• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Blueblur1

Letters said:
vi1wn.jpg
Awesome gif! :lol

Loam

Odrion said:
Everytime I seen someone use the focus rifle it takes almost or all of the gun's clip to kill someone.

Not to mention using it is like having a giant arrow over your head letting everyone know where you are. At least with the current snipers you can sometimes squeeze off a few shots before giving a position away, having a giant beam tracing back to you can not be a good thing.

First impression is that the focus rifle is too powerful but we're going to have to wait and see. Those with F&F invites please let us know what it's really like on Thursday!

Schmitty

Grady Durden said:
First impression is that the focus rifle is too powerful but we're going to have to wait and see. Those with F&F invites please let us know what it's really like on Thursday!
It may only be on Boneyard, so we wouldn't see it until a week after public beta opens up.

Not so much reach related... but, anyone else a little disappointed with the new direction of RvB? Personally I think they need to tone down the amount of cgi stuff. It's kinda jarring, especially with the discontinuity in the rendering style and animation.

I also fear they might start relying on the cgi as a crutch, which would take away from the splendid voice acting and writing.

Part of the charm in the series was that crude-ness, it played to the concept of 'life in a videogame', something else lost in the new series. I still remember one of the first lines from the original series poking fun of the fact they were pretty much trapped in blood gulch for no apparent reason, a question that many gamers have asked.

That said, some of the new effects that the cgi provides also helps with immersion, which I hope remain.

Hato-kun

les papillons sexuels said:
Not so much reach related... but, anyone else getting a little disappointed with the new direction of RvB? I think they need to tone down the amount of cg stuff just a bit. It's kinda jarring, especially with the discontinuity in the rendering style and animation.

I also fear they might start relying on the cg as a crutch, which would take away from the splendid voice acting and writing.

part of the charm in the series was that crude-ness, it played to the concept of 'life in a videogame', something else lost in the new series. I still remember one of the first lines from the original series poking fun of the fact they were pretty much trapped in blood gulch for no apparent reason, a question that many gamers have asked.

That said, some of the new effect that the cgi provides also helps with immersion.
Sorry, that's in the other room.

Schmitty

Son of Godzilla said:
Can't decide, playthrough Halo 3 and ODST for the second times ever now, or wait till after Beta for epic Halo Franchise Redux run over the summer?
I'm doing all Halo replays during the summer.

Dani said:
Right, going to throw this out early.

Anyone wanting to hook up with other GAFers during the Beta, use this Gamertag. Via the Friends of Friends and Active Roaster, come Beta time you shouldn't have a problem finding folks to hook up and frag with.

Add GT: HALOGAFBETA

(that's all caps!)

Thought it might be a good idea to start filling it up early. If or when it reaches the max friend limit, we'll have another ready.

Feel free to use it. =)
Added! Looking forward to playing some games with you guys when the beta hits.

Veelk

Banned
While I'm in the wait and see side on whether the focus rifle is overpowered, for the people who are defending it by saying it over heats easily: Can't someone just let it cool down before a kill? It seem to happen rather fast from what I see. When you reach critical heat, cool down a bit and then finish your opponent off. It doesn't cool down ALL the way, obviously, but considering how the focus rifle eats up shields and health, a little bit will go a long way.

feel

Son of Godzilla said:
Can't decide, playthrough Halo 3 and ODST for the second times ever now, or wait till after Beta for epic Halo Franchise Redux run over the summer?
Do it now, and then again!! Having played a Halo campaign only twice is SHAMEFUL for a Halo fan I tell ya!

unless it's halo2, I don't care what anyone says, that one was pretty baaad and one of the biggest gaming disappointments of my life /flamesuit on

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Letters said:
Do it now, and then again!! Having played a Halo campaign only twice is SHAMEFUL for a Halo fan I tell ya!

unless it's halo2, I don't care what anyone says, that one was pretty baaad and one of the biggest gaming disappointments of my life /flamesuit on

I completely agree with you.

Letters said:

Biggest gaming disappointments of your life? Either you're exaggerating a lot, or you had some ridiculous expectations of Halo 2.

