tashi0106 said:
This is kind of out of no where but has Bungie officially said Reach will not use Natal in any way?

- you throw grenades with a throwing motion with left hand
- melee with punch motion right hand
- crouch with a wink

snack said:
If you get stuck by a grenade can you use Armor Lock to avoid being killed?
I believe so, but since the plasma grenade timer is likely shorter than the time it takes to engage Armour Lock, you'd want to have been pressing the AA button even before the grenade(s) hit you.

Edit: it's more likely to be useful against the plasma launcher; you hit your AA as you hear the thing winding up, and then stay in it while the grenades find you and explode harmlessly.

Truant

Hmm, not as convinced about the image quality yet. The assets are definitely better than Halo 3, but it still doesn't look clean enough. Probably something they'll fix in the coming months, though.

feel

If the Halo 3 beta taught me anything, is not to expect IQ to improve between the beta and the final game.

About motion controls, I think Bungie saying it's not a Natal title only means you won't ever need Natal for anything in the game. But if they wanted, after launch in a title update they could easily tack on some completely optional stuff, like menu scrolling or some alternate forge/theater control options just for fun.

VV edited my post to say after launch, cause I don't want them to dedicate regular development time to it. And still, urk saying that only means everything will be able to be performed with a controller.

Truant said:
Hmm, not as convinced about the image quality yet. The assets are definitely better than Halo 3, but it still doesn't look clean enough. Probably something they'll fix in the coming months, though.
lol, some people come in saying how beautiful it looks, others that they're disappointed. who to believe? :lol

Letters said:
I think Bungie saying it's not a Natal title only means you won't ever need Natal for anything in the game. But if they want they could easily tack on some completely optional stuff, like menu scrolling or some alternate forge/theater control options just for fun.
urk said:
... is being developed expressly with the traditional Xbox 360 controller in mind.

Truant

InvincibleAgent said:
lol, some people come in saying how beautiful it looks, others that they're disappointed. who to believe? :lol

No, it looks good, but I was hoping for a cleaner image overall. Not a big deal, it's not nearly as bad as Halo 3. I was just hoping for a little more in that department. The effects, textures and geometry are all nice looking.

derFeef

dilatedmuscle said:
Assassination i had not seen at 2:17

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/beta-mp-halo-reach/64866

elite initiates assasination while having a sword euiped, drops spartan down and instead of stabbing him in the lower lumbar, stabs him in he head/neck area.
Nice, there was also one awesome assasination in one of the joystiq videos. Spartan starts to jetpack, other spartan behind him jumps up and kicks him down to the ground.

Truant said:
No, it looks good, but I was hoping for a cleaner image overall. Not a big deal, it's not nearly as bad as Halo 3. I was just hoping for a little more in that department. The effects, textures and geometry are all nice looking.
They've raised the general texture detail and the Polycount as well.

Oh and they raised the rendering resolution, what more can you reasonably ask for in the time they have to ship?

Cuban Legend said:
Oh and they raised the rendering resolution, what more can you reasonably ask for in the time they have to ship?

Nothing considering that Halo 3's fault were resolution (fixed), aliasing (seems fixed), geometry (fixed) and animations (omg fixed).

And for the campaign they're even doubling the AIs and the on-screen elements, and they're building wider spaces.

On top of this they've improved the lighting system and added some fancy effects (ssao, motion blur, etc.).

It isn't impressive, it's incredible.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Does anyone know about turning off some of the announcer's voice stuff. Things like "Revenge!" and "Close call!" seem like they'd get old fast. Maybe the "Charlie under attack!" things too.

Shake Appeal said:
Not "fixed", but you can't have everything.

There are some rough edges here and there, but they're not as visible as Halo 3's ones.

And I have yet to see the game for myself on a decent hdtv (my panny awaits in great anticipation) without all the compression artifacts and whatnot.

That said, I'm pretty impressed about how clean everything looks. Halo 3/ODST can be a real mess sometimes.

Knowing that MP does not have any sort of anti-aliasing, it's a really clean-looking game.

metareferential said:
On top of this they've improved the lighting system and added some fancy effects (ssao, motion blur, etc.).
May I see a source indicating they are implementing ssao?

Maybe you just confused well placed prebaked shadows for ssao? Not to undermine the game engine and it's capabilities... I just haven't read ssao being referenced regarding Reach.

NameGenerated said:
Does anyone know about turning off some of the announcer's voice stuff. Things like "Revenge!" and "Close call!" seem like they'd get old fast. Maybe the "Charlie under attack!" things too.
FLAG TAKEN! FLAG DROPPED. FLAG TAKEN! FLAG DROPPED. FLAG TAKEN! FLAG DROPPED. FLAG TAKEN! FLAG DROPPED. FLAG TAKEN! FLAG DROPPED. FLAG TAKEN! FLAG DROPPED. FLAG TAKEN! FLAG DROPPED. FLAG TAKEN! FLAG DROPPED. FLAG TAKEN! FLAG DROPPED. FLAG TAKEN! FLAG DROPPED. FLAG TAKEN! FLAG DROPPED. FLAG TAKEN! FLAG DROPPED. FLAG TAKEN! FLAG DROPPED. FLAG TAKEN! FLAG DROPPED. FLAG TAKEN! FLAG DROPPED. FLAG TAKEN! FLAG DROPPED. FLAG TAKEN! FLAG DROPPED. FLAG TAKEN! FLAG DROPPED. FLAG TAKEN! FLAG DROPPED. FLAG TAKEN! FLAG DROPPED. FLAG TAKEN! FLAG DROPPED. FLAG TAKEN! FLAG DROPPED. FLAG TAKEN! FLAG DROPPED. FLAG TAKEN! FLAG DROPPED. FLAG TAKEN! FLAG DROPPED. FLAG TAKEN! FLAG DROPPED. FLAG TAKEN! FLAG DROPPED. FLAG TAKEN! FLAG DROPPED. FLAG TAKEN! FLAG DROPPED. FLAG TAKEN! FLAG DROPPED. FLAG TAKEN! FLAG DROPPED. FLAG TAKEN! FLAG DROPPED. FLAG TAKEN! FLAG DROPPED.

chapel

Banned
Sai-kun said:
I actually wasn't booted, the internet in our dorm was reset and I took it as a sign that I should probably go do homework. :lol :lol What a nub.
Well supposedly he said he hit your IP right as you got kicked off. Whatever he did doesn't just affect xbl, but it hits your whole internet connection. He said he didn't do a full bot hit, but whatever. He is a pansy nub that has to get kicks by fucking with people. If he messed with me, it is super simple to force my router to renew my IP to a different one.

Fun customs guys.

MNC

So with Armor Lock, do you completely not take any damage? And you can stay in it until a meter drains, or can you stay in the position forever?

Top Bottom