Pappasman

Reading the youtube comments on reach videos is a bit annoying. It's just a bunch of kids who wish they were in MLG complaining.

youtube kid said:
Sprinting? They took out the main weapon from Halo 2 and 3, BR. No more beam rifle in exchange a dumb ass scoped in sentinal beam. Jetpacks? There won't be any MLG for this game. Everything is gone. No more flag running? That's a strategic role...

SMH

I actually played through Halo 2 campaign for the first time almost directly after the Halo 3 beta finished and loved the shit out of it. The first third or so, with MC running around the five buildings that made up Earth was pretty terribad, but once he landed on Delta Halo the game became infuckincredible. Also I loved Arby from the word go.

Yes, I was one of those spazzes disappointed that the Halo 3 storytelling didn't turn out more like Halo 2. And actually pissed off at how much of a gimp role Arby had been casted in.

Uprising is still my favorite Halo level ever. Fuck whatever you were thinking about from H1.

Edit: The perils of being drunk and drunk on Halo- I've substituted the word Reach for pretty much every noun you can think of on Reach accident.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Pappasman said:
Reading the youtube comments on reach videos is a bit annoying. It's just a bunch of kids who wish they were in MLG complaining.

SMH

Never read youtube comments, your life will be much better trust me. :D

feel

Ajemsuhgao said:
Biggest gaming disappointments of your life? Either you're exaggerating a lot, or you had some ridiculous expectations of Halo 2.
Yeah, my expectations were crazy. I was expecting it to feel like an improved sequel to Halo CE, which at the time for me was like a mindblowing gift from the gods, easily becoming my favorite game ever, and giving countless hours of campaign fun solo or coop. Halo 2 just felt too different for me, and not in a good way.

Mind you, I'm only talking about campaign. Eventually after seeing everyone commenting on the great mp, I gave it a chance, and liked it a lot.

Son of Godzilla said:
I actually played through Halo 2 campaign for the first time almost directly after the Halo 3 beta finished and loved the shit out of it. The first third or so, with MC running around the five buildings that made up Earth was pretty terribad, but once he landed on Delta Reach the game became infuckincredible. Also I loved Arby from the word go.

Yes, I was one of those spazzes disappointed that the Halo 3 storytelling didn't turn out more like Halo 2. And actually pissed off at how much of a gimp role Arby had been casted in.

Uprising is still my favorite Halo level ever. Fuck whatever you were thinking about from H1.

Pretty much my thoughts, except that I actually liked Metropolis, anticlimactic Scarab battle notwithstanding.

giga

The armor upgrades really add a whole new dynamic to the gameplay. Watching the gamesradar video of Luke playing really showed how effective that evade maneuver is.

Matty McDee

Neo Member
giga said:
The armor upgrades really add a whole new dynamic to the gameplay. Watching the gamesradar video of Luke playing really showed how effective that evade maneuver is.
Sure its effective but that video didn't put it to the proper test.

I mean he was playing against the media. Who were probably like:

Image-28290-203468-I_am_.jpg

Pappasman

Letters said:

seriously? i loved every second of it.

I am still trying to catch up with all the videos and info to be gathered out of them. Any crazy assassinations seen in the videos? I think so far I have only seen the same 3 or so. But wow is this footage so good.. The visuals are so nice looking. I would really love for a first person passenger view for the Hog.. It looked really crazy in the giantbomb vid. Maybe its a theater option?

Louis Wu said:
When I left (on Thursday), there were about 1100 posts in this thread.

Now, there are over 4000.

I've gone through all of them, and will be summarizing the new stuff you guys mentioned that HBO didn't already touch on soon. Thanks!

EDIT: Posted. HaloGAF Delivers.

Awesome. I probably should have tried to post a second picture of the cake to show all the little details. Even if the rocks did look like dog poop.. :lol

feel

Pappasman said:
seriously? i loved every second of it.
It surprises me that so much people like it. I would probably like it if I played it nowadays, but back then it disappointed me after hyping it so much. Let's just forget I said anything, and let the Reach talk continue. :)

Letters said:
It surprises me that so much people like it. I would probably like it much more if I played it nowadays, but back then it disappointed me after waiting for so long. Let's just forget I said anything, and let the Reach talk continue. :)
Not to harp on Halo 2 so much, and by all means I encourage first impressions to be best impressions, but I think one of the most amazing things Bungie did with this series was to take the sheer thrill offered by the final encounter in Halo 2 - the one right before Tartarus where it's just you locked in a room with a handful of brutes - and replicate it so well, from the Brute bowling pin defense in Crows Nest to the invisible mauler nightmares of The Covenant. It's just a genuinely impressive understanding of what worked best in the previous game and an incredible iteration upon it.

vhfive

Fun customs tonight, still not quite sure how it happened though. One sec its 1v1 against Laszlo on Blackout the next its 7v7 on Valhalla with me not knowing half of the people playing :lol . Still was lots of fun.

Laszlo get the cock out of your mouth

rac

Banned
vhfive said:
Fun customs tonight, still not quite sure how it happened though. One sec its 1v1 against Laszlo on Blackout the next its 7v7 on Valhalla with me not knowing half of the people playing :lol . Still was lots of fun.

Yeah customs were a lot of fun.
When you weren't standbying.

Schmitty said:
What page do I have to search for the quest about 15 year olds and mics? I've tried profanity, muting, etc. And thanks GB for not counting the 35 minute long video I watched inside that article. I didn't skip anything either.
I had the same problem Schmitty. Don't watch the video on the article page. Go to the videos section and watch it there. Afterward, click on a new video from the same page and an alert should pop up alerting you that you completed it.

Generic said:
While I'm in the wait and see side on whether the focus rifle is overpowered, for the people who are defending it by saying it over heats easily: Can't someone just let it cool down before a kill? It seem to happen rather fast from what I see. When you reach critical heat, cool down a bit and then finish your opponent off. It doesn't cool down ALL the way, obviously, but considering how the focus rifle eats up shields and health, a little bit will go a long way.
I just don't know how anyone can point the finger at a weapon that takes more than 2 seconds to kill someone, plus overheats, and completely ignore how powerful the sniper rifle is. Too much Halo Reach Beta induced euphoria is trippin people. :lol

Letters said:
It surprises me that so much people like it. I would probably like it if I played it nowadays, but back then it disappointed me after hyping it so much. Let's just forget I said anything, and let the Reach talk continue. :)
If we're talking about campaign alone, I absolutely loathed the campaign in Halo2. I haven't enjoyed a campaign mission since Halo:CE, and that includes ODST. But I guess I'm also hard to please.

I was disappointed in Halo2's multiplayer as well, but xbox-live killed having any Halo1 LANs and I was forced to accept Halo2. It is a good game, but I had expectations of the game going in a different direction, similar to what you stated earlier. But no worries.

Sai-kun

Banned
vhfive said:

Who the fuck was that random kid that joined? :lol

i'll be your battle bro bro <3

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Schmitty said:
I'm doing all Halo replays during the summer.

I was planning the same thing. I have already started Halo:CE on legendary a while back and was looking for a reason to get back to it. Reach is the incentive to get my Halo back on.

GhaleonEB

InvincibleAgent said:
No hitscan though.
Just so he's not sad and confused come next week:
needlerifle.png

The Needle Rifle is the Covenant’s answer to the DMR. You’ll want to use it at mid to long range and begin by aiming for the body until you see the shields pop. Just like the Needler, it takes six rounds to tear through a Spartan’s shielding and seven to eat through an Elite’s.

Unlike the DMR, you can hold the trigger down if you choose, though you’ll suffer significant bloom with each new shot fired and your ammunition will actually super-combine if you stick just three needles into an unshielded opponent. None of your shots will track, however.

If you go for the brainpan, you won’t need to worry about counting if you’ve already removed the shields from the equation. One needle to the dome will get the job done (and make your foe look like a pretty, pretty unicorn if you pop ‘em right between the eyes).​
http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=BWU_040910

Top Bottom